ADVERTISEMENT

Zeise's blog

It is hard from all of us to truly tell what is wrong as we are outsiders. We don't fly with the teams to games, attend practices regularly, etc., so much of what is typed on this board is speculation. However, Paul Z clearly states there is chemistry issues, which makes sense.

Another poster commented they did attend a practice and saw Mike Young get knocked around which led to MY pouting and going off and sitting in the sidelines during the drills. If one of the supposed leaders is doing that, then it is a complete microcosm of what is wrong here.

Coach Dixon is probably trying to give some of these kids the benefit of the doubt, but he needs to come to grasp with who they are and clean house if necessary. I would be fine with him starting to do that now by simply not playing someone such as a MY, if he truly is the one with the bad attitude affecting the team.

This team.has been unraveling for a few weeks now, similar to last year.

Zeise seems to have mind blocked the miami game last year, which was the worst game I have seen in jds tenure with one of his teams literally giving up in the first half.

The fold they are in is just like last year.

Youngs affect was really bad yesterday, hard to see how that gets turned around.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
Ya they got some guys with bad body language......but when you are down by 25 points on the road it's tough to look gung ho. The coaching staff has some body language issues as well.

Again name 5 teams in the acc that Pitt has more talent than and I'll tell you you're wrong.

Look we're not winning anyways now with Young and Artis so if we really do collapse(like it looks like we are) then heck, get rid of them for next year, start over. Get guys that want to play on both ends of the court.

All it takes is for Young to have a negative attitude and it trickles down. Probably exactly what is happening.

This team.has been unraveling for a few weeks now, similar to last year.

Zeise seems to have mind blocked the miami game last year, which was the worst game I have seen in jds tenure with one of his teams literally giving up in the first half.

The fold they are in is just like last year.

Youngs affect was really bad yesterday, hard to see how that gets turned around.
Pitt is having a lot of worse game ever games lately

its over for this year...never get it back with the talent we have...never

Another poster commented they did attend a practice and saw Mike Young get knocked around which led to MY pouting and going off and sitting in the sidelines during the drills. If one of the supposed leaders is doing that, then it is a complete microcosm of what is wrong here.
Makes sense then that he didn't start at Carolina. Didn't have a problem with it, I just couldn't understand for the life of me how Artis was still starting. As dumb and lazy as they both are on the court, at least Artis never pouts and throws fits like Young. Worst part is, even with J-Rob struggling, once he graduates this team will have zero leadership.

Any truth to the assertion by the guy who posted on Fifth & Forbes that Jeter got booted from practice last week?

Wow, Jeter is one of the few kids who show some heart on the court during game day.

But, this team seems to skunked, anything is possible.

Jeter doesn't strike me as the type of guy that likes to be played around with. He seems to be pretty competitive. He may be getting frustrated with his teammates. More likely though he would be frustrated by him not starting for most of the year and getting say out on the bench for every mistake he makes while some players don't seem to be held as accountable (JRob and Artis)

Listen Jeter shouldn't be upset about anything he should be happy he's playing D1 basketball , he's the worst defender on the team by far even worse than Young and Artis which is saying something , he has like 3 good games in his entire college career , he's limited offensively he has nothing outside of an occasional 17 foot jump shot , tired of the DIVAS on this team

Reactions: Pitt5593
Listen Jeter shouldn't be upset about anything he should be happy he's playing D1 basketball , he's the worst defender on the team by far even worse than Young and Artis which is saying something , he has like 3 good games in his entire college career , he's limited offensively he has nothing outside of an occasional 17 foot jump shot , tired of the DIVAS on this team
Do you know anything about basketball? Jeter at least is aggressive in the boards and contests shots. He is as close to a player that has done intensity as we have.

And are you really saying Jeter is not division 1? If so than neither are Ododa, Luther, Jones, or Smith. They all bring less than Jeter.

Artis is by far the worst defender in the team and everyone a close second. How you could just single out Jeter as by far the worst is impossible when everyone is pretty bad.

Reactions: bobfree
Do you know anything about basketball ? Jeter is horrible on defense , he never contests any shot , as a matter of fact he is usually wandering somewhere nowhere near his man , he is an athlete not a basketball player and yes I agree none of those guys you named should be anywhere near an ACC basketball game , they're mid major level players but I do like Ryan Luther

Artis is by far the worst defender in the team and everyone a close second. How you could just single out Jeter as by far the worst is impossible when everyone is pretty bad.
Artis is horrible but Jeter is worse and I think most people here would tell you the same ..

Do you know anything about basketball ? Jeter is horrible on defense , he never contests any shot , as a matter of fact he is usually wandering somewhere nowhere near his man , he is an athlete not a basketball player and yes I agree none of those guys you named should be anywhere near an ACC basketball game , they're mid major level players but I do like Ryan Luther
Well at least you think everyone stinks. So I guess I can't fault that. I just happen to think many of our players stink more than Jeter.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDays
Well at least you think everyone stinks. So I guess I can't fault that. I just happen to think many of our players stink more than Jeter.
Yea because this team is very limited talent wise .. And I was talking mostly about defense with Jeter especially , he's just terrible , like I said it's just disgusting how some of these guys have these big egos and aren't even that good ..

A significant underlying discord is present. The players and coaches know what's up. We'll hear about it in a year or two when harmony and playing for one another is cited as a reason for there successes and a player or 2 casually refers to previous years' teams disharmony. All or most other reasons discussed are the results from disharmony and discontentment. but not the reasons.

Last edited:
Do you know anything about basketball? Jeter at least is aggressive in the boards and contests shots. He is as close to a player that has done intensity as we have.

And are you really saying Jeter is not division 1? If so than neither are Ododa, Luther, Jones, or Smith. They all bring less than Jeter.
It's not debatable he's not only one of the worst defenders on an awful defense...
He's one of the the guys constantly lost on defense.. Especially in a zone...as if he's never played basketball before.

In addition the discord as stated above, I'll make a general statement that could be a minor or not so minor influence. Offensive players pout when they aren't as successful as they'd like to be or used to being.Think of Tom Brady when he's getting hit.

The pouting often trickles into other areas of there game and permeates through the team. This group is perhaps the most offensively inclined group of JD's tenure.

Conversely, defensively inclined players aren't as high maintenance. They've never been pampered or catered to. They don't even know what that feels like. JD has made his career recruiting and maximizing, under-appreciated, offensively challenged, under-recruited and highly coach-able kids.

They know they're out of place and revel in knowing so. JD veered off course a little to perhaps adjust to the ACC and found himself with a few Khem Birch's on his hands.

They know they're out of place and revel in knowing so. JD veered off course a little to perhaps adjust to the ACC and found himself with a few Khem Birch's on his hands.

The recruiting clearly veered off course the past few years - there were players like Haughton (sp?) and Newkirk that were hardly even D1 players. Even Wilson, who's a 4 star recruit, looks like he doesn't belong. The recruiting class for this year seems to more closely resembles the type of recruiting classes that were successful in the past with more physical and perhaps slightly under-recruited players - the question: is it too little, too late?

The one concern I have - has recruiting become such a dirty business that it's nearly impossible for less established programs to compete without getting their hands muddy? The implications are not good.

The recruiting clearly veered off course the past few years - there were players like Haughton (sp?) and Newkirk that were hardly even D1 players. Even Wilson, who's a 4 star recruit, looks like he doesn't belong. The recruiting class for this year seems to more closely resembles the type of recruiting classes that were successful in the past with more physical and perhaps slightly under-recruited players - the question: is it too little, too late?

The one concern I have - has recruiting become such a dirty business that it's nearly impossible for less established programs to compete without getting their hands muddy? The implications are not good.
If you're not gonna out and out cheat ya gotta "play the game" as Matt has alluded to in many posts over the years. Pitt does neither and up until recently when they gave a half-hearted effort to retain Slice (and outside of giving Jamie a raise every 5 seconds) they were known as a program that didn't pay their assistants much either. Gone are the days of shooting the poo with a HS coach and having him steer a few kids your way on a handshake. Now it's Sneaker City, AAU Traveling Teams with Coaches with their hands out and more of the modern player uttering "Me! Me! Me!" throughout his recruitment and college career. Pitt stays above all of it for the most part and you see the kind of talent that attracts.

Reactions: PittPoker
I think newkirk will do well at IU.

He is just another In what is becoming a long line of players Dixon wasn't able to reach.

One of the benefits of recruiting the Brad Wannamaker's, Travon Woodall and Nasir Robinson and Gary McGhee's of the world is not having to get in the mud with other programs because other programs didn't covet them as much as Pitt did. That was JD's niche in a sense. While they weren't borderline D1 players, the upper crust of Division 1 were not pursuing them.

I recall Pitt beating out Richmond for Ramon. Nova recruited over Benjamin who de-committed from them and came to Pitt. Nova didn't even recruit Wannamaker and Brad made them pay a few times because of it. Pitt seemed to get the best of the rest after Cuse,G-Town,UConn and Nova passed on players. We even lost a few to Rutgers and Seton Hall. Particularly players who preferred not having to be constrained offensively.

It took a special player to come to Pitt. JD has gotten away from that. I recall Woodall, Zanna and Wannamaker acknowledging many players were not a fit for Pitt's program. Sometimes you have to get away from yourself to realize that's where you needed to stay in the first place.

Antionio Graves, Aaron Gray, Keith Benjamin, John DeGroat, Ronald Ramon, Lamar Patterson, Talib, Gibbs, Nasir Robinson, Woodall were the 3 star recruits that teamed with Young, Wannamaker, Blair, Fields and Biggs to form the epitome of Dixon's chemistry driven teams. The 4 stars recruited by JD were not recruited strongly by Uconn, 'Cuse, NC, etc.

They were grittier and less refined than the "come out the box ready" types that the other top teams recruited. It's been a number of years since the opposing teams coach referred to Pitt as tougher and more physical. I fully recognize the rule changes on physicality, but a few teams are still playing stifling defense without fouling, so it can still be done. JD has to reclaim what got him to this point and find at least one ace recruiter.

Happens all the time. Company's acquire other companies from other industries and realize they're out of their league, or a green-mailer will come along and bring them to their knees demanding fat be removed from the company's revenues. JD tried and it didn't/isn't working. He's still a good coach. He's realizing he's veered off course and he's trying to get the team back on course even though he's in the wrong hemisphere.

Last edited:
Artis and Young probably hate everyone else because they stink. Everyone else probably hates Young and Artis because they take bad shots and don't play defense. Not exactly rocket science.

Makes sense then that he didn't start at Carolina. Didn't have a problem with it, I just couldn't understand for the life of me how Artis was still starting. As dumb and lazy as they both are on the court, at least Artis never pouts and throws fits like Young. Worst part is, even with J-Rob struggling, once he graduates this team will have zero leadership.
This team has zero leadership now. If Young and Artis had any respect for their senior captain it would show on the court.

Show me a losing team and I'll show you a team with "bad chemistry". Teams that lose more than they should always have "bad chemistry".

The reality is this team just does not have the talent needed to compete in the ACC. They have no physical presence inside. They have zero threat at the guard position Mike Young has some nice talent but he cant carry a team by himself. Artis looked like he was going to break out this year against weaker competition but has been invisible against better competition. Earlier in the year the offense tended to flow through him. He was creating off the dribble and hitting shots. Teams have taken his dribble penetration away and he has not had an answer.

This team could be much better than they are with either a threat at the guard position or a strong physical presence inside Lacking both, they are just too easy to defend and they are not good enough defensively to win a defensive battle.

Again gotta hope that the incoming class can complement JA and MY better or next year will be more of the same

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffburgh
Ne

Newkirk had a better offer sheet than anyome on the Pitt team other than Robinson and Young. He transferred to a high P5 program. He didn't work out here, but I think it's safe to say he's a D1 player. Lumping him with Haughton is ridiculous. In fact, it will be interesting to see what happens at Indiana-he may thrive.

Now Jones, Luther, Cam, and our grad transfers-those are all questionable P5 players.

Ne

Newkirk had a better offer sheet than anyome on the Pitt team other than Robinson and Young. He transferred to a high P5 program. He didn't work out here, but I think it's safe to say he's a D1 player. Lumping him with Haughton is ridiculous. In fact, it will be interesting to see what happens at Indiana-he may thrive.

Now Jones, Luther, Cam, and our grad transfers-those are all questionable P5 players.

I think his issues are largely mental, and it's very possible he'll do better at Indiana...but did you actually watch him play last year? He was hot garbage. Didn't even look close to D1.

I think his issues are largely mental, and it's very possible he'll do better at Indiana...but did you actually watch him play last year? He was hot garbage. Didn't even look close to D1.

Agreed - Newkirk looked awful.

If it was mental, then it begs other questions about the coaching.

Newkirk came on his 1st year here but looked really horrible last year. Again though, is it coaching?

I think newkirk will do well at IU.

He is just another In what is becoming a long line of players Dixon wasn't able to reach.
agree. I think you put that very well. There's something more to the problem than just players not being a good fit for Dixon Ball.

I find this whole idea that the offensive minded players struggle to play for Dixon to be a cop out. First of all, EVERY exceptional HS player under 6'11 is offensive minded, they are all scorers at the HS level. Secondly, just to give one example, Tom Izzo is as hard-assed and demanding a defensive coach as there has ever been, yet somehow he finds a way to get all those elite top 50 types who come in as big time scorers to buy in and play really hard at both ends. So I don't entirely buy this whole notion that the downfall,of Pitt basketball has been recruiting supposedly better offensive players into the program at the expense of our tough, defensive program identity.

I do think we have a coaching problem as well as a player problem, which, let's face it, is also a coaching problem. I don't think it's as much that our players only want to play offense as it is that they just aren't very good at either end, and our coach isn't very good about adapting to the strengths of his personnel.

Reactions: PittPoker
Newkirk couldn't dribble, shoot, or defend last year...
I'm sorry... That's not because of coaching.

He was given a big role and a long leash and faltered.

Maybe he'll grow into a good player with the right role

But he got nearly 21 minutes per game last year.

Newkirk couldn't dribble, shoot, or defend last year...
I'm sorry... That's not because of coaching.

He was given a big role and a long leash and faltered.

Maybe he'll grow into a good player with the right role

But he got nearly 21 minutes per game last year.
Well maybe you're forgetting his contributions as a freshman. I seem to remember he won a key game for us singlehandedly hmmm??

Well maybe you're forgetting his contributions as a freshman. I seem to remember he won a key game for us singlehandedly hmmm??
Yep.. He averaged 4.6 points in 17 minutes
Then he averaged 5.9 in 21 minutes

Here's the difference between us..
I can comprehend facts in context.
You rely strictly on anecdotes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT