ADVERTISEMENT

The Steelers have given up

i miss the good ol days of steelers when we had guys like this as leaders in our locker room.

Again
To recap
The discussion was regarding players not being retained because they go big money free agent deals elsewhere .
Are you suggesting Tomlin is making that call ?
Because that’s crazy

As stated the coaches do go with the scouts during draft prep- no doubt

How the players are signed and to manage the cap are the GM ultimately.

I’d Tomlin was actually the GM- he’d actually have that title - like belichick does
That’s not entirely accurate on the discussion being about big money free agent deals.

Your reply stating roster decisions are the GM not the HC was in a reply you made to a poster specifically listing the Harrison, Ingram and Blount decisions.

Except there is no evidence that say - Harrison and Dupree were let go because Tomlin wanted that
Or Hilton or a host of others
Those are salary cap casualty decisions -
And guess who makes those ?
Hint - it’s not the HC
And if you think those decisions weren’t made without the head coaches approval your dumber than you’ve demonstrated

Of course the cap is a consideration you clown. But the roster decisions to stay within the cap most certainly are singed off on by the HC

He doesn’t have to sign off on it
Only Rooney does

This nonsense that Tomlin wants weakness in his coaching staff is aome
Tin foil level stuff .
Then why did he reach out to Flores himself ?
So tomlin didn’t hire Canada Fichtner butler and the rest of the clown show coordinators ? You’re doubling down on stupid which. You’re pretty good at. If his hands were tied as much as you claim (he makes no roster decisions. And doesn’t hire his assistants). He’d have left for greener pastures a long time ago. After all, he’s so great there’d be a bidding war for his services. Yet he chooses to stay with a team that essentially hand cuffs him

Well I wasn’t saying he has been doing a bang up job with whatever contributions he’s made to personnel decisions, I’m just saying that Tomlin and any other HC should have some involvement in personnel decisions.

My suspicion is that any organization where it’s 100% GM or 100% HC is likely a dysfunctional organization.
The extent to which the HC had a say in these decisions varies from org to org. You’re right in that the. Better run orgs it’s a collaborative effort but even then a GM is unlikely to force a decision down the Head coaches throat if they disagree.

In some cases where the coach has a much higher profile (Andy Reid, BB. And MT) there’s no doubt the HC carries much more weight Again these guys are out front and their career is on the line. Why shouldn’t their input be weighed more

We definitely need OL and made that a bigger priority but your post here is loudly justifying to some extent why they drafted a RB in the 1st round. If that was the ‘deepest O-line draft in ages’ they likely figured they could hold off and get quality OL later.
Well, yes, that is true. Considering they had maybe one guy at the time that had a legit chance of being a starter, they needed more picks. Really should have traded out of that spot and gotten them. There weren't and first rounders available at that moment The whole thing was made worse by the fact they ignored the obvious needs in the second round to get a TE that can't block when two outstanding young centers were right there. Instead the grab the TE that can't block and then draft a Guard to play Center and that failed miserably. The two outstanding young centers are anchoring o-lines in the NFL.

Who's the other one besides Humphrey? Dickerson has been playing guard in Philadelphia.
Josh Myers/Green Bay. Started every game since he was drafted.

Dickerson will probably move back over when Kelce retires, soon. That was a bit of a luxury pick where they took him but they were putting the final touches on their offense.

You're moving the sticks. You blamed him for the current guys on this team. Ben was teammates with one current offensive starter for more than a year.

The fact that you can't seem to grasp what I've been saying all along doesn't mean that I've moved the sticks, it means that you apparently can't understand simple concepts that most other people aren't having any trouble with.

The fact that you can't seem to grasp what I've been saying all along doesn't mean that I've moved the sticks, it means that you apparently can't understand simple concepts that most other people aren't having any trouble with.
Joe you really haven’t been saying anything notable on this other than demonstrating your obviously biased opinion. Because there’s nothing to back up what your saying other than other Joe Schmo opinions.

Joe you really haven’t been saying anything notable on this other than demonstrating your obviously biased opinion. Because there’s nothing to back up what your saying other than other Joe Schmo opinions.

You may not understand this, but all any of us here have is our opinion.

The fact that mine happens to agree with a lot of people who have a lot more information about this than you or I do is not proof that I am right, but it is a point in my favor.

Josh Myers/Green Bay. Started every game since he was drafted.

Dickerson will probably move back over when Kelce retires, soon. That was a bit of a luxury pick where they took him but they were putting the final touches on their offense.
I knew there were a handful of center prospects in that draft, couldn't remember the other ones who earned started jobs. Thanks!

Reactions: pittdan77
Blaming a guy who isn't on the team and barely played with any of the current starters for the current culture? It's a dumb premise. He hasn't been on this team for two years, it's up to the current veterans and coaching staff to establish the culture in the locker room.

That’s not entirely accurate on the discussion being about big money free agent deals.

Your reply stating roster decisions are the GM not the HC was in a reply you made to a poster specifically listing the Harrison, Ingram and Blount decisions.
Ya mean the post I quoted and replies to?
Am I taking crazy pills ?

You can be very talented and still be a net negative for a team. Plenty of athletic freaks find themselves out of the league after a couple of years because they don’t have it upstairs. I’m not saying George isn’t smart. What I am saying is that George lacks the mindset to be great. And if he doesn’t figure it out, he will never amount to anything.

As an example of what I mean, AB had it upstairs and I don’t think anyone will label AB as the smartest man in the world. He just had the winners mentality and the drive to be great. That’s how you go from the MAC to the best receiver in the league. And George’s mindset is how you go from Georgia to installing countertops 4 years after you’re drafted.
I worked with a guy to install industrial countertops at a project a few years. He was a D lineman at Georgia in the early 90s and owned the company. His son was working out for the combine at the time as a linebacker. Good dude. His knees were shot probably worse than mine, but after watching him get after it I had to lend a hand.

I don't think he would be too interested in hiring Pickens though. He doesn't look like the working type.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I knew there were a handful of center prospects in that draft, couldn't remember the other ones who earned started jobs. Thanks!
No problem. I remember it so well because I was really excited by the prospect of either of those guys falling to the Steelers, knowing they needed to replace Pouncey do badly. I mean, you just don't get guys that are NFL ready in the second round very often but we got a TE that can't block.

Reactions: Burgh15
No problem. I remember it so well because I was really excited by the prospect of either of those guys falling to the Steelers, knowing they needed to replace Pouncey do badly. I mean, you just don't get guys that are NFL ready in the second round very often but we got a TE that can't block.

Freiermuth doesn't take 10% of the heat that Pickett takes despite being a substantially worse player at a less important position. Dude can't block, runs terrible routes, is hurt all the time, and prevented us from taking an excellent OL prospect. The PSU-Steeler fans on Twitter are absolute snakes. Would cut off their nose to spite their face.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Freiermuth doesn't take 10% of the heat that Pickett takes despite being a substantially worse player at a less important position. Dude can't block, runs terrible routes, is hurt all the time, and prevented us from taking an excellent OL prospect. The PSU-Steeler fans on Twitter are absolute snakes. Would cut off their nose to spite their face.

Okay I have to ask … how did a player prevent the team from taking a different player? Be honest the problem you have is the school from which he played. Pat’s not the problem here.

Okay I have to ask … how did a player prevent the team from taking a different player? Be honest the problem you have is the school from which he played. Pat’s not the problem here.
If you don't think Freiermuth's play is problematic, especially in light of the position in draft he was taken, then I don't know what to tell you. If you watch any other starting NFL tight end, they all block better and make more difficult catches in the passing game. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for almost three seasons now but I can't anymore after week-after-week of seeing what other pro tight ends can do.

If Kenny is as bad as him after next year, I'll say the same thing.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Opportunity cost.

My problem with Pat is what I already mentioned. He's not really good at anything. His blocking is complete garbage (as called out by numerous experts). His route running is inconsistent (as called out by numerous experts). He is hurt all the time. He's not a top 10 TE. Potentially not a top 15 TE and yet we burned a premium pick on him. That's my problem with him. Has nothing to do with the snake PSU-Steelers fans who selfishly want Kenny to fail because their school hasn't ever produced a good NFL QB.

Didn’t you answer your own question in your post. He takes less heat because he’s at a less important position.

Isn’t the discussion always more about the QB than any other position in the field?

If you don't think Freiermuth's play is problematic, especially in light of the position in draft he was taken, then I don't know what to tell you. If you watch any other starting NFL tight end, they all block better and make more difficult catches in the passing game. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for almost three seasons now but I can't anymore after week-after-week of seeing what other pro tight ends can do.

Not exactly true, some TE’s are solely pass catching and some are blocking TE.
My point is Pat may not be one who does both. Until this year when they have multiple issues he wasn’t a problem. I say it’s because of all the things.
1)Crap OL play
2) wideouts that don’t care
3) Quarterback that is struggling because of 1 & 2
4) bad OC
That Pat looks bad, maybe the injuries have took something away IDK

My post was about the wording of his post that made is sound more because of where he went to school. I bet if we checked the Porter thread we would see a similar comment in there.
I’m a Falcons supporter and Tech graduate but want all the Dawgs we can get. 😂

Opportunity cost.

My problem with Pat is what I already mentioned. He's not really good at anything. His blocking is complete garbage (as called out by numerous experts). His route running is inconsistent (as called out by numerous experts). He is hurt all the time. He's not a top 10 TE. Potentially not a top 15 TE and yet we burned a premium pick on him. That's my problem with him. Has nothing to do with the snake PSU-Steelers fans who selfishly want Kenny to fail because their school hasn't ever produced a good NFL QB.

Okay I will take you at your word then. My apologies

No doubt Friermuth is having a terrible year this year. But you can easily excuse a good portion of it for the same reason KP’s below the line performance is excused, this putrid overall offensive system.

And you are seriously underselling Muth’s performance relative to other TE’s in the league. He had 60 and 63 catches his 1st 2 seasons in the league. That really isn’t too shabby. I’m sure one of the other TE’s you’re referring to is NJoku. He’s having a real good year….this year. His prior 5 or 6 years, none of them any better than Muth’s 1st 2.

Not exactly true, some TE’s are solely pass catching and some are blocking TE.
My point is Pat may not be one who does both. Until this year when they have multiple issues he wasn’t a problem. I say it’s because of all the things.
1)Crap OL play
2) wideouts that don’t care
3) Quarterback that is struggling because of 1 & 2
4) bad OC
That Pat looks bad, maybe the injuries have took something away IDK

My post was about the wording of his post that made is sound more because of where he went to school. I bet if we checked the Porter thread we would see a similar comment in there.
I’m a Falcons supporter and Tech graduate but want all the Dawgs we can get. 😂
He's not a blocking TE but the Steelers are trying to use him that way. He's been tossed like a rag doll several times this year.

I think he's a good pass catcher. I'd move him to slot, personally.

Reactions: Hardslider21
Didn’t you answer your own question in your post. He takes less heat because he’s at a less important position.

Isn’t the discussion always more about the QB than any other position in the field?
IMO, that's kind of true. The QB is under the microscope more.

But I would also say that the average fan knows less about the QB position than the TE position. When a TE runs the wrong route and the pass is incomplete, it often looks like it was the QBs fault. When a running play gets blown up because the TE can't block, it often looks like the RBs fault. And the cumulative nature of these poor TE plays is that the QB is put into more difficult positions of having to win on 3rd and long. Then he can't - because no QB can routinely win in those circumstances - and it looks like the QBs fault again. Kenny gets a majority of the blame from our fans for the entire offense sucking, even though the WRs routinely do dumb stuff, the TE literally doesn't do anything well, and the OL is bottom 5 in pass block win rate. No one is succeeding in those circumstances and it makes no sense for Pat F to not get more heat when he's turning in bottom 10 performances every week.

He's not a blocking TE but the Steelers are trying to use him that way. He's been tossed like a rag doll several times this year.

I think he's a good pass catcher. I'd move him to slot, personally.

He's alright as a pass catcher. Not special. I'd take a ton of guys over him. If you're just going to use a TE in the slot I'd much rather have Dalton Schultz on a 1/$6million deal than have burned a 2nd on Pat F.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT