ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Draft

Semantics aside, Edmunds was a bad pick. He may not be a bust by definition, but he was certainly a reach. At the time, I thought they might consider moving him to linebacker or something. With all the hybrid positions there are nowadays, there might be a position that can accommodate him, but starting safety ain't it (in my opinion).

Edmunds is not a bust, but he's very average. There isn't anything he does well.

Guys like him are a dime a dozen. He may get an offer, but it will be for 1/2 of what his option was.

While not a bust, not picking up the option on your first rounder implies not living up to expectations.
Then, again, the Steelers drafting a defensive back in the first round is a waste of a pick. They are utterly incapable of doing so effectively

It’s more like saying you aren’t worth the salary stipulated in your contract

It's also the opportunity cost of not getting a different, better, player. The Ravens and Browns drafted Pro Bowl players immediately after we drafted Edmunds. So in addition to only getting 3 turnovers out of Edmunds in 3,000+ NFL snaps, we let our two divisional rivals get significantly better players.

Look at the big picture. We used a 1st round pick on somebody we're breaking up with 4 years later despite having $100,000,000 to pay him, and in doing so we helped Baltimore make the playoffs likely for the 3rd time in a row. That's an indictment of our scouting and development.

It's also the opportunity cost of not getting a different, better, player. The Ravens and Browns drafted Pro Bowl players immediately after we drafted Edmunds. So in addition to only getting 3 turnovers out of Edmunds in 3,000+ NFL snaps, we let our two divisional rivals get significantly better players.

Look at the big picture. We used a 1st round pick on somebody we're breaking up with 4 years later despite having $100,000,000 to pay him, and in doing so we helped Baltimore make the playoffs likely for the 3rd time in a row. That's an indictment of our scouting and development.
The Steelers won the AFC North in 3 of the past 5 years including last year.

Your negativity is....unfortunately, predictable

OK Eyore.

I'm sorry facts are so scary for you.

I mean according to that tweet The Athletic is the one with the Steelers fourth highest. And I didn't see the B- there, but I can tell you that on the list of best drafts to worst drafts they had the Steelers 29th. Which most people would agree is not good. And I know that the C+ the Kiper gave them was tied with two other teams for the worst grade he gave out, so either 30th, 31st or 32nd. And those are two in the top half of that list.

It just bugs the crap out of you that most national people agree with me and not you.

The Steelers won the AFC North in 3 of the past 5 years including last year.

Your negativity is....unfortunately, predictable

And we probably would have won it all 5 if we didn't let the Ravens take Lamar Jackson.

You seem to not understand basic economic principles like trade offs and opportunity cost. It's very simple; we vastly overdrafted a below-average safety and aren't extending him despite a massive amount of cap room to do so. In fact I believe Edmunds is the first Steelers pick ever to not have their 5th year option picked up by the team. It was a widely panned pick at the time and it looks worse in hindsight.

I generally think that the Steelers make good moves but I'm going to call a spade a spade. Maybe learn admit when the Steelers made a mistake? You'll survive, the Sun will come up tomorrow, trust me.

And we probably would have won it all 5 if we didn't let the Ravens take Lamar Jackson.

You seem to not understand basic economic principles like trade offs and opportunity cost. It's very simple; we vastly overdrafted a below-average safety and aren't extending him despite a massive amount of cap room to do so. In fact I believe Edmunds is the first Steelers pick ever to not have their 5th year option picked up by the team. It was a widely panned pick at the time and it looks worse in hindsight.

I generally think that the Steelers make good moves but I'm going to call a spade a spade. Maybe learn admit when the Steelers made a mistake? You'll survive, the Sun will come up tomorrow, trust me.
Isn’t this massive amount of cap space you keep mentioning a meaningless/fictitious # at this point in time? Isn’t that just a function of the small # of guys under contract into next year or longer and doesn’t account for the many that will need to be resigned/extended.

Our cap space should be better next year than it normally is but let’s not act like we’re going to be one of the NFL teams with tons of cap space way more than most other NFL teams.

Isn’t this massive amount of cap space you keep mentioning a meaningless/fictitious # at this point in time? Isn’t that just a function of the small # of guys under contract into next year or longer and doesn’t account for the many that will need to be resigned/extended.

Our cap space should be better next year than it normally is but let’s not act like we’re going to be one of the NFL teams with tons of cap space way more than most other NFL teams.
Mostly, yes. There are only 32ish players under contract for 22 but a lot of their core contributors are under contract already. They need to extend TJ and maybe Minkah (we've got his 5 year), and re-sign DeCastro and maybe Haden. So a lot of the $100M will be eaten but with those but it will be a comparatively cash-flush year for the Steelers and that should be especially true if they have a rookie QB succeed Big Ben.

I

I mean according to that tweet The Athletic is the one with the Steelers fourth highest. And I didn't see the B- there, but I can tell you that on the list of best drafts to worst drafts they had the Steelers 29th. Which most people would agree is not good. And I know that the C+ the Kiper gave them was tied with two other teams for the worst grade he gave out, so either 30th, 31st or 32nd. And those are two in the top half of that list.

It just bugs the crap out of you that most national people agree with me and not you.
I would say the actual grades will be determined in 3 years from now based on impact

It’s kinda like folks hating on a very productive player because they think he makes too much money -
Ie Brandon Tanev and Matheson
Never understood why people begrudge anyone for getting paid what the market will yield.

I do understand the fan resentment and frustration toward a guy sucking up a huge chunk of a team's much needed cap space while under-performing and preventing his team from making critical roster moves. See Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers for example. Still. you can't blame a player for getting everything he could at the bargaining table.

Not running from anyone. In my opinion the Steelers draft this year is complete garbage. Why? In my opinion you never draft a half back in the 1st round unless you have a guy that is a once in a decade type player.

Especially, when you have a offensive line that some wouldn’t start for Pitt. Anyone involved in the game understands you could have Superman running the ball. If the line can’t block it’s a wasted pick.

For fun I’ll bet you a 100 bucks that Harris doesn’t get a thousand yards this year and next. Ready??
I will put my $200 up against your $100 on that

I would say the actual grades will be determined in 3 years from now based on impact

I agree. It is possible that in the end their draft is an overwhelming success, or a complete disaster. Just like everyone else.

What people are actually grading now is, in large part, the process. Which is what I have a problem with. It is as if they can't decide if they are all in for this year (which they keep saying, and which the Roethlisberger resigning shows), or it they are rebuilding for the future, which is what the Freiermuth pick and waiting to take an offensive lineman until the third round and then taking a center who has started four games in his career at the position are. That doesn't mean the Freiermuth or Green are bad players, it means that teams that can't figure out where they are in the "success cycle" tend to make less than ideal decisions.

I agree. It is possible that in the end their draft is an overwhelming success, or a complete disaster. Just like everyone else.

What people are actually grading now is, in large part, the process. Which is what I have a problem with. It is as if they can't decide if they are all in for this year (which they keep saying, and which the Roethlisberger resigning shows), or it they are rebuilding for the future, which is what the Freiermuth pick and waiting to take an offensive lineman until the third round and then taking a center who has started four games in his career at the position are. That doesn't mean the Freiermuth or Green are bad players, it means that teams that can't figure out where they are in the "success cycle" tend to make less than ideal decisions.

I don't know Joe I kind of looked at it as the Steelers getting their new Offensive Coordinator some weapons - a C & T made for his system, along with desperately needed upgrades at RB and TE.

I don't know Joe I kind of looked at it as the Steelers getting their new Offensive Coordinator some weapons - a C & T made for his system, along with desperately needed upgrades at RB and TE.

I understand that everyone doesn't agree with me, and that's OK. But I also think that both center and tackle were bigger needs THIS YEAR than tight end, and quite frankly I don't think it's even that close. Going into the draft, center might have even be a bigger black hole than running back. And that's saying a lot. But when you have two centers on the roster and one is a guy who wasn't even good enough to start in college and the other is a guy who couldn't get on the field while playing for two teams with the worst offensive lines in the league last year, that's a big problem.

The only thing about you that bugs me is your toxic mixture of ignorance and arrogance. You're a follower. It's OK. Not all of can think for ourselves

Well it’s mostly based on what they think you needed to draft based on what they think are your needs

Steelers picked players to address depth and needs and potentially a game breaker
Did I think a te in the second round was expected ? No
But I also understand they had a first round grade on him as took him since he wouldn’t be there in round 3.
And I’ll wager on him starting this season

Reactions: pittguy81
I understand that everyone doesn't agree with me, and that's OK. But I also think that both center and tackle were bigger needs THIS YEAR than tight end, and quite frankly I don't think it's even that close. Going into the draft, center might have even be a bigger black hole than running back. And that's saying a lot. But when you have two centers on the roster and one is a guy who wasn't even good enough to start in college and the other is a guy who couldn't get on the field while playing for two teams with the worst offensive lines in the league last year, that's a big problem.
But did those position position have value at round 1 and 2 compared to Najee and the nitter te?

i can’t believe there are really issues with the Najee pick do you ?
He’s the starting running back day 1 on a team who was unable to convert 3rd and 1 all year long on the ground

Reactions: Millerton24

The pundit class Sheeple are simply giving their opinions which carry no more weight than any other opinion. Given what the Steelers need, it made more sense to get the best RB in the draft than the 5th or 6th best OT....and the Delta between Green and the other Centers that went before him was not great.

Reactions: CougarClaws
The only thing about you that bugs me is your toxic mixture of ignorance and arrogance. You're a follower. It's OK. Not all of can think for ourselves

Ah, the irony of a guy whose idea of in depth analysis was "well the Stillers did it so it must be right" calling someone else a follower who can't think for themself.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

I tend to agree that I would have liked to gotten one of the top centers at 54. They need the RB and center picks to start ASAP. But they might have evaluated Green on par with Humphrey, Minerz, Myers et al. If that’s the case taking the best TE isn’t really looking to the future any more than taking Claypool last year. That is just BPA. This kid will see plenty of time just like McDonald did with Ebron. Any it wasn’t like Ebron set the world on fire either. Hell this kid could possibly start over butter-fingers Ebron sooner rather than later.

Ah, the irony of a guy whose idea of in depth analysis was "well the Stillers did it so it must be right" calling someone else a follower who can't think for themself.
Says the guy who quotes what talking heads like Mel Kiper think......talk about unintentional irony.....

But did those position position have value at round 1 and 2 compared to Najee and the nitter te?

He’s the starting running back day 1 on a team who was unable to convert 3rd and 1 all year long on the ground

My only issue with the Harris pick is the general idea that picking running backs in the first round is not usually a good idea. But as I said on Thursday I can see how they got to where they did with that pick. If the Vikings had not taken Darrisaw at 23 then I would have had a problem with picking Harris over him. But given the way that the picks fell Harris was probably the best choice left that they could have made. The ideal situation then would have been to trade down, but I never fault a team for not trading down because we have no idea what anyone offered to move to that spot, or even if anyone would have been interested.

On the other hand, I do think that guys like Humphrey or Myers had more value to them in the second round. Maybe even Jaylen Mayfield.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

But Mel Kiper and the other "experts" are set in stone that your don't draft a RB in the first round.....even though you had among the worst running game in the NFL

Says the guy who quotes what talking heads like Mel Kiper think......talk about unintentional irony.....

I get it. When the talking heads disagree with the fanboys the fanboys don't like them. When the talking heads agree with the fanboys the fanboys love them.

My only issue with the Harris pick is the general idea that picking running backs in the first round is not usually a good idea. But as I said on Thursday I can see how they got to where they did with that pick. If the Vikings had not taken Darrisaw at 23 then I would have had a problem with picking Harris over him. But given the way that the picks fell Harris was probably the best choice left that they could have made. The ideal situation then would have been to trade down, but I never fault a team for not trading down because we have no idea what anyone offered to move to that spot, or even if anyone would have been interested.

On the other hand, I do think that guys like Humphrey or Myers had more value to them in the second round. Maybe even Jaylen Mayfield.
And I get that
But if the 3rd rounder ends up being better than the 2nd round options - and we likely won’t know for a few years -

call me one who is very skeptical of conventional wisdom generally

Edmunds is not the 1st to not have the 5th year picked up. Jarvis Jones didn't have his 5th year picked up.

Yeah I'm going to trust the Steelers with their track record on Hall of Fame Centers. Green is next man up.

Yeah and if you follow the draft close and you look at who was available that met their needs - The Steelers did the right thing IMO. You noticed no hogs got picked the rest of the 1st Rd. And the TE was great value IMO, and also desperately needed.

Reactions: pittguy81
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT