ADVERTISEMENT

WTF Kaezon Pugh ???

88Pitt88

Freshman
Feb 12, 2016
Linebackers and defensive ends seem exceptionally weak on this team. Our local 4star from the Quips comes in and disappears. What the hell is going on? I don't know what the hell it is with this program, but we seem to get our share of 4 star players who don't pan out. He is still young, but, we are so bad at backer and D-end that is justs feels impossible that he can't break the 2-deep somewhere. Next week you will see our defense look clueless. I didn't think we could get worse as a defense, from last year to this year, but I think I could be wrong. Our outside backers and safety play is so far below the line, that we will not be competitive the next two weeks. We have way to many MAC level guys and you saw what the pedophiles did to akron today.

I was surprised he wasn't on the 2 deep. I thought he'd be a difference maker for us.

E Price took several years to get going. Just too early to really know what these dl can do.

They decided to change his position, a position he's never play before. This year is pretty much washed out. I wonder what Pugh himself thinks of the position change. Also, him and Raines are tight.

Pugh had a good offer sheet, but he was a composite 247 3-star player. Almost by definition you can't expect a 3-star player to be ready to play very well too early in his career, plus the position change is also an issue. He needs time.

Reactions: H2P-2007
Pugh ranks up highly among disappointments. Pine is next. I'm not saying they should be legends out of the gate but should definitely have been able to displace some of what we have starting. Because of their dubious "competition" at those positions it is natural to think its something beyond merely needing time to be seasoned. Something appears seriously bereft if these guys can't even sniff the two deep of this depth chart.

Which then leads to inevitable pondering. Is it woeful position coaching, stubborn head coach (good soldiers in practice triumph over guys who appear to slack on practice regardless of ability) or the players simply weren't all or even any of that? Mostly the latter, alas. But not always, as we've seen.

I guess this is one thing truly all programs have, guys the fans were excited to see but never make it... it's just much more painful when ours dont pan out.

Reactions: ebonylover40
Have to be patient with some of these guys. While the observation is often made that 2-3 star guys are "coached up" and turn into good players, it's also true that these guys don't emerge until their 3rd year in any program. They don't get "coached up" overnight.

It's worth remembering the old adage, that 5-star guys are ready to contribute in their first year, 4-star guys are ready to truly contribute in their second year, and the others need at least until their 3rd. For the most part, that is.

The Boise States etc that are really good teams usually are loaded with 4th and 5th year players.

I am very surprised he is not on the field in some capacity. At the very least Special Teams. A move to FB might be a good idea. He was a good RB in HS, and is currently 245.

E Price took several years to get going. Just too early to really know what these dl can do.

Get post... Plus when your 6' 1 going up against guys with long arms and experience they can make you look bad in a hurry... Pugh will be a good contributor here at PITT...

A little research shows two players, one ranked according to this site as a 4 star and the other ranked a three star player. Each kid is now a redshirt freshman, each kid enrolled at roughly 205-210 pounds. Each kid had a similar offersheet as the other. The lower rated kid is Khaleke Hudson, and he is starting for Michigan as a hybrid linebacker-safety type. The higher rated kid, is ofcourse, Kaezon Pugh. He is buried on our depth chart, and likely undergoing a position change. I guess we are just happy to win a few recruiting battles, even if they are hometown boys. We need these kids to play asap. Our coaches seem to turn these kids into projects, while other teams get a kid, insert them where they fit best, and roll with them.

I liked our 2016 class quite a bit and I do realize that Narduzzi and staff were way behind the eight ball when they took over. That said, we shouldn't have to wait for 2019 and 2020 when these kids will be redshirt juniors to see them play. The fact is, those playing in front of these kids are not nearly talented enough. I know that ultimately the goal of our program is to have enough depth, that these kids don't have to play until their junior year. We are just to far away from that goal right now, and this season is likely going to bust any momentum the program had moving forward.

Have to be patient with some of these guys. While the observation is often made that 2-3 star guys are "coached up" and turn into good players, it's also true that these guys don't emerge until their 3rd year in any program. They don't get "coached up" overnight.

It's worth remembering the old adage, that 5-star guys are ready to contribute in their first year, 4-star guys are ready to truly contribute in their second year, and the others need at least until their 3rd. For the most part, that is.

The Boise States etc that are really good teams usually are loaded with 4th and 5th year players.
Speaking for myself, I'm not at all disappointed that Pugh isn't in the 2 deep as a RS freshman. I'm disappointed that he was moved to DE, because I thought he looked like a damned good prospect as a LB. Finally a guy with the right measurables and athleticism to be a difference maker at LB. We don't see what the coaches see or know what they know from working with these guys every day in practice, so I always give them deference on these kinds of moves-I'm just disappointed that Pugh apparently isn't the answer for us at LB.

Last edited:
Speaking for myself, I'm not at all disappointed that Pugh isn't in the 2 deep as a RS freshman. I'm disappointed that everyone was moved to DE, because I thought he looked like a damned good prospect as a LB. Finally a guy with the right measurables and athleticism to be a difference maker at LB. We don't see what the coaches see or know what they know from working with these guys every day in practice, so I always give them deference on these kinds of moves-I'm just disappointed that Pugh apparently isn't the answer for us at LB.
My reaction is /was yours precisely.

Speaking for myself, I'm not at all disappointed that Pugh isn't in the 2 deep as a RS freshman. I'm disappointed that everyone was moved to DE, because I thought he looked like a damned good prospect as a LB. Finally a guy with the right measurables and athleticism to be a difference maker at LB. We don't see what the coaches see or know what they know from working with these guys every day in practice, so I always give them deference on these kinds of moves-I'm just disappointed that Pugh apparently isn't the answer for us at LB.
Obviously there's no choice but to defer, but when the defense is so bad in week one (and that first half was nothing impressive...YSU squandered many big play ops) ... and many of the players are the same as last year when the defense was one of the WORST ... and guys we're speaking of here were some of our (few) highly anticipated new guys ... it's going to open up questions from the paying customers. Are ALL these guys truly busts? Is a 180 pound walkon and his dubious scholie teammate from a cakeeater high really the best option above guys with a great pedigree? Especially when you see said cakeeaters regularly stink? Especially knowing our history with lousy position coaches?

These guys make the big bucks (well, in context to Wal-Mart workers anyway ... dunno about fancy-pants Target with their clean stores, tranny bathrooms and such), so they gotta be thick enough to deal with such scrutiny

Pugh ranks up highly among disappointments. Pine is next. I'm not saying they should be legends out of the gate but should definitely have been able to displace some of what we have starting. Because of their dubious "competition" at those positions it is natural to think its something beyond merely needing time to be seasoned. Something appears seriously bereft if these guys can't even sniff the two deep of this depth chart.

Which then leads to inevitable pondering. Is it woeful position coaching, stubborn head coach (good soldiers in practice triumph over guys who appear to slack on practice regardless of ability) or the players simply weren't all or even any of that? Mostly the latter, alas. But not always, as we've seen.

I guess this is one thing truly all programs have, guys the fans were excited to see but never make it... it's just much more painful when ours dont pan out.
OMG. Some of you guys are really obtuse. Calling redshirt freshmen washouts. Get a freaking grip on reality.

I agree, wbr. These guys are week 2 into their RS Freshmen seasons. It's s little early to be calling them disappointments.

When was Pugh ever a LB in HS? Every game I ever saw him play he was a 9Tech.

You can't teach instincts. He's at his best position. Some questioned his motor in HS.
6'1 DEs with no motors sit the bench even behind average talent in front of them.

Maybe he can be the next Price. He does fit the Price mold with his quickness and strength for his size. At this point I just want to see him given a chance on game day to show what he can do. It's not like others ahead of him impressed in the fist game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT