ADVERTISEMENT

Barnes: PSU a priority, WVU important

I would rather play a nice Pac 10 team! Give me Stanford, USC or UCLA. Playing a game in the middle of nowhere is uninspiring.

Obviously. I stopped writing the above post and did not realize that it would post when I exited the site. Sorry

To continue with my thought. My father was for many years in the 50s and 60s the faculty representative to the PSU football team, plus Rip Engle was our next door neighbor. I would often over hear Rip and Dad talking and I distinctly remember a conversation they had about always playing in Pittsburgh. Neither of them were at all happy about it, but had to live with it because Pitt was the dominant school. The choice was play in Pittsburgh or don't play at all. Over the last 40 years or so the dominance has changed both on the field and in the market place. My guess is that the memory of what Pitt did when it had the upper hand drives many PSUers to take the 2-1 position. Personally, I would rather have home and home then no game, but there is a history to how we got to where we are.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I agree with the sentiment of some Pitt fans (probably a minority) that Pitt should not add any more games against Penn State. Once they show better behavior, then we should consider it.

After this current series we may never see Penn State play us again. With the B1G going to 9 games they'll be busy paying the sisters so they can maxize their home games per year. Then there is that budding instate rivalry they have with Temple. Other than games already on the schedule I doubt we see Penn State leave the friendly confines of their stadium in the middle of cow fields and pig farms very often after 2017.

After this current series we may never see Penn State play us again. With the B1G going to 9 games they'll be busy paying the sisters so they can maxize their home games per year. Then there is that budding instate rivalry they have with Temple. Other than games already on the schedule I doubt we see Penn State leave the friendly confines of their stadium in the middle of cow fields and pig farms very often after 2017.

I'm sure Larimer Ave is beautiful this time of year! LOL!!!

Obviously. I stopped writing the above post and did not realize that it would post when I exited the site. Sorry To continue with my thought. My father was for many years in the 50s and 60s the faculty representative to the PSU football team, plus Rip Engle was our next door neighbor. I would often over hear Rip and Dad talking and I distinctly remember a conversation they had about always playing in Pittsburgh. Neither of them were at all happy about it, but had to live with it because Pitt was the dominant school. The choice was play in Pittsburgh or don't play at all. Over the last 40 years or so the dominance has changed both on the field and in the market place. My guess is that the memory of what Pitt did when it had the upper hand drives many PSUers to take the 2-1 position. Personally, I would rather have home and home then no game, but there is a history to how we got to where we are.
One has to know the reason why they played at Pitt for 25 years straight. it was due to the difficulty in going to Penn State way back before major Highways take you now! The Major Media covered the game more easily that way and Penn State agreed. Even the Steelers were playing at Pitt Stadium!

One thing of note that few knew, every other year PITT gave all Revenues from that game to Penn State as if it was a Penn State Home Game.

The problem with most college football fans today is that they believe the game was invented in 1985. High school football in western pa from 1920s until the late 1970s was second to none (the number of recruits was essentially equal to the entire state of Texas). Therefore, many big name college teams sought out to schedule Pitt. Go look at Pitt schedules from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Each season Pitt had home and home series with multiple big time programs-- UCLA, USC, Baylor, ND, Miami , etc. These teams came to Pittsburgh to get exposure to western Pa high school football players. Psu did the same thing. Rip Engle and jo pa would use the annual Nov game as a recruiting trip (they would invite and pay for 100s of high school players to attend the game and arrange for a dinner following the game. Psu deliberately scheduled the game in Pittsburgh because it was in its best interest. Pitt was very generous in allowing Psu to retain all the revenues from the game every other year (this is one example of Pitt helping its little brother at the time and psu later would never reciprocate) Once jo pa had success psu changed the series to a home and home. Jo pa's later claim that the disproportionate number of games played in Pittsburgh is further evidence of his hypocrisy (which, as we all now know, ultimately led him to believe he could cover up a child sex scandal).

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Our #1 priority should be to win the ACC.

When we win the ACC our #1 priority should be to get to a BCS game.

When we get to a BCS game our #1 priority should be to win it and then the # 1 priority should be to win the National Championship.

Yeah...but that becomes more likely with cash. No game will generate more Alumni interest and ticket sales than PSU. If we beat them...we get donations. If we lose...we get donations. And as hard as it is for the Nits to admit it. The game would do the same for them. They just don't need the cash as much as Pitt.

What is the current Cult Tithe at this time?

Yeah...but that becomes more likely with cash. No game will generate more Alumni interest and ticket sales than PSU. If we beat them...we get donations. If we lose...we get donations. And as hard as it is for the Nits to admit it. The game would do the same for them. They just don't need the cash as much as Pitt.

Depends how much Pitt is willing to do 2-2 or 1-1's in the future. In the recent past they would turn those down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT