ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer

Joe the Panther Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Jul 6, 2001
We make the tournament as a seven seed and get a home game against Ohio State this weekend.

If we win we get either two seed Arkansas or Grambling. If we were to happen to win that one, the number three seed in our octet is Notre Dame.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Ohio State is a good team. They struggled early because their best player Sears was out. They have a good attack. Should be a fun matchup.

Pitt getting a 7 seed seems low but then again they played a very weak non-conference schedule.

Pitt getting a 7 seed seems low but then again they played a very weak non-conference schedule.

We were ranked 11 in the poll last week and are currently 18 in the RPI and got seeded as between the 25th and 28th team in the bracket.

Anyone who thinks that isn't the NCAA sending a message about the kind of schedule we played is wrong.

Reactions: jctrack
We were ranked 11 in the poll last week and are currently 18 in the RPI and got seeded as between the 25th and 28th team in the bracket.

Anyone who thinks that isn't the NCAA sending a message about the kind of schedule we played is wrong.
I wonder if they didn’t schedule a little leaner in the OOC this year knowing that Waldrum was going to be tied up for most of the preseason with the World Cup.

SMF doesn’t have a lot of respect for the women’s game. Or better stated, women in sport. If he checks into this thread tonight, I’d be surprised.

Tons of respect. I am just honest and the truth makes people uncomfortable. I have said that the best WPIAL women's soccer teams would beat boys teams. I watched a high level girls game recently and I am fairly convinced that the best 4A girls teams would beat even the BEST 1A boys teams. Friggin Bentworth won 1A boys. I am sorry but aint no way they are any good. I'll take the 4A girls with D1 players all over the field all day.

Tons of respect. I am just honest and the truth makes people uncomfortable. I have said that the best WPIAL women's soccer teams would beat boys teams. I watched a high level girls game recently and I am fairly convinced that the best 4A girls teams would beat even the BEST 1A boys teams. Friggin Bentworth won 1A boys. I am sorry but aint no way they are any good. I'll take the 4A girls with D1 players all over the field all day.
Oh man. I don’t yearn for the locker room, but your comment about the truth making people uncomfortable is a subject I’d love to discuss. Here isn’t the place.

As far as Bentworth soccer, that’s a tough one for me. I know my old AAAA girls JV teams would have beaten all of those Bentworth girls WPIAL champs teams. What those Bentworth teams typically have on the boys and girls side are 4-5 players who play club at victory express and maybe a player at Century. But the other half of their starting 11 are athletes from other sports or NARPS (non athletic regular people). So…assuming Bentworths boys starting 11 is half kids who play year round on a club team…I think they probably beat a good AAAA girls team. But I’d like to see it.

Oh man. I don’t yearn for the locker room, but your comment about the truth making people uncomfortable is a subject I’d love to discuss. Here isn’t the place.

As far as Bentworth soccer, that’s a tough one for me. I know my old AAAA girls JV teams would have beaten all of those Bentworth girls WPIAL champs teams. What those Bentworth teams typically have on the boys and girls side are 4-5 players who play club at victory express and maybe a player at Century. But the other half of their starting 11 are athletes from other sports or NARPS (non athletic regular people). So…assuming Bentworths boys starting 11 is half kids who play year round on a club team…I think they probably beat a good AAAA girls team. But I’d like to see it.

I mean I think they COULD beat a good girls team but I think the game could go either way. Hard to say. Basically you have a team of 5-6 D1 girls and 6-7 D2 girls vs like 3 D3 boys and the rest just normal boys.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I mean I think they COULD beat a good girls team but I think the game could go either way. Hard to say. Basically you have a team of 5-6 D1 girls and 6-7 D2 girls vs like 3 D3 boys and the rest just normal boys.
Yeah I agree.

Yeah I agree.

I am surprised you dont see any girls playing on HS boys teams around here. Take that Brownsville girl at UNC for example. She didnt play HS soccer and I dont blame her. Honestly, it would be foolish for her to play 1A Boys soccer vs fat (some of them), unathletic but overly physical boys. But, she would have been the best player in 1A boys and would have completely dominated. This is an extreme example where it probably wouldn't have made sense but you'd think like some D1 girl from some mid-tier WPIAL program would opt to play for the boys to challenge herself. And with social media and NIL, she could make money doing it.

I am surprised you dont see any girls playing on HS boys teams around here. Take that Brownsville girl at UNC for example. She didnt play HS soccer and I dont blame her. Honestly, it would be foolish for her to play 1A Boys soccer vs fat (some of them), unathletic but overly physical boys. But, she would have been the best player in 1A boys and would have completely dominated. This is an extreme example where it probably wouldn't have made sense but you'd think like some D1 girl from some mid-tier WPIAL program would opt to play for the boys to challenge herself. And with social media and NIL, she could make money doing it.
She wouldn’t have been the best player in A. In fact, probably not even an all WPIAL player.

She wouldn’t have been the best player in A. In fact, probably not even an all WPIAL player.

A future USWNT player would certainly be the best player in 1A boys unless there's some D1 boys I dont know about. OK, I forgot McIntyre.

Reactions: artp5
A future USWNT player would certainly be the best player in 1A boys unless there's some D1 boys I dont know about. OK, I forgot McIntyre.
There’s no way. Those catholic schools and academies all have very good players every year. The just don’t have enough of them. Then you have schools like Charleroi or whoever that get a random high end player through their programs. we can’t compare her to D1 players. That’s setting the bar too high. D1 boys will be far too superior to a stud female.

Will be interesting to keep an eye on this one. Soccer truly is a suburban upper middle class sport. Take this player for example, she’s from National Heights, played for the Internationals in Akron, didn’t play high school, and trained at Cryuff’s son in laws academy in Barcelona a few times. Her over enthusiastic Dad footed the bill for all of this, and he says she has a contract waiting for her to play for Barcelona when she graduates from UVA. I guess this means she will be dominating the ACC for the next 4 years.

Will be interesting to keep an eye on this one. Soccer truly is a suburban upper middle class sport. Take this player for example, she’s from National Heights, played for the Internationals in Akron, didn’t play high school, and trained at Cryuff’s son in laws academy in Barcelona a few times. Her over enthusiastic Dad footed the bill for all of this, and he says she has a contract waiting for her to play for Barcelona when she graduates from UVA. I guess this means she will be dominating the ACC for the next 4 years.

I don't understand your 1st 2 sentences. Natrona Heights is lower middle class to poor isnt it?

Is the Akron team really that much better than Beadling, Century, or Riverhounds? What league do they play in.

Back before they changed the rules to prohibit non-Spanish players under 16 from signing with Spanish teams/academies, the record of success of American boys signing with Barcelona and playing at La Masia was pretty much non-existent. Although the women’s’ team arguably is the best club team in the world right now, I don’t know what the history of La Masia has been in producing good woman players.

Last edited:
I don't understand your 1st 2 sentences. Natrona Heights is lower middle class to poor isnt it?

Is the Akron team really that much better than Beadling, Century, or Riverhounds? What league do they play in.
Do you think everyone in natrona heights is poor? Maybe they live in the big house on the other side of the tracks and up on the hill?

Bottom line is this…this father pulled out all the stops. Drove her to Akron 3-4 days per week, sent her to Barcelona at a couple thousand per pop just for the camp dues and did all of these things to help make her a better player.

As far as internationals go, they have a long history of success and a great reputation. They’re ECNL and have a direct pathway to USWNT. So I’m sure they are scouted much more and perceptually are better than the clubs around here. I’ve told the stories here before how our Beadling teams had our way with some of their top teams often, with our teams made up of mid major players vs their teams of high major players. So you tell me? The college coaches over value the international players. So if you’re a parent and you want the highest % chance of success, you’re going to take them to the internationals if you can swing it.

Do you think everyone in natrona heights is poor? Maybe they live in the big house on the other side of the tracks and up on the hill?

Bottom line is this…this father pulled out all the stops. Drove her to Akron 3-4 days per week, sent her to Barcelona at a couple thousand per pop just for the camp dues and did all of these things to help make her a better player.

As far as internationals go, they have a long history of success and a great reputation. They’re ECNL and have a direct pathway to USWNT. So I’m sure they are scouted much more and perceptually are better than the clubs around here. I’ve told the stories here before how our Beadling teams had our way with some of their top teams often, with our teams made up of mid major players vs their teams of high major players. So you tell me? The college coaches over value the international players. So if you’re a parent and you want the highest % chance of success, you’re going to take them to the internationals if you can swing it.

I dont know that program but is ECNL better than GA? I saw that Century had 10 girls sign with D1 schools. All mid-majors but still. I dont this Natrona Heights girl but driving to Akron 3-4 times per week when you have good programs in Pittsburgh is nutty. Would she not have been offered by UVa had she played locally? I bet she would have.

As for Natrona Heights, I guess I missed your point. Natrona Heights is a crappy town (no offense) but the family may be upper middle class or rich, who knows, so they can afford to drive her all over. Probably should have spent that money to live in a nicer town but hey, to each their own. I thought you meant like how good the soccer is in the richer suburbs and NH isn't one of those. That said, those types of towns are producing players too, maybe even more per capita. Charleroi, Deer Lakes, Connellsville, Brownsville, etc.

I dont know that program but is ECNL better than GA? I saw that Century had 10 girls sign with D1 schools. All mid-majors but still. I dont this Natrona Heights girl but driving to Akron 3-4 times per week when you have good programs in Pittsburgh is nutty. Would she not have been offered by UVa had she played locally? I bet she would have.

As for Natrona Heights, I guess I missed your point. Natrona Heights is a crappy town (no offense) but the family may be upper middle class or rich, who knows, so they can afford to drive her all over. Probably should have spent that money to live in a nicer town but hey, to each their own. I thought you meant like how good the soccer is in the richer suburbs and NH isn't one of those. That said, those types of towns are producing players too, maybe even more per capita. Charleroi, Deer Lakes, Connellsville, Brownsville, etc.
Don’t you mean National Heights not Natrona Heights...don’t know of any young lady from the Natrona heights ( Highlands school district) with this so-called potential in the sport of soccer !!!

Don’t you mean National Heights not Natrona Heights...don’t know of any young lady from the Natrona heights ( Highlands school district) with this so-called potential in the sport of soccer !!!

I googled her and couldn't find out where she's from but saw she played for Century then the Riverhounds then Internacionals. Sounds like one of those parents who always has an issue with their kid's coach so they move their kid to different teams all the time.

Reactions: Ray-Ray
Can’t wait to see her playing in the champions league final.
I googled her and couldn't find out where she's from but saw she played for Century then the Riverhounds then Internacionals. Sounds like one of those parents who always has an issue with their kid's coach so they move their kid to different teams all the time.

Reactions: mike412
Can’t wait to see her playing in the champions league final.

Girls from Highlands and Brownsville playing for the USWNT?

I see Beadling had 7 girls sign with D1s, including 3 going to the SEC. So that's 17 between those 2. Then there's Riverhounds and non-GA/ECNL who will probably put out a few.

I see Beadling had 7 girls sign with D1s, including 3 going to the SEC. So that's 17 between those 2. Then there's Riverhounds and non-GA/ECNL who will probably put out a few.
I just remember when Beadling was essentially the only big dog in town, and the message was “if you want to play at Canisius or Duquesne, we can help get you there. If you think you’re getting a scholarship to play at UNC or Duke, forget about it”. This was the message about a decade ago. Times have changed.

Of the 3 to the SEC, the one going to Auburn is Nikki Izzo Browns daughter who is following her sister to Auburn. That’s pretty cool.

There were 21 games tonight. The higher seeded team won 19 of them. Two of them are still ongoing. In those two Stanford (a two seed) is winning 2-0 in the 2nd half and UCLA (a one seed) is in a scoreless draw deep into the 2nd half. So it is possible that the higher seeded teams will go 21-0 tonight, and it looks like at worst they will be 20-1.

If Pitt wins tomorrow they get Arkansas, who beat Grambling today 5-0 on five second half goals.

As of right now the higher seeded teams today outscored the lower seeded teams 54-4. And half of those four were in Nebraska's 5-2 win over South Dakota State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT