ADVERTISEMENT

Wolf smacked down again - Bring on the fans to high school sports contests !!!

superstein61a

Senior
Mar 31, 2019
And hopefully the next step is colleges and pros

The number of fans permitted to attend a high school sports contest might soon be a decision schools can make on their own.

The state Senate passed a bill Wednesday by a 39-11 vote that gives individual schools the power to decide if — and how many — spectators would be allowed at games, despite the COVID-19 pandemic. The bill was passed by the state House of Representatives, 155-47, last week.

State Rep. Mike Reese, R-Westmoreland/Somerset, said he is “hopeful” the bill could be on Gov. Tom Wolf’s desk by Thursday. He has 10 days to act and can veto the bill. But the House and Senate can override the veto because it passed by a two-third majority in both the House and Senate.

Reactions: Farnox
He will veto it and then if the house and senate override his veto he will just shut down HS activities.

I fully expect him to veto this one. They had the opportunity to do this prior to the start of the season and they didn't.

Btw, it would've been easier if the PIAA just had a standard set of rules for the health and safety of student athletes as well as a set of rules for when spectators were permitted. Too much inconsistency between schools regarding the event management of athletes and spectators.

He will veto it and then if the house and senate override his veto he will just shut down HS activities.

I just read Mike White's article and it sounds like you're spot on:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/highschool/2020/09/09/pennsylvania-fall-high-school-sports-specators-legislation-tom-wolf/stories/202009090157

Lyndsay Kensinger, press secretary for Mr. Wolf, said the governor plans to veto the bill.

“This bill would allow for the potential gathering of thousands in close proximity, a widely-reported, well-known public health risk,” she said in an e-mail. “Instead of passing unnecessary legislation like this, the Republican legislative majority should do things to help people impacted by the pandemic like funding for small businesses, child care funding, and paid sick leave for employees.”

So stupid. Its a pandemic. You don't need 5000 people cramming into a low-level HS football game. Priorities. 250 is enough. The parents can go and that's enough.

Its interesting that Pitt and Temple weren't added to this bill. Surely, if PSU was playing, they would want at least half capacity up there.

So stupid. Its a pandemic. You don't need 5000 people cramming into a low-level HS football game. Priorities. 250 is enough. The parents can go and that's enough.

Its interesting that Pitt and Temple weren't added to this bill. Surely, if PSU was playing, they would want at least half capacity up there.
Parents can't go. 250 includes the players and support staff, it also includes cheerleaders and band. My son plays high school football. There are 50 kids on the team roughly 50 in band 10 coaches and refs etc. They are near the 250 already only spectators allowed are senior parents.

Reactions: Alabama_Dreaming
Parents can't go. 250 includes the players and support staff, it also includes cheerleaders and band. My son plays high school football. There are 50 kids on the team roughly 50 in band 10 coaches and refs etc. They are near the 250 already only spectators allowed are senior parents.

You don't need cheerleaders and the band. They have their own competitions. For football, they are just there for support and to watch the game.

Home team: 50 players, 10 coaches and staff

Visiting team: 50 players, 10 coaches

Refs, admin: 10

Each home player gets 2 tickets. You can reduce that by not allowing JV player parents to come since they play their own game and allow the band to come or maybe senior band and senior cheerleaders.

Its very doable.

And probably very few WPIAL teams even have 50 players anymore.

leave Granny at home (heard somewhere there is an old folk pandemic going on)...everyone else will do fine..

now, if you will excuse me I have to do some laundry. Going to a Covid-Schmovid Speakeasy tomorrow night to see a band and honor 9-11 and law enforcement and I want to look good...

Reactions: Farnox and DORT
You don't need cheerleaders and the band. They have their own competitions. For football, they are just there for support and to watch the game.

Each home player gets 2 tickets. You can reduce that by not allowing JV player parents to come since they play their own game and allow the band to come or maybe senior band and senior cheerleaders.

Its very doable.

You don't need parents. Band members and cheerleaders are high school students. They should certainly be the first "fans" admitted to a high school sporting event. Remaining tickets should first be made available to the student bodies of both schools. High school sports are not played for parents or any other adult.

Reactions: Ski11585
You don't need parents. Band members and cheerleaders are high school students. They should certainly be the first "fans" admitted to a high school sporting event. Remaining tickets should first be made available to the student bodies of both schools. High school sports are not played for parents or any other adult.
High school sports are not played for parents...huh? One thing I do know is high school sports should not be played for band exhibitions...

He absolutely will veto it and it will be overridden. That gives wolf cover. He could let it sit on his desk for ten days but I think he already vetoed it. It is my understanding this bill gives the individual school districts or conferences the right to decide if fans will be permitted and how many. I expect most will allow fans but with a reasonable limit of say 25% capacity. This would be fair and still safe.

He absolutely will veto it and it will be overridden. That gives wolf cover. He could let it sit on his desk for ten days but I think he already vetoed it. It is my understanding this bill gives the individual school districts or conferences the right to decide if fans will be permitted and how many.
seems to me it is a helluva lot safer to have more people gain entry to the field than having them stand shoulder to shoulder with faces up against fences behind the endzones looking in...

Of the high schools AD’s I have talked to that are able to have spectators the most common plan is to have the band perform before the game and let those parents in and then clear the stadium of the band and those parents and then game tickets go to the seniors parents of the football players and cheerleaders.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
You don’t need parents at high school events.
you don't need bands (or for that matter students who don't even pay attention to the game half the time) either, correct? Yep, let's lock out the folks who do the uniform laundry and spend years and years fundraising and operating concession stands and doing 50/50 sales and taking kids to and from practices and endless camps etc. out so that "student" Heather can show off her new boots while she stares at her phone for three hours.....hahaha

Odd, I never used to see football loving students at scrimmage games...just parents.

Last edited:

Wow are you wrong as usual. Parents should be there in case of an injury to they're sons and or daughters. No parent wants called at home and told hey, meet your kid at the ER.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Do parents sit in school with their kids? Do they ride the bus with their kids? Are they always home when the kid gets home from school or practice?

you don't need bands (or for that matter students who don't even pay attention to the game half the time) either, correct? Yep, let's lock out the folks who do the uniform laundry and spend years and years fundraising and operating concession stands and doing 50/50 sales and taking kids to and from practices and endless camps etc. out so that "student" Heather can show off her new boots while she stares at her phone for three hours.....hahaha

Odd, I never used to see football loving students at scrimmage games...just parents.

I just hope kids don't grow up to be as big of crybabies as their parents.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
no.
no.
no.

my turn, what the hell are you getting at?

What if the kid gets hurt in school? What if the bus crashes on the way to school or the big game? What if the kid gets hurt while mom and dad are at work or at play? Come on. A UPJ education should have made you a little smarter.

What if the kid gets hurt in school? What if the bus crashes on the way to school or the big game? What if the kid gets hurt while mom and dad are at work or at play? Come on. A UPJ education should have made you a little smarter.
then the parents are called.

Parent availability dependent each and every case. Parents usually available and present at 7:30pm on Friday nights.

I did not take "Absurd Reasoning 101" as an elective.... think I took "History of Jazz" instead. You remind me a lot of Jelly Roll Morton.

How is that absurd reasoning?

Parent availability dependent each and every case. Parents usually available and present at 7:30pm on Friday nights.

I did not take "Absurd Reasoning 101" as an elective.... think I took "History of Jazz" instead. You remind me a lot of Jelly Roll Morton.
Therefore, if the kid gets hurt playing football, then the parents are called.

Its very doable.

There are usually only one or two band competitions a year. Getting to go to games is part of the band's performances and matter just as much as what the players are doing on the field.

High school sports are not played for parents...huh? One thing I do know is high school sports should not be played for band exhibitions...

High school games aren't about parents. They are about the high school students participating. That includes the band and cheerleaders.

High school games aren't about parents. They are about the high school students participating. That includes the band and cheerleaders.

In our“me first WUT ABOUT MUH FREEDUM” culture people don’t give two shits about what is best overall. You’re 100% correct, but most of the meatheads you’re going to debate are just gonna scream FOOTBAW!!! and have no actual ability to think beyond that.

Band members and cheerleaders are not competing. They have their own competitions that their parents can go to.

He absolutely will veto it and it will be overridden. That gives wolf cover. He could let it sit on his desk for ten days but I think he already vetoed it. It is my understanding this bill gives the individual school districts or conferences the right to decide if fans will be permitted and how many. I expect most will allow fans but with a reasonable limit of say 25% capacity. This would be fair and still safe.

Well, one thing is for sure, we need 5K people at the Wolvarena but its far too dangerous to have 5K at Heinz or Lincoln Financial Field for college and pro games.

Band members and cheerleaders are not competing. They have their own competitions that their parents can go to.

There are only a limited number of band competitions a year. Football games are the primary way they participate in their activity. That is no less important than football just because you think so. They should not be punished by having opportunities taken away to perform.

Reactions: superstein61a
There are only a limited number of band competitions a year. Football games are the primary way they participate in their activity. That is no less important than football just because you think so. They should not be punished by having opportunities taken away to perform.

It is absolutely less important because they are not competing. They have their own chance to do that. I would be all in favor of allowing the band to show up after the game to play their post-game show. I'd also be in favor of creative ways for the actual band and cheerleaders to attend (like only seniors).

It is absolutely less important because they are not competing. They have their own chance to do that. I would be all in favor of allowing the band to show up after the game to play their post-game show. I'd also be in favor of creative ways for the actual band and cheerleaders to attend (like only seniors).

The purpose of the band is not necessarily to compete. Not every high school band participates in band competitions. And even if they do, there is only one or two opportunities to do that a year. Their active engagement in their school activity is more important than spectators for a high school game. Their ability to participate in their activity is not less important than football players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT