ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey

neench

Freshman
Aug 17, 2001
Not so long ago, college centers were 6' 9" or 6' 10". Now many teams have 7 footers. Edey at 7' 4" is literally raising the bar. Surprised he did not go previously in the draft.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Not so long ago, college centers were 6' 9" or 6' 10". Now many teams have 7 footers. Edey at 7' 4" is literally raising the bar. Surprised he did not go previously in the draft.
His back to the basket low post game has no value in today’s NBA, and he isn’t athletic enough to play the way the NBA game is played now.

In 1995, he’d have been a top 10 pick.

His back to the basket low post game has no value in today’s NBA, and he isn’t athletic enough to play the way the NBA game is played now.

This is true for a number of recent college stars - Cockburn from Illinois; Tshibwe (sp) from WVU and Kentucky. The game has passed them by. Who would Edey guard in the NBA?

Reactions: columbus mike
He's a big Lurch who uses his oversized body to pound smaller guys methodically in the paint. He's so deliberate and slow offensively. That's not going to work in the NBA.

Have you watched an NBA game recently? There is nothing about his game that translates

Reactions: 303vND
7 footers in college as seniors are there and not in the NBA for a reason.

Bacot is similar. He broke records at UNC because he played for 5 full seasons. I don’t see him doing much at all in the NBA.

Have you watched an NBA game recently? There is nothing about his game that translates
I respectfully disagree. Yes, Edey would be a liability on the defensive end, but he can carve out a role in the NBA.

The NBA is all about creating space. Edey is 7’4 and a plus passer with plus vision. He has decent post moves and can knock down a midrange jumper. He also has the ability to create fouls down low.

I’d be very surprised if he does not get drafted.

Reactions: Wanstash21
I respectfully disagree. Yes, Edey would be a liability on the defensive end, but he can carve out a role in the NBA.

The NBA is all about creating space. Edey is 7’4 and a plus passer with plus vision. He has decent post moves and can knock down a midrange jumper. He also has the ability to create fouls down low.

I think this is about right. he's a second rounder who will make a roster somewhere.

The NBA draft field is so cluttered with junk these days, I'm reasonably sure there's a spot in it for a 2 time college POY standing a strong, sturdy 7'4. But he will likely be a bench guy with a limited role for his career.

Reactions: TD_6082
Edey is for sure a late 1st/early 2nd Round pick. He's like a poor man's Yao Ming. I understand that the game is different now but even in the NBA, he is going to score at a high rate when you pass it to him. His value drops because he isnt going to be able to guard athletic 5's.

The better question is does he come back? You'd figure he can get $3 million at Purdue next season. The last pick in the 1st Round only gets $2 million. And if he goes into the portal, wouldn't someone like Arkansas or someone else throw $5 million at him? He's the most dominant college player in a generation and virtually guarantees a Final Four if you have at least A10 talent aroind him.

Yeah. I think he's a niche player. He needs to improve his athleticism, and get more consistency on that little mid-range, and he can do some things on pick and rolls and carve out a few minutes a night.

Overall, I think the next level is going to be really hard for him though.

Edey is for sure a late 1st/early 2nd Round pick. He's like a poor man's Yao Ming. I understand that the game is different now but even in the NBA, he is going to score at a high rate when you pass it to him. His value drops because he isnt going to be able to guard athletic 5's.

The better question is does he come back? You'd figure he can get $3 million at Purdue next season. The last pick in the 1st Round only gets $2 million. And if he goes into the portal, wouldn't someone like Arkansas or someone else throw $5 million at him? He's the most dominant college player in a generation and virtually guarantees a Final Four if you have at least A10 talent aroind him.
Edey lost out on NIL

He will get drafted maybe even stick around a while but he is a much less athletic Steven Adams (who would have been an all star 20 years ago but now is a piece who can’t play in most playoff series).

Also Edey despite his numbers is a bad rebounder. He is slow and not athletic enough to get many boards he should and he focuses too much on boxing out putting himself in bad position for rebounding. UConn continually sagged off the center area for offensive rebounds and pulling edey out and allowed their speed to get those rebounds from the edges.

Reactions: 303vND
I love big guy, true back to the basket low post players....but they have become basketball's equivalent to the fullback.

Reactions: DORT

Nah man. Edey gonna get cooked. We're in a new golden age of NBA big men. Joker, Wemby, Embiid, etc. will absolutely embarrass Edey.

7 footers in college as seniors are there and not in the NBA for a reason.

Bacot is similar. He broke records at UNC because he played for 5 full seasons. I don’t see him doing much at all in the NBA.
I’m glad you said that about Bacot. I’ve had that discussion with people quite a bit recently. They made a big deal about him passing up Larry Miller this year in a game near the end of the season. Miller played three years and 40+ less games than Bacot.

He cant make "real" NIL as an International. But he CAN make "pay for play" NIL through a booster collective. If the Arksansas chicken man wants to pay him $5 million through their collective, they can.
Is he allowed to play another year? I honestly don’t know the rules anymore.

He's not athletic enough to be a force in the NCAA. Clingan looked pretty bad, too. Uconn was much better than Purdue's guys. Hurley is still a jackass.

Reactions: KittPitt
He's not athletic enough to be a force in the NCAA. Clingan looked pretty bad, too. Uconn was much better than Purdue's guys. Hurley is still a jackass.
I think you meant NBA, but otherwise agree on all points.

You don't have to be when you're a giant and some skill around the basket. He IS a force in the NCAA.

You don't have to be when you're a giant and some skill around the basket. He IS a force in the NCAA.
My bad, meant to say the NBA, He obviously was a force. Damn senility!!!

Reactions: TD_6082
He's a big Lurch who uses his oversized body to pound smaller guys methodically in the paint. He's so deliberate and slow offensively. That's not going to work in the NBA.
Yeah I agree. I think Clingan is actually the guy who can translate. Much more nimble and athletic than Edey.

He cant make "real" NIL as an International. But he CAN make "pay for play" NIL through a booster collective. If the Arksansas chicken man wants to pay him $5 million through their collective, they can.
Again, you disagree with the man himself.

Once you get something stuck in your head, no amount of facts can convince you otherwise.

Again, you disagree with the man himself.

Once you get something stuck in your head, no amount of facts can convince you otherwise.

You dont understand. Yes, Edey lost out on money. Because real NIL wasnt available to him. He couldn't do commercials or billboards or stuff like that. However, 80% of NIL money is made through the booster pay for play collectives. So Edey didnt lose out on much. He was still able to make bank through the Purdue collective. How? Very simply. Hey, Zack, here's $2 million, now go put on a kids clinic in Toronto and visit some kids in the hospital back home. Everyone understands this but you. Even Fede Federiko was making 6 figures this year. How?

You dont understand. Yes, Edey lost out on money. Because real NIL wasnt available to him. He couldn't do commercials or billboards or stuff like that. However, 80% of NIL money is made through the booster pay for play collectives. So Edey didnt lose out on much. He was still able to make bank through the Purdue collective. How? Very simply. Hey, Zack, here's $2 million, now go put on a kids clinic in Toronto and visit some kids in the hospital back home. Everyone understands this but you. Even Fede Federiko was making 6 figures this year. How?
And you know this to be true, right?

LOL. You're so full of crap.

And you know this to be true, right?

LOL. You're so full of crap.

Yes, I do. And its in the article if you read it. Do you honestly think international players dont make NIL?

"There are some workarounds to allow international players like Edey to reap rewards from their labor. For example, players can ink NIL deals when they're back in their home countries or their teams travel abroad. They also can receive money from passive NIL agreements, such as schools selling their jerseys through the campus bookstore."

Yes, I do. And its in the article if you read it. Do you honestly think international players dont make NIL?

"There are some workarounds to allow international players like Edey to reap rewards from their labor. For example, players can ink NIL deals when they're back in their home countries or their teams travel abroad. They also can receive money from passive NIL agreements, such as schools selling their jerseys through the campus bookstore."
I was referring to the amounts. And I won't argue with you because you simply have no clue what they are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT