Jul 5, 2001
Not the worst performance for our players. They fell
behind early and were badly outplayed in the first
Qtr. After falling behind 5-0 after a minute and a half
we started to get better guard play out front, especially
by Timmerson. She actually could have tied it at
5-5 if she hit her FT's. Marley W. sat while Battle
and Timmerson handled it out front. Perkins did
return and played better, hitting 3 three3's.
Marley also played better in the second half, I
think Verdi's benching her and Perkins may have
sent a message. Battle and Timmerson are going
see more minutes. However today Battle was held
scoreless. She's smooth but seems a bit hesitant.

The big difference for us, was King shook off some
tough D, and started hitting inside while Malcolm
started hitting from outside.. She's a pure shooter
with some weaknesses in her floor game, but she
has to play because she's one of our few scoring
threats. The better team won today. They were better
in all phases of the game both inside and outside.
They had shooters as proven by their 9-19 Threes.
They also dominated inside, except for the play of
King who had 6 blocks. That's amazing given her
size. She also had another double-double
despite being keyed on every time down the floor.

Last edited:
And today we saw more end of game fouling stupidity. Pitt didn't foul late in the game. They scored with 1:08 left in the game which put them down 9. I can understand thinking 9 points, just over a minute to go, we aren't going to win, so no fouls. I think it's too early to think that, and I would have fouled. But I understand.

So Pitt gets a turnover with 37 seconds left, but misses their shot. So down 9, and with 15 seconds left to go in the game the Pitt bench is yelling for them to foul. And they do. But it's only the third team foul. So they foul again with 8 seconds. And then again with 6 seconds. Tech makes one of two for the final margin of victory.

So here's what I'm asking. Someone, anyone, make sense of it for me. Last game you weren't fouling in the last minute down six and then five. Today you weren't fouling down nine with a minute to go. And yet down nine with 15 seconds left you start fouling. It's incomprehensible.

Someone make it make sense.

And today we saw more end of game fouling stupidity. Pitt didn't foul late in the game. They scored with 1:08 left in the game which put them down 9. I can understand thinking 9 points, just over a minute to go, we aren't going to win, so no fouls. I think it's too early to think that, and I would have fouled. But I understand.

So Pitt gets a turnover with 37 seconds left, but misses their shot. So down 9, and with 15 seconds left to go in the game the Pitt bench is yelling for them to foul. And they do. But it's only the third team foul. So they foul again with 8 seconds. And then again with 6 seconds. Tech makes one of two for the final margin of victory.

So here's what I'm asking. Someone, anyone, make sense of it for me. Last game you weren't fouling in the last minute down six and then five. Today you weren't fouling down nine with a minute to go. And yet down nine with 15 seconds left you start fouling. It's incomprehensible.

It's not you LOL
There is no one who knows bball, has experienced it as a
coach or as a player, will ever explain it to you. I mentioned
to you yesterday to check out the ST. John's WVU thread
where I saw it in a mens game. You also posted about Lowe
and Bub screaming "foul em" at the ND game. All bball
players would be yelling the same thing. It's as basic as
the ball is round and the floor is flat. Worse yet, I
didn't realize we had fouls to give at the end of yesterday's
game. That makes it even more of a head scratcher.

I've written it off as an oddity logic wise. However I also
will never understand how any coach can conceed defeat
even if it's only one in a million chance to pull it out. What
message are you sending to your players when you do that?
Good grief!

Malcolm is terrific if she can catch and shoot from 3. But the team rarely seems to set her up for that.

Course there was one possession in the first half when a pass was made out to a wide open Malcolm at the three-point line but instead of shooting it, she drove toward the basket. Maddening…

Interesting that the 3rd quarter is Pitt’s best quarter. The first quarter must be their worst as they normally struggle to get to double figures…

Liatu must be totally exhausted after these games.

Go Pitt.

Like you, I dont agree with their non-fouling strategy but you say this happens in many women's games and the end of game strategies differ from the men's. It has to be that the women's coaches feel they are giving up an automatic 2 by fouling. There's no other explanation. As for why Pitt wouldnt foul down 9 with 1:08 but would with 15 seconds left is because they felt if they fouled with 1:08, they would go down 11 so there was no point. They HAD to foul with 15 seconds left unless they were ok letting GT dribble out the clock.

As for why Pitt wouldnt foul down 9 with 1:08 but would with 15 seconds left is because they felt if they fouled with 1:08, they would go down 11 so there was no point. They HAD to foul with 15 seconds left unless they were ok letting GT dribble out the clock.

That might be the thinking, but that thinking makes absolutely no sense. You basically have no chance at all to win down 9 with 15 seconds left, even if you foul every chance you get. If you think there is no chance that fouling helps with 1:08 left down 9 then you simply can't be dumb enough to think fouling with 15 seconds left down 9 is a good idea.

It's not you LOL
There is no one who knows bball, has experienced it as a
coach or as a player, will ever explain it to you. I mentioned
to you yesterday to check out the ST. John's WVU thread
where I saw it in a mens game. You also posted about Lowe
and Bub screaming "foul em" at the ND game. All bball
players would be yelling the same thing. It's as basic as
the ball is round and the floor is flat. Worse yet, I
didn't realize we had fouls to give at the end of yesterday's
game. That makes it even more of a head scratcher.

I've written it off as an oddity logic wise. However I also
will never understand how any coach can conceed defeat
even if it's only one in a million chance to pull it out. What
message are you sending to your players when you do that?
Good grief!
I have. Let me know where you stand,and I will tell you my background coaching on the high school level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT