ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball at GT

Update from inside the gym: holy cow is it loud here, but it’s not bothering the Pitt ladies at all! Absolutely dominating blocking from Pitt paired with fantastic serving from VVG forcing GT out of system. Babcock and Stafford both came out firing too. Let’s keep it up in set two!

Update from inside the gym: holy cow is it loud here, but it’s not bothering the Pitt ladies at all! Absolutely dominating blocking from Pitt paired with fantastic serving from VVG forcing GT out of system. Babcock and Stafford both came out firing too. Let’s keep it up in set two!
Where are you sitting? I haven’t seen any Pitt fans on camera yet.

Midcourt on the bench side. I have a blue Pitt polo on and my wife has a blue Pitt shirt. Most Pitt fans here are close to the far wall so they won’t show up much. There’s a solid handful

Two almost flawless sets. GT had to earn almost all of their points. Only real mistakes were a couple of service errors and two carry calls.

In our euphoria, let’s not forget what happened when we played them in Pittsburgh.

Completely different return of serve today. Bet they practiced that. Bet Coach had a conversation with Torrey and Olivia that they are not freshman anymore, and they aren't playing like that. Real good focus so far.

Reactions: Chaos and 121rum
Well, that was sweet. Who would have thought that Dylan Griffin would turn that set around with a 8 or 9 point serving run? And, it wasn’t GT errors on those serves; at least 5 of them were really good serves; very tough to return.

Once they got ahead, they turned up the pressure and GT, quite honestly, folded.

What a nice road sweep against the #8 team in the country.

resize

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Well, that was sweet. Who would have thought that Dylan Griffin would turn that set around with a 8 or 9 point serving run? And, it wasn’t GT errors on those serves; at least 5 of them were really good serves; very tough to return.

Once they got ahead, they turned up the pressure and GT, quite honestly, folded.

What a nice road sweep against the #8 team in the country.
Congratulations to Fisher and his staff and to the entire team for one of the most enjoyable Pitt sport's wins I have had the pleasure to watch.....great way to begin the weekend. They were an absolute juggernaut!

What a match. First of all credit to the GT crowd because the atmosphere there was electric. And even more credit to the Pitt ladies for absolutely dominating despite it! The Pitt block was a wall, serves were forcing GT out of system and our hitting was smart and powerful. Liv and Emma were stone cold killers, a combined 21 kills on 29 swings with 0 errors! Absurd. And Rachel’s setting was probably the best it’s been all year. Huge win. On to Louisville!

They did not have a home men's or women's basketball game today.

Pitt doesn't move all their big games to the Pete, so why would Georgia Tech?
GT hasn’t moved any of their home games to McCamish this year except UGA, to be honest I understand why as that gym gets super loud since it is so small. My wife described the atmosphere as “feeling like a high school state championship game”. Only downside is I’m sure they could sell more than 1.5k tickets if they moved it to the bigger arena so they probably are losing out on revenue

Reactions: Pitt MD
What a match. First of all credit to the GT crowd because the atmosphere there was electric. And even more credit to the Pitt ladies for absolutely dominating despite it! The Pitt block was a wall, serves were forcing GT out of system and our hitting was smart and powerful. Liv and Emma were stone cold killers, a combined 21 kills on 29 swings with 0 errors! Absurd. And Rachel’s setting was probably the best it’s been all year. Huge win. On to Louisville!
They need to bottle that game and drink it before every match - played nearly flawlessly.

Our serve receive and back row defense was best it’s been all season. Didn’t let GT’s big server ( can’t think of her name - but she absolutely killed PItt at the Fitz w her serve ) get on any runs- think they sided her our every time.

And - wow - the block and 2 fresh were just dominant- .

3rd set - GT was in control and blew an easy point on what should have been a free ball - instead of 13-7 , it was 12-8 and PItt out scores then 17- 7 the rest of the way.

Saturday should be fun!

They need to bottle that game and drink it before every match - played nearly flawlessly.

Our serve receive and back row defense was best it’s been all season. Didn’t let GT’s big server ( can’t think of her name - but she absolutely killed PItt at the Fitz w her serve ) get on any runs- think they sided her our every time.

And - wow - the block and 2 fresh were just dominant- .

3rd set - GT was in control and blew an easy point on what should have been a free ball - instead of 13-7 , it was 12-8 and PItt out scores then 17- 7 the rest of the way.

Saturday should be fun!
Her name is Bianca Bertolino, a superb volleyball player from Argentina.

- For the first time this season, I feel like the Panthers can make a truly deep run in the NCAA tournament.

- The return of serve is what fueled the Ladies, allowing them to consistently stay within system. When they do this they are almost unstoppable.

- Olivia Babcock was just about unstoppable during this match. She was hitting it deep more often, and tooling the block, and she was incredible from the back row. At one point, Ga Tech coach challenged the point because she couldn't believe she didn't violate the 10 foot line. What we saw, is what I think her true potential is.

- There was a point in the second set where there was weird reversal when the ball hit the ceiling while Pitt was playing it on their own side of the net. I still am not sure I understand how that was reversed. Normally, a wonky call like that would sometimes fuel a run by the opponent (that happened more than once against Fla St). This time Pitt immediately got the next point and just kept going.

- The third set belonged to Dillyn Griffin. That was a heck of a service run. The Panthers were battling to stay in the match and then they are suddenly up by I think 3 or4. Total game changer.

-Otene for Georgia Tech was fortunately, not herself this match. She seemed to keep trying to hit high hands and she kept missing. In the last match she had 23 kills and hit .240. This match she hit -.200 with 5 kills on 35 targets.

- So this is what Pitt's A game looks like. If they bring this againt Louisville, watch out!

- There was a point in the second set where there was weird reversal when the ball hit the ceiling while Pitt was playing it on their own side of the net. I still am not sure I understand how that was reversed. Normally, a wonky call like that would sometimes fuel a run by the opponent (that happened more than once against Fla St). This time Pitt immediately got the next point and just kept going.
So what they deemed on that was the ball hit a rafter that was already over the bleachers so they eventually called it out despite having played it through to a Pitt point. I think it was actually the right call based on the rules of that gym, but as you mentioned it was huge for Pitt to rebound after that and not lose the momentum. Pitt just never let anything shake them in this match

Reactions: phijo
- For the first time this season, I feel like the Panthers can make a truly deep run in the NCAA tournament.

- The return of serve is what fueled the Ladies, allowing them to consistently stay within system. When they do this they are almost unstoppable.

- Olivia Babcock was just about unstoppable during this match. She was hitting it deep more often, and tooling the block, and she was incredible from the back row. At one point, Ga Tech coach challenged the point because she couldn't believe she didn't violate the 10 foot line. What we saw, is what I think her true potential is.

- The third set belonged to Dillyn Griffin. That was a heck of a service run. The Panthers were battling to stay in the match and then they are suddenly up by I think 3 or4. Total game changer.

-Otene for Georgia Tech was fortunately, not herself this match. She seemed to keep trying to hit high hands and she kept missing. In the last match she had 23 kills and hit .240. This match she hit -.200 with 5 kills on 35 targets.

- So this is what Pitt's A game looks like. If they bring this againt Louisville, watch out!
If I remember correctly, Pitt scored 8 straight points while Dillyn was serving.

Dan Fisher, again, makes the correct substitution, who then makes a major contribution to an important victory. It's no wonder his team's have won 85% of their games for Pitt!

Beat Louisville!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT