ADVERTISEMENT

Names that have been thrown out so far for OC

van pelt has no shot. does he even have a degree? college experience? very little OC experience. if he didn't go to pitt his name wouldn't even be close to a mention.

Reactions: BannedMember7F
while were waiting.......

when the name is announced, if its not enos or napier i hope we're not thinking, we would have either napier or enos over the actual guy.

Briles is the latest rumor.

Where. In the Briles household?

Might be a nice complement for the Joe knew tshirts

636140458814952724-ap-tcu-baylor-football-86495464.jpg

Posted by: Chris Vannini on Thursday January 12, 2017
Arkansas: Former UConn head coach Bob Diaco has interviewed for the Arkansas defensive coordinator job, according to Bart Pohlman, who adds that offensive coordinator Dan Enos is expected to remain on staff after interest from other teams.
http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Arkansas: Dan Enos is expected to remain at Arkansas reports Bart Pohlman “despite interest from college & NFL teams”. Sources tell FootballScoop Enos had no offers from college teams; but the Ravens were considering him for an assistant position. Pohlman adds that Bob Diaco is one of the candidates for DC adding that he has interviewed with his friend Bret Bielema

Out of all the names discussed in this thread the only one who even begins to make me feel comfortable is Alex Van Pelt. He's a Pitt guy who I think would just be a solid hire. I can't say I know a lot about him in terms of style of offense but if his name is being thrown around I doubt it's because he runs the spread haha.
No degree...no job

Reactions: BannedMember7F
Now some people are saying we might have to wait till next week at the end of next week at the earliest

WTF are u smoking? He had 2 very good coordinators when he was there the first time and did not win much.

Easy there big fella.

Not smoking anything. Didn't say this ensures UConn goes back to a NY6 bowl. But let's face it, BC and Rutty suck and have for awhile, so getting Auburn guy is a power move that will help recruiting. If college football has any chance of growing in the Northeast, a decent UConn is important. Lots of TVs and devices between NYC and Boston, and none of them are BC or Rutty fans.

As to "he didn't win much", Edsall led one of the most successful transitions to D1 in college history. He went 66-46 (.589) in D1 at UConn, which isn't much worse than Wanny's 73-42 (.635). Five bowls in 7 years in BE, including a BCS (should've been six, they didn't bowl during the 9-3 season as an indie). He got 25 kids into the NFL (and UConn doesn't recruit 4*s). Most important, unlike Diaco, he's an adult.

I don't think you need to be reminded he had a winning record vs. Pitt (and Cuse).

I live in Pittsburgh and am a Panthers season ticket holder. But UConn will always be my #1. The situation sucks, but we're making lemonade out of G5 lemons.

Reactions: Jpripper88
while were waiting.........

PC is on the verge of losing his DC to Cal. who makes their hire first, us or PC?

Briles couldn't even get dirty ass Auburn to answer the phone. I forget who I was listening to on the radio...but Briles is done in college. He needs to go to the NFL and rebuild himself.

Cristobal joins Oregon as the OC. they got a really good recruiter. Not many OC's to feel now, Tenn guy left about 10 days ago, so they need one.

personally, i think taggert is going to do well there.

Three things I believe Narduzzi is after

1. Actual OC experience(as much as possible). I base that on first two hires

2. QB type guy

3. Recruiter

I think you're right. Someone he might consider talking to about it is Walt Harris.

1. His Pro Style offenses were always pretty potent, and I think what Pitt has coming back would be a good foundation for the offensive schemes he runs.

2. He was known as a guy that developed QB talent, despite his missing the boat on Flacco (although Palko was no slacker). He worked with some good ones over the years.

3. He was a respectable recruiter (especially on the O side) having brought-in Larry Fitz, Antonio Bryant, Flacco, et al. Could nicely complement Narduzzi's strengths on the D side.

Downside I see on Walt is he's getting a little long in the tooth. This may not actually be a con as I think he'd be less likely to be looking to job-hop. Also, he (via his agent) had a bad falling-out with Pitt, although that was the previous administration. Walt may be interested in mending fences at a reasonable price and the new admin doesn't have any obligations to the old admin.

Who knows?...never hurts to pick-up the phone and talk.

very unlikely. narduzzi has made two OC hires, both with significance experience. Getsy does not bring that pedigree. If he wants to be in college and a OC, he needs to start at a lower level and pay his dues, proving his worth.

Maybe it is Luke Getsy

now, if narduzzi is getting some "no thanks" and that is why its taking this long, he may have take a few more chances on the hire. with that said, i still don't believe it will be Getsy.

Cristobal joins Oregon as the OC. they got a really good recruiter. Not many OC's to feel now, Tenn guy left about 10 days ago, so they need one.

personally, i think taggert is going to do well there.
Oregon weather passed muster with his wife? :)

Don't worry i never bought that BS either....

Reactions: PittFathead87
I think you're right. Someone he might consider talking to about it is Walt Harris.

1. His Pro Style offenses were always pretty potent, and I think what Pitt has coming back would be a good foundation for the offensive schemes he runs.

2. He was known as a guy that developed QB talent, despite his missing the boat on Flacco (although Palko was no slacker). He worked with some good ones over the years.

3. He was a respectable recruiter (especially on the O side) having brought-in Larry Fitz, Antonio Bryant, Flacco, et al. Could nicely complement Narduzzi's strengths on the D side.

Downside I see on Walt is he's getting a little long in the tooth. This may not actually be a con as I think he'd be less likely to be looking to job-hop. Also, he (via his agent) had a bad falling-out with Pitt, although that was the previous administration. Walt may be interested in mending fences at a reasonable price and the new admin doesn't have any obligations to the old admin.

Who knows?...never hurts to pick-up the phone and talk.
Walt's almost 70. Add to that, Walt hated to run the ball. Hell with the ball on the one yard line, Walt preferred to throw a fade pattern. I don't see his philosophy meshing with Narduzzi's. Walt's not a viable candidate.

Oregon weather passed muster with his wife? :)

Don't worry i never bought that BS either....
Maybe they split. Corvallis is going to really cramp her social life after living in Miami. She wouldn't move to the Burgh but she'd move to Oregon?

while were waiting.....

i hope narduzzi is not holding out to see if he can get DeFilippo.

The remaining names which are very few being mentioned after enos they don't don't have much experience which maybe PN doesn't mind

Walt or someone like him would be the perfect guy for PITT today!
In case some of you haven't noticed we cant seem to keep terrible AD's or good coaches around. This isn't good for a D1 sports program.
What we need today is stability. Tomorrow might be a different story!
I think Walt has watched PITT football, talked to Narduzzi and I'm sure his offensive gameplan has evolved.
He'll run ball with the depth PITT has at that position including working Hendersen and Whitehead into the run offense!
If we get a " hot commodity" he'll be moving again next year!

Last edited:
I wanted Walt gone when he left, especially after his agent had diarrhea of the mouth , but I wouldn't mind him back as OC for a few years, he would work cheap and Pitt likes that as well

i'm reading the van pelt for oc all over the place. first of all, its quite possible he doesn't even have a degree. others have mentioned he doesn't. second, if he didn't play at pitt, he would not even been mentioned.

so i'm including his bio, what part of this says he will be our hire? that is right, he won't. he has no college experience and one year of oc experience in 2009 and he hasn't gotten that title again. but i'm sure someone will argue that he would be a great recruiter....

As coach:

Well Van Pelt didn't graduate, and he could be the number one coach in America, but we are Pitt, we have the highest standards.

You would think 1 million dollars could get you someone successful at a big time program

Well Van Pelt didn't graduate, and he could be the number one coach in America, but we are Pitt, we have the highest standards.

You would think 1 million dollars could get you someone successful at a big time program
Why? The big time program would just pay them more than we could pay, if they were successful there.

Am I the only who thinks it can still be Napier, but it's taking extra because of being in the NC game?

I'm thinking the plan was to talk him at the AFCA, but he had to wait a couple days. Now they are ironing out contract stuff before making any sort of announcement.

Am I crazy?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT