ADVERTISEMENT

Zoo

Maybe we can get HS students to take their place or offer free tickets to the original Zoo members who started it from scratch.

Reactions: Pitt MD
I try to never rag on the Zoo because they are the only reason there is any life in the Pete for 95% of the games. However, it is really hard to believe that there aren't at least 10 local Zoo regulars in the area over the holidays who could make the effort to show up. I think there were literally two there tonight.

Again, I'm not really criticizing them because I understand they are on break and have other things to do. I honestly just don't understand how it's possible to not have a few students show up. I have always gone out of town during the holidays so I haven't been at the games just before and after Christmas. For those who have, is it always like this?

I didnt see any Zoo members making it the first game I can remember with 0 students.

I agree that its hard to believe that with 16,000 undergrads, not counting grad students who could also have gotten a free ticket, there wasnt 5 or 10 that could have showed up.

I agree that its hard to believe that with 16,000 undergrads, not counting grad students who could also have gotten a free ticket, there wasnt 5 or 10 that could have showed up.
Obviously there were plenty of students who "could have showed up." You can figure that out by just taking a quick look at the geographic breakdown of students at Pitt. The problem is that a December 23rd game against Western Carolina (which Pitt ended up playing like it didn't want to be there either) just isn't enticing to come back to campus. That's whether a student is from Shadyside, Fox Chapel, or Clarion. It's just not worth it. I'm sure we'll see a much better turnout for Syracuse because it's Syracuse.

Also, don't forget that Pitt has one of the shortest winter breaks in the area. It's still plenty of time off, but it does give students far less time at home with family and friends than any other school.

As is always the case with complaining about student attendance, asking for 100 out of 17,000 undergrads to show up is the same as asking for 12,000 general attendance fans to show up in a region with over a million people and many Pitt alumni, fans, and family of alumni. Our attendance issues don't discriminate. They span all ages, races, sexes, etc. We just have bad fans.

Reactions: pitt-girl
Obviously there were plenty of students who "could have showed up." You can figure that out by just taking a quick look at the geographic breakdown of students at Pitt. The problem is that a December 23rd game against Western Carolina (which Pitt ended up playing like it didn't want to be there either) just isn't enticing to come back to campus. That's whether a student is from Shadyside, Fox Chapel, or Clarion. It's just not worth it. I'm sure we'll see a much better turnout for Syracuse because it's Syracuse.

Also, don't forget that Pitt has one of the shortest winter breaks in the area. It's still plenty of time off, but it does give students far less time at home with family and friends than any other school.

As is always the case with complaining about student attendance, asking for 100 out of 17,000 undergrads to show up is the same as asking for 12,000 general attendance fans to show up in a region with over a million people and many Pitt alumni, fans, and family of alumni. Our attendance issues don't discriminate. They span all ages, races, sexes, etc. We just have bad fans.

I get your point, they didn't feel like coming to the game and they certainly aren't required to. I didn't have to go either - I wanted to go because I enjoy college basketball in general and Pitt basketball in particular. Considering the attendance last night, clearly there aren't many others in this city who feel the same, which is sad.

However, I do still find it amazing that there aren't 10 or 15 students who enjoy college basketball and Pitt in particular, and want to attend the game just to see them play. I don't understand it and am curious if it has always been this way or if there is more apathy this year than in the past.

I get your point, they didn't feel like coming to the game and they certainly aren't required to. I didn't have to go either - I wanted to go because I enjoy college basketball in general and Pitt basketball in particular. Considering the attendance last night, clearly there aren't many others in this city who feel the same, which is sad.

However, I do still find it amazing that there aren't 10 or 15 students who enjoy college basketball and Pitt in particular, and want to attend the game just to see them play. I don't understand it and am curious if it has always been this way or if there is more apathy this year than in the past.
The Zoo is not even close to what it was in the heyday. The enthusiasm, chants, number of people there. The Zoo was started when our program was nowhere near as good as what it is today. It is a shame that anything positive in relation to Pitt sports goes negative. Sweet Caroline now is a signal to leave early. The Zoo which was once a wonderful student section now is pathetic.

The Zoo is not even close to what it was in the heyday. The enthusiasm, chants, number of people there. The Zoo was started when our program was nowhere near as good as what it is today. It is a shame that anything positive in relation to Pitt sports goes negative. Sweet Caroline now is a signal to leave early. The Zoo which was once a wonderful student section now is pathetic.
Clearly you were not at the Purdue game. They were loud and spilled into the overflow. Their attendance and enthusiasm put the rest of the Pete to shame.

Maybe if they got assigned seats for a donation, along with a promise their seats wouldn't be moved for four years, they would show up for OOC games two days before Christmas.

Clearly you were not at the Purdue game. They were loud and spilled into the overflow. Their attendance and enthusiasm put the rest of the Pete to shame.
No - I was there and that was the norm when the Zoo was good. I, along with the people around me were cheering loudly at the Purdue game. The start sucked out a lot of emotion early on, but the end of the half and points of the 2nd half people were pumped. I do agree that for a lot of games the normal crotchety fans sit on their hands.

Maybe if they got assigned seats for a donation, along with a promise their seats wouldn't be moved for four years, they would show up for OOC games two days before Christmas.

Sorry, didn't realize the Jeff Long thread was on the football board.

We do our best to get students to come back for all games over break, but it is important to be realistic. Even if they are local, many of their friends are not, leaving them to go to the game by themselves. As someone mentioned above, our break is extremely short, and many haven't seen their families for awhile even the local kids. We have heard from many that they do attend the games over break, but choose to sit with their families rather than the Zoo (which is ok). Every college goes through the same issue over winter break, even duke, Gonzaga, Purdue and all the other great student sections. We do our best with what we can over break. We focused on making as many accommodations as possible to get kids to come back for Cuse, and have had decent success. Whatever numbers we can't get for that game, we will make up for by being extra loud with who we have. And despite what your negative opinion is, the Zoo is one of the best student sections in the country today, and we don't plan on changing that anytime soon. H2P

December 30 will be an interesting case study. The students will still be on break, but it is Syracuse. I would hope that a couple hundred students that are local would make it to the Syracuse game.

That's a game where we might need to some crowd support. I'd hate for an empty zoo and a half-full arena for the Syracuse game.

Reactions: freddietee511
We do our best to get students to come back for all games over break, but it is important to be realistic. Even if they are local, many of their friends are not, leaving them to go to the game by themselves. As someone mentioned above, our break is extremely short, and many haven't seen their families for awhile even the local kids. We have heard from many that they do attend the games over break, but choose to sit with their families rather than the Zoo (which is ok). Every college goes through the same issue over winter break, even duke, Gonzaga, Purdue and all the other great student sections. We do our best with what we can over break. We focused on making as many accommodations as possible to get kids to come back for Cuse, and have had decent success. Whatever numbers we can't get for that game, we will make up for by being extra loud with who we have. And despite what your negative opinion is, the Zoo is one of the best student sections in the country today, and we don't plan on changing that anytime soon. H2P
I sure hope you guys carry the torch because it was started from scratch when the Pete opened, and we want the Zoo back to its old form. The team is 10-1 and needs some juice from the Zoo. The old crotchety fans were always in the bldg, but the Zoo could always be relied upon. H2P

We will not have our normal overflow crowd, but there will be enough students there to make a difference. We have heard from a number of students making the trip from over 7 hours away.
December 30 will be an interesting case study. The students will still be on break, but it is Syracuse. I would hope that a couple hundred students that are local would make it to the Syracuse game.

That's a game where we might need to some crowd support. I'd hate for an empty zoo and a half-full arena for the Syracuse game.

I believe a large % of the PITT students live in the area.
After freshman year most students have apartments so the students living out of the area may go home for Christmas but return to the campus fun zone soon after Christmas. Its way more fun there than hanging around with their parents especially on a big game weekend. Hemmingways should be jammed!

Young or Old, teams like Northeast Western Carolina CC will not get a rise out of fans of ANY P5 school. Not sure why it's so hard for you to grasp..
It is called school pride. A Pitt fan should be going to support PITT.

No - I was there and that was the norm when the Zoo was good. I, along with the people around me were cheering loudly at the Purdue game. The start sucked out a lot of emotion early on, but the end of the half and points of the 2nd half people were pumped. I do agree that for a lot of games the normal crotchety fans sit on their hands.
Okay, but your words were "The Zoo is now pathetic". That is just NOT true.

I believe a large % of the PITT students live in the area.
After freshman year most students have apartments so the students living out of the area may go home for Christmas but return to the campus fun zone soon after Christmas. Its way more fun there than hanging around with their parents especially on a big game weekend. Hemmingways should be jammed!
I could trot out all the published numbers again, but a large % of Pitt students do NOT live in the area. That notion is over a decade old at this point.

To be serious, our scheduling relative to late Fall/ early Winter holidays could be changed. We almost always schedule games the day before Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve and also close to Thanksgiving weekend when many students are off-campus and even regular folks are often tied up in Holiday preparations.

My wife has complained about this for years and I often attend these games by myself.

In the past, there was enough interest in the program that attendence for these holiday games was reasonable. Today, not so much.

Something else for Barnes to ponder....

Last edited:
I could trot out all the published numbers again, but a large % of Pitt students do NOT live in the area. That notion is over a decade old at this point.
I'd be interested in the numbers. I consider the area within 60 miles.
I can see the Zoo having low attendance during Christmas time (up to Dec.28) after that a lot of students return to apts, etc. especially for a big basketball game. Mine did and we're 5 hrs away.
I consider the area to be within 60 miles.
Trot out those numbers I would be interested in seeing them.
I can see the Zoo attendance being low up until around 12/28. After that a lot of students return to apartments etc. especially for a big basketball game if they're a Zoo member. Ours did.

I can see the Zoo having low attendance during Christmas time (up to Dec.28) after that a lot of students return to apts, etc. especially for a big basketball game. Mine did and we're 5 hrs away.

I can see the Zoo attendance being low up until around 12/28. After that a lot of students return to apartments etc. especially for a big basketball game if they're a Zoo member. Ours did.
I will - do you know if there is a search feature with this new incarnation of Rivals? I could then just link the last thread about this. Crazy Paco has a great graphic showing how many students come from each county in PA and the numbers that demonstrate out-of-state students comprise between 35-40% of the undergraduate population now. Students from Allegheny County have no advantage anymore.

Edit: Here is a link from one thread discussing the numbers. Scroll up in the thread for further information. There was another thread with a more detailed breakdown and if I get a chance later I will try to find and link.

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.co...-comes-to-supporting.38912/page-2#post-570641

Last edited:

As a parent of a student who has an apartment, I have to completely disagree that a lot of students will return before school starts. The term begins 1/6. Students normally stay home for their entire break because it is of such short duration. Not saying some might return early, but I think it is a very small number. Parents want their kids home with them over the Break.

I will - do you know if there is a search feature with this new incarnation of Rivals? I could then just link the last thread about this. Crazy Paco has a great graphic showing how many students come from each county in PA and the numbers that demonstrate out-of-state students comprise between 35-40% of the undergraduate population now. Students from Allegheny County have no advantage anymore.

Edit: Here is a link from one thread discussing the numbers. Scroll up in the thread for further information. There was another thread with a more detailed breakdown and if I get a chance later I will try to find and link.

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.co...-comes-to-supporting.38912/page-2#post-570641
Thanks and I'll check it out. You don't need to do any work I'll use the search feature. If you can find it I can ( I think).
Wow out of state students is high which is good for PITT more tuition!
When our kids went to PITT it was a bit different!
That's progress!

Last edited:
What is the Zoo's heydey? I was in the Zoo from 2008 all the way through 2013, with the last two seasons as a leader. I was in the media section for the Purdue game, and it was right up at the standard for the Zoo. As was said, the Zoo was overflowing and the GA fans didn't show up.

2008-2009 was a special year for both the team and the Zoo. The Zoo has frankly been pretty awesome despite the team not being nearly as good as it was up through 2011.
I mean, the team beat the #8 and #12 (at the time) teams at home last year with stellar performances from the Zoo. I really don't know where you're getting this "Zoo isn't as good as it used to be" mantra. The Cuse game was phenomenal as well.

We have these threads every single year during break, and the Zoo turns out to be more than fine once conference play starts.

We will not have our normal overflow crowd, but there will be enough students there to make a difference. We have heard from a number of students making the trip from over 7 hours away.
That would be great.

We need the zoo for the Syracuse game on national tv.

I'll be looking forward to your efforts to fill the Zoo the very best you can for the Syracuse game!

What is the Zoo's heydey? I was in the Zoo from 2008 all the way through 2013, with the last two seasons as a leader. I was in the media section for the Purdue game, and it was right up at the standard for the Zoo. As was said, the Zoo was overflowing and the GA fans didn't show up.

2008-2009 was a special year for both the team and the Zoo. The Zoo has frankly been pretty awesome despite the team not being nearly as good as it was up through 2011.
I mean, the team beat the #8 and #12 (at the time) teams at home last year with stellar performances from the Zoo. I really don't know where you're getting this "Zoo isn't as good as it used to be" mantra. The Cuse game was phenomenal as well.

We have these threads every single year during break, and the Zoo turns out to be more than fine once conference play starts.

For the Purdue game, I thought the Zoo was about as good as I've ever seen it. Well, perhaps that's not quite true -- maybe not like it was for some of the UConn games, but right up there with other comparable games over the years.

The rest of the crowd ... not so much.

Reactions: pitt-girl
I hate to point this out ,but there's more to life for a college age kid then going to a Pitt bb game over break against an unattractive opponent. Might even be true for most adults too!

I hate to point this out ,but there's more to life for a college age kid then going to a Pitt bb game over break against an unattractive opponent. Might even be true for most adults too!

Most adults, except for a pathetic few of us.

when you pay my donation and 4 season tickets costs along with expenses, then you can tell me and other fans what to do... Until then, worry about what Piranha does and nobody else..
Merry Christmas, Phil.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT