ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Draft

Having the ideal center fall into their laps and skip him for a “good” TE is sinful. Three rounds in and they’re still looking to pick their first OL. I think Colbert has lost his fastball.
In fairness I’m sure his plan was to get a tackle but there was a real run on them before their 55th pick. If that didn’t happen, this underwhelming TE pick wouldn’t have happened in round 2.

In fairness I’m sure his plan was to get a tackle but there was a real run on them before their 55th pick.

The two centers on their roster are a guy who wasn't good enough to start in college and who was mediocre at best last season when he got thrown into the games, and a guy who signed as a free agent with a team with one of the worst lines in the league and got cut because he couldn't get on the field, who then got picked up by the team with perhaps the worst line in the league and he couldn't even get on the field for them.

They could have picked a guy who is likely to be vastly superior to what they currently have on their roster, and instead they went for what will probably be a small upgrade at a less important position.

It seems that Steeler fans are more worried about the OL than the Steelers. They must believe the draft pool is so deep for OL players they have decided to address other needs,. If the Browns had not moved up and drafted Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, I believe the Steelers would have drafted him and the Browns knew it... The Steelers are sticking to their draft board...

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
If the Browns had not moved up and drafted Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, I believe the Steelers would have drafted him and the Browns knew it

I was thinking when it got to about a half dozen spots before they picked that if he somehow kept falling they would take him with that pick.

Reactions: Dan1911
I think that's the best case scenario for the 3rd round. Unfortunately I don't think he's going to be there. But we can hope.
Yep. Two centers went after the Steelers. And the vikes have three picks before the Steelers. They’ll undoubtedly take another.

I don't have anger issues. It's hard to be angry when you are laughing at someone who is so intellectually bankrupt.

So far, your whole argument for why it's a good pick is that the Stillers made it, so it must be a good pick. Can you really not go any deeper than that? Like I said, if the sum total of your "analysis" is "the Stillers did it so it must be right", then why would you even bother?
You give your Yinzer pedigree away with the "Stiller" go to. The Steeler offense needs a bigger target who can catch the ball when needed and provide a Red zone target. This guy provides that in spades and has the size and strength to help in the running game as well.

I thought the Steelers would take a blocking TE with upside like Tommy Tremble in round 4 or something. I don't know how Friermuth pairs with Ebron. I think he's got long term upside but they need a blocking TE with this line.

You give your Yinzer pedigree away with the "Stiller" go to. The Steeler offense needs a bigger target who can catch the ball when needed and provide a Red zone target. This guy provides that in spades and has the size and strength to help in the running game as well.
Didn't they use a second round pick last year for their Red zone target? Claypool had double digit TDs as a rookie and has better hands than Freezermuth.

Maybe...Just spit balling...The Steelers realize they are not going to the Super Bowl anytime soon... So in that case they are trying to stick to their board and get as many good players as they can regardless of "need". Now maybe the fans need to grasp that reality.... Just saying...

Reactions: Ski11585
Actually my use of "Stillers" is to mock yinzers such as yourself who think that it isn't even possible for the Steelers to make a mistake.
Who in the hell could possibly think that??? Yinzers always think the steelers make mistakes, actually it's way over the top that they think they make mistakes

Reactions: pittguy81
Maybe...Just spit balling...The Steelers realize they are not going to the Super Bowl anytime soon... So in that case they are trying to stick to their board and get as many good players as they can regardless of "need". Now maybe the fans need to grasp that reality.... Just saying...
They don't believe their not going to the Superbowl. R u kidding? If they believed that they would've never kept Ben.

Tremble is a far better blocking TE and Hunter Long is a better overall TE.
I just read an article that he is the most complete Y TE in the draft. Nasty in line blocker with ability to move defenders. As a pass catcher he moves the chains.
Im just saying they picked him for his blocking first.

Solid picks so far that can (need to) start. Would have liked to have gotten a starting OL instead of TE but that run starting with Jenkins probably had 4-6 guys that they might have taken go off the board. I do t mind taking the TE if that’s the case. Bad part is that most of the top tackles are gone. Positive is... that most other teams that needed tackles already took them?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Ben gives them the possibility to be a playoff team, nothing more.

He needs to show he can get the ball downfield again or else the Steelers are doomed to repeat their performance the final two months of last year. If it’s more of the quick release 5 yard crossing passes over and over again it will be a long year, the NFL is all about adjustments and the league caught up to that in a big way in the second half of the season.

That's a good point, except in 2013 Eddie Lacy wasn't first team All Pro, LeSean McCoy was:

McCoy: 314-1607, 5.1 ypc, 9 tds, 1 fumble, 52 catches, 539 yards, 10.4 ypc, 2 tds
Lynch: 301-1257, 4.2 ypc, 12 tds, 4 fumbles, 36 catches, 316 yards, 8.8 ypc, 2 tds

One of those is way better than the other.

And to complete the comparison:

Charles: 259-1287, 5.0 ypc, 12 tds, 4 fumbles, 70 catches, 693 yards, 9.9 ypc, 7 tds

That line is better too.

Now do me a favor and describe the scheme both Shady and Charles played in versus Lynch.

There was a time when a prime McCoy saw more 6/7 man boxes than any RB in the league. He had Chip Kelly running his 10/11 personnel up tempo system with Vick at QB and Desean Jackson at WR running a wide open scheme. Jamaal Charles ran in Andy Reid's wide open system that he implemented in Philly just a few years before. It became the archetype for what he runs now. 10/11 personnel.

Lynch played in a smash mouth downhill attack that constantly saw 9/10 man boxes. He didn't have the luxury of seeing a 6/7 man box because no one was scared of what the Seahawks had outside.

Lynch was the motor that ran that offense and was the driver for a Super Bowl winning offense - that line is way better than any stat you've described.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT