ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: penguins

Went to the game. It was a huge crowd, as you'd expect, but it was a fairly calm crowd, like a quiet confidence that the Pens were going to handle them.

The Pens played very smart hockey. Tight checking, kept the puck on the edges, spent a ton of time in Carolina's zone. Play like that, and they'll win out even without Letang and Malkin.
Murray was very solid and comfortable in the net. The one he let in he had no chance at. Screened and it was a blistering shot to the top left corner.

Carolina is a very fast team, but they might have been a bit fatigued from playing back to back. Good break for the Pens!

Just keep winning stay healthy and see what happens. Matta showing some rust, but Simon played a nice game, imagine that?

#44 is a solid defenseman. Great pickup! He really makes a difference in his own end. Just what the doctor ordered!

Funny, there was still stray confetti filtering down occasionally from the KISS concert! Even the players were laughing about that.

BTW, Crosby is amazing! Didn't factor in the scoring, but dominated the faceoffs and was incredible when handling the puck. Lost his stick, but batted a puck down with his bare hands and thwarted a breakaway! He is the BEST!!
Sid just continues to amaze and I listen to a lot of NHL Radio on Sirius and many of the analysts there are saying this is his best year yet. This year he is showing that he just might be the greatest two-way player in NHL history. The guy grinds, he defends in his own zone, and of course, his offensive skill is as elite as we've ever seen. I hope fans don't take him for granted because he has been spectacular.

I remember that vividly. I was just shellshocked. I can remember Francis had the puck in the slot wide open in OT and Healy stoned him.

That loss crushed me as much as the Sid Bream, because that was truly the best overall Pens team and maybe the best overall NHL team, since the 1985 Oilers. That was a dynasty, a legend maker and it was stolen from us.
I hated the Islanders, always. From 1982, to those Bossy/Trottier teams laying 8-2 beat downs, but that 1993 series loss was the worst.
Yep. That was the best Penguins team of all-time and the Islanders were just a so-so team. Many have pointed the finger at Scotty Bowman for playing Barrasso so many games down the stretch just to protect their NHL-record 18-game winning streak (I believe it's a record that still stands). The series never should have gone to Game 7, but as mentioned above, the Stevens injury took every bit of wind out of the Pens' sails in that final game. Too bad because we could have had a Gretzky/Lemieux Stanley Cup Final. Gretzky's Kings made it out of the West that year.

Went to the game. It was a huge crowd, as you'd expect, but it was a fairly calm crowd, like a quiet confidence that the Pens were going to handle them.

The Pens played very smart hockey. Tight checking, kept the puck on the edges, spent a ton of time in Carolina's zone. Play like that, and they'll win out even without Letang and Malkin.
Murray was very solid and comfortable in the net. The one he let in he had no chance at. Screened and it was a blistering shot to the top left corner.

Carolina is a very fast team, but they might have been a bit fatigued from playing back to back. Good break for the Pens!

Just keep winning stay healthy and see what happens. Matta showing some rust, but Simon played a nice game, imagine that?

#44 is a solid defenseman. Great pickup! He really makes a difference in his own end. Just what the doctor ordered!

Funny, there was still stray confetti filtering down occasionally from the KISS concert! Even the players were laughing about that.

BTW, Crosby is amazing! Didn't factor in the scoring, but dominated the faceoffs and was incredible when handling the puck. Lost his stick, but batted a puck down with his bare hands and thwarted a breakaway! He is the BEST!!
Yeah they are playing smarter now. It is like the personal scoring stuff and chases for point totals are over, it is now about winning.

If you look at their blueline, what was a weakness is now a strength. The addition of Petterson and Gudbranson hugely upgraded the defense and depth, but you know what also did? Playing Jack Johnson on his right (correct) side (left) and guess what, he is a pretty serviceable defenseman.

I still am bizarrely amused by the lack of ability to convert empty netters which renders a lot of these end of game situations a bit more tense than they should be.

Winning without not just Geno and Letang, but Sid hasn't been scoring and they are finding a way to get it done.

I know some will roll their eyes, but Murray right now is the goalie all of us envisioned going forward after that 2nd Cup win. He is a franchise goalie. He has managed to go from what, 35th in save % or was it worse to top 10.

I still am bizarrely amused by the lack of ability to convert empty netters which renders a lot of these end of game situations a bit more tense than they should be.
Agreed, but even more than the ability to put the puck into an empty net has been their struggle just to dis-possess opponents from the puck and get it out of the zone in these late-game situations. Thankfully, they did a good job of that yesterday.

Yep. That was the best Penguins team of all-time and the Islanders were just a so-so team. Many have pointed the finger at Scotty Bowman for playing Barrasso so many games down the stretch just to protect their NHL-record 18-game winning streak (I believe it's a record that still stands). The series never should have gone to Game 7, but as mentioned above, the Stevens injury took every bit of wind out of the Pens' sails in that final game. Too bad because we could have had a Gretzky/Lemieux Stanley Cup Final. Gretzky's Kings made it out of the West that year.
That was one of the most incredible individual feats I ever witnessed (Lemieux).

Mario's season totals that year were: 69 goals, 91 assists 160 points, a +55. Pretty good, eh? Well he missed 20 GAMES because of Hodgkin's disease. He came back Pat Lafontaine had a 12 point lead when Mario went out and Mario beat him by 12 points!

That was a season, if you projected out to say 82 games (they played 94 games that year), 94 goals, 124 assists 218 points, shattering Gretzky's marks in goals and points.

Mario lost about 250 games in his prime to injury/illness/premature retirement. That was probably 150 goals and 500 points left out there. That would have given him 840 goals and over 2500 points.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Agreed, but even more than the ability to put the puck into an empty net has been their struggle just to dis-possess opponents from the puck and get it out of the zone in these late-game situations. Thankfully, they did a good job of that yesterday.
Yeah, that is a huge part of it.

Yeah they are playing smarter now. It is like the personal scoring stuff and chases for point totals are over, it is now about winning.

If you look at their blueline, what was a weakness is now a strength. The addition of Petterson and Gudbranson hugely upgraded the defense and depth, but you know what also did? Playing Jack Johnson on his right (correct) side (left) and guess what, he is a pretty serviceable defenseman.

Winning without not just Geno and Letang, but Sid hasn't been scoring and they are finding a way to get it done.

I know some will roll their eyes, but Murray right now is the goalie all of us envisioned going forward after that 2nd Cup win. He is a franchise goalie. He has managed to go from what, 35th in save % or was it worse to top 10.
The empty net thing goes back to what you were saying about playing smart.
They are staying home and taking care of business first. Taking the body, pushing the puck to the edges, protecting Murray. They blocked a ton of shots last night before they even got to the goalie.

I think they learned from squandering those late leads fairly recently, and don't take chances or cheat to score an easy one.

The Canes were down two at the end, and only had a couple of truly legitimate scoring chances in the final seconds last night.
The Pens are playing playoff hockey right now. Don't know how far it will take them, but they are definitely zoned in!

Sid just continues to amaze and I listen to a lot of NHL Radio on Sirius and many of the analysts there are saying this is his best year yet. This year he is showing that he just might be the greatest two-way player in NHL history. The guy grinds, he defends in his own zone, and of course, his offensive skill is as elite as we've ever seen. I hope fans don't take him for granted because he has been spectacular.
Here's another thing.
Guentzel!
That kid is sooooooo smart out there, and he has skills to match.
It can't be easy playing with Crosby. He would be so hard to predict because he does so many amazing and seemingly impossible things with the puck. Some of his passes defy logic.
To play with him and be on the same wavelength and actually be ready and convert a lot of those insane passes is amazing.

Mario made a 50 goal scorer out of Robbie Brown when he used Brown's stick as a rebound platform for himself. But Sid may be an even better play maker with the way he works behind the net and in the corners.

He circled the net with the puck, with his stick extended, and using his other arm to fend off a defender, got pulled down, and still put a shot on goal! No penalty called, but it WAS a penalty.

Watching those two work together is well worth the price of admission.

Here's another thing.
Guentzel!
It can't be easy playing with Crosby. He would be so hard to predict because he does so many amazing and seemingly impossible things with the puck. Some of his passes defy logic.
To play with him and be on the same wavelength and actually be ready and convert a lot of those insane passes is amazing.

Mario made a 50 goal scorer out of Robbie Brown when he used Brown's stick as a rebound platform for himself. But Sid may be an even better play maker with the way he works behind the net and in the corners.

He circled the net with the puck, with his stick extended, and using his other arm to fend off a defender, got pulled down, and still put a shot on goal! No penalty called, but it WAS a penalty.

Robbie Brown scored, get this, 76 goals and 212 points his last year of Juniors. He was a fantastic offensive talent. Unfortunately he was a bit of a Phil Kessel without the speed when it came to defense and conditioning.

Robbie Brown scored, get this, 76 goals and 212 points his last year of Juniors. He was a fantastic offensive talent. Unfortunately he was a bit of a Phil Kessel without the speed when it came to defense and conditioning.
That's great! If Mario centered for him he'd have had 176 goals.
He had 3 VG years playing wing for Lemieux. The rest of his career Meh!
When he left as a FA, Mario made him a rich man!

Here's another thing.
Guentzel!

Yeah Guentzel probably doesn't get the credit he deserves because people just assume that he is scoring so many goals riding Crosby's coattails. He is very smart as you point out and his instincts are through the roof. Plus, it's not like he scores tap in/dirty goals. Most of his goals are snipes.

Yeah Guentzel probably doesn't get the credit he deserves because people just assume that he is scoring so many goals riding Crosby's coattails. He is very smart as you point out and his instincts are through the roof. Plus, it's not like he scores tap in/dirty goals. Most of his goals are snipes.
Yeah he is a helluva player. It is funny we lament about the lack of #1 picks over the past decade for the Pens, but Guentzel, Murray and even Rust have performed like #1 picks, the former 2, high first rd picks. So there is talent out there beyond the first round.

9-3-3 with a 9.35 save % and 2.18 GAA. I think Murray did alright in March.

Yeah how dumb of me to think a team could go 1-2 without their star players and another behind them could go 3-0. There is your 3 points buddy. No way Crosby sits.

You don't need to admit you're dumb here, let people figure that out on their own. Like I said, Crosby and Murray play 1 more game, and sit the other 2. The team has done pretty well without star players so far. No chance a team makes up 3 points in 3 games this late in the season.

You don't need to admit you're dumb here, let people figure that out on their own. Like I said, Crosby and Murray play 1 more game, and sit the other 2. The team has done pretty well without star players so far. No chance a team makes up 3 points in 3 games this late in the season.
Murray may get a game, depending on circumstances. Against the Red Wings or Rangers, DeSmith would do just fine.
No way Crosby sits. He IS the Penguins. He isn't hurt, doesn't appear to be tired, has some personal goals to achieve. Sitting him would be pure out stupid!

Since it is mathematically possible for a team to make up 3 points in 3 games, your point is pointless. When it is possible, it CAN happen, period.
Home ice is important not only from a competitive advantage but also to the bottom line. The more home playoff games you can get the more $$ you put in the bank.

If you want to die on this molehill, have at it, but both points are beyond silly!

Reactions: FieldHouse12
Murray may get a game, depending on circumstances. Against the Red Wings or Rangers, DeSmith would do just fine.
No way Crosby sits. He IS the Penguins. He isn't hurt, doesn't appear to be tired, has some personal goals to achieve. Sitting him would be pure out stupid!

Since it is mathematically possible for a team to make up 3 points in 3 games, your point is pointless. When it is possible, it CAN happen, period.
Home ice is important not only from a competitive advantage but also to the bottom line. The more home playoff games you can get the more $$ you put in the bank.

If you want to die on this molehill, have at it, but both points are beyond silly!

I would play Murray tonight. And depending on the outcome, then decide on Thursday. Then if the last game, maybe split it between DeSmith and Murray.

I would play Murray tonight. And depending on the outcome, then decide on Thursday. Then if the last game, maybe split it between DeSmith and Murray.
DeSmith should get a game if for no other reason than giving him some work prior to the Playoffs. You never know when you may need him.

Murray has been more than solid, borderline spectacular, but he does have a history of getting injured. DeSmith has played well and is more than capable of beating Detroit or NY Rangers.

DeSmith should get a game if for no other reason than giving him some work prior to the Playoffs. You never know when you may need him.

Murray has been more than solid, borderline spectacular, but he does have a history of getting injured. DeSmith has played well and is more than capable of beating Detroit or NY Rangers.
Agree. He should get a game, but also Murray is on a roll, so I think they would split it 2 to 1 for Murray.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Letang is having neck issues stemming back from a few years ago. He probably won’t play again at least until the postseason.

Thank Goodness your not the coach and just some internet nobody .

Until Crosby takes a shot off his jaw and ruins your playoff hopes. No need to increase the risk of your franchise for meaningless games.

You play sid and Murray in the home game and rest him at detroit and the season finale.

Until Crosby takes a shot off his jaw and ruins your playoff hopes. No need to increase the risk of your franchise for meaningless games.

You play sid and Murray in the home game and rest him at detroit and the season finale.
thats the point , they are far from meaningless.
Say the Pens win this game, and lose the final two and Columbus wins all three and the Pens finish in the 7th spot.
They can then say well who cares Crosby is healthy .....LOL you have no idea what you are talkin about.
And the game is at Detroit tonight... Do you rest him tonight ?
Nevermind, I dont want a response from you.

Last edited:

Meaningless? I don’t see an “X” next to their name in the standings. Plus, a few slip ups down the stretch and suddenly they are playing Washington instead of the Islanders.

Ya haven't been paying attention to this season. The bottom rung teams have bit the Penguins moreso than the best teams.

When that puck got past Tommy B. in 1993 i just sat there in shock. I couldn't believe it was true. I thought that team was easily our best and most dominant ever. Maybe when Kevin Stevens face broke on the ice that night so did our aura of invincibility. Regardless, I still remeber sitting there devoid of emotion mostly because of the shock that we were done and the run had ended.
I was the same. Shock. With the game on the line in the 3rd Lemieux takes an idiotic penalty to miss a crucial PP and then hits a post at the end of regulation that would've won it. Gulf got burned badly on the first goal and Barrasso was burned on the OTG. Steven's and Tocchet (back) were gone after being the most dominant line in history. The Isles didn't even have their best player. The Pens should've won the Cup easily. LA and MTL were both so weak. I'm still sick over it.

And he won't play forever.

Can a point be pointless?

Here's another thing.
Guentzel!

Brown parlayed that into dating some soap opera babe for awhile didn't he?

I was the same. Shock. With the game on the line in the 3rd Lemieux takes an idiotic penalty to miss a crucial PP and then hits a post at the end of regulation that would've won it. Gulf got burned badly on the first goal and Barrasso was burned on the OTG. Steven's and Tocchet (back) were gone after being the most dominant line in history. The Isles didn't even have their best player. The Pens should've won the Cup easily. LA and MTL were both so weak. I'm still sick over it.

That’s the nature of the beast though. In 2010 when Montreal upset Washington and then the Pens that should not have happened either.

That was one of the most incredible individual feats I ever witnessed (Lemieux).

Mario's season totals that year were: 69 goals, 91 assists 160 points, a +55. Pretty good, eh? Well he missed 20 GAMES because of Hodgkin's disease. He came back Pat Lafontaine had a 12 point lead when Mario went out and Mario beat him by 12 points!

That was a season, if you projected out to say 82 games (they played 94 games that year), 94 goals, 124 assists 218 points, shattering Gretzky's marks in goals and points.

Mario lost about 250 games in his prime to injury/illness/premature retirement. That was probably 150 goals and 500 points left out there. That would have given him 840 goals and over 2500 points.
One other thing about Mario Lemieux's just sheer awesomeness.

He retired in 1997. He sat out 3 seasons. He returned half way through the 2000-2001 season. He played half the season, 35 goals, 41 assists, 76 points. He was in the top 30 in points, top 20 in goals, and if you prorate those totals he would have had 65 goals which would have won the goal scoring title and 141 points which would have won the scoring title by 20 points. At 35. After sitting out 3 1/2 years!!! Just merely working out in private with Jay Caulfield he returns and does that.

Gretzky my ass, the greatest of all time. Okay, sorry for the tangential rant.

thats the point , they are far from meaningless.
Say the Pens win this game, and lose the final two and Columbus wins all three and the Pens finish in the 7th spot.
They can then say well who cares Crosby is healthy .....LOL you have no idea what you are talkin about.
And the game is at Detroit tonight... Do you rest him tonight ?
Nevermind, I dont want a response from you.

You play him in home games for your fans in the regular season. Against Detroit, you're going to get your W.

I'll take my chances on Columbus winning out and the backups not being able to get at least a tie against 2 shit teams. And if lightening strikes and that does happen, then i'd still rather be guaranteed a healthy Murray and Crosby in the 7 seed playing Washington.

Meaningless? I don’t see an “X” next to their name in the standings. Plus, a few slip ups down the stretch and suddenly they are playing Washington instead of the Islanders.

So what? You're playing Washington regardless. Why not play them when healthy?

This thread has officially jumped the shark. BigBird you lost me...
You are not even being rationale.
No one would think that way ..Work hard all season for a top spot and then let it squander away in the last 2 games ?
You also realize Detroit has won 5 in a row .

You guys are more worried about positioning than me. Get in the playoffs and avoid Tampa. That's all they should be concerned with imo.

Washington, Islanders, Columbus, Carolina. Not concerned with any of the 4. Washington won't have the hunger of last year, monkey is off their back.

Reactions: Jakey_John
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT