ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Nebraska wants to rejoin the Big 12, so can Pitt get into the Big 10??

Pitt is a great fit in the ACC but most importantly, they are the only ACC program of note for Ohio, PA and NY, NJ that has the kind of name and tradition to offer recruits in that area. Pitt is in Ohio with Narduzzi and in time, as PSU now is senn as a second tier Big Ten program to the locals, Pitt will pick up a couple WPIAL recruits. ND offers more competition now than PSU. UA is in spending big time with 144 million for a state of the art practice facility. Maryland will close whatever gap there is in the PSU/MD status.

BigTen money is great relative to Pitt, but the ACC still provides far more cash now that Pitt ever received from the BE. One name game at Heinz per year and one very good team with the ACC schedule will give pitt 55 K fannies that is better than many ACC teams. Pitt has to win to raise the ticket price but Pitt can win the coastal. PSU is unlikely to win the Big Ten east anytime soon.

Reactions: ameoba defense
Well, they certainly can't count on recruiting locally.

Perhaps that's true today, but not historically. Nebraska in their heyday drew heavily from in-state recruiting. Eric Crouch (Heisman). Dave Rimington, Dean Steinkuhler, Zach Wiegert. Lombardi Trophy winners. All home-grown. Scott Frost was a Nebraska kid. Basically all of Nebraska's running backs aside from Lawrence Phillips were home-grown, Omaha in particular. Ahman Green, Calvin Jones, Damon Benning, Cory Schlesinger, Clinton Childs. In fact, there was a saying: "Omaha I Backs." Nebraska would have never been Nebraska without in-state recruiting. Recruits like Phillips and Frazier merely put them over the top in terms of competing with the Florida teams (nearly a 3-peat in the mid-90s) and Colorado.

Pitt is a great fit in the ACC but most importantly, they are the only ACC program of note for Ohio, PA and NY, NJ that has the kind of name and tradition to offer recruits in that area. Pitt is in Ohio with Narduzzi and in time, as PSU now is senn as a second tier Big Ten program to the locals, Pitt will pick up a couple WPIAL recruits. ND offers more competition now than PSU. UA is in spending big time with 144 million for a state of the art practice facility. Maryland will close whatever gap there is in the PSU/MD status.

BigTen money is great relative to Pitt, but the ACC still provides far more cash now that Pitt ever received from the BE. One name game at Heinz per year and one very good team with the ACC schedule will give pitt 55 K fannies that is better than many ACC teams. Pitt has to win to raise the ticket price but Pitt can win the coastal. PSU is unlikely to win the Big Ten east anytime soon.
Preach brother!!!!
I don't know why some on this board just don't understand how impossible it would be to have to battle Michigan, and Ohio St. every year. We have landed in a great place. We couldn't have done better. Purdue fans get misty eyed talking about the good old Joe Tiller days. Do you know what the Joe Tiller days were? The Joe Tiller days were basically Pitt over the last 20 years. That's how bad it is trying to compete with the 100,000 seat monsters. I've enjoyed much of the last 20 years, but I'd hate to think it was our ceiling, let alone an anomaly.

Last edited:

Tom Osborne like Joe Paterno would find it hard to win in Big Ten today on an Elite Level. Miami crushed them in 2000, like LSU & USC crushed OU!

Today, BAMA, CLEMSON, OHIO STATE, MICHIGAN, ULOU would too, even if NU had their Teams back then today!

Minor correction: that Miami game was 2001 season.

This Clemson team over 1995 Nebraska? No way. Although full of criminals, that 1995 Nebraska team was on another level. People forget how great 1995 Florida was because of how thoroughly they were outplayed in the NC game. Maybe the Osborne style of play is outdated, but 1995 Florida was probably similar to teams of this era in terms of style & talent.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
"yc_ballcat, post: 1611473, member: 3782"]Minor correction: that Miami game was 2001 season.
Thanks I stand corrected! They destroyed NU and proved again some of the worse Heisman QBs & Other Players came from the Big-12, being Bust in the NFL!

This Clemson team over 1995 Nebraska?
BAMA last 5 Teams would beat all of Osborne's NCS Teams. Clemson last year and this year too! Penn State's 1994 Team too, it set an NCAA All Time Record on Offense that year.

No way. Although full of criminals, that 1995 Nebraska team was on another level. People forget how great 1995 Florida was because of how thoroughly they were outplayed in the NC game.
I grant the NU Teams 1994-95 were great they beat many teams by 2 or 3 TDs and Florida was super too and NU Destroyed them too, so I'll concede that 1995 Team.

But the Big Ten and PAC-10 at that time did not belong to the BCS Bowl setup and thus did not play #2 in 1994, but in 1995 no one either could have beaten NU!

Maybe the Osborne style of play is outdated, but 1995 Florida was probably similar to teams of this era in terms of style & talent.
Agree!

Preach brother!!!!
I don't know why some on this board just don't understand how impossible it would be to have to battle Michigan, and Ohio St. every year. We have landed in a great place. We couldn't have done better. Purdue fans get misty eyed talking about the good old Joe Tiller days. Do you know what the Joe Tiller days were? The Joe Tiller days were basically Pitt over the last 20 years. That's how bad it is trying to compete with the 100,000 seat monsters. I've enjoyed much of the last 20 years, but I'd hate to think it was our ceiling, let alone an anomaly.

Where is this big windfall we are seeing, in terms of wins and recruiting ?

To suggest Pitt is going to jump into the national discussion based on one year of a new coach is just not going to happen. Pitt has to win more and secondly, stability of the staff is mucho importante here. If Pitt lands Garbutt, Munford, Twyman. a good corner that is a good follow up class to last year. Pitt winning 7 to 9 games is certainly great and losing to OK St and NC in games that Pitt should have won NC and could have won Ok St is pretty damn good.

Narduzzi is addressing some serious talent liabilities like the secondary, QB and TE. Clark and Reeves next year, Ford, Hamlin. Coleman and Garner and Miller. Mac V, Bo Schneider, Kenny P certainly are far superior than what Pitt has had as to options for years. Rb has some studs and adding a really good RB in Sibley is terrific. ACC is a great sell and will be better as the football improves as a conference.

Perhaps that's true today, but not historically. Nebraska in their heyday drew heavily from in-state recruiting. Eric Crouch (Heisman). Dave Rimington, Dean Steinkuhler, Zach Wiegert. Lombardi Trophy winners. All home-grown. Scott Frost was a Nebraska kid. Basically all of Nebraska's running backs aside from Lawrence Phillips were home-grown, Omaha in particular. Ahman Green, Calvin Jones, Damon Benning, Cory Schlesinger, Clinton Childs. In fact, there was a saying: "Omaha I Backs." Nebraska would have never been Nebraska without in-state recruiting. Recruits like Phillips and Frazier merely put them over the top in terms of competing with the Florida teams (nearly a 3-peat in the mid-90s) and Colorado.
They got everyone in Nebraska, but they needed elite OOS state talent to actually win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT