ADVERTISEMENT

Wins gaining significance

_DBHoops

Scholarship
Feb 17, 2021
Gage Curry's SV win over LHU's Anthony Noto at the Clarion Open is Noto's only loss this season. Noto is 17-1, ranked #17/28/31.

James Lledo's 4-3 win over Maryland's Kyle Cochran at the same tourney is Cochran's only loss this season. Cochran later beat Lledo 4-0 in the Maryland dual. Cochran is 14-1 and about to shoot up the rankings after pulling three straight upsets and winning Southern Scuffle.

Reactions: persp and Ryno53
Anyone know if Lledo could make 174? He wrestled 160 as a HS senior (38-4), and has always looked small at his current weight. If Harvey is healthy and ready to go the rest of the year, feels like Lledo could have a shot to win the 174 spot.

@bwh05

Reactions: persp and gary2
Anyone know if Lledo could make 174? He wrestled 160 as a HS senior (38-4), and has always looked small at his current weight. If Harvey is healthy and ready to go the rest of the year, feels like Lledo could have a shot to win the 174 spot.

@bwh05
He could but I don't think he beats Luca. I'm not sure even Kernan beats Luca at this point. Hunter has regressed since the Clarion Open and I think it's the same confidence issues that I've always seen from him.

Lledo needs more than just his throws and headlocks to rely on. Once teams caught on to his game, he was much less effective. I love that he hunts pins, but he is far too reliant on it. He needs secondary attacks that he can work for when his throws aren't there and he just doesn't have anything that he is consistent with in that regard. He is still young though, so he can develop something still. But as of now, he is a one trick pony. Stop that trick and you will beat him.

Reactions: _DBHoops
Yeah I should have specificied that I meant the 174 spot this year, sorry.

Plus isn't Lledo kind of the guy for 184 next year, unless we get a transfer? If so, I guess it makes more sense to stay there than bounce back and forth.

Reactions: persp
I don’t think he’s the answer at 184 but he’s all we got next year, and I believe there plan is for Kernan to go 165 when wentzel graduates and Luca at 174.

Reactions: _DBHoops and persp
I don’t think he’s the answer at 184 but he’s all we got next year, and I believe there plan is for Kernan to go 165 when wentzel graduates and Luca at 174.
I agree with that. Kernan seems like a smallish 174. He doesn't look out of place, but he could be better at 165. I do think he will need to be more active and aggressive at 165 though. I can see fast, athletic guys giving him a lot of trouble at that weight. And then there are those confidence issues too

Reactions: bwh05 and jctrack
Harvey’s win over Burkhart from Lehigh gained some significance today too. Burkhart beat #13 Loew from Cornell.

Great dual overall. Lehigh won 18-15 over #8 Cornell

I agree with that. Kernan seems like a smallish 174. He doesn't look out of place, but he could be better at 165. I do think he will need to be more active and aggressive at 165 though. I can see fast, athletic guys giving him a lot of trouble at that weight. And then there are those confidence issues too
He’s really a 165

Reactions: jctrack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT