ADVERTISEMENT

XJ to indiana

I thought he was going to the NBA?

X is going to be the same player at IU that he was a Pitt. He'll have some good games but in the end his bad decisions and mistakes will not be worth it. Happy he is gone.
Yeah I don't see X starting there unless he checks his ego (and Dad's) at the door and operates like a true PG. IU isn't desperate enough to tolerate his antics like Pitt did because they've got a pretty talented collection of Guards and higher ranked players. I also don't see him playing off the ball because he just isn't a good enough shooter. Maybe he dials it down there and plays true team basketball but I've got 2x seasons worth of film that suggest otherwise. Either way good luck to the kid.

Reactions: DnTanna07
Three games in a row? That is some outlier.

”We are back” is seldom said after an “outlier”.
A few message board posters said we are back. Which is absolutely meaningless.

Just as many if not more were far more cautious.

There was the same type of stuff and NCAA talk the previous season after beating FSU early. Again by posters on this board.

As Ditka said you are what your record says you are. This team had a few talented pieces but nowhere near enough. And what talent there was there wasn’t enough consistent scoring.

A few message board posters said we are back. Which is absolutely meaningless.

Just as many if not more were far more cautious.

There was the same type of stuff and NCAA talk the previous season after beating FSU early. Again by posters on this board.

As Ditka said you are what your record says you are. This team had a few talented pieces but nowhere near enough. And what talent there was there wasn’t enough consistent scoring.
So little respect for DT?

So little respect for DT?
Hahahaha. You serious?

He’s a passionate fan and if I were to bet also a good guy. And I believe he’s knowledgeable and has some inside info. But because on guy on here claimed “we’re back” means just that? You gotta be pulling my leg. Except I know you aren’t. Holy hell. Hahahaha.

Reactions: Ski11585
Hahahaha. You serious?

He’s a passionate fan and if I were to bet also a good guy. And I believe he’s knowledgeable and has some inside info. But because on guy on here claimed “we’re back” means just that? You gotta be pulling my leg. Except I know you aren’t. Holy hell. Hahahaha.
You way too easily waved away the “We are back” sentiment felt and expressed during that time by our fan base.

it was “far” from a guy here and a guy there.

Try being honest.

People were not reacting to “YOUR” outlier.

If you were capable of beating the Cuse twice and Duke, you ”had* talent.
You clearly don’t watch much basketball because Pitt didn’t have “a lot” of talent in comparison to the rest of the Power 6 schools.

You clearly don’t watch much basketball because Pitt didn’t have “a lot” of talent in comparison to the rest of the Power 6 schools.
I am sorry. I think

AKC/Hugley
Toney/Collier
Justin/Jeffres
Horton/Sinbande
Johnson/Odukale

Was talentened enough to finish .500 in the league

I welcomes discussion of that. particularly from posters who have been silent recently.

The league was far from a juggernaut.

You way too easily waved away the “We are back” sentiment felt and expressed during that time by our fan base.

it was “far” from a guy here and a guy there.

Try being honest.

People were not reacting to “YOUR” outlier.
They’re fans who were dying for anything positive. Fans are fickle in either direction.

Here is the thread detailing the mood at the time:

** Let’s just cut to the chase. We are BACK! There is NO doubt about it.

** I’m not getting ahead of myself. I’m not saying this is a great team. And I’m not thinking we should make Final Four plans.

** But we are once again relevant. Important even. We are now once again contenders. We are BACK!

** We will be able to once again argue about whether Joe Lunardi’s seed for the Panthers is as high as it should be.

** We should again be watching other tournament level teams from across the county so that we can start thinking about matchups in March.

** We can turn on college hoops shows on Saturdays and listen to them talking about how the Panther’s might be a tough out in the Dance.

** @NTOP even wants to start planning Gamewatches!

** It’s been awhile since we have been able to do these things. But we are BACK. And it’s GLORIOUS!

** I won’t even say we are back ahead of schedule. Hell … I don’t even care about the schedule anymore. I’m just so freaking happy to be here. Did I mention that we are BACK!

** OK … OK … OK … I’ll calm down now and talk a little bit about the basketball game that truly signaled we are back.

** There’s so many things to note about this game, so I’ll start with one that I don’t think others will. Coach K doesn’t play zone defense all that often. But he played it almost the entire game.

** Coaches played zone against the Panthers last year more than any other team in College Basketball except one.

** It would seem to me that Coach K came into this contest not believing this Panther team had turned the corner. He believed we were the same team we’ve been for the last two years.

** Turns out Hall of Fame K was wrong.

** For the first 45 minutes of this game, the Panthers ripped the Duke zone to shreds with penetration, execution, and a certain Panther named Justin who looks like he’s pretty good at this game of basketball.

** That’s as an impressive of a stretch as I’ve seen played by a Panther Team in quite some time. At least since a guy named Patterson strode the court. Probably before that even.

** But there’s a reason Coach K is a Hall of Famer and he countered by extending his zone much further out. I’m wondering if he actually switched to a 3-2 instead of a 2-3.

** Right around the same time, Xavier Johnson took a breather with his third foul and our 15 point margin soon after became just a bucket.

** Of course, Duke’s prize freshman recruit, among the 10 best in the country, had much to do with that. For the record, Jalen Johnson is really good.

** For most of the game, the Panthers defended really, really well. But there were times Jalen was better than the best we had to offer.

** But as good as Jalen Johnson is, he wasn’t even close to the game’s best player. Not even close.

** Ask yourself this. How many times didn’t you just shake your head in amazement watching Justin Champagnie today?

** If your answer is 5 or 6, you are either lying or you are really hard to impress. I think I lost count when I reached double digits.

** We’ve already marveled at Justin’s rebounding this year, and this game was no different. But today, he was nothing short of an offensive juggernaut, scoring in almost every way possible. There was not one thing Duke was able to do to stop him. In fact, I suspect that’s why Duke extended their zone, hoping they could keep him from getting the ball altogether.

** I’ve probably watched a little less College Basketball this year than I typically would have to this point. But nonetheless, that was the best offensive game I’ve seen any player play this year. Justin is playing for All-American at this point, and that’s no exaggeration.

** If there is any shame in Justin’s evening, it’s that it overshadowed one of the most hard-nosed, ultra-workmanlike Panther performances we have seen in a long, long time. Au’Diese is going to need to speed some time in whirlpool tonight. He’s got to be hurting, well beyond the cramp that scared the crap out of me in the final seconds.

** I remember some performances that really showed toughness. Think of Nasir and Brad at Villanova in 2011, Chevy at the Dome in 2005, or almost any game played by Jaron Brown. This was up there with any of them. Maybe beyond them all.

** Despite Justin the Superhero, AD scored 7 of our last 14 points, mostly just by powering to the rim and getting fouled.

** Rounding out our Big Three was another big effort by the guy who has clearly moved among the top point guards in the ACC. I suspect that Xavier made a few too many errors for some people’s tastes, but his aggression set the tone for the Panthers. We will continue to win lots of big games if he plays like this.

** And this year, he’s been making the plays when they count the most in crunch time.

** Let’s also give a shout out to our center “combo.” Terrell Brown had a nice impact in the first half, and AKC was really quite good in the second half.

** Of course I must mention my only real regret, which was that we couldn’t be there at the Pete to watch it. This game would have been right up there with the handful of great ones at the Pete we have been able to experience over the past 18 years.

** Side question -- @Atch … have you been invited to watch this or any other game in person? I hope so.

** While I’ve already stated that we are back, I’m hoping there’s one more poster who might chime in on the subject – that being @17-15 . Back in 2001-2002, early in that season he proclaimed “22-7 … at least” before so many of the rest of us saw such success. I wonder what he sees now.

** Of course, predicting an actual record for the season might be the hardest task at all, not knowing how many games we will actually be able to play. But I hope 17-15 and others will join in the idea that we are BACK!

** I’ll close with a short but meaningful thought to the man who promised be would bring us back. Thank you Jeff!

** One more time -- We’re BACK!

So they are wrong and you are right?

I get it.
I expected they’d be a bit better than they were. But I was never on board with the tourney talk.

Bottom line is the performance and record speaks for itself.

But here’s the thing - it’s still all on Capel. Practice, game day, talent acquisition. Period.

But like I’ve said previously sometimes personality dynamics create conflict no matter what. I guarantee you coach K, Self, or whoever had kids they couldn’t reach.

And I have zero issue with anyone’s optimism. But just because people on a message board think “we’re back” doesn’t make it so. Whether it’s one or a hundred.

Last edited:
God forbid someone get excited about something that's supposed to be fun. I always cringe a bit when someone gets overly exuberant on here, but not because I dislike positivity. It's because the usual suspects who desperately need to be medicated will keep bringing it up as if bleating on about Pitt being bad is a worthwhile exercise. I have never been around a fanbase in my life, whether professional or "amateur", more obsessed with self-flagellation and negativity.

Reactions: BPKY
Hahahaha. You serious?

Hey ... I was wrong. :(

I thought the team had really turned a corner. They were playing really good basketball at the time.

My bad. What else can I say?

I thought the team had really turned a corner. They were playing really good basketball at the time.

You were not wrong., neither were a lot of other people. The team (at least before the Hugley departure) was plenty good enough to win.

We self destructed. Pure and simple.

Hahahaha. You serious?

Gary understood the subliminal message in DT’s post

Shouldn’t have needed to say anything. But apparently someone thinks your word is fact when it was your opinion. So he decided to drag you into this mess.

Where did I say “We are back” was fact? Try to pay attention.
You don’t need to. You keep saying that we had enough talent, where we should finish, whatever. You quoted DT and even posted his thread. So your position is quite clear.

If DT said the sky was green I’d expect you to believe him.

Gary understood the subliminal message in DT’s post

I'll own it. That post turned out to be one of the most ridiculous things ever posted on the Lair, and that's saying something! But I'm not going to try to backtrack. It wasn't exuberance just for exuberance sake. I meant every word at the time. Sure, I was more pumped than I should have been because for the first time in 4 and 1/2 years we had something to get excited about.

Hahahaha. You serious?

Also ... you'd lose the bet. :confused:

Reactions: Drew1208
That is rich.

Do a little intersection.
No need. I always think for myself and form my own opinions. I never fully agree or disagree with anyone on here. Or life in general. As much as I’ve disagreed with you it isn’t always. Same with another poster who I won’t name.

You don’t need to. You keep saying that we had enough talent, where we should finish, whatever. You quoted DT and even posted his thread. So your position is quite clear.

If DT said the sky was green I’d expect you to believe him.

It's not green? Hmmm ....o_O

There was clearly enough talent to at least be a bubble-type team. Poor coaching and poor play lead to a disaster

Can you blame a Pitt Hoop fan for dying for anything positive? 19-71. Geeezzz :mad:
Absolutely not. And that’s what I said. We’re all looking for the positives as there have t been near enough.

For some that 3 game stretch clearly was enough for some. I wasn’t convinced we had cleared any humps but did think we were stepping forward.. But I certainly wasn’t expecting what was to come.

I was one of the people most cautious after that Duke win, and took plenty of heat for expressing it. However, the idea that nobody should have been optimistic or raising expectations after three really solid wins is silly.

I don't think Pitt should ever have been expected to make the field, but they definitely could've contended until late in the season. You can debate all you want about talent, but there's always overperforming and underperforming talent. That 2017 GT team was supposed to be awful and finished 8-10. Weird things happen sometimes.

No matter the talent or the odds, if we managed to start 4-1 we should've ended a hell of a lot better than 6-10. It was a complete failure from the players and the staff, and it is inexcusable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT