ADVERTISEMENT

Zeise's blog

Yep.. He averaged 4.6 points in 17 minutes
Then he averaged 5.9 in 21 minutes

Here's the difference between us..
I can comprehend facts in context.
You rely strictly on anecdotes.
How did McGhee look as a freshman? Like a big oaf, that's how. When he came in to spell Blair I remember thinking that this guy would do next to nothing for us and I was dead wrong. Newkirk came on late in the season for us as a freshman and myself and a lot of others was excited to see what he could be here. His 2nd year he flat out stunk. Didn't even look like the same player. That to me once again shows it's the coaching.

In addition the discord as stated above, I'll make a general statement that could be a minor or not so minor influence. Offensive players pout when they aren't as successful as they'd like to be or used to being.Think of Tom Brady when he's getting hit.

The pouting often trickles into other areas of there game and permeates through the team. This group is perhaps the most offensively inclined group of JD's tenure.

It is abundantly clear that there are several players on this team that when they start struggling to make shots that their defense, nothing great to begin with, goes straight into the crapper. Artis, Jeter and Young are the three biggest examples of that.

How did McGhee look as a freshman? Like a big oaf, that's how. When he came in to spell Blair I remember thinking that this guy would do next to nothing for us and I was dead wrong. Newkirk came on late in the season for us as a freshman and myself and a lot of others was excited to see what he could be here. His 2nd year he flat out stunk. Didn't even look like the same player. That to me once again shows it's the coaching.
You don't remember Gary scoring double digits against usf as your anecdote?

Newkirk scored more in his second year than in his first.

Like I said... You have a fundamental failure to observe anything which contradicts your bias.
It's why you are a man child.

Like I said... You have a fundamental failure to observe anything which contradicts your bias.
There you go with your insults again. The sad part is that you think you do no wrong on here. Very sad.

Artis and Young probably hate everyone else because they stink. Everyone else probably hates Young and Artis because they take bad shots and don't play defense. Not exactly rocket science.

Yup. Seems as rational of a thought as I've seen on this bored... or board... whatever. I must admit... I love the banter between Artis/Jeter as to who plays less defense. ROFLMAO.

But the drunk dude... yeah... Young isn't exactly a defensive stalwart. How many times was he left standing in no-man's land - not guarding anyone - then left to watch the guy behind him slam it home.

Newkirk came on his 1st year here but looked really horrible last year. Again though, is it coaching?

He was injured... that was quite obvious. I don't understand why he was run-off. His replacement... Wilson kinda reminds me of Graves w/ a better shot but equally out-of-control as a freshman. Maybe Dixon can hire a coach who can teach some fundamentals to the guy. Maybe.

But the drunk dude... yeah... Young isn't exactly a defensive stalwart. How many times was he left standing in no-man's land - not guarding anyone - then left to watch the guy behind him slam it home.

Followed by him immediately turning around and waving his arms at everyone as if to say "which of you guys allowed that to happen?", never seeming to realize that the guy that allowed it to happen was him.

Newkirk couldn't dribble, shoot, or defend last year...
I'm sorry... That's not because of coaching.

He was given a big role and a long leash and faltered.

Maybe he'll grow into a good player with the right role

But he got nearly 21 minutes per game last year.
I agree he was just a disaster last year. He had no confidence, you could see it in his face. And he was a guy who had some real skills-he's out there dribbling the ball off his foot, throwing the ball away, taking bad shots, looking lost and scared.

I'm not so sure it was all his fault. I think what he does at IU will be telltale in that regard. If he's no better than he was here, safe to say he was just a bust. If he's a valuable player and solid contributor, I think you have to start to wonder about Dixon's methods.

It's helpful for people to use the Google machine at times to look up real information before just spewing opinions. Josh Newkirk's numbers improved almost across the board with only a three minute per game (to the plus side) change in his second year.

The reasons for a player's regression on defense and in decision making are frustrating. And when you can't find an answer, it's easy to just vomit on to the keyboard "must be the coaching".

In the end, it's likely we'll never actually know what happened with him. We'll have to wait and see what he does at IU, and then we'll still not know for sure. It's premature to say he was coached differently or poorly from year one to year two - when the two major categories of his regression were shooting and decision-making.

Glad to be of help.

It's helpful for people to use the Google machine at times to look up real information before just spewing opinions. Josh Newkirk's numbers improved almost across the board with only a three minute per game (to the plus side) change in his second year.

The reasons for a player's regression on defense and in decision making are frustrating. And when you can't find an answer, it's easy to just vomit on to the keyboard "must be the coaching".

In the end, it's likely we'll never actually know what happened with him. We'll have to wait and see what he does at IU, and then we'll still not know for sure. It's premature to say he was coached differently or poorly from year one to year two - when the two major categories of his regression were shooting and decision-making.

Glad to be of help.
Data and stats are for losers. You should only use the "eye test", anecdotes and hyperbole. That will get you to the truth.

I'll reserve seeing Newkirk in a different system before judgement. I know his AAU coach well. We couldn't believe he committed to Pitt in the first place. He's too fast, instinctive and athletic of a player for the tempered, cerebral point guard style JD prefers.

Some players can play in a structured system and integrate their instinctive playground skill set into the system. Newkirk had great difficulty with this. It's hard to foresee until it's too late. AAU play does is not a platform for cerebral, tempered, point guard play evaluation generally speaking.

I wouldn't say instincts were strong.

Instinct is a relative term, but the instinct to react immediately is his game. Some coaches permit this, some don't. JR's instincts are to read the floor and respond accordingly, while some instinctively seek avenues to attack the rim. This is Newkirk. But, this is not a JD point guard.

How Newkirk didn't see this prior to coming to Pitt I'll never know. He was appraised, but didn't heed advice from what I understand. 3rd party heard. Nonetheless, when an offense doesn't fit a player's skill set, the player often appears less talented than actual. We'll see.I look forward to seeing him in a different system.

Instinct is a relative term, but the instinct to react immediately is his game. Some coaches permit this, some don't. JR's instincts are to read the floor and respond accordingly, while some instinctively seek avenues to attack the rim. This is Newkirk. But, this is not a JD point guard.

How Newkirk didn't see this prior to coming to Pitt I'll never know. He was appraised, but didn't heed advice from what I understand. 3rd party heard. Nonetheless, when an offense doesn't fit a player's skill set, the player often appears less talented than actual. We'll see.I look forward to seeing him in a different system.
Krauser and fields did.

Here's the real issue... Josh isn't actually a point guard. He's an undersized two.

The kid essentially won the Boston college game for us early in the year. The longer players are around Dixon lately....

Reactions: PittPoker
Krauser and fields did.

Here's the real issue... Josh isn't actually a point guard. He's an undersized two.

He's not a JD or Pitt Point Guard. But his point guard skill set is suitable for teams and coaches who prefer point guards with strong "2" guard skill sets, playing the "1". College basketball is full of them. There's more than one point guard mold universally, but only one exists at Pitt imo.

It's similar to college football teams who run offenses requiring dual-threat quarterbacks instead of conventional ones. Ohio State's J.T. Barrett will go to the NFL as a receiver, but played quarterback ahead of Cardale Jones, who's more of a traditional drop back passer. At Pitt the the offensive coordinator preferred to go with a traditional drop back passer in Pederson as opposed to the less conventional one in Voytik. 2 different molds or styles, depending on the coach preference and philosophy.

With Pitt, JD much prefers pure "1's". He's fine with his point having a few "2" guard skills (Krauser & Field), but not at the expense of fulfilling responsibilities given to his point guard. JD offers no compromises here. Herein lies the Newkirk issue. He's a small combo guard without the tempo filter that often accompanies instinctual point guards, and most importantly, played for a coach who demanded a point guard temperament to satisfy his preference for half court sets and valued possessions.

Last edited:
Yes, Dixon expects his lead guard to be able to pass and defend..
Otherwise, we tend to let them do what they do best.

Newkirk isn't much different than tray Woodall in skills or athleticism (at least tray before groin injury).

I'll contend there isn't some defined type of point guard needed.
Josh got about 21 minutes per game which were mostly at the two...
So his struggles had little to do with Dixon's expectations for a point.

Yeah, I mean Krauser, Levance, they didn't have any "playground" in them, and they were mostly perimeter point guards also. Never tried to penetrate.

Good post.

Reactions: QuitCallingMeWanny
Last time I checked this team is 17-7 and 6-6 in the conference. Am i happy with their performance? Not really but lets not make it out like we are a bottom feeder needing to win our first game. Yes there are issues with this team. There are issues with recruiting but they can still win 20 games and get in the show. Team is limited but its not a horrible team. Need more quickness at the one which he will have next year, the defense starts there as penetration begets defensive help which begets open shots. Arti

Pitt82

I think newkirk will do well at IU.

He is just another In what is becoming a long line of players Dixon wasn't able to reach.
You mustn't have watched his play here. He was lost out there and not a gifted shooter. JD took a chance on a quick guard that didn't pan out. For his sake hope your right ,but I doubt it.

Well maybe you're forgetting his contributions as a freshman. I seem to remember he won a key game for us singlehandedly hmmm??
Can we say the same about your fav JRob and he's been pivotal in winning more than 1 game.

Data and stats are for losers. You should only use the "eye test", anecdotes and hyperbole. That will get you
I'll reserve seeing Newkirk in a different system before judgement. I know his AAU coach well. We couldn't believe he committed to Pitt in the first place. He's too fast, instinctive and athletic of a player for the tempered, cerebral point guard style JD prefers.

Some players can play in a structured system and integrate their instinctive playground skill set into the system. Newkirk had great difficulty with this. It's hard to foresee until it's too late. AAU play does is not a platform for cerebral, tempered, point guard play evaluation generally speaking.
If what we've had the past 4 years is the tempered, cerebral point guard you reference, I'm ready to see the alternative.

agree. I think you put that very well. There's something more to the problem than just players not being a good fit for Dixon Ball.

I find this whole idea that the offensive minded players struggle to play for Dixon to be a cop out. First of all, EVERY exceptional HS player under 6'11 is offensive minded, they are all scorers at the HS level. Secondly, just to give one example, Tom Izzo is as hard-assed and demanding a defensive coach as there has ever been, yet somehow he finds a way to get all those elite top 50 types who come in as big time scorers to buy in and play really hard at both ends. So I don't entirely buy this whole notion that the downfall,of Pitt basketball has been recruiting supposedly better offensive players into the program at the expense of our tough, defensive program identity.

I do think we have a coaching problem as well as a player problem, which, let's face it, is also a coaching problem. I don't think it's as much that our players only want to play offense as it is that they just aren't very good at either end, and our coach isn't very good about adapting to the strengths of his personnel.
Losing creates disharmony in any team sport, if Pitt was winning everyone except a few posters would be one big happy family. I'm sure the players are frustrated because I'm sure practices are brutal with the coaches frustrations coming out in their inability to play D. The problem is you can't teach size ,strength ,quickness and heart. Team needs infusion of talent with 5 guys maybe 6 new players next season. I know everyone seems to forget but this is still a patchwork roster next years additions should start the normalization of the roster. 2017 is a big year for recruiting to build on this years additions it needs to have an impact player.

Last time I checked this team is 17-7 and 6-6 in the conference. Am i happy with their performance? Not really but lets not make it out like we are a bottom feeder needing to win our first game. Yes there are issues with this team. There are issues with recruiting but they can still win 20 games and get in the show. Team is limited but its not a horrible team. Need more quickness at the one which he will have next year, the defense starts there as penetration begets defensive help which begets open shots. Arti

Pitt82
Out of our 7 losses, 6 were in the conference. We lost badly to the only legitimately good non-conference opponent we played, a 6 loss, #17 ranked Purdue team.

Our team is visibly struggling on the floor. The body language, frustration and lack of energy is glaring.

I'd say we have a pretty bad situation.

Reactions: PittPoker
Yes, Dixon expects his lead guard to be able to pass and defend..
Otherwise, we tend to let them do what they do best.

Newkirk isn't much different than tray Woodall in skills or athleticism (at least tray before groin injury).

I'll contend there isn't some defined type of point guard needed.
Josh got about 21 minutes per game which were mostly at the two...
So his struggles had little to do with Dixon's expectations for a point.
Newk is much quicker than Woodall ever was, and a bit bigger. Woodall was a lot tougher, mentally and physically, than Newk.

you can't measure a player's instincts with empirical data, so I'm surprised you even acknowledge they exist at all.
Sure you can...
Instincts are very measurable...
steals, assists, deflections, turnovers, shooting percentage, points per game, fouls drawn. Those are are measures of instincts.

Some people have an innate understanding of how to play the game and see plays develop before they do with great vision. Others don't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT