ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Buccos

Bob Nutting comes in at #2

Riddle me this! Oh, the riddle is in the link below, which we almost would miss (worst MLB owners). But clearly, the Marlins owner is underrated there. That franchise has, by that estimate lost $130 million in value over the course of his ownership. Incredible!

I like Hayes, but I don't see him as a shortstop. I think it's easier for a shortstop to shift to third base (e. g.. Maury Wills when he was traded to the Pirates) than vice versa.
He has a bad back. I assume his range will be limited. I think SS is optimistic...and with his bat, I think he needs to come off of the bench for defense if we ever get a lead and he's ever healthy.

Maybe Keller pitched better when he got more run support like earlier in the year when he piled up the wins.
He was challenging hitters and getting lots of K's.
Ideally Keller is your #3 starter in a future rotation.

Give these kids a little time...........they are talented.
Yeah you got to go with the kids and take the lumps. I mean the future truly is here now. I am not saying there are any guarantees. I do know it is now looking better they didn't spend $15 mill per year on Keller.

But you know what else, Josh Bell, Starling Marte, Clay Holmes and Jacob Stallings have basically yielded the Pirates Livero Peguero. That's it, that's the list.

So this endless cycle of trading guys for "prospects" isn't a guarantee either.

Did anyone see that play that scored the Pirates a run in the 7th? Peguero was on third and after a pitch the catcher lobs the ball back to the pitcher. For some reason the pitcher was backing his way down the back of the mound and the throw from the catcher was low. The pitcher sort of halfheartedly reaches down for the ball and misses it. The ball goes through his legs and rolls about half way to second base. And they all just kind of stand there and look at it for a moment or two, so Peguero figures what the heck, might as well go home.

I've seen pitchers drop/miss the throw back from the catcher before, but I don't think I've ever seen a whole team just kind of nonchalant a play like that to allow a run to score. It was like the pitcher couldn't be bothered to catch the ball, and then no one could be bothered to go get it.

McCutchen was up at the time and he ended up walking and then Santana cleared the bases with a double, so in the end it probably didn't matter. But that was a bad look for the Angels.

Did anyone see that play that scored the Pirates a run in the 7th? Peguero was on third and after a pitch the catcher lobs the ball back to the pitcher. For some reason the pitcher was backing his way down the back of the mound and the throw from the catcher was low. The pitcher sort of halfheartedly reaches down for the ball and misses it. The ball goes through his legs and rolls about half way to second base. And they all just kind of stand there and look at it for a moment or two, so Peguero figures what the heck, might as well go home.

I've seen pitchers drop/miss the throw back from the catcher before, but I don't think I've ever seen a whole team just kind of nonchalant a play like that to allow a run to score. It was like the pitcher couldn't be bothered to catch the ball, and then no one could be bothered to go get it.

McCutchen was up at the time and he ended up walking and then Santana cleared the bases with a double, so in the end it probably didn't matter. But that was a bad look for the Angels.
Very bizarre indeed:

This Keller thing... I mean, my God. It can't just always be about the future and potential, and it can't just always be "So and so can be a good 3rd starter."

This Keller thing... I mean, my God. It can't just always be about the future and potential, and it can't just always be "So and so can be a good 3rd starter."
They are who they are, not who everyone wants them to be. A good rotation needs 5 guys. If Keller is good enough to be one of those, and if he is the third guy, that means 2 other guys are better than him, and based on what he is showing, that would be a good thing.

No guarantees when you pick these kids before they have one minute of ML experience. It is always a gamble. Some make it some don't.

Right now, you have two choices, maybe three. You can look to the future, you can accept what is here, which isn't real good, or you can ignore the entire situation.

The Angels TV crew (I was watching in Southern California) said catcher.

The Pirates crew also assumed that it would be on the catcher and were surprised that they gave it to the pitcher. I checked the box score after the game and it showed the error on the pitcher as well.

I mean it wasn't a good throw, but it did go right between the pitcher's legs. He clearly should/could have caught it, if he made just a little effort.

They are who they are, not who everyone wants them to be. A good rotation needs 5 guys. If Keller is good enough to be one of those, and if he is the third guy, that means 2 other guys are better than him, and based on what he is showing, that would be a good thing.

Well that's just my point... he needs to be better. There's always going to be some projection in this formula, but the better players who have been up here for as long as he has need to be lights out. He needs to be a #2 with an ERA on the friendly side of 4.00. If he's not our #2, who is? We've already been told that's above Priester's ceiling (and he is more than backing up that claim).

It's also nut cutting time for Hayes, when he gets back.

Well that's just my point... he needs to be better
I get it, but the truth is one can say that forever. Without a commitment from ownership to "fill in the gaps wherever they may be." , the team will have no high end additions and will not be able to compete with teams that add high end talent. Never, ever. Nutting as owner= never reaching WS.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Jack Suwinski has made history tonight in San Diego… I thought this before now, but he certainly solidified his place on this team moving forward.

Pirates trade Carlos Santana to the Milwaukee Brewers for an international signee.
It's true they weren't going anywhere this season (as usual), but . . . don't you get tired of this crap?

The international signee is a shortstop. Aren't they already loaded with middle infielders? Every time I tune into a game, there's somebody in the lineup I never heard of before (e. g. Alika Williams).

You have to admit he still works his tail off every start ..
Yes, no qualms with RH, but all along the notion of some kind of 2-3 year great improvement for this Club when Rich Hill, Cutch and Santana are gone is quite an endorsement of P.T. Barnum's idea "There's a sucker born every minute"

Yes, no qualms with RH, but all along the notion of some kind of 2-3 year great improvement for this Club when Rich Hill, Cutch and Santana are gone is quite an endorsement of P.T. Barnum's idea "There's a sucker born every minute"
Yeah . To me and probably most that's been Nutsack's mantra since he bought the team ..

Reactions: Parkview57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT