ADVERTISEMENT

Joey. “ toast” Porter

Deion Sanders was one of the softest DBs ever and he's in the Hall of Fame. Porter isn't anywhere near his level, but if he won't stick his nose in there to stop the run, who cares? They drafted him to shut down opponents No. 1 receivers.
I'm no Deion Sanders guy but, he did register over 500 tackles, 254 solo, in his NFL career.

I also have a friend who was a walk-on at FSU and had to go against Deion every day in practice and he said he never ever caught a ball, never.

That's an embarrassing looking rep for a 32nd pick.
Looks like his tackling form is all wrong. He drops his head and leads with the crown of his helmet. Terrible. And dangerous. Crazy that in this day and age a player can come into the league and not have been taught proper tackling form. Not sure if this is a PSU coaching issue or not, but it certainly reflects poorly on their staff.

Broderick Jones apparently cant beat out Dan Moore and JPJ cant tackle me in an open field, not a great first report from our first 2 draft picks. going 0-2 would be a bad look. especially considering we traded up for JOnes..

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Broderick Jones apparently cant beat out Dan Moore and JPJ cant tackle me in an open field, not a great first report from our first 2 draft picks. going 0-2 would be a bad look. especially considering we traded up for JOnes..
Dan Moore isn't a bad player. Just inconsistent. Perhaps he has improved in that area? I always thought the plan would be for Jones to start the season on the bench, then eventually come in to either replace Chuks or have Moore move over to RT to replace Chuks. But Moore seemed to be in the plan. So there must be something good there. So I don't believe this is a reflection on Jones just yet. More of a reflection on Chuks and Moore.

The Peezy thing is certainly concerning. Seems that the pre-draft weaknesses are really getting exposed right now. But the talent is there. The staff needs to coach him up and he needs to be willing to accept being coached up.

Dan Moore isn't a bad player. Just inconsistent. Perhaps he has improved in that area? I always thought the plan would be for Jones to start the season on the bench, then eventually come in to either replace Chuks or have Moore move over to RT to replace Chuks. But Moore seemed to be in the plan. So there must be something good there. So I don't believe this is a reflection on Jones just yet. More of a reflection on Chuks and Moore.

The Peezy thing is certainly concerning. Seems that the pre-draft weaknesses are really getting exposed right now. But the talent is there. The staff needs to coach him up and he needs to be willing to accept being coached up.
many reports from steelers camp that he looks awful at RT. plus, i dont think you trade up to draft a swing tackle for the future..

but i'll step back from the ledge, we arent even at the 2nd preseason game yet, way too early to use the "bust" word.

Dan Moore’s foot work and whether he was athletic enough to handle skilled pass rushers was the biggest question mark. Hopefully it’s a case of him working his butt off and improving rather than Jones being underwhelming.

Looks like his tackling form is all wrong. He drops his head and leads with the crown of his helmet. Terrible. And dangerous. Crazy that in this day and age a player can come into the league and not have been taught proper tackling form. Not sure if this is a PSU coaching issue or not, but it certainly reflects poorly on their staff.
It's weird that he doesn't have quick enough feet to break down and react.

Dan Moore’s foot work and whether he was athletic enough to handle skilled pass rushers was the biggest question mark. Hopefully it’s a case of him working his butt off and improving rather than Jones being underwhelming.
You'd think that a guy that played over 35 games at tackle in the SEC and was a finalist for the Joe Moore award, would have been a little better than this.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I'm disappointed when local players don't want to play for Pitt and go elsewhere.....
I hate everything that is Penn State.....
If he were drafted by any other team but the Steelers, I wouldn't care if he became a success or a failure....

But Porter IS a Steeler now and I'm rooting for him to be great....
If he is great, it only helps Pickett to be great. If we want Pickett to succeed, we need everyone the Steelers draft and sign to be great.

Reactions: GregInPitt
many reports from steelers camp that he looks awful at RT. plus, i dont think you trade up to draft a swing tackle for the future..

but i'll step back from the ledge, we arent even at the 2nd preseason game yet, way too early to use the "bust" word.
I'm not saying he is a swing tackle. I still expect him to be the LT of the future. Just saying that this season he could get his feet wet at RT as opposed to LT as he develops.

I'm not saying he is a swing tackle. I still expect him to be the LT of the future. Just saying that this season he could get his feet wet at RT as opposed to LT as he develops.
just an odd pick to trade up on if you didnt need immediate help. could have gotten immediate help at WR or CB or an Edge Rusher instead of trading up to draft a tackle that you dont plan on playing this year..

just an odd pick to trade up on if you didnt need immediate help. could have gotten immediate help at WR or CB or an Edge Rusher instead of trading up to draft a tackle that you dont plan on playing this year..
You don’t think they needed immediate help at OL? Their line stunk last year.

May not be working out that way at the moment but no matter what they said previously they were hoping he be good enough to start day 1.

The way to think about Porter and all the others like him is that a business decision was made for his school choice, it’s basically their audition for the NFL. It’s ok (if not outright mandatory) to root for them to suck when they are at PSU, and even ok to enjoy when they suck in the NFL for other teams, but for those that end up with the Steelers, you have grit your teeth and to root for them to do well.

There are fanatical exceptions from their player ranks here and there (that Malti or whatever guy they recently had, and of course Franco with the Paterno Cutout etc) that are forever in denial. But by and large the players aren’t the issue there, it’s the cultish booster level fans, secretive admins, and their media butt-buddies (like Ron Cook) that enable horrible things like the Sandusky Rapes to happen and get covered up. Yes in that case, enabled and covered up for an awe-inspiring 3 decades…awful, but by this time, players going there don’t know that ever even happened (guys like Cook, Jerry Micco, Smizik, the other Pgh media toadies certainly make sure of that too with their silence on that case).

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Going 0 for 2 and we aren't even to the regular season yet? My goodness this is a bad take.

Jones wasn't a lock to start and while he may have the highest upside of any tackle in the draft, he was also the most raw of the top prospects and was going to need time to develop. Moore is in his third year and that's when the light clicks for a lot of young players. Also, we've seen some of the top tackles in the league allow 10+ sacks in their rookie year.

JPJ is going to see a ton of playing time this year and will probably start before the end of the season. Weird to make this assumption of him based on a drill. Neither Jones or Porter have to start in their first year and they may struggle a ton. I'm assuming you called Pickett a bust after his first year as well, maybe even after his first training camp INT.

Tomlin has a pretty stupid history of how he handles rookies sometimes. He inexplicably threw Kendrick Green to the wolves at a position he didn't really have much experience at but buried KP on the depth chart in camp so he didn't get meaningful reps with the starters. So who really knows.

Going 0 for 2 and we aren't even to the regular season yet? My goodness this is a bad take.

Jones wasn't a lock to start and while he may have the highest upside of any tackle in the draft, he was also the most raw of the top prospects and was going to need time to develop. Moore is in his third year and that's when the light clicks for a lot of young players. Also, we've seen some of the top tackles in the league allow 10+ sacks in their rookie year.

JPJ is going to see a ton of playing time this year and will probably start before the end of the season. Weird to make this assumption of him based on a drill. Neither Jones or Porter have to start in their first year and they may struggle a ton. I'm assuming you called Pickett a bust after his first year as well, maybe even after his first training camp INT.
so you and i are saying the same thing. If they had/have this faith in Moore getting it, having the "light click" then there was no reason to trade up and draft a tackle this year.. Chuks and Moore are both signed thru this year and in 2024..

they acted desperate for a position that (apparently) dont need. If this was a better roster then great, draft for the future but with as many holes as we have, it seems like a bad pick. Many reports that he is a fish out of water at right tackle so he's gonna back up Moore for this year and next? Again, if he's not starting on this team by at least week 5-6, with Moore being adequate at best, it's a bad pick.

like i said 56 times in this thread, we drafted Porter Jr to cover, not whiff on open field tackles. and yes, he will be starting sooner than later, he pretty much has too as the options are limited. everyone knew and even psu die hard fans admitted that he is a huge liability with his physical play but if he can cover, then that's a liability you live with.

a nepotism homer, yinzer pick by tomlin no doubt but that's water under the bridge..

so you and i are saying the same thing. If they had/have this faith in Moore getting it, having the "light click" then there was no reason to trade up and draft a tackle this year.. Chuks and Moore are both signed thru this year and in 2024..

they acted desperate for a position that (apparently) dont need. If this was a better roster then great, draft for the future but with as many holes as we have, it seems like a bad pick. Many reports that he is a fish out of water at right tackle so he's gonna back up Moore for this year and next? Again, if he's not starting on this team by at least week 5-6, with Moore being adequate at best, it's a bad pick.

like i said 56 times in this thread, we drafted Porter Jr to cover, not whiff on open field tackles. and yes, he will be starting sooner than later, he pretty much has too as the options are limited. everyone knew and even psu die hard fans admitted that he is a huge liability with his physical play but if he can cover, then that's a liability you live with.

a nepotism homer, yinzer pick by tomlin no doubt but that's water under the bridge..
We aren't saying the same thing at all. Dan Moore can be decent and start this year, but the long-term project is Jones has the potential to be an upper tier LT in the NFL. Moore will kick to the right side and they'll move on from Chuks next year to save cap space. Maybe Jones makes a late push and wins the starting job. Basically saying Jones is a bust because if he doesn't start week 1 is just dumb.

Reactions: GregInPitt
We aren't saying the same thing at all. Dan Moore can be decent and start this year, but the long-term project is Jones has the potential to be an upper tier LT in the NFL. Moore will kick to the right side and they'll move on from Chuks next year to save cap space. Maybe Jones makes a late push and wins the starting job. Basically saying Jones is a bust because if he doesn't start week 1 is just dumb.
ok, so if Dan Moore can be decent and then next year, move him over and boot Chuks, we should have used the draft pick for another spot and gotten our Franchise left tackle in next year's draft..

That's my point. No one is calling him a bust. im saying, if the plan wasnt for him to start this year, why trade up and get him if he's gonna be on the bench all year. We could have used that draft pick for a more immediate need and gotten our future LT in next years draft..

We just dont have the luxury now to waste a high first rd pick on a player that we arent intending on playing for a year.

ok, so if Dan Moore can be decent and then next year, move him over and boot Chuks, we should have used the draft pick for another spot and gotten our Franchise left tackle in next year's draft..

That's my point. No one is calling him a bust. im saying, if the plan wasnt for him to start this year, why trade up and get him if he's gonna be on the bench all year. We could have used that draft pick for a more immediate need and gotten our future LT in next years draft..

We just dont have the luxury now to waste a high first rd pick on a player that we arent intending on playing for a year.
I don’t know if he is or isn’t one but the time to draft a franchise tackle is exactly when you have the opportunity to do so. I don’t know what next year’s class holds but they’re very valuable so you take one when you can.

I don’t think this team is on the precipice of anything and it’s only Pickett’s second year. If it takes a year for him to develop it’s fine.

Heard a media guy from Buffalo either on the NFL network or ESPN and he was asked about the Steelers. He said he respected the ‘stability’ of the org and that Tomlin is so admired around the league (he actually backed that by saying Tomlin regularly puts up 8 and 9 win seasons…!!!). But in discussing the actual facts about the team … he hedged on Pickett, saying he did a nice job at the end of last season…BUT … he Is up against a stack deck at QB in the AFC, heck in his own division and that since the position means next to everything, well …

He added that many of the other teams simply have better offensive playmakers at most all positions (oddly unlike local media he didn’t consider Najee an ‘elite’ back), that the WR have potential but are too inconsistent, that Washington can hopefully be a big factor at TE (nothing about Muth). That it was admirable they addressed the OL but it is still in question. As for the defense (while first praising guys like TJ, Cam and Fitz) he said that it simply isn’t a difference maker defense, and with the questions with the offense, it needs to be. It was sobering… because it was all true.

Last edited:

You get one when you have the chance and by saying the Steelers went 0 for 2, you are straight up calling the players they drafted busts.

Jones played more plays in the first preseason game than anyone on offense, and he is getting as many or more reps in practice than any of the other olinemen. How is that "riding the pine" as was described? The Steelers are giving Jones the seasoning and coaching he needs and I can't see why not committing to Jones being an instant starter at LT would upset any knowledgeable Steeler fan. Let him get comfortable and confident and ease him into the lineup - seems to be what successful teams do with young talent at the most critical position on the oline.

Kid's going to be OK for us. He's playing more snaps and probably will be starting sooner rather than later. Of course, the players ahead of him truly suck.
yeah, peterson looks slow and old, cant keep up with WRs and even the ravens TE.. They obviously had faith in Porter to draft him high, time to sink or swim with him.

Reactions: caleco's
Kid's going to be OK for us. He's playing more snaps and probably will be starting sooner rather than later. Of course, the players ahead of him truly suck.

Got to give him credit for capitalizing on Jackson awful pass. He needs to play well because there isn't anything of quality ahead of him.

yeah, peterson looks slow and old, cant keep up with WRs and even the ravens TE.. They obviously had faith in Porter to draft him high, time to sink or swim with him.
I don't mind them bringing him and Jones along slowly, but it's time now. They are both looking better and better each game. In fact, the entire draft class looks strong. Now to start stacking them. They've had bad results with Najee and Bush, wasted first round picks. That needs to change.

I don't mind them bringing him and Jones along slowly, but it's time now. They are both looking better and better each game. In fact, the entire draft class looks strong. Now to start stacking them. They've had bad results with Najee and Bush, wasted first round picks. That needs to change.
jaylen is finally "AMOST" getting as many carries as Naj, not quite but he's at about 40%. throw in his receptions where he's soo much better than Naj and i expect them to be at 50/50 with touches in the second half..

it's amazing how much quicker he looks than najee..

The results are definitely there. That interception yesterday was more on the QB, but he's made plays beyond that one.

He seems like someone I would want shadowing another team's 6'4" guy. Like put him on Tee Higgins and call it a day. But I don't think I want him trying to blanket a shifty 5'10" guy. All in all, our cornerback situation is not good. Ravens could have easily dropped 35 yesterday. Instead, they dropped 35.

jaylen is finally "AMOST" getting as many carries as Naj, not quite but he's at about 40%. throw in his receptions where he's soo much better than Naj and i expect them to be at 50/50 with touches in the second half..

it's amazing how much quicker he looks than najee..
I know, right? It's just night and day speed difference to the naked eye.

Najee was an absolute beast in college, but clearly he was as much a product of the Bama system as anything else.

I know, right? It's just night and day speed difference to the naked eye.

Najee was an absolute beast in college, but clearly he was as much a product of the Bama system as anything else.
it's amazing how good these college rbs look behind dominant lines. I remember trent richardson his sr year at bama, guy looked unstoppable and i think the browns drafted him and thinking he's gonna kill us. obviously a different story when playing behind the browns Ol than Bamas.

Najee was also big enough to bully college players physically. Not happening in the NFL. Everybody is just as big and strong as he is.

it's amazing how good these college rbs look behind dominant lines. I remember trent richardson his sr year at bama, guy looked unstoppable and i think the browns drafted him and thinking he's gonna kill us. obviously a different story when playing behind the browns Ol than Bamas.

Mac Jones and Najee Harris are to college as guys like Cadin Olsen and Zane Dudek are to high school.

i like Naj starting the game and doing his slow, stutter step nonsense for a few runs and then bringing in Warren. Screws up the defense's timing a bit and makes Warren faster than he is..

on 3rd and short, Jaylen has to be the guy who gets it. Better in short distance, quicker, also better pass blocker and we all know he's a bigger threat catching it out of the backfield..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT