ADVERTISEMENT

Joey. “ toast” Porter

How about 1a and 1b for a season until muth moves on due to concussion or FA? They are going to be on the field together a lot this year.

Muth is a good player but he drops balls and misses blocks. He’s not entrenched as a locked in #1.
Yeah, I’m excited to see how they incorporate both into the offense. Kansas City will sometimes have Kelce lined up as a slot receiver while having another tight end bunched up to the line of scrimmage. Could have a similar package in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
NFL teams are notorious copycats: with so much video available, everyone copies schemes and plays from everyone else. Case in point: I’ve been seeing more teams than ever using “sweep variations”, which I attribute to their seeing the Steelers do it.

But having said that, I wish that Canada would copy some of the more successful schemes of other teams. I notice that the Steelers receivers are rarely as open as other teams’ receivers are - and no, I’m not buying the explanation that “the Steelers’ receivers just aren’t good enough”.

Two things on Junior. If they drafted him as a safety then that pick was a reach. I don't think they did but I thought it was interesting to hear. Second, what's the over/under on how long before Senior throws hands with a drunk Yinzer for yelling at his kid?

Two things on Junior. If they drafted him as a safety then that pick was a reach. I don't think they did but I thought it was interesting to hear. Second, what's the over/under on how long before Senior throws hands with a drunk Yinzer for yelling at his kid?
porter Sr in the south side at a bar after the game, fighting some duquesne frat kid on carson street who said his son sucks cause he gave up a deep ball to lose the game lol. i think the odds are pretty good

It’s funny, but unfortunately it’s highly possible.

Reactions: pittdan77
watt was a waste, heyward is battling with gentry to even be on the team. i doubt we keep 4 TEs, even with Canada's abortion of an offense.

to think we didnt do Watt a favor by signing his brother, ditto with heyward, you are blind..
So you’ve moved off the goal since I pointed out that there is literally no real salary difference

He played in all 17 games

It’s pretty clear you don’t understand how special teams works

So you’ve moved off the goal since I pointed out that there is literally no real salary difference

He played in all 17 games

It’s pretty clear you don’t understand how special teams works
he was an over paid waste of a roster spot. you dont take a 4.7m cap hit on a guy to play special teams.. you are wrong, everyone knows it. watt was given a job for a favor to his brother. it's not even up for debate..

with heyward, we got a really talented guy in the draft so now they'll move heyward to running back/full back even though he cant block or run.. but canada will draw up some package for him so he can have another 12 reception season for 150 yards, maybe..

I agree, he is only ok so far (at risk of scorn from closet Nit fans here I’ll suggest there is overrating of Muth among fans and media and even internally due to the college he’s from). He could get better of course, but his body type is what it is and it’s not as formidable as the A list TEs. He’s adequate, he’d have been fine in an earlier era where the TE was an afterthought, but in this era where a premier TE might get to host SNL, Muth is not a difference maker. Wash if he is healthy and coachable, should easily eclipse him in time.
Pickett is a big variable here though. He and Muth seem tight. He doesn’t have obvious synergy with any of the other receivers (probably because most of those receivers stink). For frightening stretches in games last year, Muth was the only guy Pickett seemed able to make a completion to.

So they might not be willing to hurt his only consistent connection by easing Muth out of the primary role. The Steelers are not exactly risk takers. This is where Washington has to make it nearly impossible in practice and preseason for them to ignore.
I'm sot saying Muth is great but to say he doesn't have thesamee body type of the A list tight ends is silly

Travis Kelce 6'5" 250 lbs 4.61 forty
Muth 6'5' 258 lbs 4.70 forty
Mark Andrews 6'5" 247 lbs 4.58 forty

His size looks pretty good compared to these guys and maybe a step slower but i'd say a better blocker than those two

I said he was a steal at #32 because almost every credible draftnik had a 1st round grade on him. The Steelers got fortunate that other teams needs pushed him down the board. All you have to do is read the thread to see how some folks have a weird anti-PSU hatred that is beyond the pale.

Take it for what's is worth. PFF has 🥑 Toast as the following:

Overall Grade- t-149th

CB Coverage grade - 88th

He's a big question mark because pedst played against such piss-poor passing offenses.

Reactions: DanMarinoFan1970
Take it for what's is worth. PFF has 🥑 Toast as the following:

Overall Grade- t-149th

CB Coverage grade - 88th

He's a big question mark because pedst played against such piss-poor passing offenses.
I don't really know what to make of PFF grades because of their methodology but it's that last sentence that mirrors what I've been thinking for quite a while. That said, I really hope he's what they think he is.

I don't really know what to make of PFF grades because of their methodology but it's that last sentence that mirrors what I've been thinking for quite a while. That said, I really hope he's what they think he is.
Funny story about PFF and grading and stats. They often list PITT as one of the highest blitz teams in America. When you see the actual PITT grades, they're drastically lower. I hardly trust anything they put out.

Funny story about PFF and grading and stats. They often list PITT as one of the highest blitz teams in America. When you see the actual PITT grades, they're drastically lower. I hardly trust anything they put out.
I really only ever read their methodology on OL since I was trying to figure out how they were evaluating Carter Warren in 2021. Nothing against him but I couldn't see how a guy who was perpetually getting beat to his outside and holding on for dear life was scoring so high in a pro evaluation of actual game play. He seems to have worked on that problem and was looking a lot better before he went down. I think that made a big difference in what the pro teams actually looked at but I have to question the quality control they're using to evaluate their evaluators.

I never watched PSU but its said that no one threw his way. While that is a great sign (for the Steelers) that he is really good, its also a negative. He didnt defend many passes and most of the B10 has mid-major level offenses. If he isnt playing Michigan or OSU, he may as well have been playing Old Dominion every week.

I never watched PSU but its said that no one threw his way. While that is a great sign (for the Steelers) that he is really good, its also a negative. He didnt defend many passes and most of the B10 has mid-major level offenses. If he isnt playing Michigan or OSU, he may as well have been playing Old Dominion every week.
6 Big 10 teams had better passing offenses than Michigan last year and Penn State actually led the nation in passes defended in 2022.

6 Big 10 teams had better passing offenses than Michigan last year and Penn State actually led the nation in passes defended in 2022.

And those 6 teams were playing JV teams. Who were they Maryland? Illinois? Rutgers? LMAO

The Big Ten sucks ass

Purdue and tO$U were the only above average passing offenses pedst played last year. It's much easier to "defend" passes when all of the quarterbacks and WR you face are subpar.

Reactions: Parkview57
I’d like to point out a couple of things. First, Muth has had a better start to his career than most of the guys posters in this thread are calling elite. Not saying he’ll continue that trend, but look for yourselves.

Second, Hayward didn’t really play on offense until halfway through the season. And he wasn’t that far off of Gentry statistically. Fewer catches (12-19) but more yards (151-132). I’d say he did just fine for a late round pick - guys who are usually on the practice squad.

Reactions: Parkview57
If daddy wasn't a Steeler, he would be here.
I disagree. I could’ve gotten this argument had we drafted him in the first round, but we were always going to draft a first round talent in the second round at a position of need, no matter where he was from.

I disagree. I could’ve gotten this argument had we drafted him in the first round, but we were always going to draft a first round talent in the second round at a position of need, no matter where he was from.
It's a little of both. Porter had pretty much a consensus first-round grade with just a few outliers. However, the Steelers also like guys with NFL bloodlines. Tomlin explained this after the draft and why they end up with so many siblings (the Herbigs this year). The only guys I liked at this spot were Mayer and Branch. The problem is tight end and safety aren't particularly valuable compared to a cornerback, so I understand going with Porter.

It's a little of both. Porter had pretty much a consensus first-round grade with just a few outliers. However, the Steelers also like guys with NFL bloodlines. Tomlin explained this after the draft and why they end up with so many siblings (the Herbigs this year). The only guys I liked at this spot were Mayer and Branch. The problem is tight end and safety aren't particularly valuable compared to a cornerback, so I understand going with Porter.
That’s a good point. I interpreted Mary’s post as “if her father played for another team” instead of “if her father wasn’t an NFL player,” which was why I responded the way I did.

Reactions: Burgh15
You sound like a bunch Of Nitters rooting against Pickett. We are not those slapdicks. That being said I will not be buying his jersey.
Why would you want another man's name on your back? Especially a 23 year old. I have always found the jersey thing extremely odd

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
This draft is going to end up being an all time great one, I think. Not saying there are any hall of famers, but lot of good players who could start for many years.

They are killing it.

Said by every team in every city during camp...

Porter was a steal at #32. It's just weird that some people are so consumed by PSU. It made sense in the 1970's and early 1980's but that ship has long sailed.
They throw the same shade back about Pickett. PSU and PITT will always be a rival because of geography. Both schools can say and do as they want but it will never change the dislike both fans have for the opposite team.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
he was an over paid waste of a roster spot. you dont take a 4.7m cap hit on a guy to play special teams.. you are wrong, everyone knows it. watt was given a job for a favor to his brother. it's not even up for debate..

with heyward, we got a really talented guy in the draft so now they'll move heyward to running back/full back even though he cant block or run.. but canada will draw up some package for him so he can have another 12 reception season for 150 yards, maybe..
There was no 4.7 mil cap hit
I’ve already did this math for you , HR
He was a free agent - there is no favor
Hence why he’s also a free agent this season

Your logic is flawed

There was no 4.7 mil cap hit
I’ve already did this math for you , HR
He was a free agent - there is no favor
Hence why he’s also a free agent this season

Your logic is flawed
Derrick Watt was paid 2.7m last year, he was a 4.7m cap hit, 1.9m of it was dead cap space. this isnt a debate.. he signed a 3 year deal that included '20, '21 and '22. He was not a free agent last year.

you are wrong, just like you told us all that Kendrick Greene was a good pick (Lol, that aged well)...

move on, you lost this one.. maybe this latch ditch effort of kendrick green as our backup fullback can save his career and you can count that as a win

Last edited:
Sounds like he is doing well, and will likely start game #1, if you spend anytime on DK's site.

Kid's a Steeler now. Steeler fans rooting for him to fail is dumb. If any PSU fans were rooting for Kenny to fail, that's dumb, too. No reason to cut off your nose to spite your face.
It's like the Penn State transfers Pitt is picking up as well. He's on our team now, you hope they do well.

I really only ever read their methodology on OL since I was trying to figure out how they were evaluating Carter Warren in 2021. Nothing against him but I couldn't see how a guy who was perpetually getting beat to his outside and holding on for dear life was scoring so high in a pro evaluation of actual game play. He seems to have worked on that problem and was looking a lot better before he went down. I think that made a big difference in what the pro teams actually looked at but I have to question the quality control they're using to evaluate their evaluators.

Yeah PFF being a black-box makes me extremely suspect of them. I'll usually give them the benefit of the doubt as long as their proprietary grade is somewhat close to the on-field play. But they lose me when they have a dude who I've never heard of and who never gets any $ in free agency be their top graded CB, for example.

Yeah PFF being a black-box makes me extremely suspect of them. I'll usually give them the benefit of the doubt as long as their proprietary grade is somewhat close to the on-field play. But they lose me when they have a dude who I've never heard of and who never gets any $ in free agency be their top graded CB, for example.
They use a lot of people to do evaluations and it's all very subjective.

I check into steeler camp updates occasionally but not a typical yinzer so someone can correct me. But I believe Peezy Jr has picked off Kenny a few times in camp. And when he does you can spot the Nitters in the Pittsburgh media running to the bathroom for reasons I don’t even want think about.

• Haha
Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT