ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer

NCAA site has Memphis winning and playing Fla St next???? ESPN has Pitt. Four ACC teams in Elite Eight

Reactions: Chaos
Great match by the girls. None of this surprises me. If you have watched this team over the last 10 matches, they have been getting better and better. However, If you have watched FSU women's soccer, they are at a different level. Gonna need some luck this next match, but you never know!

With 4 of 5 teams still alive into the quarterfinals, do you think they underseeded the ACC? Even with 2 number one seeds! Could have seen 2 more teams in the tourney.

Great match by the girls. None of this surprises me. If you have watched this team over the last 10 matches, they have been getting better and better. However, If you have watched FSU women's soccer, they are at a different level. Gonna need some luck this next match, but you never know!

With 4 of 5 teams still alive into the quarterfinals, do you think they underseeded the ACC? Even with 2 number one seeds! Could have seen 2 more teams in the tourney.
Pitt was definitely underseeded. They were ranked 11th-that should be a 3 seed.

One good point the announcers (otherwise very bland) made during the match: Of the 8 teams in Pitt’s bracket, 5 of them were ranked in the top 11 in the last NCAA regular season rankings: FSU, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Memphis and Pitt.

It was by-far the most loaded bracket in the country and they found it difficult to understand how they got seeded this way.

The NCAA keeps statistics on almost everything. I would love to see the one for goals scored off of set pieces (corner kicks and free kicks). We lead the nation in corner kicks per match and I would bet we lead the NCAA in goals off of set pieces. Two of the goals against Arkansas and two tonight that way. Waldrum must really practice set pieces.

Friday at 5:30 per NCAA.com
Sounds like a nice black Friday viewing evening…women’s soccer and men’s bball vs Florida.

EDIT: My mistake…men’s bball is Wednesday night. So Bball (Wed.), Thanksgiving (Thurs.), Women’s soccer (Fri.), football (Sat.). I’ll take that too 😀

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chaos and Fk_Pitt
Well, men's soccer has only had 2 College Cups and 3 Elite Eights in the last five straight NCAA appearances. So maybe just a "soccer/volleyball".

What an insane start to the decade.

2020 - MSOC Final 4/Weaver & Jones Consensus All-Americans
2021 - Volleyball Final 4/MSOC Elite 8/Football ACC Champs/Addison Biletnikoff/Pickett Heisman Finalist/Noel Herman Finalist/Champagnie 31 & 14 in a victory over Duke
2022 - MSOC Final 4/Volleyball Final 4/Volleyball ACC Champs/Wrestling ACC Regular Season Champs/WSOC Sweet 16/Kancey Consensus All-American + ACC DPOY/Pickett NFL 1st round pick
2023 - WSOC Elite 8/Bonaccorsi NCAA Champion/Revis NFL HOF/Kancey NFL 1st round pick/Bub triple double

We've also played on some of the biggest stages in sport like Madison Square Garden (2021), Cameron Indoor, Yankee Stadium (2023), Carmichael, and Barclay's (2022 & 2023).

These are the good old days.

Pitt was definitely underseeded. They were ranked 11th-that should be a 3 seed.

The RPI of Pitt's nonconference opponents was 152, 197, 121, 58, 179, 109, 19 (Xavier) and 120.

Pitt was seeded the way that they were because the NCAA is telling Pitt, and anyone else playing attention, that if you want a good seed in the NCAA tournament you have to schedule better than that. A lot better than that.

Reactions: mike412
There were only two teams that finished higher in the RPI than Pitt that played as many or more RPI 150+ teams as Pitt did. Memphis, RPI 14, 6 seed, and St Louis, RPI 15, 6 seed (there's a theme there). And the other difference there being not only were those two ranked higher in RPI than Pitt, they also won all those games. Pitt lost one of them, to Louisville.

In fact if you add up the collective records of the RPI top 33 excluding Pitt, Pitt lost more games against RPI 150+ teams, one, than all the other 32 combined, zero.

Well that’s the problem that Beadling faced for years. They were always denied entry into the ECNL even though they were by far the best club in western pa. So they played in USYS and the players were all undervalued compared to ECNL players even though the Beadling teams were just as good. Then just a few years ago, Beadling and Century were admitted into the newly formed GA and recruiting picked up. As an example, Yaple didn’t play Beadling GA because the GA kicked in after she graduated. Coffields age group might have been USYS too. But Randy could identify local talent regardless of the league. Mertz was not GA at Century, which is why she went to Dayton.

I assume Hotspurs is still USYS.

You can go D1 from USYS? I know in boys you cant.

You can go D1 from USYS? I know in boys you cant.
Sure. Why not? 6 years ago it was the only route for local girls players. And the riverhounds played in an even lower league within (US CLub Soccer). I think they played an NPL schedule or something. The problem was that it was tougher for local players to truly get scouted playing in those leagues.

The problem with a player from Hot Spurs is the same. Getting scouted is tough because the big D1 school’s prioritize scouting the big events that Spurs probably isn’t attending. But if they have good players, the Pitt, Duquesne and Robert Morris coaches can drive up the road and check them out. And if they like what they see, they might offer a spot or maybe even some money if they are a hidden gem.

When my niece played for Beadling in USYS almost every player on her team went to a D1 school. I think one or two went to D2 schools, all the rest went to D1s.
Same with my daughters Beadling team. 15 went D1, 2 went D2, and 1 went to D3 CMU by choice. Smart girl. Lol.

But the point is, all of those girls, your nieces team included, were behind the 8 ball with their national recruitment because of the league they played in. Yes Silbur went to Illinois, but of the 36 girls or so on your nieces team or my kids team, plenty more were P5 level but settled for mid majors because they were undervalued and underrecruited playing in USYS. Now that the GA is around, plenty of Beadling girls are going to P5 schools.

But here’s the kicker, there hasn’t been a Beadling team as good as your nieces or my daughters team since those kids all graduated.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Same with my daughters Beadling team. 15 went D1, 2 went D2, and 1 went to D3 CMU by choice. Smart girl. Lol.

But the point is, all of those girls, your nieces team included, were behind the 8 ball with their national recruitment because of the league they played in. Yes Silbur went to Illinois, but of the 36 girls or so on your nieces team or my kids team, plenty more were P5 level but settled for mid majors because they were undervalued and underrecruited playing in USYS. Now that the GA is around, plenty of Beadling girls are going to P5 schools.

But here’s the kicker, there hasn’t been a Beadling team as good as your nieces or my daughters team since those kids all graduated.
Is that because there are so many clubs and cup teams now? It seems like everyone that I talk to has a kid at a different club some of which I have never heard of. I feel like it's really getting to be more of a money grab and your kid's development is a distant second.

Reactions: jctrack
Is that because there are so many clubs and cup teams now? It seems like everyone that I talk to has a kid at a different club some of which I have never heard of. I feel like it's really getting to be more of a money grab and your kid's development is a distant second.
You mean as far as my last statement?

I would say in a way yes. There have always been a lot of club teams…at least for the last 25 years. But of those clubs, Beadling was the only main destination club for the most elite players in the area. Then Riverhounds got into the business, and Century became a real player…and you now have those three clubs splitting up the best players in each age group. So you have one ECNL team and 2 GA teams splitting up the talent three ways. The 96/97 and 97/98 were the last of the dominant Beadling teams i think. We are 7 years beyond that. Actually I take that back, Coffields 2002 Beadling team was really really good too. But that was an incredible strong birth year in western Pa, and Hounds, Century, and Steel also had very good teams. If all the girls from all those clubs all played for Beadling like they would have 6-10 years earlier…holy cow that would have been a super team.

You mean as far as my last statement?

I would say in a way yes. There have always been a lot of club teams…at least for the last 25 years. But of those clubs, Beadling was the only main destination club for the most elite players in the area. Then Riverhounds got into the business, and Century became a real player…and you now have those three clubs splitting up the best players in each age group. So you have one ECNL team and 2 GA teams splitting up the talent three ways. The 96/97 and 97/98 were the last of the dominant Beadling teams i think. We are 7 years beyond that. Actually I take that back, Coffields 2002 Beadling team was really really good too. But that was an incredible strong birth year in western Pa, and Hounds, Century, and Steel also had very good teams. If all the girls from all those clubs all played for Beadling like they would have 6-10 years earlier…holy cow that would have been a super team.

Boys soccer is different. Beadling is the only MLS Next club in Western PA but you still have players opting to play for other clubs in lower leagues. In theory, Beadling should have a WPA all-star team but they have a hard time getting the North Hills kids to drive down 79 and even lose a few to Century, whose boys dont play in good leagues.

Boys soccer is different. Beadling is the only MLS Next club in Western PA but you still have players opting to play for other clubs in lower leagues. In theory, Beadling should have a WPA all-star team but they have a hard time getting the North Hills kids to drive down 79 and even lose a few to Century, whose boys dont play in good leagues.
Boys have always been different. Geographic clubs had a tendency to keep some kids. The USYS state cup is what the local kids all played for because there was no ECNL, GA, MLSNext, etc. in girls Beadling would almost sweep the stat cup in every age group from U12-U19. On the boys side, Beadling would only win a couple, maybe 3, and Arsenal would win a couple and other clubs would get one here and there.

Thanks for the replies. What the is the purpose of all of these other clubs then if not a money grab?

Thanks for the replies. What the is the purpose of all of these other clubs then if not a money grab?
It’s a money grab but my experience has been most of that is at the younger ages. If your kid isn’t playing ECNL or GA by sophomore year they most likely Aren’t D1. As a result, those kids who still want something other than HS soccer play a more local travel schedule. Even with that there are still Avenues to be seen in lower flights at tourneys like Bethesda, Jeff cup, and PDA showcase for example. Now that the women’s program has established themselves I’d expect your average HS recruiting class to be heavy ECNL with a sprinkling of GA and international.

Reactions: jctrack
I was flipping between the volleyball and the Clemson vs FSU soccer match.

Good soccer match. FSU forwards have so much pace and we couldn’t deal with it. I trust that our prep additions will be able to, if not then help via the portal. Things won’t get easier next year that’s for sure with Stanford coming in. And by the way the NCAA final is Stanford vs FSU.

Side note: what a crowd down at Cary last night. The college cup usually draws nice crowds, but last nights game was busting at the seams. Seating capacity at WakeMed Park is 10K and there were fans standing around the field so I’m guessing 11-12K. It reminded me of the multiple trips to the college cup with our various club teams through the years because we were down playing at CASL or National League the same weekend. And seeing Pitt play there was never ever something that was a possibility. Didn’t even enter the mind. Hard to believe they were one win away this year, and maybe contenders for years to come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT