ADVERTISEMENT

Will Duzzer and Cignetti hit the portal hard in off-season for their starting QB?

Zeldas Open Roof

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2018
im just thinking about 2024 and you'll have the psu kid, Yarney, a redshirt Fr in Dieffenbach, a true freshman in the penn hills guy...

is that enough for the coaching staff to go with for '24 or are we going to yet again, look for our starting qb? My guess, and it's only a guess, is yes..

the only thing i can see and this is a long shot is if Jurk gets hurt or faulters and Yarnell or more likely the psu kid plays and plays very well, then maybe you dont have too. but honestly, i dont see that happening..

Obviously you have the options of yarnell or dieffenbach transferring out too. not saying they will but in today's game of musical chairs, it can happen. that would def facilitate the need to hit the portal.

im just thinking about 2024 and you'll have the psu kid, Yarney, a redshirt Fr in Dieffenbach, a true freshman in the penn hills guy...

is that enough for the coaching staff to go with for '24 or are we going to yet again, look for our starting qb? My guess, and it's only a guess, is yes..

the only thing i can see and this is a long shot is if Jurk gets hurt or faulters and Yarnell or more likely the psu kid plays and plays very well, then maybe you dont have too. but honestly, i dont see that happening..

Obviously you have the options of yarnell or dieffenbach transferring out too. not saying they will but in today's game of musical chairs, it can happen. that would def facilitate the need to hit the portal.
It depends how the QB’s perform, but you should always be looking to improve your team. The portal is a just another avenue to use.

No need to guess. There’s no prospective studs on this roster. The answer is yes at the moment. Unless as you said someone unexpectedly gets a shot and kills it.

It seems to me that Veilleux was brought in to be the presumptive starter in 2024, but things can and do change.

It seems to me that Veilleux was brought in to be the presumptive starter in 2024, but things can and do change.
I think you’re likely correct but he’s still an unknown. So for that reason they should still be pounding the portal hard and see where it goes.

Agree you need to kick the tires in the portal and expect they'll take someone most years.

I think the thought process is Veilleux is the guy, but you never know who you'll lose to that same portal. Dugger is a project at QB and will take some time. They either need another recruit or someone out of the portal.

Yes, they'll hit the portal. The only question is what kind of option they'll be seeking. If they're not completely confident in Veilleux, they may get a one-year guy who would be expected to either start or compete for a starting job.

If they are confident in Veilleux, they may get a multi-year guys who will just bolster their QB room (perhaps while simultaneously serving as a backup, depending on how they feel about the other guys on the roster).

And if, for example, Veilleux is a clear cut ahead of Yarnell, then expect Yarnell to transfer... in which case they'd need another body in the QB room anyway.

If you just look at how long Narduzzi has been here and see the number of QBs we've brought in to fulfill various roles, I think you'd be foolish not to expect one just about every year. Peterman, Browne, Yellen, Slovis, Jurkovec, Town, George Jr., Kyler, Veilleux... am I missing anyone?

I would think Vielleux would take over, right??

Yarnell is the only one of those guys that has a single pass for Pitt in live action. So there is a lot left to play out. But it is going to depend on how Yarnell and Diffenbach progress. Going from last year, Pitt had Slovis, Patti, and Yarnell and still brought in Derek Kyler as a contingency. So I would think they still add someone else, it would just depend on whether that is a QB2 or insurance policy. Dugger is probably 100% a redshirt, so not really a factor in the decision at all for next season.

I would think Vielleux would take over, right??
i dont know, Narduzzi wont answer any of my calls.. i'd assume he's the front runner, just curious if you guys think they would roll the dice with a QB battle with Deiff-Yarney and him or want to bring in another grad transfer.

Doubt Yarnell will leave (just because he hasn't already) but yes, you're going probably going to look anyway because you pretty much have to.

If it's clear that Veilleux is the guy or if we bring in another guy to seemingly compete for the top spot, I think he will. He probably graduates this year ('20, '21, '22, '23).

Guys like Patti are definitely the exception.

I think Yarnell only played in 8 games in high school. (not sure the number, but thats not far off) So he had a big learning curve when he came to Pitt. I still think he has a lot of potential, but if he isn't seriously in the mix to start in 24 coming out of spring practice next year, I think he would probably look to transfer to school where he can play.

Cigs recruiting since he returned to Pitt suggests he favors QBs that have mobility. That would favor Veilleux.

Regardless, I think they look at the portal every year, whether that's for the starter or capable backup.

I think the PSU kid was brought in to be the starter after this year. That doesn't mean if they aren't convinced after seeing him this year they won't look to add someone else

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT