ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Nebraska wants to rejoin the Big 12, so can Pitt get into the Big 10??

Here's the link to the article

http://www.yardbarker.com/college_f...braska_wants_to_rejoin_big_12/s1_127_22041061

If Nebraska is allowed back they'll most likely reopen expansion. So I think Pitt would be much better off in the Big 10. Would Pitt have a chance??

Why? Seriously. The ACC is a great fit for Pitt. Pitt and Penn State need to reestablish their annual rivalry ( as it would benefit both schools ) but that can be done with Pitt in the ACC. The Big Ten will always be about keeping Michigan and Ohio State on top - screw that. Additionally, are you fired up to play in Bloomington, IN; Iowa City, IA, West Lafayette, IN; Minneapolis, MN. Have you ever been to these places in the fall?
Give me the Atlantic coast anyday over rural, rust belt America.

Pitt is great in the ACC.

So will Pitt win enough in the B1G to grow our brand? I say we have a good deal in the ACC, In a division we could challenge for if we just get marginally better, I like the situation in the ACC to be honest.

Agree. We are in a good & stable position with the ACC. Plus, the ACC is best if we want any chance of getting our basketball program going again. The B1G would kill it.

Here is the reliable source for this article and thus this discussion. The guy has no credibility nor any job. Just throwing BS out there to get attention.

"Monty was formerly a radio show host in Salt Lake City and was plugged into things going on with BYU, which has interest in joining the new conference, along with Houston and Cincinnati."

Reactions: ThePanthers
People are delusional if they think Nebraska will ever leave the B1G. We're thrilled to be in that conference and finally about to get a full revenue share for the very first time next year. It's not even an extremely remote consideration. We hated Texas then and we hate Texas now. It's a laughable rumor being floated only by very desperate Big 12 folks as their conference sinks further down the toilet.

Right, but if they have the Internet or cable...or even friends, they would be well aware of the fact that the Big 12 that they knew (and loathed - which is why they left in the first place) is demonstrably more dysfunctional and worse off than it was when they left a few years back.

In other words, they couldn't go home again even if they wanted to because there is no "there" anymore.

The Longhorn Network is still the biggest wedge issue for the conference and it doesn't matter how much bitching and moaning everyone else (disingenuously) does about it, Texas isn't giving it up without a king's ransom in return.

Who in their right mind (with options) would want anything to do with that flaming pile of schitt? If anything, they should be on their knees each night thanking 9-lb, 8-oz baby Jesus that they were able to get out of Saigon when they did. They are a lot like us in that regard and though we still don't have any real fierce ACC rivals and we too feel a little culturally askew - which is reinforced every time I see a commercial for Popeye's Chicken or the Ford Dealers of Greater Mecklenburg County, or whatever the hell it is - it still beats the living schitt out of the alternative; just ask Cincinnati, Connecticut and South Florida.
Husker fan here. Depending on the age of the Husker fan, many felt the big 12 was not home either, no annual game against OU. Go to he Husker home board. There is not talk of leaving the B1G or returning to the Big 12. Husker fans love good football, doesn't matter who they play.

This rumor sounds as if it was floated by The Dude, Tuxedo Yoda, or some other L8 expansioneer.

On the surface though, I dont think the Big Ten fits Nebraska, a place with 0 in-state talent. They benefitted greatly from recruiting Texas and now they cant. The Big Ten has no football factory states for them to recruit to.

I do believe SOME people in Nebraska want to go back to the Big 12 but there's no way the really smart ones or the BOT will allow it.
Nebraska has two Texas kids committed right now and lead for another two. All highly sought after. Nebraska has always recruited nationally, in the Big 12 and now.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
I think we need to let Nebraska think they are still a national program. it's Nebraska, you take away their illusions on their football program, you aren't leaving them much else..

giphy.gif

Some made up bs article don't get your hopes up.

LOL, yeah guys, open your eyes. The nation, always craving for Nebraska football news, has fallen for this story. I expect to see national pundits come out any minute for further clarification.

Reactions: vietvet1
Sooooo, Nebraska is going to leave the most lucrative and stable situation in major college football for far less money and stability?

Sure they will.

I can't wait for the press conference.
Trump is giving them "business" advice.

I can see West Virginia or Cincinnati to B 10 befor pitt, I like ACC much better especially in hoops

Personally I really like the ACC so far. We have a league that we have a legitimate shot at winning (at least our division), which would not be the case if we were slotted in the big ten east. Further the future demographics are in the ACCs favor. As others have mentioned who on here wants to get beat by Michigan, MSU, and Ohio State every year and have our stadium invaded by their fans. For the most part the road trips are superior in the ACC also. I'm going to the Pitt-Clemson game and it's going to be a blast.

I will never understand the goofy Fat 10 obsession with some of our fan base.

First off, we have way more alumni in DC, North Carolina and Florida than we do Iowa, Indiana or Minnesota, so no.

Secondly, if they put us in the same division as PSU, MSU, OSU and Michigan we would be relegated to Rutgers status. The same Rutgers everyone laughed at here three days ago for GOING TO THE FAT 10. At least there is a realistic chance of winning the coastal if we ever get our heads out of our asses.

But we know what this is all about: chasing the ex-girlfriend and moving into her neighborhood so she is forced to have dinner with us once a year. Christ, I'm really starting to question how well this school develops minds.

This question goes out to someone that knows inside PITT stuff not the average or below average poster who usually answers questions on the site.

I lost tract of the exact time but back in the early 2000's a PITT booster who was also a CEO of a company told me that the BIG 10 wanted PITT and was talking to them about joining the conference. Of course those were Big East basketball glory days and Big East football wasn't collapsing at that time.

I suppose if you donate enough money to PITT you're privy to so " inside PITT sports" stuff.

The word he received from other boosters/ other PITT people was PITT didn't pursue the inquiry because of Big East basketball and Jamie Dixon opposing the conference change.
It sounds like we should have jumped at that one not sure Dixon had that kind of influence but maybe he did during those years. It was also WannyBall time so not sure how he would have weighed in. Again Big East football was pretty good and wasn't in the dumper at that time.
Any truth to that one!

Last edited:
This goes along with what I hear from a couple of friends who follow Nebraska closely. The money is nice, but it doesn't "feel right".

"I have heard for going on a year that #Nebraska enjoyed the revenue from the #BIG10 but does not feel their brand has benefited or grown"

That's funny. Because Boren wants to get OU in the Big Ten as soon as possible. He would crawl naked on broken glass to Chicago for an invite. No school leaves the Big Ten or SEC because the deals are so lucrative. My god, I hope you're not registered to vote.

Tweet, tweet, tweet!

Tim Montemayor (TheMontyShow)

Ill go back to what I said several weeks ago #BYU & #Houston are the only two brands who make money and bring viewers to an expanded #BIGXII
9:05 AM - 2 Aug 2016

This guy is a clown that subscribes to the theory of "if I say enough stupid things, eventually I'll be right about one of those things and can say I'm a genius!"

He's obviously still a BYU fan-boy and like The Dude, is blinded to what is really going on by his fandom. BYU has to be desperate to get on board somewhere if they're even allowing themselves to be considered (see ND) so of course he "wants" them to be in the Big 12 and he "wants" there to be a Nebraska instead of a Cincinnati.

Bet he saw this on a message board somewhere. smh

Reactions: pivopils
the" white shadow", head football coach at Kansas state, Bill Snyder,said that there was one other team besides Nebraska, (my guess is Missouri)that wanted back in to B12. or, lets say there's state political pressure in Texas that wants A&M back home. in my view this this thing has legs. pitt to B10 however, is so GD ludicrous.........

This question goes out to someone that knows inside PITT stuff not the average or below average poster who usually answers questions on the site.

I lost tract of the exact time but back in the early 2000's a PITT booster who was also a CEO of a company told me that the BIG 10 wanted PITT and was talking to them about joining the conference. Of course those were Big East basketball and the Big East wasn't collapsing at that time.
The word he received from other boosters/ other PITT people was PITT didn't pursue the inquiry because of Big East basketball and Jamie Dixon opposing the conference change.
It sounds like we should have jumped at that one not sure Dixon had that kind of influence but maybe he did during those years. It was also WannyBall time so not sure how he would have weighed in. Again Big East football was pretty good and wasn't in the dumper at that time.
Any truth to that one!

What I've heard, and pieced together, was that the Big Ten was vetting Pitt around that time as a candidate...2009-10....something like that although timelines for me are a little blurred. It was definitely a year or two prior or so to the ACC invite when Nebraska was eventually invited. It is also around this period, or just after, that Nordenberg sent a letter to the Big East presidents council saying it would pursue other opportunities if they presented themselves. Some of the Big Ten sniffing around different schools leaked out to the message boards. The Big Ten was vetting many schools, including Syracuse, Rutgers, Missouri, Maryland, possibly Texas...names you've heard bandied about before. Is there truth that the Big Ten wanted Pitt? That implies an actual invite was on the table. No, it is not true at all that an Big Ten invite was on the table. Is it true that Jamie preferred to stay in an eastern conference? Absolutely. Would that preference have blocked a switch? Absolutely not. If Pitt received a real Big Ten invite, it would have been gonzo.

The Big Ten, and all other conferences, are often talking to different schools to different degrees, often through intermediaries. However, they don't do it in the manner of an embarrassing public shittt show that the B12 seems to be unable to avoid. Sometimes these discussions are real, sometimes they are done to to shake the tree a little...hence view leaks of schools flirting with suspicion. It is my opinion that Pitt never had a real shot at the Big Ten as long as Joe Paterno was alive and especially once the Big Ten Network started to be a major factor in revenue generation which meant expanding in-footprint rates in new markets became a major financial factor in expansion considerations.

Last edited:
Nebraska cares about one thing......................WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS like they did in the 1990's. Nebraska has never recovered after Steve Pederson Tenure as Athletic Director and the Big Ten is still about Ohio state and Michigan, with now MSU, Wisconsin, and some other 3rd to 5th Programs challenging the Big TWO.

If Nebraska Fans can win more in the Big-12 and be back in the Top ten, they would leave the money on the table, and take the Wins. However, the President & Trustees won't do it. They want the Money and will wait for a Top Elite Coach to bring in more Wins.....good luck with that too?

Tom Osborne like Joe Paterno would find it hard to win in Big Ten today on an Elite Level. Miami crushed them in 2000, like LSU & USC crushed OU!

Today, BAMA, CLEMSON, OHIO STATE, MICHIGAN, ULOU would too, even if NU had their Teams back then today!

Here's the link to the article

http://www.yardbarker.com/college_f...braska_wants_to_rejoin_big_12/s1_127_22041061

If Nebraska is allowed back they'll most likely reopen expansion. So I think Pitt would be much better off in the Big 10. Would Pitt have a chance??
Pitt would absolutely be worse off in the B1G. No doubt about it. Plus:

1. Grant of Rights.
2. We don't bring any revenue to the B1G.

Moving to the B10 would be a GREAT move for Pitt. I sure hope Gallagher/Barnes investigate it.

HUGE increase of cash flow, better football opponents, being involved with a conference that is known for footbal....one can only dream.
Better football opponents? Sure. Along with that, no chance at all for Pitt to ever ascend and be a competitive program.

That is of course without mentioning that from a fan perspective I prefer practically every ACC location for away games.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Sooooo, Nebraska is going to leave the most lucrative and stable situation in major college football for far less money and stability?

Sure they will.

I can't wait for the press conference.
A Big 12 WITHOUT Oklahoma, too. That is what this idiot is selling. They are going to leave the B1G for a B12 without Oklahoma. What an idiotic "article".

Bill Snyder misses rivalry, questions Nebraska's Big Ten happiness
Snyder said he “most certainly” missed K-State’s rivalry with the Cornhuskers, saying that the two schools, separated by less than 150 miles, “should be” meeting on the field.

“When push comes to shove," Snyder said of Nebraska, "I don’t want to speak for anybody, but I’m not so sure they’re pleased with the decision they made.”

The Huskers have won 25 of 40 Big Ten games in five seasons, but just six of 15 games against league heavyweights Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. Old rivalries are gone and new ones have been slow to ignite.

This year, Nebraska’s home league schedule includes Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota and Maryland. Not the most attractive slate.

But is Snyder right?

It’s highly doubtful.

By nearly all accounts out of Lincoln, Nebraska enjoys the prestige, athletically and academically, and stability that the Big Ten affords -- not to mention the financial benefits and a decent cultural fit. The Huskers can likely handle an uninspiring schedule if its conference assures a position of power on the future college football landscape.

The Big 12 can’t make that guarantee as it enters another phase of expansion.

LINK:
http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post...a-rivarly-questions-huskers-big-ten-happiness

Nebraska has two Texas kids committed right now and lead for another two. All highly sought after. Nebraska has always recruited nationally, in the Big 12 and now.
Well, they certainly can't count on recruiting locally.

Tom Osborne like Joe Paterno would find it hard to win in Big Ten today on an Elite Level. Miami crushed them in 2000, like LSU & USC crushed OU!

Today, BAMA, CLEMSON, OHIO STATE, MICHIGAN, ULOU would too, even if NU had their Teams back then today!

It's not that difficult for Nebraska to win in the Big Ten. They play in the West division, with Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, and Minnesota.

Why? Pitt would be a great choice. I mean heck if they took Rutgers then they can surely take Pitt.

I'd love to play Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State every year. Would be awesome.

You sir, are insane. Pitt is barely competing financially in the ACC. Pitt cannot compete with the behemoth stadiums and alumni bases of the B1G. Our enemy in State College is struggling--and they actually have the stadium and alumni base that compares well to the B1G profile. The ACC is the perfect P5 conference for the Panthers. As for Nebraska...lol...those corn-hole fans are getting what they deserve. The grass is not always greener. Hail to Pitt!

Nebraska has seldom been a great recruiting ranking program, it lived off of their 200 Roster Walk-On Program and ability to have Unlimited Non-Qualifiers under Tom Osborne for years. The Big Ten still allows "Unlimited Non-Qualifiers" even today so long as they sit out their freshmen year but can practice with the Team, this is why Nebraska went to the Big Ten. It still has not worked out that great either in the Big Ten for them too.
Excerpts:

The recruiting scoreboard tells us that over the last four cycles, Ohio State has signed 69 four- and five-star players, Michigan 51 and Nebraska just 17. That’s the competition in the Big Ten. When the talent gap is that large, should toughness really be the primary focus? The lack of local talent has always been an issue at Nebraska. As our fine Nebraska outlet Corn Nation detailed, the lack of recruits within a 500-mile radius is glaring................Staples notes the advantages Nebraska once had, like its innovative walk-on program ...... and strength and conditioning program, which was so far ahead of the national standard at the time ...... and its ability to take non- and partial-academic qualifiers and bring recruits to campus via private jets....Tim Layden of Sports Illustrated explained the partial- and non-qualifier rules that changed once Nebraska joined the Big XII two decades ago.......Still, what most threatens Nebraska's championship streak is the Big 12's policy on accepting partial and non-qualifiers under NCAA freshman eligibility guidelines. (A partial qualifier is a prospective athlete who meets only one of two minimum academic requirements--grade point average or standardized test score. The minimums are a 2.0 GPA with a 900 on the SAT or 21 on the ACT;or a 2.5 GPA with a 700 SAT or 17 ACT. A non-qualifier meets neither standard. If a school accepts a partial or non-qualifier, the athlete is ineligible for athletics for one year). On Dec. 20 the Big 12 presidents voted unanimously to limit each school to four partial qualifiers per year (two men,two women) and no more than one in a single sport. Non-qualifiers were excluded entirely.........................Layden’s article was titled "HEADED FOR A FALL? NEBRASKA MAY WIN ANOTHER NATIONAL TITLE, BUT THE DAYS WHEN SUCH A COLOSSUS RULED THE GAME ARE OVER" and it was prescient. I totally recommend reading it in its entirety because Layden nailed it.
LINK:
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/30/12691970/nebraska-recruiting-lacking-toughness-huskers

Last edited:
What I've heard, and pieced together, was that the Big Ten was vetting Pitt around that time as a candidate...2009-10....something like that although timelines for me are a little blurred. It was definitely a year or two prior or so to the ACC invite when Nebraska was eventually invited. It is also around this period, or just after, that Nordenberg sent a letter to the Big East presidents council saying it would pursue other opportunities if they presented themselves. Some of the Big Ten sniffing around different schools leaked out to the message boards. The Big Ten was vetting many schools, including Syracuse, Rutgers, Missouri, Maryland, possibly Texas...names you've heard bandied about before. Is there truth that the Big Ten wanted Pitt? That implies an actual invite was on the table. No, it is not true at all that an Big Ten invite was on the table. Is it true that Jamie preferred to stay in an eastern conference? Absolutely. Would that preference have blocked a switch? Absolutely not. If Pitt received a real Big Ten invite, it would have been gonzo.

The Big Ten, and all other conferences, are often talking to different schools to different degrees, often through intermediaries. However, they don't do it in the manner of an embarrassing public shittt show that the B12 seems to be unable to avoid. Sometimes these discussions are real, sometimes they are done to to shake the tree a little...hence view leaks of schools flirting with suspicion. It is my opinion that Pitt never had a real shot at the Big Ten as long as Joe Paterno was alive and especially once the Big Ten Network started to be a major factor in revenue generation which meant expanding in-footprint rates in new markets became a major financial factor in expansion considerations.
Thank you very much for the information!
This is the first time I got a straight story on this and it makes perfect sense!

It's not that difficult for Nebraska to win in the Big Ten. They play in the West division, with Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, and Minnesota.
I concur, but they have struggled doing it and not the same in the Big-12 until the Big-12 reduced their Non-Qualifiers to 4, from Unlimited, and why they left for Big Ten "Unlimited Non-Qualifiers" and still struggling to be in the Top 25 let alone The Top Ten or Top NCS Playoff Four!

Tom Osborne's Walk-On Program County Scholarships was a great way to get around 85 Scholarship Limits.Players could practice and build themselves up for 4 years and play in their 5th year, all paid for by Nebraska One Per County Scholarships and Boosters covered the expenses. When Big-12 ended "Unlimited Qualifiers" the Big Ten told him they are "Unlimited in the Big Ten" it explains why Penn State chose the Big Ten too? They once took a player that flunked high school 6 times but he still graduated from PSU?

LINK:
http://www.bleachercoaches.com/college-professional-sports/topic13669.html

Last edited:
Reactions: vietvet1
Pitt adds nothing to the B10. They already have our TV market covered by PSU.

If the Big Ten added a member, Pitt would not be in its Top 20 list of replacements. The entire ACC minus Wake Forest would be on that list plus Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, a bunch of Texas schools, etc.

Reactions: grote40

This. And even now, Pitt would not warrant a first look from the BIG if they did (and no I don't think for a second Nebraska is going anywhere) lose a member. They already have carriage in the state of PA. It brings zero dollars to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT