ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Draft

He has a ton of analytical factors that say he's the best RB in this class. The biggest ones that I look at are:

- breakout age: capturing the backfield when you're a younger back over older, more developed competition, is strongly indicative of being a good player at the next level. Etienne broke out at 18, Harris at 21, that's a huge difference;
- receiving market share: good NFL backs need to be able to catch the ball, Etienne is in the 86th percentile all time;
- speed score: weight adjusted speed, being an NFL RB requires a level of physicality that isn't necessary at all positions. Here, ETN is in the 80th percentile.

Etienne captured the job earlier, is a better receiver, and is likely faster adjusted for size (we don't have speed scores for Harris bc he refused to run). He's also a full year younger than Najee so his best year didn't come when he was 23 years old against a bunch of 20 year olds.

I'm not a huge film guy. I think Najee's film is great (Etienne's film is also very good), but I usually weigh the analytics first and those are very strongly in Etienne's favor.
These are just factors, they're not the end all be all of the evaluation. I'm just pointing out that one dude was 18 and beat 20-22 year olds (and was in the top 86% all time in capturing targets despite the fact that all of his teammates were NFL WR) than a 21-22 year old who beat younger players and who didn't test at his pro day.
Harris didn’t run at Bala’s pro day be
Shaun Wade got abused every game I watched. The Steelers starting OL is still bad. That still needs to be addressed. Hudson would look good.
the Bama game cost Wade a whole lot of money. He was a sure first rounder until that.

I don't hate the Najee pick as much as I did Thursday night. He's an excellent player - which I've been consistent in saying - I would just rather have an amazing OL and average RB than a great RB and an average (maybe we get there this year) OL.

Disagree that Najee's window isn't right now, however. That was my point with breakout age. Najee didn't dominate until he was almost 22. He's going to be 23.5 at kickoff this year so he's a year and a half older than Cam Akers, who the Rams took in the 2nd last year and might make the Pro Bowl this year. RBs are basically all toast by 28 (at least if we're talking playing at a Pro Bowl level). Given Najee's advanced age headed into the NFL, he doesn't have the luxury of a few years to figure it out and neither do the Steelers. I don't see him getting a 2nd year contract in Pittsburgh because he'll be almost 29 after the Steelers put the 5th year option on him.
You’re overcooking this age thing. Not sure why you’re so hung up on it. Najee will be a Day 1 starter for the Steelers. He’s a smart player who will pick up what he’s being taught and is physically an NFL player already. He was the most NFL ready RB available-which is why he was the #1 RB on every team’s draft board. Good pick for the Steelers. Nobody in any draft is a lock to be a productive NFL player but he’s as safe a bet as you’ll find.

Reactions: TD_6082
Doesn't anybody remember laughter??

E0UrtxOXEAQmtmI

Reactions: HOF Coach
So surprised a guy who looks as sure a bet as Tyman is still available. Hope the Steelers grab him.It’s unfortunate that they missed on Weaver. He looks to have more upside than th DE from Wisconsin they ended up with- hoping I am missing something in my assessment.

But, of course. When one of your starting CBs is 97 years old, you cut another one, your nickel back signs elsewhere in free agency and another CB is charged with sexual assault, it makes perfect sense to draft a Punter.

But, of course. When one of your starting CBs is 97 years old, you cut another one, your nickel back signs elsewhere in free agency and another CB is charged with sexual assault, it makes perfect sense to draft a Punter.
What kind of a CB do you get in the 7th round?

Reactions: CCHS82
Yeah because that 7th round CB is the golden ticket..........

Not that Kiper is the be all that ends all, but he gave the Steelers a C+ (lowest in their division) and his comment on Freiermuth was “won’t give them much as a blocker”.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Not that Kiper is the be all that ends all, but he gave the Steelers a C+ (lowest in their division) and his comment on Freiermuth was “won’t give them much as a blocker”.
The analysis seems to be all over the place on Freiermuth. Some say he’s the best blocking tight end in the draft, others say he can’t block at all.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
They didn't get great draft grades last year either and had what turns out a pretty good draft, if you count fitzpatrick it was a great draft.

Reactions: TheChair
Not surprising Tomlin and the Steelers management has only won 2 playoff games in 10 years. The 3rd was given to him by Cincy’s linebacker.

You think they would be smart enough to know you never draft a running back in the first round. Especially, when your offensive line is a total mess.

They should of used their first two picks to beef up the line. Then draft a back in the later rounds. Like the half back from UNC.

Unless the running back is a once in a decade type player. You never waste a first rounder on them. Since it’s the offensive line that makes the running back.

In all the years I have watched the NFL. Only Barry Sanders and a very few others flourished without a good offensive line.

Just look at most of the good backs in today’s game. Most wasn’t drafted in the first round

Not surprising Tomlin and the Steelers management has only won 2 playoff games in 10 years. The 3rd was given to him by Cincy’s linebacker.

You think they would be smart enough to know you never draft a running back in the first round. Especially, when your offensive line is a total mess.

They should of used their first two picks to beef up the line. Then draft a back in the later rounds. Like the half back from UNC.

Unless the running back is a once in a decade type player. You never waste a first rounder on them. Since it’s the offensive line that makes the running back.

In all the years I have watched the NFL. Only Barry Sanders and a very few others flourished without a good offensive line.

Just look at most of the good backs in today’s game. Most wasn’t drafted in the first round
I respectfully disagree. They didn't take just any old RB. They took the kind of RB you don't find in later rounds. You can't fix your line in one draft pick but you can fix your RB situation that way. Think of it this way. In the last 50 years the Steelers have gone to the AFC championship game approx. 13 times, give or take. the total number of tackles on those teams that were first round picks is exactly zero. the upgrade in the Steelers run game will be apparent when you start seeing them successfully run in short yardage situations. Second and two. Third and one. First and goal at the one. They have been abysmal in those situations. That is going to change now

Reactions: TheChair
The amount of second guessing among fans on social media of an organization that has the best track record at the Draft over 50 years is astounding. I have no problem with the criticism of Tomlin’s game day coaching and staff make up, but they hit on the draft 9 times out of 10.

I don't know. It's not like they used a top 10 pick on a RB. They used a bottom third pick on him. I think the Steelers knew they were taking their C in round 3 and a TE who could supposedly help block and make other things happen. They are going for a dynamic offense using Harris and the TE prominently, and if they are going to get a lot of passing yards from those two.

Reactions: Ski11585
I respectfully disagree. They didn't take just any old RB. They took the kind of RB you don't find in later rounds. You can't fix your line in one draft pick but you can fix your RB situation that way. Think of it this way. In the last 50 years the Steelers have gone to the AFC championship game approx. 13 times, give or take. the total number of tackles on those teams that were first round picks is exactly zero. the upgrade in the Steelers run game will be apparent when you start seeing them successfully run in short yardage situations. Second and two. Third and one. First and goal at the one. They have been abysmal in those situations. That is going to change now
That is an absolutely amazing stat. Are you sure? Not even one?

Was not Leon Searcy a first that was on an AFC Championship Game team? He may have left Pittsburgh right before or after they went that far, but I think he played in the Super Bowl with Pittsburgh (he started, correct?).

The amount of second guessing among fans on social media of an organization that has the best track record at the Draft over 50 years is astounding. I have no problem with the criticism of Tomlin’s game day coaching and staff make up, but they hit on the draft 9 times out of 10.
There are few teams that draft well generally year in and year out, but the Steelers are clearly one of them. And, it has been mostly that way for 50 years now.

No one in this thread has talked about this much, but I really like Johnson, Loudermilk and Roche for how they fit in with what Pittsburgh does. It was interesting to see Tomlin and Colbert talk a lot about Loudermilk and how he could be essentially a plug and play for them. Johnson is a premium athlete and Roche can play the game (hopefully, they will be able to stand him up).

Reactions: JD1976
Ambercrombie, Mendenhall, Worley says different

Ambercrombie, Mendenhall, Worley says different

Abercrombie? That was 40 years ago. They have had 40 drafts since and 15 of their first rounders since have played in Pro Bowls. Three are in Canton, and two or three more will be joining them or in serious consideration. No doubt they’ve had some busts. But the list of organizations that draft as well as the Steelers over that period, or even the last 10-15 years is pretty damn short.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT