ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. Lyke fired as ad

Yeah, on the surface her job performance from some random guy on the internet (me) looks great, especially in Olympic sports, and basketball, plus it seemed like she had a good relationship with Capel and Narduzzi. Likely something here we'll never know.

This is out of the blu
Yeah, on the surface her job performance from some random guy on the internet (me) looks great, especially in Olympic sports, and basketball, plus it seemed like she had a good relationship with Capel and Narduzzi. Likely something here we'll never know.
This clearly isn't a performance based decision.

Neither side seems to be happy. Best to part ways...The next AD hire will determine how much the new chancellor cares about athletics.
Rumor mill word is couldn't come to an agreement on contract length. All speculative. Take it with a grain of salt.

If this is based on local recruiting I think I’ll just throw up now…

Talk about short sighted holy Christ

I wonder if the ADM wasn't happy with her continuing to seek other jobs. Maybe the ADM thought was either make a firm commitment at Pitt or hit the road. Guess they thought to tell her to hit the road.

Something doesn't seem right. Her performance with Pitt warrants an extension and praise for her successes here. I hope this isn't about some Boss Lady not liking another female in power and wanting to make her go away. I've seen strange female power plays in the office. I know this sounds a little chauvinistic.

I wonder if the ADM wasn't happy with her continuing to seek other jobs. Maybe the ADM thought was either make a firm commitment at Pitt or hit the road. Guess they thought to tell her to hit the road.
This is how I feel.
It's tough when an employee is continuously looking to move on. Everyone should look to be happy in life and if that leads you to a different employer/job I'm fine with that, but an employer can't sit idly by and wait for the shoe to drop. Felt she did some very nice work for Pitt but not committed to the university, it was only her job so to speak. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you evaluate her based on:

70% football
29% men's basketball
1% Olympics

Would you say she has been a success?

Is she even a success if you assign equal weight to all three? Peak has ran down her coaching hire hit %, and it isn't good.

But yeah - you shouldn't assign equal weight to all three, and football is in an awful spot.

This is how I feel.
It's tough when an employee is continuously looking to move on. Everyone should look to be happy in life and if that leads you to a different employer/job I'm fine with that, but an employer can't sit idly by and wait for the shoe to drop. Felt she did some very nice work for Pitt but not committed to the university, it was only her job so to speak. Maybe I'm wrong.
playing devil's advocate here. she probably wouldnt be looking / interviewing if her contract wasnt up in a few months and they extended her..

Is she even a success if you assign equal weight to all three? Peak has ran down her coaching hire hit %, and it isn't good.

But yeah - you shouldn't assign equal weight to all three, and football is in an awful spot.
how is pitt football in an awful spot?

the program pretty much spends more than about 90% of the conference. We have one of the highest paid HCs in the conference. last 10 years, we have won the conference and played in another championship. we have a very good conference record under Narduzzi..

again, why is football in an awful spot? Because some anonymous posters on here said we need higher NIL money? Pitt has always sucked at donations, dating back to the late 80's and only reason we were good back then was the golden panthers funnelled money to the athletes which was against the ncaa rules and should have gotten us put on probation..

the program pretty much spends more than about 90% of the conference. We have one of the highest paid HCs in the conference. last 10 years, we have won the conference and played in another championship. we have a very good conference record under Narduzzi..

again, why is football in an awful spot? Because some anonymous posters on here said we need higher NIL money? Pitt has always sucked at donations, dating back to the late 80's and only reason we were good back then was the golden panthers funnelled money to the athletes which was against the ncaa rules and should have gotten us put on probation..

NIL wasn't a prominent thing until like 2021, and the numbers didn't become really silly until 2022. Take into consideration the fact that recruits typically don't contribute for at least a year or two (or three), and I think it's safe to say that 2023 and 2024 are a lot better of a barometer in measuring our success than the totality of our conference record under Narduzzi.

Speaking of Narduzzi, you're saying that paying him big money through 2030 is a good thing? That contract is a freaking albatross. We'd be better off with a healthy NIL program and a coach making half of what he makes.

Again, the last ten years means nothing. The landscape changed within the last three years. I know we're all giddy because we beat Bishop Sycamore and the Bad News Bearcats. Let's reassess at the end of the season.

Reactions: PittStorm13
NIL wasn't a prominent thing until like 2021, and the numbers didn't become really silly until 2022. Take into consideration the fact that recruits typically don't contribute for at least a year or two (or three), and I think it's safe to say that 2023 and 2024 are a lot better of a barometer in measuring our success than the totality of our conference record under Narduzzi.

Speaking of Narduzzi, you're saying that paying him big money through 2030 is a good thing? That contract is a freaking albatross. We'd be better off with a healthy NIL program and a coach making half of what he makes.
yeah, lets go cheap on the HC hire. that will turn it around..

Reactions: NCPitt and latz66

Pitt has the lowest talent-level since Majors 2. For 3 quarters, we looked like a JV team against Cincinnati and unfortunately, I have a feeling that comeback was more luck than us walking them down.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
National and outside media are scratching their heads over this. Think it’s a horrible move for Pitt. Feel it’s same as with wanny, Dixon, etc, you have something good, but want better even if the likely hood of getting something better is slim and the chances of getting something worse is pretty high.

National and outside media are scratching their heads over this. Think it’s a horrible move for Pitt. Feel it’s same as with wanny, Dixon, etc, you have something good, but want better even if the likely hood of getting something better is slim and the chances of getting something worse is pretty high.

That's because national media know little to nothing about any team not in the Big 10 or SEC. Mandel from the Athletic gave zero mentions to the Pitt comeback against Cinci, even though it was two P4's playing an OOC game

This seems to be the skinny from Joan Gabel’s perspective. No inside info :

*The Athletics department is in the red. Spending on projects like Victory Heights has gone way over budget.

*Once NIL was introduced, non-revenue projects like Victory Heights should have been put on hold.

*Most projects were already deeply committed financially and difficult to stop completely.

*To compound matters, Heather dragged her feet on NIL. Being that football & basketball drives the gravy train, this should have been top priority. In Gabel’s eyes this was not happening with the focus it deserved. Gabel was not convinced this would change.

*Heather has been linked to many jobs, also complicating the situation. Gabel questions her loyalty and commitment.

*Heather wants a multi-year contract. Gabel balks and wants to give her a shorter contract extension.

*Northwestern job opens up and Heather is a finalist. Heather doesn’t get the job.

*Contract negotiations continue between Heather and Gabel. Gabel is not willing to go more than a year or two.

*Gabel fires Heather

I don't care what people may say about Heather. She did a great job and is well liked by the alumni and her peers outside the university. She instilled, pride and vision to the department.

NIL was a game changer. It changed everything. The vision needed to change with it. The reaction to the change is probably what got Heather the axe.

I don't care what people may say about Heather. She did a great job and is well liked by the alumni and her peers outside the university. She instilled, pride and vision to the department.

NIL was a game changer. It changed everything. The vision needed to change with it. The reaction to the change is probably what got Heather the axe.

Similar to Dixon, this is not a mutually exclusive thing. They both did great things at the university and will be ranked amongst the best at their respective positions. But for various reasons, both reached their expiration dates here, and the constant flirting with other jobs didn't help either of their cases. Time for both sides to move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT