ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Draft

The biggest concerning thing is Cleveland. They have figured this draft thing out appears, the no longer have these head scratcher picks. They nail every choice and Baltimore has always been like that. Cincy is still, well Cincy. They move up in Rd 2 to get an OL that likely might be there for them in Rd 4.

I agree, I think that the Browns are having a great draft.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Yeah
People tend to judge based on who they think they need positionally rather than quality

I think I read they haven’t taken an ol in the first round the last 20 years while winning a lot
Pouncey and DeCastro were 1st rd picks. But that being said, it is not like the Steelers are reaching for guys, all 3 were slotted right around that pick on most draft boards. You draft for need to a point...but when you put your blinders on and just draft simply for need, then you reach and end up with someone like Troy Edwards.

Pouncey and DeCastro were 1st rd picks. But that being said, it is not like the Steelers are reaching for guys, all 3 were slotted right around that pick on most draft boards. You draft for need to a point...but when you put your blinders on and just draft simply for need, then you reach and end up with someone like Troy Edwards.
Gotcha must have been ot was the stat

If a couple of these corners are still there when they pick again in this round I wouldn't be surprised if they took one of them.

From CBS Sports:

Dan Moore Jr. OL, TXAM​

Height: 6-5, Weight: 315

More patience for the Steelers pays off. This is a starting OT found in Round 4. Very long with effortless power. Good luck bull rushing him. Just needs to get a tick quicker. (Chris Trapasso).

From CBS Sports:

Dan Moore Jr. OL, TXAM​

More patience for the Steelers pays off. This is a starting OT found in Round 4. Very long with effortless power. Good luck bull rushing him. Just needs to get a tick quicker. (Chris Trapasso).

Interesting. Everything I've read on him has him projecting to a backup who may have been available later. Hopefully they can coach him up to his potential.

From CBS Sports:

Dan Moore Jr. OL, TXAM​

Pick makes sense for sure. The OT position is weak and had to be addressed.

Sounds like physical and technique are good - just needs to finish blocks when engaged .
That’s a good base to build on
Actually engaging on a block is an improvement for the stillers

I've read his hand placement causes him problems and he's much better in zone.

I'll take Shaun Wade here. He can play in the slot. I'd label the draft a solid B if we can do that.

Problem is our division rivals draft better than us these days.

I'll take Shaun Wade here. He can play in the slot. I'd label the draft a solid B if we can do that.

Problem is our division rivals draft better than us these days.
Wade got punked on a regular basis by good, college receivers.

You are correct about other division teams passing us up.

Everyone breathing easier now with good linemen with last 2 picks ?

Green was a good pick, and there is a really good chance he starts next year. Even with picking Moore I think (barring injury) that your starting tackles next year are Okorafor and Banner. And that will be a total of one start at their respective positions in their careers. That has to be a worry.

But the tackles didn't fall the right way for one of them to be a good value with their earlier picks, and you can't really do anything about that except trade up, and that isn't always your choice.

Wade got punked on a regular basis by good, college receivers.

You are correct about other division teams passing us up.

I believe they mentioned his assignments having changed this past year, to where he was more on an island. Doesn't seem to be his game, but he could replace Hilton with Sutton playing the outside this year.

Green was a good pick, and there is a really good chance he starts next year. Even with picking Moore I think (barring injury) that your starting tackles next year are Okorafor and Banner. And that will be a total of one start at their respective positions in their careers. That has to be a worry.

But the tackles didn't fall the right way for one of them to be a good value with their earlier picks, and you can't really do anything about that except trade up, and that isn't always your choice.
Which is likely true of any ot picked after the 1st

Which is likely true of any ot picked after the 1st

I disagree. Teven Jenkins would have been an improvement over what they have. Liam Eichenberg too. Possibly a couple of the other second round guys as well. But those guys weren't worth a first and they were gone before they picked in the second, so, like I said, they would have had to have traded up.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Like I said, that makes you the typical yinzer.

If the only thing that you can possibly contribute is "well they're the Stillers, so they must be right", then what's the point of you posting at all?
The expression “typical yinzer” is a redundancy of the yinzer variety.

A lot of people have been mentioning this on Twitter, but the last two linemen picks appear to in response to the Steelers shifting to a zone blocking scheme. Every pick so far was used to fit Canada’s offense while filling a need. I like it.
Last time the Steelers went to a zone-blocking scheme about 15 plays into the season DeCastro took out Pouncey.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I guess I will stick with seeing the actual player and the variables he was working with and against.

If analytics were the primary factor in player evaluation - NFL teams could saves of money in not scouting players via film and in person. The could probably cut 1/2 of their staff.

A lot of them should, TBH. Analytics said that Henry Ruggs would not live up to the 11th pick and I'm not sure he was even the 11th best WR in that class. Same with Kadarious Toney this year. The analytics said that Mahomes was better than Mitch Trubisky. Economics and game theory strongly suggested that Saquon Barkley was a good football player but a terrible pick at #2.

I don't think the numbers are the be all end all of evaluation by any means. But it's little surprise to me at least that some of the teams who most eschew a multi-disciplinary approach to roster management - and instead rely on the opinion of the "football guys" - are among the biggest underachievers in the league (looking at you Raiders).

I do not think that you can look at football completely through the Moneyball/analytic type lenses. And, even then, there are variables that you cannot quite capture.

If they look at Najee Harris and see something like Derrick Henry or prime Le'Veon Bell, it is easy to say that they should make that pick. Guys like that are not easy to find and they make huge differences on the field. They change the game and the fortunes of everyone around them.

I look at this draft for Pittsburgh and I generally think that they have done the right thing. The only other options they had were to try to trade back and get more overall value over a course of drafts. But, considering it appears that they liked the TE from PSU enough to consider him much higher, and Harris was clearly their identified guy, they have hit the notes that they have wanted to hit.

You can disagree with their evaluation of their situation, but it looks like they have been true to themselves. They seemingly think the RB position was more issue than the OL position (though it needed to be addressed) and they saw Freiermuth as a guy that fell and will be a long-time starter for them.

As far as next year goes, if he goes 800 and 300, that is fine. First round picks (and really all picks) are to be measured over that first contract (and longer), not just their first year.

I don't hate the Najee pick as much as I did Thursday night. He's an excellent player - which I've been consistent in saying - I would just rather have an amazing OL and average RB than a great RB and an average (maybe we get there this year) OL.

Disagree that Najee's window isn't right now, however. That was my point with breakout age. Najee didn't dominate until he was almost 22. He's going to be 23.5 at kickoff this year so he's a year and a half older than Cam Akers, who the Rams took in the 2nd last year and might make the Pro Bowl this year. RBs are basically all toast by 28 (at least if we're talking playing at a Pro Bowl level). Given Najee's advanced age headed into the NFL, he doesn't have the luxury of a few years to figure it out and neither do the Steelers. I don't see him getting a 2nd year contract in Pittsburgh because he'll be almost 29 after the Steelers put the 5th year option on him.

Last edited:

This is a self-fulfilling stat. It's all about opportunity. Pretty much anyone who gets 250+ touches can rush for 1,000 yards. Being a 1st or 2nd round RB means you get all of the opportunities because the team invested so much in you that they have to play you.

Hell, Trent Richardson rushed for 1,000 yards as a top 3 pick and he did it at 3.6 yards per carry lol.

Harris has more treadlife at this point thanks to runaway games. Dabo abused Etienne (wouldnt you) and kept starters in long after games were decided.

Strongly disagree. Clemson is known for playing everyone. Last year they had games where over 100 players saw game snaps in a single game. That's absurd. Do we even have 100 players on our roster?

And Tee Higgins's percentage numbers were pretty bad because Clemson always pulled him after halftime. If you only looked at games decided by 1 score, Higgins was as good as Jefferson and Chase.

I can't believe the rancor over the Steelers draft. They drafted 3 really good players. Really good. I know they needed OL, but at 24, really......even Tevin Jenkins had questions, Landon Dickerson was a huge risk....

I thought the prudent move and have said it all along, was to trade down and get an xtra 3rd and 5th, and select your OT/OC, then using those picks move up a bit in Rd 2 to take a RB. But guys, this year was different. So many speak to how many good RB's fall into Rd 2, this year was different. There were 3, and then a huge dropoff. And the 3rd went with pick 36. The Steelers had to get a good back. They did.

I thought for sure they would have drafted Humphrey in Rd 2. But Freiermuth on some boards was a 1st rd pick. So he was not a reach. The Illinois guy I identified as a possible 3rd rd pick for the Steelers, I saw him ranked around 84th overall, and the Steelers selected him at 87 so again, value not a reach.

They definitely need to take an OT.

The biggest concerning thing is Cleveland. They have figured this draft thing out appears, the no longer have these head scratcher picks. They nail every choice and Baltimore has always been like that. Cincy is still, well Cincy. They move up in Rd 2 to get an OL that likely might be there for them in Rd 4.

Ya Cleveland is freaking crushing it. They might have the best defense in the NFL now. I've clowned on them for years and years but I really think they've turned a corner. Whoever they hired in the last 3-4 years is really an improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT