ADVERTISEMENT

The Steelers have given up

They should put the feed bag on him and make him an OT. He's never going to be effective as a TE. He moves like a 50 year old man with bad knees playing TE.

Probably not a bad idea. He's never going to cut it as a tight end in this league moving like that.

Unless they think he can do the exact opposite and lose 20 pounds/become more mobile, haha. But he's in no man's land as it stands.

I knew exactly why he dropped in the draft the first time I saw him run.

Yeah, his 40 isn't bad, but he's a pretty prime example as to why 40's don't tell the whole story.

Reminds me of Charles Reeves to a T. I thought Pitt was getting an athletic freak, and then I saw him lumbering at the Spring Game. No shiftiness at all.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
That would be great news. Unfortunately, we have no leverage and probably won't get much for him. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on a contending team and goes off, but oh well. You have to move him.
yeah, steeler fans want a Claypoole like deal and i just dont think you get that lucky, twice.

yeah, steeler fans want a Claypoole like deal and i just dont think you get that lucky, twice.

It's how the rich get richer in the NFL. He'll go someplace like Kansas City. They'll only spend like a 4th on him, so the second he becomes too much of a goofball he'll be gone. In the meantime, they'll extract all they can from him.

Reactions: 303vND
Do you ever go back and revisit your posts and wonder what you were thinking when you posted it?
I think when someone points out players who left for cap reasons and blamed the coach for those decision instead of the GM-
I think my posts make plenty of sense

lol the Steelers way. Ya mean back before 2007 ?
im kind of over "The steeler way" cliches to be honest, every team and every program in any sport claims that they have their "own way" of doing things and its' silly.

WIth that said, pickens just isnt doing anything and is jogging thru the motions, literally. it's not working, steeler way or just being a pro athlete and it's silly to expect he'll just figure it out and try harder next year as a steeler..

logic and a simple google search will tell you that the HC plays a significant role if not the final decision maker in ALL roster decisions including the draft The dude is the face of the franchise generally makes more than the Gm and is responsible for developing the player and making. All the parts work together. It’s ludicrous to think otherwise
Except there is no evidence that say - Harrison and Dupree were let go because Tomlin wanted that
Or Hilton or a host of others
Those are salary cap casualty decisions -
And guess who makes those ?
Hint - it’s not the HC

im kind of over "The steeler way" cliches to be honest, every team and every program in any sport claims that they have their "own way" of doing things and its' silly.

WIth that said, pickens just isnt doing anything and is jogging thru the motions, literally. it's not working, steeler way or just being a pro athlete and it's silly to expect he'll just figure it out and try harder next year as a steeler..
The only “steeler way” is not signing big money free agents
It’s drafting and development
Its hardly unique

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
come on, the HC has been part of the draft and roster management for decades, in all franchises. IT's why cowher and donahoe fought and he ended up leaving. no clue when it started but it's been going on for decades.

to believe that tomlin isnt part of roster, draft days, player evaluations and Free Agent signings is foolish. now i agree with you, He shouldnt, AT ALL, be near it. I wouldnt even let him into the war room on draft day, just give him a vacation, tell him to take the family to the bahamas and we'll call you once it's over..

That's what they should do but you know they wont.
I don’t know with any certainty how good or bad Tomlin may be with player evaluations but your take that Tomlin should have zero involvement is almost as bad as the guy you’re replying to.

I don’t know with any certainty how good or bad Tomlin may be with player evaluations but your take that Tomlin should have zero involvement is almost as bad as the guy you’re replying to.
sometimes you let the manager manage and the coach, coach. you blur those lines too much and you get what you have now.

True!
We need less talent on offense !
That’s the winning strategy ?
You can be very talented and still be a net negative for a team. Plenty of athletic freaks find themselves out of the league after a couple of years because they don’t have it upstairs. I’m not saying George isn’t smart. What I am saying is that George lacks the mindset to be great. And if he doesn’t figure it out, he will never amount to anything.

As an example of what I mean, AB had it upstairs and I don’t think anyone will label AB as the smartest man in the world. He just had the winners mentality and the drive to be great. That’s how you go from the MAC to the best receiver in the league. And George’s mindset is how you go from Georgia to installing countertops 4 years after you’re drafted.

Any franchise that takes a RB in the first round when they don't have anything resembling a pro o-line (in a draft that many believe is the deepest o-line draft in ages) is lost. That's partly why I don't think the organization can fix this. They don't really see themselves as being that far away from winning something.
We definitely need OL and made that a bigger priority but your post here is loudly justifying to some extent why they drafted a RB in the 1st round. If that was the ‘deepest O-line draft in ages’ they likely figured they could hold off and get quality OL later.

george isnt smart, come on. at all. if he wasnt playing professional football, he'd be the kind of adult that has a social worker assigned by the state to assist him with every day living, how to go to grocery store and function in every day society..

some sort of learning disability and that's not an insult, its just how it is. If he wasnt fast and tall, he'd probably be in a state home or being taken care of by relatives, getting a monthly stipend from the state because he's mentally incapable of surviving on his own.
Yeah but the way I crafted my post, I could see someone like the guy who I replied to latching on to the “George lacks it upstairs” comment and sending this thread in a different direction.

They should put the feed bag on him and make him an OT. He's never going to be effective as a TE. He moves like a 50 year old man with bad knees playing TE.
This is kinda funny, don’t know if you might have been one but there was definitely an over-abundance of posters raving about the draft pick when Washington was selected.

But it’s still early, everyone was raving about the Pickens selection as well.

I would say a majority of running backs are 1-contract players. I don't think a player who gets 5 years and has the franchise tag is worthwhile in the first.
That's fair but giving a 2 round TE who's JAG a four year contract isn't worthwhile as well.

Last edited:
You can debate how much involvement the HC should have but I couldn’t agree with you even a little that the HC should have zero involvement.
Prominent Pittsburgh media guy just said “you can argue Tomlin has done a worse job putting this team together than coaching them”. The men who cover this team closer than anyone knows who does the shopping in addition to cooking the food.

But others who are fans of Tomlin want to pretend that he’s not the guy who is making personnel decisions.

Prominent Pittsburgh media guy just said “you can argue Tomlin has done a worse job putting this team together than coaching them”. The men who cover this team closer than anyone knows who does the shopping in addition to cooking the food.

But others who are fans of Tomlin want to pretend that he’s not the guy who is making personnel decisions.
tomlin apologists will play that angle, look at how he's going .500% with a terrible roster, he's such a great coach.

completely ignoring his input in forming that terrible roster. pretty silly argument that most people see thru immediately.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and 303vND
As I mentioned, for this year, yeah they stink. Everything listed by you and Wolf are symptoms of bad team.

Pitt admin emulating the Steelers is laughable bro. Seems you're the one not paying attention.
I don’t think it’s laughable…as a matter of fact I’d wager Lyke sat down with Rooney early on in her tenure to chat about why the Steelers have been so successful….too bad that’s an ancient history question…..and they spent an inordinate amount of time talking about stability which accounts, in part, for Lyke’s penchant for giving out contract extensions like Halloween candy. Additionally, where do you think this goofy idea of Pitt playing in Wisconsin in Ireland originated? I’d further wager that dumb idea started with Art Rooney! And where do you think the idea of Pitt playing at Heinz and tearing down Pitt stadium arose? Yea, the Rooneys. You’re snoozing!

Well I wasn’t saying he has been doing a bang up job with whatever contributions he’s made to personnel decisions, I’m just saying that Tomlin and any other HC should have some involvement in personnel decisions.

My suspicion is that any organization where it’s 100% GM or 100% HC is likely a dysfunctional organization.

Well I wasn’t saying he has been doing a bang up job with whatever contributions he’s made to personnel decisions, I’m just saying that Tomlin and any other HC should have some involvement in personnel decisions.

My suspicion is that any organization where it’s 100% GM or 100% HC is likely a dysfunctional organization.
No. I was directing anything toward you. No worries.

no, i dont think that's even possible. but a GM needs to be able to draft and pick up players without the HC approval, not sure that's the case in pittsburgh.

no, i dont think that's even possible. but a GM needs to be able to draft and pick up players without the HC approval, not sure that's the case in pittsburgh.
Ideally, GM and HC should have a good relationship where they mutually discuss options and then the GM makes the final decision considering the HC’s input

Again
To recap
The discussion was regarding players not being retained because they go big money free agent deals elsewhere .
Are you suggesting Tomlin is making that call ?
Because that’s crazy

As stated the coaches do go with the scouts during draft prep- no doubt

How the players are signed and to manage the cap are the GM ultimately.

I’d Tomlin was actually the GM- he’d actually have that title - like belichick does

tomlin apologists will play that angle, look at how he's going .500% with a terrible roster, he's such a great coach.

completely ignoring his input in forming that terrible roster. pretty silly argument that most people see thru immediately.
The coaching has been terrible this year
Attack away on that .
Its completely fair
Including how idiotic teryl Austin’s DL plays and rotation is

The coaching has been terrible this year
Attack away on that .
Its completely fair
Including how idiotic teryl Austin’s DL plays and rotation is
austin seems to fall under the radar for sure. the target has been on canada and the offense so long that no one really looks at Austin..

I agree with you, Defense has been very poor. Should have promoted Flores and told austin to take a demotion or hit the road, i know, hindsight is 20/20..

austin seems to fall under the radar for sure. the target has been on canada and the offense so long that no one really looks at Austin..

I agree with you, Defense has been very poor. Should have promoted Flores and told austin to take a demotion or hit the road, i know, hindsight is 20/20..
Should have never let Flores leave- he would be a HC succession candidate at least .

I want them to hire Eric Bieniemy as OC /AHC for the same reason

Should have never let Flores leave- he would be a HC succession candidate at least .

I want them to hire Eric Bieniemy as OC /AHC for the same reason
good strategy but Tomlin would never sign off on this. there is a reason he hires such poor and weak coordinators, it's not on accident..

hiring a strong OC with plans to have him as next head coach is basically firing Tomlin without firing him. again, a strong Owner makes this move, rooney jr? Not so much.

good strategy but Tomlin would never sign off on this. there is a reason he hires such poor and weak coordinators, it's not on accident..

hiring a strong OC with plans to have him as next head coach is basically firing Tomlin without firing him. again, a strong Owner makes this move, rooney jr? Not so much.
He doesn’t have to sign off on it
Only Rooney does

This nonsense that Tomlin wants weakness in his coaching staff is aome
Tin foil level stuff .
Then why did he reach out to Flores himself ?

He doesn’t have to sign off on it
Only Rooney does

This nonsense that Tomlin wants weakness in his coaching staff is aome
Tin foil level stuff .
Then why did he reach out to Flores himself ?
well he's continuously hired and put together horrible coaching staffs. if he's not doing it on purpose then he's just clueless. his coaching tree is a flagpole, it has no limbs..

i was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

watch this. it's so bad it's almost funny. you have to actually try to screw up a run this bad. najee is funny..

Friermuth was trying to block the LB on the side with the apparent hole ... in Najee's defense, given how awful Friermuth blocks, I'd probably take my chances hoping the d-lineman can't get off the guard's block, too.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT