ADVERTISEMENT

Zags

They couldn't even make foul shots the second half, absolutely could not put the ball in the ocean.

Pitt should have made Danny Hurley an offer he couldn't refuse when the chance was there. 😉

Seriously, though, as much as I hate UConn, he has them back big time.

Pitt should have made Danny Hurley an offer he couldn't refuse when the chance was there. 😉

I don't know if I'd be able to separate my hate for that man's face and Pitt hoops anymore. But I bet I could

Reactions: rockypanther

Word in the media at the time was Pitt offered more than UCONN but Hurley wanted to coach in the northeast.

Word in the media at the time was Pitt offered more than UCONN but Hurley wanted to coach in the northeast.

Would have been a home run hire for Pitt, but the dumpster fire fiasco of Stalling probably killed any real chance.

Must be nice to only have to play slightly over .500 against teams with a pulse and then beat up midgets all season after that and still get a high seed.

Must be nice to only have to play slightly over .500 against teams with a pulse and then beat up midgets all season after that and still get a high seed.
They did beat TCU and UCLA in this tournament too. Obviously got rocked yesterday but UConn seems to be rocking everyone this tournament.

They did beat TCU and UCLA in this tournament too. Obviously got rocked yesterday but UConn seems to be rocking everyone this tournament.

That's fair. But UCLA was down two important pieces and basically took them down to a coin flip game. I just think Gonzaga has developed a name brand and is now benefitting from reputation a little too much. Not saying they're not legit, but they found a formula that shelters them from some things other teams aren't protected from. An off night against Florida State is a loss. An off night against San Francisco or San Diego is a 10-point win.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
That's fair. But UCLA was down two important pieces and basically took them down to a coin flip game. I just think Gonzaga has developed a name brand and is now benefitting from reputation a little too much. Not saying they're not legit, but they found a formula that shelters them from some things other teams aren't protected from. An off night against Florida State is a loss. An off night against San Francisco or San Diego is a 10-point win.
They remind me of Brian Kelly's Notre Dame at this point. You gotta give them a little credit for consistently taking care of business when they should. But they will always seem fraudulent until they seal the deal.

They are better than Brian Kelly's ND teams. Gonzaga has been to two national championship games. Multiple final Fours and Elite 8s. They have beat a bunch of really good teams. Yes they have come up short in the search for a title, but very consistent.

Because of their weak league, Few consistently loads up with one of the toughest OOC slates in all of college basketball, to make sure his team has the resume in March and to test his team against the best competition early. I suppose the barometer for them this season should have been that they went about .500 against those OOC big dogs, usually they win most of those games. But many tournament teams are a lot better by March than they are in December. The problem for the Zags was once they get through the OOC meat grinder they can coast all the way to March.

They are better than Brian Kelly's ND teams. Gonzaga has been to two national championship games. Multiple final Fours and Elite 8s. They have beat a bunch of really good teams. Yes they have come up short in the search for a title, but very consistent.
It's pretty comparable. In 12 years at ND, Kelly played for one national championship, made the playoffs two other times, and was a game away from the playoffs a couple other times. That's basically 3 final fours and 2 more elite 8 appearances.

4-16 since 2000 vs top 4 seeds

And given their W/L & Schedule, they’re usually walking through to the sweet 16 before playing anyone decent
I give them credit for getting themselves into that position to be able to have that situation. It's better than being in 4th place in a tough league and having a gauntlet to fight through :) .

I'd argue it's much harder to get to the championship game and final four in the NCAA tourney vs cfb playoff. Especially Notre Dame fb. Usc was down for a long period of Kelly's tenure. Besides Clemson who did ND play and beat prior to playoff?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT