ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer

All 3 goals in the final 16 minutes of the half. All 3 a little fluky but it just goes to show that good things happen when you get the ball into the box.

BTW, one self-proclaimed women’s soccer guru picked Pitt to bear tOSU, then upset Arkansas and ND before losing to FSU in the Quarters.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
There were 21 games tonight. The higher seeded team won 19 of them. Two of them are still ongoing. In those two Stanford (a two seed) is winning 2-0 in the 2nd half and UCLA (a one seed) is in a scoreless draw deep into the 2nd half. So it is possible that the higher seeded teams will go 21-0 tonight, and it looks like at worst they will be 20-1.

If Pitt wins tomorrow they get Arkansas, who beat Grambling today 5-0 on five second half goals.
We watched that UCLA game. Unbelievable!

Reactions: Chaos
So the higher seeded teams end up 20-1 yesterday, with a scoring margin of 54-5.

When and where is the Arkansas game?

The higher seed scoring margin and record is embarrassing. I dont understand it really. Women's soccer is so deep so this deserves some analysis. Are rosters too big? Do most girls take that P5 offer without any real shot to get playing time and NOT transfer down? Are female student-athletes.less likely to transfer? I dont know but the nature of the sport should produce upsets or at least close games. This shouldn't be women's college basketball

So there are 31 of the 32 first round games complete. There is one game tomorrow at noon to complete the round. The higher seeded teams are 29-2 so far. Oddly enough, both of the lower seeded teams to win are in the same half of the same regional, so theoretically if they both win their next game they play in the sweet 16. In the other three regionals the teams seeded 1-8 have all won (with the exception of the game that hasn't been played yet).

So far the higher seeds have outscored the lower seeds 76-8.

• Wow
When and where is the Arkansas game?

The higher seed scoring margin and record is embarrassing. I dont understand it really. Women's soccer is so deep so this deserves some analysis. Are rosters too big? Do most girls take that P5 offer without any real shot to get playing time and NOT transfer down? Are female student-athletes.less likely to transfer? I dont know but the nature of the sport should produce upsets or at least close games. This shouldn't be women's college basketball
It is an interesting question. After watching low and mid major soccer a lot over the past 10 years, I can tell you that I’ve always been shocked at how bad it is.

Reactions: singregardless
Does anyone know if the next round will be televised anywhere? Haven’t seen anything announced yet but would like to watch if possible. Thanks.

So I looked ahead to see who might be a next round opponent for Pitt. Yeah I’m getting ahead of myself but I’m feeling a run.

We would get the Memphis/ND winner. I looked at the Memphis roster because I seem to remember a WPIAL player transferring there or committing there. I forget who it was but it seemed like a reach for me at the time, so maybe it was as a walk-on. In any event it appears she was recruited over and not on the roster. But here is the make-up of their roster:

11 Canada

3 Japan

2 Germany

11 American

That’s nuts to me.

• Wow
I believe there was a girl from Belle Vernon that was committed there, but never went there, went to Georgia State instead.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
This is probably a question for FK but I was looking at the Pitt roster and we have 2 Plum freshmen who played at Pittsburgh Hotspurs, who I dont believe is GA or ECNL. Can you go D1 if you dont play in those leagues?

This is probably a question for FK but I was looking at the Pitt roster and we have 2 Plum freshmen who played at Pittsburgh Hotspurs, who I dont believe is GA or ECNL. Can you go D1 if you dont play in those leagues?
Well that’s the problem that Beadling faced for years. They were always denied entry into the ECNL even though they were by far the best club in western pa. So they played in USYS and the players were all undervalued compared to ECNL players even though the Beadling teams were just as good. Then just a few years ago, Beadling and Century were admitted into the newly formed GA and recruiting picked up. As an example, Yaple didn’t play Beadling GA because the GA kicked in after she graduated. Coffields age group might have been USYS too. But Randy could identify local talent regardless of the league. Mertz was not GA at Century, which is why she went to Dayton.

I assume Hotspurs is still USYS.

Big slate of ncaa games today. Pitt punches the final ticket of the day with a win. Good viewing for those who have espn+ and prefer this to NFL football. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOF Coach
Pretty good games so far. Penn State gets by Saint Louis 4-3 in OT. Equally as crazy as the Pitt/Arkansas game.

Clemson goes through on PKs over UGA and UNC wins.

ACC still has a shot at 4 in the Elite 8. The Big Ten has 2 slots already filled with PSU and Nebraska.

Looking like the more dangerous squad right now.

The shame of it is, if they do advance, FSU awaits just like last year. And if there’s one thing we know, we aren’t quite at FSU’s level. But in soccer, that doesn’t always matter.

We’ve had good action. Some good crosses. I assume by Landy, but I wouldn’t know because this announce crew sucks. They don’t know the players and they have zero enthusiasm. Putting all the casual viewers to sleep.

Reactions: mike412
Looking like the more dangerous squad right now.

The shame of it is, if they do advance, FSU awaits just like last year. And if there’s one thing we know, we aren’t quite at FSU’s level. But in soccer, that doesn’t always matter.

Florida State was up two goals in the first ten minutes against Texas and cruised from there, 5-0.

So unfortunately we can't even really hope that their game is a little off, because it would seem they are hitting on all cylinders right now.

Florida State was up two goals in the first ten minutes against Texas and cruised from there, 5-0.

So unfortunately we can't even really hope that their game is a little off, because it would seem they are hitting on all cylinders right now.
Well we are due! Haven’t beat them in how many chances?

I thought we controlled most of the first half. But, they jumped on 3 mistakes we made and had one really good shot and two which weren’t close.

I expected more from Coffield on that free kick. She has to get it on frame. And Schupansky had a good chance in the box but shot it right at the GK.

I wonder how much the rain is affecting play. A few crosses that didn't connect; would they have connected on a dry field? You probably have to factor in the field and play the ball farther from goal than you otherwise would.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT