ADVERTISEMENT

Names that have been thrown out so far for OC

I'm curious to see who the 3 finalists are
Three-Stooges3.jpg

After seeing the final 3 names might not be the most enticing,the one has I guess u can say has some acc ties but I don't get why all 3 have strong mid west ties when we don't even recruit the Midwest

if you say so.

After seeing the final 3 names might not be the most enticing,the one has I guess u can say has some acc ties but I don't get why all 3 have strong mid west ties when we don't even recruit the Midwest

While were waiting......

i really have no idea if narduzzi considered watson and azzani(sp?). watson has more experience, but its not all good experience. my preference would be azzani, OC and a really good recruiter.

i did ask the question awhile back and nobody answered, his OC experience was at WKU, if it was the spread, then its unlikely he is a serious candidate.

Let me ask you a question, since about 12/19 do you think he's offered the job to anyone yet?

I think he did & he missed out on his first choice/choices.....to wait this long and have these names pop up....he missed HIS guy!!
January 8, 2016 6:50 PM is when Matt Canada was selected last year. He has been recruiting, on AD Search Committee and looking for an OC after many were taken and moved every where. I think he does not want much changes either and that makes it tougher.

LINK FROM PAST:
“When Chaney left, I said we’re going to get a guy as good or better, and I think we’ve done that,” Narduzzi said. “Mission accomplished there.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...rs-offensive-coordinator/stories/201601080242

It hasn't negatively impacted recruiting, so I could care less as long as he gets the right guy.
*Couldn't

Of course he needs to "get the right guy" but we need an OC pretty soon, if we plan to have Spring practice this year. That is especially true with a new QB and changes on the OL.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
We need an AD and the OC in place soon!
Open spots for long periods of time dont look good. It looks like noone wants the jobs even though thats not the issue. Or is it?
Its important the new recruits see a new OC in place soon so the new OC can begin to develope a relationship with the players!
It would be nice if the AD is annouced soon so that the entire athletic dept team is in place and things can begin to move forward.
There's lots of work on the AD's to do list with some big events coming up soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
It hasn't negatively impacted recruiting, so I could care less as long as he gets the right guy.
Actually you dont know if it impacted recruiting since you " don't know what you don't know." Recruits that we didnt land may have noticed the OC spot was open and had been open for a while and moved on to another U. You'll never know that answer so it would have been best to have the job filled during the recruiting period!
Its important to get the right guy but speed of delivery is important.
This has taken way to long!

Reactions: Jpripper88
We need an AD and the OC in place soon!
Open spots for long periods of time dont look good. It looks like noone wants the jobs even though thats not the issue. Or is it?
Its important the new recruits see a new OC in place soon so the new OC can begin to develope a relationship with the players!
It would be nice if the AD is annouced soon so that the entire athletic dept team is in place and things can begin to move forward.
There's lots of work on the AD's to do list with some big events coming up soon!

He said in his press conference yesterday that OC should be announced by the end of the week.

If anyone offensively was that important that required an OC I'm sure PN would have gave a few names he was looking at,I can't imagine he wouldn't say anything

Actually you dont know if it impacted recruiting since you " don't know what you don't know." Recruits that we didnt land may have noticed the OC spot was open and had been open for a while and moved on to another U. You'll never know that answer so it would have been best to have the job filled during the recruiting period!
Its important to get the right guy but speed of delivery is important.
This has taken way to long!
Any reasonable look at the recruits on the offensive side indicates that not having an OC did not have a negative effect on recruiting.

4-star RB AJ Davis
4-star TE Charles Reeves
3-star+ WR Michael Smith

These guys had plenty of other options - they still elected to come to Pitt even though Pitt doesn't have an OC. I'm impressed by that.

Go Pitt.

Any reasonable look at the recruits on the offensive side indicates that not having an OC did not have a negative effect on recruiting.

4-star RB AJ Davis
4-star TE Charles Reeves
3-star+ WR Michael Smith

These guys had plenty of other options - they still elected to come to Pitt even though Pitt doesn't have an OC. I'm impressed by that.

Go Pitt.
It's a nice class but how do you know who might have passed on PITT for that reason?
We didnt get everyone we wanted on offense!
Some of those who were recruited went in different directions for various reasons none of which are know to us! Coaches from competing programs wont hesitate to attempt to capitalize on a open coaching position.
A defensive recruit might be spooked joining a team who had an OC in place for one year with that spot still open.
If you have and OC in place that potential negative goes away.

What happened to the thought of....Narduzzi has had his guy locked up for awhile and just waiting to announce after LOI because of that guys contract status?

Narduzzi is not getting his top choice, hopefully we still get a guy that works out.

It's a nice class but how do you know who might have passed on PITT for that reason?
We didnt get everyone we wanted on offense!
Some of those who were recruited went in different directions for various reasons none of which are know to us! Coaches from competing programs wont hesitate to attempt to capitalize on a open coaching position.
A defensive recruit might be spooked joining a team who had an OC in place for one year with that spot still open.
If you have and OC in place that potential negative goes away.

-I think this class in 2017 on offense is absolutely loaded. Who else would you have liked on offense? Malik Zaire? We hit grandslams at OL, TE, RB, and WR. QB and Max Brown TBD. Love this class on offense. Big, fast, athletic and absolutely physical up and down the entire offense.

-Defense not so much. But this offense coming in? Hell yea its awesome.

Anyone have any info on either Watson or Johnson? Admittedly, I have no idea who either of these guys are...

Also, while I don't think the OC coordinator situation affected this year's recruiting class, I feel like it could most definitely affect the '18 class. The new OC is going to have to hit the ground running and start building some relationships because he is already behind. A lot of teams have already gotten off to fast starts in '18 and we have yet to hear any noise at all about commitments. PSU already has 3 out of the top 10 PA in the first week of February. Here's to hoping the new OC can recruit his a** off.

Why exactly don't you like Johnson?
He has 1 year of P5 experience and isn't known as a great recruiter. I don't think he is a bad option, but he certainly isn't great. Plus, he comes from a program in turmoil. He has had some previous success and is open to different looks without getting away from power run, so that is intriguing, but I don't think anyone would say they thought he was a "great" hire for Minnesota last year and I don't think "great" would describe it if he came to Pitt this year. That is especially true after there was essentially 0 improvement from the Minnesota O this season and they finished 107th in YPG and 63rd in PPG. The results weren't much different at ULL, either.

Also, while I don't think the OC coordinator situation affected this year's recruiting class, I feel like it could most definitely affect the '18 class. The new OC is going to have to hit the ground running and start building some relationships because he is already behind. A lot of teams have already gotten off to fast starts in '18 and we have yet to hear any noise at all about commitments. PSU already has 3 out of the top 10 PA in the first week of February. Here's to hoping the new OC can recruit his a** off.

-There is barely any talent on offense in 2018 in PA, at least not quality talent. Going back into Florida to recruit true athletes with speed.

Interesting to finally hear names. Neither sounds like a great option.
Minnesota's total offense under Johnson was 107 out of 128 last year. Almost the equivalent of our pass defense.

Watson at least has some nice years on his resume at Louisville and Nebby.

Ouch. then the other dude watson didn't have a offense. he was below the HC(play caller) and he was below Johns. When the season ended and all the guys started to get hired for new teams, Johns got hired, Watson still waiting after all those positions were filled. And were his last chance, as were the last team to hire a OC.

Minnesota's total offense under Johnson was 107 out of 128 last year. Almost the equivalent of our pass defense.

Watson at least has some nice years on his resume at Louisville and Nebby.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT