ADVERTISEMENT

Won't be long until the Pantherlair fish fry recommendations!

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
The last two times my visit to Etown in Etna and their fish sandwich wasn't quite what it used to be.

1. Big Jim's.
2. Eat n Park is surprisingly good.
3. In Vegas, California Fish Grill. Just had one tonight.

IMO, The best fish sandwiches are found in neighborhood bars. And Seneca loves his fish sandwiches. Will do some churches during lent but plan to go to Emil's lounge this Friday based on a recommendation. Looking forward to it.

IMO, The best fish sandwiches are found in neighborhood bars. And Seneca loves his fish sandwiches. Will do some churches during lent but plan to go to Emil's lounge this Friday based on a recommendation. Looking forward to it.
Emil’s is good, from my experience.

Fried cod on a cold bun tastes the same at one church as it does another. Never understood people recommending one over the other. Go to the closest one, it tastes no better or worse than the one across town.

Fried cod on a cold bun tastes the same at one church as it does another. Never understood people recommending one over the other. Go to the closest one, it tastes no better or worse than the one across town.
But it has to be fried right....ie crispy, not limp and greasy. The key to anyplace......is fish fried to order. Not bulk frying and sitting there awaiting orders.

The difference between neighborhood bars and churches/organizations is the sides. Most bars have fries as a side or chips if you will. But those others might have pierogis, haluski, mac and cheese, etc...

I’d normally agree but I was at a bar in Ohio (north of Youngstown but that’s all I recall as far as the place) where they would put cayenne in the beer batter (you could also opt for not having it that way, as I recall), then served on a grilled roll with slaw and banana peppers. Still one of the fav sandwiches, fish or otherwise that I’ve had. Had to suffer with Cleveland games on the TVs though.

I’d normally agree but I was at a bar in Ohio (north of Youngstown but that’s all I recall as far as the place) where they would put cayenne in the beer batter (you could also opt for not having it that way, as I recall), then served on a grilled roll with slaw and banana peppers. Still one of the fav sandwiches, fish or otherwise that I’ve had. Had to suffer with Cleveland games on the TVs though.
yeah but that's a bar. i consider lenten fish fry's the friday fish specials at the catholic churches as a " fish fry."

if we are talking about fish sandwiches then that's a different story. BTW, that sandwich you described sounds great.. i always either do slaw and american or american and grilled onions. the banana peppers sound like a new "go to."

Living in SoCal I have found the fish taco and grilled fish taco much more appetizing than the fish sammich. There’s a great Mexican place in Carslad called Migel’s. It has awesome grilled swordfish tacos. Another great place is in Ocean Beach not far from Sea World. It’s called South Beach Bar & Grille. Great fish tacos. It’s right next to the pier. I recommend going there during the day. Night brings out a lot more tweekers!

Reactions: Dan1911
Living in SoCal I have found the fish taco and grilled fish taco much more appetizing than the fish sammich. There’s a great Mexican place in Carslad called Migel’s. It has awesome grilled swordfish tacos. Another great place is in Ocean Beach not far from Sea World. It’s called South Beach Bar & Grille. Great fish tacos. It’s right next to the pier. I recommend going there during the day. Night brings out a lot more tweekers!
for whatever reason, you need to live near a beach to get a good fish taco. any fish taco around here is either chunks of deep fried fish with heavy cole slaw. cant understand why you just cant get a good fish taco around here. it's like Crab cakes. for some reason you have to actually be in maryland to get a crab cake with actual crab in it..

this couldn't be more wrong. A bad bun can totally ruin it. Poor sides, like soggy or frozen fries, boxed mac & cheese can also adversely impact it. A simple dinner but many ways it could go wrong.

But to me, the bun is the key

this couldn't be more wrong. A bad bun can totally ruin it. Poor sides, like soggy or frozen fries, boxed mac & cheese can also adversely impact it. A simple dinner but many ways it could go wrong.

But to me, the bun is the key
my point is all these fish fry's are the same and they are all on a cold bun. im talking about the lenten fish frys, not a fish sandwich from a restaurant or bar. yes, i agree, a warm or toasted bun is the way to go..

I don’t know if they still do it, but St Benedict in Peter’s had damn good fish and pitchers of beer.
Several years ago I used to get St Benedict fish sandwich and chips during Lent when I visited my parents and brother’s family. I haven’t been there for a fish sammich in at least 10-12 years.

Let me ask you. Are all you bastards living in the South Hills?

Correct GIF - Correct GIFs

Personally, I have never lived in the South Hills. Only my parents (both deceased) moved there after I moved to Delaware and my older brother has lived south of Pittsburgh for 30+ years

If all you’re looking for is a great fish sandwich, it’s tough to beat the Muse Italian Club - whether it’s Lent or not.

The good thing about it is that it’s never a surprise how good it is: it’s consistently the same good product.

No thank God. Moved to Robinson twp. three months ago and loving it.

Crafton here. The perfect spot IMO (much like Robison). Easy access west, south, north via 79, and downtown. Not always easy getting east but I’ve learned to live without going east.

Had one from North Park Lounge this week and it is pretty good. A huge piece of fish (breaded, not beer batter which I prefer, but still very good) and very good hand cut fries. Demerit for only having a hamburger bun rather than a long roll, but still a thumbs up here.

Absolutely!! Same with fried chicken. I had a fried chicken sandwich at Appalachian Brewery (Harrisburg area) a couple of weeks ago. It was soggy and greasy. Worst fried ___ sandwich I’ve had in a long time.

I know it is a ubiquitous chain but it is tough to beat Chik Fil A on the chicken sandwiches. Everything is hand-breaded there.

Reactions: PITTfanSD
for whatever reason, you need to live near a beach to get a good fish taco. any fish taco around here is either chunks of deep fried fish with heavy cole slaw. cant understand why you just cant get a good fish taco around here. it's like Crab cakes. for some reason you have to actually be in maryland to get a crab cake with actual crab in it..
Monterrey Bay and Off the Hook have excellent crab cakes locally. Best crab cakes I've eaten though were in MD.... I have "nice dreams" about the crab cakes at Boatyard B&G in Annapolis!

I haven’t had good crab cakes since living in Delaware. Well, my wife doesn’t like seafood so maybe that’s why haha.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT