ADVERTISEMENT

Would this be enough to save (preserve) the ACC?

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
1) Extend invites to Arizona State, California, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Stanford, Washington, and West Virginia.
2) With enough votes in place, vote out Boston College and Wake Forest to maximize revenue payout per conference member.
3) Put a quote on the open market for a conference television/streaming deal that includes Notre Dame as a full-time member. Hopefully the number would be big enough to entice them to join.

The result would be a 20-school conference that includes the following:
- Arizona State, California, Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, NC State, Notre Dame, OK State, Oregon, Pitt, Stanford, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Washington, and West Virginia

I would’ve thought I sounded crazy before yesterday, but I don’t know what is or isn’t crazy now.

There is one monster out there left in the waters. That’s it. ND is likely going to be the next to jump into B1G. Wayyyy too much money for B1G and ND for it not to happen.

The time is now for ND to act. The B1G is going to make more $ than the SEC and the SEC is still going to dominate on the field.

I like the idea of adding teams but the ACC is in no position to kick any teams out!

Also WV brings nothing to the table so adding 6 and no subtractions would make 20 ........ assuming ND stays independent or goes to the big 10.

I like the idea of adding teams but the ACC is in no position to kick any teams out!

Also WV brings nothing to the table so adding 6 and no subtractions would make 20 ........ assuming ND stays independent or goes to the big 10.
How about simply adding Arizona State, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington? If that’s enough to get Notre Dame to join full-time, the conference would look like this:

East Division: Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech

North Division: Boston College, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse

South Division: Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, Wake Forest

West Division: Arizona State, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, Washington

ASU, Arizona, Utah and Colorado are talking to the Big XII. They aren’t really an option for the ACC at this point.

Washington and Oregon are waiting on Notre Dame and the B1G.

Stanford, Cal, WSU and OSUw are in limbo.

ASU, Arizona, Utah and Colorado are talking to the Big XII. They aren’t really an option for the ACC at this point.

Washington and Oregon are waiting on Notre Dame and the B1G.

Stanford, Cal, WSU and OSUw are in limbo.
At the moment, the ACC could take whomever they would want from the Big 12, including anyone that would join the Big 12 from the PAC 12.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
At the moment, the ACC could take whomever they would want from the Big 12, including anyone that would join the Big 12 from the PAC 12.
The ACC's huge problem though is it has forever been stuck in a bad TV deal while the Pac 12 and Big 12 can go to market now. I read an article today saying the Pac 12 will look to add ACC or Pac 12 schools. Now it wasn't very specific and basically said they'd consider everything but it speaks to what I was saying a few days ago when I said the Pac 12 and ACC should merge and then kick out OSU and WSU and rename it the American Coastal Conference, ACC.

The ACC is not adding teams west of the Mississippi. What’s left from the purge will be the eventual merge of the the PAC & B12. Eventually some ACC schools will be in play. There could also be some shuffling in between the Big 2 conferences. Maybe Nebraska heads to SEC. After the latest moves, anything is on the table. The SEC could take most of the ACC and now own the whole eastern seaboard. Those TVs mean lots of money. The NE will be in play. You can’t leave out the Virginia, Pittsburgh and Boston markets. PSU already gives the B10 in roads in Pgh market. It would be a new lucrative market for the SEC. The B10 might also have to play defense and take some NE teams to keep the SEC out of this market. It appears that both the B10 and SEC will get to 24 teams. That us 16 more teams to add to there conferences. Media Markets matters!!!!

In a perfect world, the ACC adds PSU, ND and brings Maryland back to the fold. This causes the TV contract to be renegotiated

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The SEC could take most of the ACC and now own the whole eastern seaboard. Those TVs mean lots of money. The NE will be in play. You can’t leave out the Virginia, Pittsburgh and Boston markets. PSU already gives the B10 in roads in Pgh market. It would be a new lucrative market for the SEC. The B10 might also have to play defense and take some NE teams to keep the SEC out of this market. It appears that both the B10 and SEC will get to 24 teams. That us 16 more teams to add to there conferences. Media Markets matters!!!!

If you had posted this ten years ago your declaration that "Media Markets matters!!!!", complete with the four exclamation points, would have been spot on. Unfortunately, it's 2022, not 2012. And all the people giving out the money know that markets mean less and less every day, and that what really matters is the people who actually watch the games, not the people who don't.

How about simply adding Arizona State, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington? If that’s enough to get Notre Dame to join full-time, the conference would look like this:

East Division: Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech

North Division: Boston College, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse

South Division: Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, Wake Forest

West Division: Arizona State, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, Washington
This isn’t as odd as might appear.
Why?
Because you can fill programming noon eastern to 2 am the next day.
Give the western schools the 7 and 11 games each week.
For example.
Duke UVA noon
Clemson FSU 3:30
ND Stanford 7
Pitt at Cal 11
Face facts. The hidden gem of the SC/UCLA move is TV for 14 straight hours.

Why?
For example.
Duke UVA noon
ND Stanford 7
Pitt at Cal 11
That’s a great point. Having the ability to cover all 3 time zones with good sports programming is important. I know football is driving the bus, but basketball is somewhat important as well come winter time.

If you had posted this ten years ago your declaration that "Media Markets matters!!!!", complete with the four exclamation points, would have been spot on. Unfortunately, it's 2022, not 2012. And all the people giving out the money know that markets mean less and less every day, and that what really matters is the people who actually watch the games, not the people who don't.

This is exactly right.

it is why places like BC, Cuse and Pitt are F$%ked on a stick. And as Joe points out....the people in the NE watching the game are likely watching Notre Dame as well as the other big boys.

We are going to see some P5 schools simply throw in the towel, rather than compete with these conference behemoths / NIL competition

and who can blame them?

No....the ACC, and by extension Pitt, are in the jackpot and there does not appear to be any resolution for Pitt other than to get a seat at the kids table.

Nothing says realignment like a team traveling miles upon miles upon miles to play a team they’ve never played against and have no connection to ever. Oh wait, that’s a WVU schedule. Reality is these realignments are dumb as shit.
This isn’t anything new. Major conference changes have been happening for the last 25+ years and will continue to happen.

In a perfect world, the ACC adds PSU, ND and brings Maryland back to the fold. This causes the TV contract to be renegotiated
Did you actually type that crap in your last two posts with a straight face? Nebraska maybe leaves for the SEC? Or PSU and some others leave the Big 10 as well? Do you not understand how much money they would be leaving behind even with a renegotiated ACC contract? And how do you know it causes that contract to be renegotiated?
Plus, there isn't enough marquee schools out there for those two conferences to add eight more schools each for a total of 16. They would have to bring in, or increase, what those schools are making now and I and a lot others don't see that at all.

1) Extend invites to Arizona State, California, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Stanford, Washington, and West Virginia.
2) With enough votes in place, vote out Boston College and Wake Forest to maximize revenue payout per conference member.
3) Put a quote on the open market for a conference television/streaming deal that includes Notre Dame as a full-time member. Hopefully the number would be big enough to entice them to join.

The result would be a 20-school conference that includes the following:
- Arizona State, California, Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, NC State, Notre Dame, OK State, Oregon, Pitt, Stanford, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Washington, and West Virginia

I would’ve thought I sounded crazy before yesterday, but I don’t know what is or isn’t crazy now.
Of that list of schools, only one is in the top 10 all-time in wins which pales I'm comparison to:

The BIG has Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State and now USC.
The SEC has Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma and Tennessee.

Of that list of schools, only one is in the top 10 all-time in wins which pales I'm comparison to:

The BIG has Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State and now USC.
The SEC has Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma and Tennessee.
The Big 10 and SEC will be ahead, but you have to set up the 3rd best conference that is clearly ahead of the others.

Reactions: singregardless
Why?
For example.
Duke UVA noon
ND Stanford 7
Pitt at Cal 11
SMFN will have games on at

2:15
5:30
8:45
midnight (9PM Pacific)

The ACC has to find a way to have their contract renegotiated. People feel there is a way lawyers can get teams out of the grant of rights. Why can’t lawyers figure out a way to renegotiate their deal. We don’t have to match the other conferences. We just have to get close.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
The ACC has to find a way to have their contract renegotiated. People feel there is a way lawyers can get teams out of the grant of rights. Why can’t lawyers figure out a way to renegotiate their deal. We don’t have to match the other conferences. We just have to get close.

If the contract being renegotiated means the current GOR dissolves (& inevitably losing members now instead of 2036), do you still push it?

If the contract being renegotiated means the current GOR dissolves (& inevitably losing members now instead of 2036), do you still push it?
Great question. Do you go GOR or bust and fight to the end or go big and try to bring in ND and others with renegotiated contract. Don’t underestimate the cost of moving whole athletic departments around the country. Those non revenue sports can get expensive. It will only be time when each of these large cities will want to tax these players NIL just like how pro players get taxed in each city.

Reactions: singregardless
Great question. Do you go GOR or bust and fight to the end or go big and try to bring in ND and others with renegotiated contract. Don’t underestimate the cost of moving whole athletic departments around the country. Those non revenue sports can get expensive. It will only be time when each of these large cities will want to tax these players NIL just like how pro players get taxed in each city.

I’d go big, fully acknowledging the conference as-is will likely get siphoned off at some point.

The value of an Oregon in 2024 is better than having nothing & merging with Oregon State & Washington State in 2037, if the two major “Power” conferences of 20 teams each scenario comes to pass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT