ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Johnson Transferring

XJ is the classic pitt paradox. He isn't good for the team, but the team is unquestionably worse without him. A classic pitt paradox.
Definitely... in the short term at least. I think giving Femi the experience in a season that’s lost anyways could prove beneficial though. Next year’s team might be better with Femi. It might not be, but I like what I’ve seen from him as a freshman. Gotta work on those free throws though.

Definitely... in the short term at least. I think giving Femi the experience in a season that’s lost anyways could prove beneficial though. Next year’s team might be better with Femi. It might not be, but I like what I’ve seen from him as a freshman. Gotta work on those free throws though.
There is no chance next year’s team is better.

Reactions: levance2
This is good news, it was time to speed this up and move on. Capel betting that he can find a more coachable PG for next season, or X just got too triggered by the public shaming.

Reactions: TWPitt
There is no chance next year’s team is better.
We don’t even know who is on the team yet. If it’s only X that’s gone, I could definitely see Femi as a better fit for this group. That’s a big if though, but next year’s team is only worse if Champ actually leaves.... and possibly Toney transferring too.

We don’t even know who is on the team yet. If it’s only X that’s gone, I could definitely see Femi as a better fit for this group. That’s a big if though, but next year’s team is only worse if Champ actually leaves.... and possibly Toney transferring too.
Femi is considerably worse than XJ. XJ will have every school in America outside of Duke inquiring about him.

Reactions: Ski11585
Wrong about schools. Wrong about Femi being considerably worse than X.
I think he’s more right than wrong about the schools who will be interested. He’ll be a very strong candidate for *any* school without a solidified returning PG.

I do think Femi has the chance to be pretty good, though.

XJ is physically gifted, but he is going to need a coaching staff to break him down and then build him back up. A good cop/bad cop coaching situation where the good cop can mentor him and then anytime he reverts too his bad habits the HC lays into him. The question is whether or not XJ is willing to fully buy in.

I think XJ was a very talented player and took it upon himself to do to much. I think a big part of the problem is that he was playing on a team with a woefully incomplete roster. Give him a center like Kofi Cockburn and two guard like the mintz? kid at Kentucky and I think you see a more controlled player.

Capel is at fault regardless. He needs to bring in real talent here, and a complete roster. Much like Dixon at the end, he couldn't recruit a 5 or a 2. This team will not bounce back until we have a complete roster with some depth. I am tired of watching players play out of position because we can't recruit a complete roster. I don't know if there is a coach out there that can fix us.

We will miss XJ even tho he may have been uncoachable. However, before you consider him a failure, lets see how he does if he transfers to a good team. I think the staff failed him by not providing more talent in the form of a complete roster just as much as he failed the staff with his out of control play and temper.

It’s a completely different situation if X walks into a veteran, tourney bound team who already has leadership and a culture but just missing a PG. He’ll excel there.

The problem is, he came in and the whole program was put in the hands of him and Trey. And neither were poised/mentally ready or talented enough for that. It’s okay the first couple years but it created this monster where he felt it was HIS program and he could get away with anything.

Just needs a change of scenery and he’ll be fine. Competitive dude who always played hard. The losing probably wore on him too. He’ll be a good point guard who goes to the NCAAT next year IMO.

It’s a completely different situation if X walks into a veteran, tourney bound team who already has leadership and a culture but just missing a PG. He’ll excel there.

The problem is, he came in and the whole program was put in the hands of him and Trey. And neither were poised/mentally ready or talented enough for that. It’s okay the first couple years but it created this monster where he felt it was HIS program and he could get away with anything.

Just needs a change of scenery and he’ll be fine. Competitive dude who always played hard. The losing probably wore on him too. He’ll be a good point guard who goes to the NCAAT next year IMO.
If Stallings would’ve landed an XJ to got with that core his first year, they probably go to the NCAA tournament.

so x will land at unlv or something and tear up the mwc all while slinging 3's from his hip

Kentucky has already asked about him. There isn’t one thing Femi does better than Johnson. He’s 20. He’s not gonna be better than him.

Keep telling yourselves Johnson, McGowens, whoever else are the
Could you give us the rest of your psychological exam of his personality, Dr. Lector?
Ready for it, ready for it....... uncoachable. I know, I know I might lose my credentials for this one but I'm gonna die on this hill I don't care.

I’m not denying X will have a list of schools to choose from, however if I’m a head coach and this player and his former coach decided it was best for him to abruptly leave in the middle of the season to transfer, that’s a red flag to me. Some are willing to take that risk.
I’m assuming assuming that very few of us honestly know what actually transpires during practice and games.

I’m not denying X will have a list of schools to choose from, however if I’m a head coach and this player and his former coach decided it was best for him to abruptly leave in the middle of the season to transfer, that’s a red flag to me. Some are willing to take that risk.
I’m assuming assuming that very few of us honestly know what actually transpires during practice and games.
True, but with zero recruits and up to 6 scholarships to give, what type of players do you think we will be getting off the transfer wire? Choir boys?

True, but with zero recruits and up to 6 scholarships to give, what type of players do you think we will be getting off the transfer wire? Choir boys?

Of course not, but you have to somewhat think this directly speaks to X’s ability to be part of a team and be coachable. Nobody, and I mean nobody wants a cancer in the locker room.

It's a players' market. There's fewer good players than there are starting jobs for good players. I'm sure that some new coach will think cautiously about XJ leaving with 3 games left but I doubt it will be a deal breaker for two reasons: 1) XJ is mostly a pretty good player; and 2) this is a f***** up year that I think everyone is going to get a mulligan on.

Believe me, nobody is going to care that the dude quit on a bad team with 3 games left. Nobody. They're recruiting basketball players not members of the Professionalism Hall of Fame.

Reactions: TWPitt
Kentucky has already asked about him. There isn’t one thing Femi does better than Johnson. He’s 20. He’s not gonna be better than him.

Keep telling yourselves Johnson, McGowens, whoever else are the problems...
Who/what are the problems? All of the coaches? Some of the coaches? Thanks.

Sad, that this has to happen, but X with all his talent was really hurting the team‘s ability to compete. I hope for his sake he gets a chance to reach his full potential, but first he has to get out of his own way.

Keep telling yourselves Johnson, McGowens, whoever else are the problems...

Yeah not saying there isn't blame on both sides but McGowens is really tearing it up this year and looks different...LOL.

You're blaming Capel for McGowens not developing this year?
Holy cats people. He was here for 2 seasons and got no better. Let me guess, Champagnie’s and Toney’s development is because of Capel but XJ and Trey not developing is because they’re cancers. Lol

Holy cats people. He was here for 2 seasons and got no better. Let me guess, Champagnie’s and Toney’s development is because of Capel but XJ and Trey not developing is because they’re cancers. Lol
I didn't say Capel developed Champ and Toney, nor did I say X and Trey are cancers. It was pointed out that Trey hasn't developed at Nebraska this year, and your response was that he was a top 100 guy recruited by Capel who wasn't developed. So I am asking you, is his lack of development this year Capel's fault?

I didn't say Capel developed Champ and Toney, nor did I say X and Trey are cancers. It was pointed out that Trey hasn't developed at Nebraska this year, and your response was that he was a top 100 guy recruited by Capel who wasn't developed. So I am asking you, is his lack of development this year Capel's fault?
Why would anything he does after Pitt have anything to do with capel? You guys are grasping at silly straws. He’s the same player he is in HS because he wasn’t developed at Pitt.

Why would anything he does after Pitt have anything to do with capel? You guys are grasping at silly straws. He’s the same player he is in HS because he wasn’t developed at Pitt.
What?

You are saying that anything he does after Pitt doesn't have anything to do with Capel, then in the next sentence saying he's the same player as in HS because he wasn't developed at Pitt by Capel. So are you saying his lack of development at Nebraska this year Capel's fault or not?

I can buy the argument that Trey wasn't developed at Pitt but then how do you explain why has he gotten worse since changing programs? You need to be consistent.

Reactions: FireballZ
So he blindly dribbled into traffic with no pre conceived idea of what to do with the ball only to either throw up a brick or have it taken away?

Don't get me wrong.....X is lightning quick but his bb iq is not good!

Is it not also possible that he is the same player because that is his ceiling? No one knows what any player's potential is until he reaches it, and he may have already reached his.

I can buy the argument that Trey wasn't developed at Pitt but then how do you explain why has he gotten worse since changing programs? You need to be consistent.
I don’t root for Nebraska and couldn’t care less about Trey there. I’m being consistent. Probably the only person on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT