ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Draft

Perhaps the Jags knew that they weren't going to get another shot at a top RB and since they have the first and 13th picks in round 2, the first pick in round 3, two each in rounds 4 and 5, they will be able to address their needs. I'm sure they will address OL in round 2 with the added depth there.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Perhaps the Jags knew that they weren't going to get another shot at a top RB and since they have the first and 13th picks in round 2, the first pick in round 3, two each in rounds 4 and 5, they will be able to address their needs. I'm sure they will address OL in round 2 with the added depth there.
Yeah, there might be a little run on OL early round 2 by teams looking to get protection for the QBs taken in round 1. If that's the case, the Steelers may end up taking a LB or CB.

Ya at the end of the day, Urban Meyer is one of the best college football coaches ever and I'm just a fan. There's every reason to trust him and not me. And my opinion on this is untestable, since we can't examine an alternate reality where the Jags took a different player.

I think Etienne is a great player and TBH he was my #1 RB in the class. I think he will excel in Jacksonville. I just think that all decisions have to be considered with respect to the trade offs and I don't think the Jags made the most efficient use of their resources with that pick. They definitely got a good football player and improved their offense (as did the Steelers).
Etienne really I am sorry, doesn't impress me much.

To be honest, the Steelers hurt themselves by not signing a RB in free agency. No idea why you leave that hole open when there were plenty of affordable guys available that would have easily fit in their cap. They could have easily addressed the need, traded back, and still got the same OL they SHOULD pick up plus add more picks. I’m really skeptical that you’re going to draft more than one guy who can walk in and start unless they add picks.

By the way, there’s no guarantee that Tomlin picks an OL-man next.
Rookie contract is cheaper ?
The top 3 in the draft better than the free agents

The Steelers need to take the best available OL with their next two picks, and one of the picks needs to be an OT. You can get a TE later in the draft.

He has a ton of analytical factors that say he's the best RB in this class. The biggest ones that I look at are:

- breakout age: capturing the backfield when you're a younger back over older, more developed competition, is strongly indicative of being a good player at the next level. Etienne broke out at 18, Harris at 21, that's a huge difference;
- receiving market share: good NFL backs need to be able to catch the ball, Etienne is in the 86th percentile all time;
- speed score: weight adjusted speed, being an NFL RB requires a level of physicality that isn't necessary at all positions. Here, ETN is in the 80th percentile.

Etienne captured the job earlier, is a better receiver, and is likely faster adjusted for size (we don't have speed scores for Harris bc he refused to run). He's also a full year younger than Najee so his best year didn't come when he was 23 years old against a bunch of 20 year olds.

I'm not a huge film guy. I think Najee's film is great (Etienne's film is also very good), but I usually weigh the analytics first and those are very strongly in Etienne's favor.

To be honest, the Steelers hurt themselves by not signing a RB in free agency. No idea why you leave that hole open when there were plenty of affordable guys available that would have easily fit in their cap. They could have easily addressed the need, traded back, and still got the same OL they SHOULD pick up plus add more picks. I’m really skeptical that you’re going to draft more than one guy who can walk in and start unless they add picks.

By the way, there’s no guarantee that Tomlin picks an OL-man next.
Agree I was hoping they would sign a veteran rb who would be solid and rebuild the ol with this draft. That's a lot tougher now, but once they didn't sign any proven rbs it made it absolutely necessary they got a good one in this draft.

Agree I was hoping they would sign a veteran rb who would be solid and rebuild the ol with this draft. That's a lot tougher now, but once they didn't sign any proven rbs it made it absolutely necessary they got a good one in this draft.
I think someone like Adrian Petersen could still be an option. The last couple teams he’s been on have featured rookie running backs, so it could be a good fit.

He averaged 7.2 yards a carry on 686 carries with 70 rushing TDs in a P5 league. Oh, and throw in 102 catches at 11.3 yards per catch for another 8 TDs. I read somewhere he had like 65 plays from scrimmage of 20 plus yards vs. 25 for Harris. He's a big play waiting to happen anytime he touches the ball.

I like Harris, but he's a different back and not as explosive as Etienne. Both are really good backs.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
He averaged 7.2 yards a carry on 686 carries with 70 rushing TDs in a P5 league. Oh, and throw in 102 catches at 11.3 yards per catch for another 8 TDs. I read somewhere he had like 65 plays from scrimmage of 20 plus yards vs. 25 for Harris. He's a big play waiting to happen anytime he touches the ball.

I like Harris, but he's a different back and not as explosive as Etienne. Both are really good backs.
Yeah- he’s Marshall Faulk in college and if he’s a bust I’d be shocked

My thoughts on Harris.

1. I thought he was the best back in the draft. You can't look at him purely as RB. He's not only a true 3 down back but you can split him out just as much as you keep him behind center. There is big value in that. Maybe more value in that than drafting a pure WR who only catches the ball.

2. I think Najee does everything extremely well. He runs with tremendous balance and vision. He's got good power and can make the OL "right". I've seen him stalemate rushers in the pass game. He can anchor very well. He's an intelligent player. His style of play shows it. He understands leverage in blocking and tackling.

Things I worry about.

I don't think he's a homerun hitter. It was reported he has 1 play in which he gained over 40 yards in his career. The SEC is tough but the NFL is the SEC on HGH and Test. I don't know how much we'll see him breaking off big runs in that capacity. Someone on this thread said he's a 4.4 guy. I think he's more of a 4.6 guy.

I worry a bit about injuries. He was nicked up early in his career. He runs like Payton used to. For whatever reason, Payton could do it at 200lbs and guys these days are out for weeks.

Finally, if a prime Leveon Bell at age 21 was available in the draft at 24, would you draft him considering who was available? Speaking of Bell, his game reminds me very much of Bell's.
Being able to consistently get 2 yards on 3rd and 1 and 5 or 6 yards when the hole is only good for two yards is why I love Najee. There aren’t that many home runs in the Pro games today.

Reactions: Millerton24
The Jaguars also took a RB in the first round.

It's probably 10 or 20 to one busts vs good players for round 7 or free agent RBs. The Steelers can't wait for a lottery ticket when the cupboard is bare, and they want to win now.

RB is a position where the guy can produce at a high level right away. OL typically is not. I think there are other factors in their decision that need to be considered.
Horrible pick, they have a good RB
He has a ton of analytical factors that say he's the best RB in this class. The biggest ones that I look at are:

- breakout age: capturing the backfield when you're a younger back over older, more developed competition, is strongly indicative of being a good player at the next level. Etienne broke out at 18, Harris at 21, that's a huge difference;
- receiving market share: good NFL backs need to be able to catch the ball, Etienne is in the 86th percentile all time;
- speed score: weight adjusted speed, being an NFL RB requires a level of physicality that isn't necessary at all positions. Here, ETN is in the 80th percentile.

Etienne captured the job earlier, is a better receiver, and is likely faster adjusted for size (we don't have speed scores for Harris bc he refused to run). He's also a full year younger than Najee so his best year didn't come when he was 23 years old against a bunch of 20 year olds.

I'm not a huge film guy. I think Najee's film is great (Etienne's film is also very good), but I usually weigh the analytics first and those are very strongly in Etienne's favor.
He captured the job earlier because Bama has more talented backs. (That was easy) Najee without a doubt runs harder. 4th and 1, I give it to Najee
Give me Najee over Etienne

Reactions: Ski11585
I'm feeling a LB coming in round 2, especially if the OLB from Georgia is still there.

I'd have felt much better with a draft of Stevens and Humphrey or something. Incredible that they haven't taken an o-lineman yet. Like they think their problems will go away if they ignore them.

I mean, I don’t mind the Friermuth pick but I don’t think I would’ve picked over Humphrey. Looks like they’re trying to get Big Ben some weapons.

It makes sense to draft the big money positions early to me. You can sign a competent RB and a competent tight end every year for very little money. You can't sign a tackle for anything less than a king's ransom.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
So will every Joe Yinzer scapegoat Fat Preirmuth the way they scapegoated James Conner the past few years now?

If you were going to pick a tight end, why wouldn't you pick one that does the things well that the tight end you already have on your roster doesn't. Now the Stillers have two catch first tight ends and no tight ends that can block to save their lives. Or I guess I should say to save Ben Roethlisberger's life.

Of course a tight end that was more a blocker could have been had far, far later in the draft. Which is why this is a dumb pick.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If anybody watched Eric Erbron have balls bounce off his hands like bullets bouncing off of Superman, this is a good pick for the Steelers.

It was obvious they had him with a high grade and didn't think twice when he was still available to pick...thinking he would be off the board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT