ADVERTISEMENT

And this is why giving up on Pickens is

Fair enough.

I still don’t think anyone’s giving up a 1 for him. 2 years of the rookie contract gone but on the other side he’s a known commodity. But I’d be surprised if that happened.

It's going to be a pretty low pick, and we're talking about a receiver who will be averaging about 1,000 yards per season in each of his first two years. I don't think it would even be a question that he could fetch that type of pick.

I think he'd be fine, attitude-wise, in KC's system. They'd figure out how to use him, and they don't have a true #1 (well, he's a tight end), so he might be more like a 1A. And KC (or Buffalo, or whomever) is playing for right now.

It's going to be a pretty low pick, and we're talking about a receiver who will be averaging about 1,000 yards per season in each of his first two years. I don't think it would even be a question that he could fetch that type of pick.

I think he'd be fine, attitude-wise, in KC's system. They'd figure out how to use him, and they don't have a true #1 (well, he's a tight end), so he might be more like a 1A. And KC (or Buffalo, or whomever) is playing for right now.
KC’s OL went from dawgs to dog poop over the last cpl years. They’re gonna have to make sure they address that or Mahomes is gonna get killed.

There’s no question they could use Pickens. That was never in doubt from me. But a 1 still seems steep.

Reactions: pittbb80
He's a good #2 with a unique skillset. I didn't realize he was already over 1,000 yards this season. After watching Kansas City this season, I think you could probably get their first for him. And I'd do it in a heartbeat. This team needs to commit to a rebuild and culture change.
Kc isn’t that dumb

The problem with that thinking is....if he is such a valuable trade chip because of his talent, why would the Steelers deal him? They are thin at WR and he is still cheap with no leverage to demand more money yet. Teams would have to figure that he has serious issues ( which are widely known by now ).

I doubt that other teams would be lining up to give the store away to the Steelers if they feel the need to unload their problem child onto someone else. A talent that they themselves need. He will get til his rookie deal is done with the hope he straightens out his maturity issues before the Steelers cut bait with him.
I really think you answered your own question. If you didn't, other posts have addressed why it makes sense.

Others have mentioned Claypool as an example where a problem was traded for good value. NFL front offices always value talent over character ... until the character infects the team.

I honestly think a lot of his issues stem from the lack of respect he has for our QB room. If you put him with Mahomes, or some other proven QB, I think he'd tone it down similarly to how Moss did in New England.
All the skill players are completely frustrated that the QB can't get them the ball. The Steelers pass on Danny Marino and Kenny Pickett 40 years later unreal. He is a backup at next.

Fair enough.

I still don’t think anyone’s giving up a 1 for him. 2 years of the rookie contract gone but on the other side he’s a known commodity. But I’d be surprised if that happened.
There will be plenty of WR's in the draft and there isn't a good reason for anyone to do a trade until next summer, at the earliest. The Claypool trade was born out of Chicago's desperation. Unlikely to be duplicated.

I honestly think a lot of his issues stem from the lack of respect he has for our QB room. If you put him with Mahomes, or some other proven QB, I think he'd tone it down similarly to how Moss did in New England.
It's not a lack of respect. The guy wouldn't have been running an inside slant at full speed if he didn't respect the room. It's being ignored to throw three yard passes to RB's when you're stuck running predictable wind sprints all day that take longer to run than your QB will have time to throw. There were a couple of blown plays by Cincy and some really weird throws by Browning that made this game a walkover. Otherwise, the offense was pretty pedestrian.

There will be plenty of WR's in the draft and there isn't a good reason for anyone to do a trade until next summer, at the earliest. The Claypool trade was born out of Chicago's desperation. Unlikely to be duplicated.

He's 18th in the league in receiving, though. Even though I don't think his route tree is developed enough to be a true #1, I have to imagine there is a market for such a proven commodity.

Quentin Johnston, for instance, was taken with the #21 pick this past year, and he has a whopping 385 yards while playing with Justin Herbert (he's out now, but he played most of the season) in a dome.

He's 18th in the league in receiving, though. Even though I don't think his route tree is developed enough to be a true #1, I have to imagine there is a market for such a proven commodity.

Quentin Johnston, for instance, was taken with the #21 pick this past year, and he has a whopping 385 yards while playing with Justin Herbert (he's out now, but he played most of the season) in a dome.
I was merely speaking to the notion that the Steelers aren't going to get a great return. I really doubt Pickens is that big of a problem if the right people were placed around him.

I'll be honest, the PGH media is afraid to address the elephant in the room so they pick on a missed block, here, or a guy quitting on a play, there, or a guy doing a tiktok over there. Are these things bad? Of course, but they're only symptoms of the bigger issue they don't want to address (because it has way too many consequences) which is that the front office and coaching staff are a mess.

Last edited:
If you keep Pickens, then Johnson has to go. Can't have two primadonnas at WR.

Besides, Johnson and Trubisky make a lot of money. Get rid of them and save the cap money.
Pickens over DJ 100 out if 100 times.

It's no coincidence that the biggest offensive game the team has had in years featured Pickens having a huge game. Dude is averaging over 19 yards a catch and gives them the big play threat they haven't had in far too long.

He had the same issues at Georgia this is nothing new. It’s one of the reasons why he fell in the draft

That slant Pickens took to the house looked the a straight game fix. The safety took a worse angle than a SMF hot take. And then I counted at least five times the linebacker could have dove at his feet and made the tackle. Martavis Bryant speed he ain't got.

Only 7 ball carriers this season have run faster than Pickens did on that play.

Last edited:

Only 7 ball carriers this season have run faster than Pickens did on that play.

Yeah, but you understand that "+71 YACOE" means that 71 of the 77 yards after the catch came after he should have been tackled, right? It's not like he made some great move and faked a guy out, or ran a guy over, or something like that that you could reasonably attribute to his play. The play went for 77 yards after the catch precisely because the defenders played it so poorly, not because Pickens did something great on his own.

Yeah, but you understand that "+71 YACOE" means that 71 of the 77 yards after the catch came after he should have been tackled, right? It's not like he made some great move and faked a guy out, or ran a guy over, or something like that that you could reasonably attribute to his play. The play went for 77 yards after the catch precisely because the defenders played it so poorly, not because Pickens did something great on his own.
I'm just responding to the not fast comment by showing it was one of the fastest runs in the NFL this year. About a half mph slower than Tyreek hill

Expecting faster is unrealistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
No, everyone knows it was because of Mason Rudolph.

Not on that one play but when discussing the QB position in PGH, it's very important to only cite singular incidences that bolster an argument and not consider the entire body of work.
I mean his career stats are better too, but yeah I agree.

In the end, the Steelers do not have an NFL starter on the roster and the team is crap so it's all moot.

Pickens is still very young. AB didn't act like a nut until Burfict gave him CTE with one hit. Give the kid sometime before you send him out of town.

lol I mean you're out here taking victory laps over a single game. The dude has been a complete idiot and distraction the entire season. Nobody has ever doubted his ability. Nobody. There's a reason he went in the 2nd round. It's clearly not because of his talent.

if you can keep him engaged and team oriented throughout the year, then yeah, moving him is idiotic .. we had the best receiver through a 6 year span that ever lived and his talent could barely mask the dumb shit behavior on and off the field. WRs don't win you titles.

Also, it only makes sense to trade him on a rookie contract. Someone will 1000% take a big gamble on him on his current deal. Start paying this guy over $20M a year and nobody is touching him.
1,000 yard receiver and leading TD target
On an anemic offense who desperately needs play makers
Sit down

That’s the point. His talent is over rated. Yeah the guy makes a circus catch onc in a while and can’t get open deep now and then but he’s takes tons of plays off and isn’t generally a guy who gets open He’s near the bottom of the league in separation. From DBs

As far as his maturity that was the rap coming out of college guys like that rarely “mature”
He’s by far our leading receiver
Give your balls a tug

lol there's going to be over 30 dudes who have 1000+ yards .. being the de facto #1 on a team almost guarantees that.
Does Mike Evans' production blow anyone else's mind?

But hey, considering Pickens had an anchor around his neck like Kenny Pickett throwing to him most of the season, it's amazing he's even in that neighborhood. No reason Pickens can't add another 500 yards in the next two weeks with Rudolph.

Does Mike Evans' production blow anyone else's mind?

But hey, considering Pickens had an anchor around his neck like Kenny Pickett throwing to him most of the season, it's amazing he's even in that neighborhood. No reason Pickens can't add another 500 yards in the next two weeks with Rudolph.

I will be a billion dollars Mason looks like garbage against Seattle and ends the Steelers season. He's not good. I'll give Pickens his credit for housing a slant .. ball was actually thrown high.

Steelers fans riding this wave are about to see their season end with a 3rd string QB and I can't wait for it.

I will be a billion dollars Mason looks like garbage against Seattle and ends the Steelers season. He's not good. I'll give Pickens his credit for housing a slant .. ball was actually thrown high.

Steelers fans riding this wave are about to see their season end with a 3rd string QB and I can't wait for it.
I had to laugh, first thing I saw on X this morning was a drill with the three QB's with the premise that Rudolph is the best QB on the roster because he ran that one rep better than everyone else, LOL. I'm enjoying all of the hyperbole. Rudolph has turned into a lose/lose proposition for the Steelers because if he fails the next two weeks, well, the team will fail and he's probably permanently unemployed. If he succeeds, he may have the ability to sign somewhere else for more money.

I had to laugh, first thing I saw on X this morning was a drill with the three QB's with the premise that Rudolph is the best QB on the roster because he ran that one rep better than everyone else, LOL. I'm enjoying all of the hyperbole. Rudolph has turned into a lose/lose proposition for the Steelers because if he fails the next two weeks, well, the team will fail and he's probably permanently unemployed. If he succeeds, he may have the ability to sign somewhere else for more money.

I just think it's crazy they're playing him over Pickett. He was elected 3rd on the depth chart for a reason .. KP, albeit didn't have good numbers, had this team firmly in the division race heading into two easy games before getting hurt. Credit to Rudolph for stepping up and doing his job, unlike Mitch, but the fact he's holding the starting gig after one performance is nonsense. Playing Kenny is the easiest decision Tomlin could've made .. sure, the fans would be mad .. who cares. He's their best shot at winning.

I just think it's crazy they're playing him over Pickett. He was elected 3rd on the depth chart for a reason .. KP, albeit didn't have good numbers, had this team firmly in the division race heading into two easy games before getting hurt. Credit to Rudolph for stepping up and doing his job, unlike Mitch, but the fact he's holding the starting gig after one performance is nonsense. Playing Kenny is the easiest decision Tomlin could've made .. sure, the fans would be mad .. who cares. He's their best shot at winning.
I don't think it matters. Seattle gets after the QB and the Steeler OL is going to be in over its head.

Nah. I like Rudy. He seems like a good dude and he’s earned a second start.

Having said that I have no delusions like some that Rudy was some hidden gen that mediocre Mike IGNORED and screwed over
I’ll be shocked if Rudy and the offense repeats last weeks performance.

I think it’s best for KP to sit the rest of the games out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT