ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball at Miami

It seems to me having watched them a number of times that this team’s one big problem is that it lacks a real leader on the court. I would have thought it would be Fairbanks, but she hasn’t stepped into that role. They are up 2-0, tied 10-10 in the third and Miami goes on a run with no one on the floor in the Pitt team trying to fire them up. Fisher had to call a TO to try to do it.

Also, going into this weekend they led the nation in blocks, but the block was hardly a weapon this weekend.

It seems to me having watched them a number of times that this team’s one big problem is that it lacks a real leader on the court. I would have thought it would be Fairbanks, but she hasn’t stepped into that role. They are up 2-0, tied 10-10 in the third and Miami goes on a run with no one on the floor in the Pitt team trying to fire them up. Fisher had to call a TO to try to do it.

Also, going into this weekend they led the nation in blocks, but the block was hardly a weapon this weekend.
Correct....my vote is for Babcock in that role....but as a freshman I guess not...

Reactions: mike412
Wow, just looked at the schedules and FSU doesn’t have to play Louisville, GT, or Pitt the rest of the way, while those teams all have to play both of the other two. FSU probably going to win the conference because they only had to play each of those teams once. Makes the loss Friday sting even more.

• Sad
Reactions: Chaos
Wow, just looked at the schedules and FSU doesn’t have to play Louisville, GT, or Pitt the rest of the way, while those teams all have to play both of the other two. FSU probably going to win the conference because they only had to play each of those teams once. Makes the loss Friday sting even more.
Yeah - the unbalanced schedules hurt PItt , Lville and Ga Tech … FSU plays the top 3 1x each where as the top 3 play each other 2x each .

This was an interesting game to watch and listen to. The guy doing the color was a former VB coach. He seemed to really know his stuff. Seems to think Babcock has all of the measurables with size and atheleticism to play on the national team but needs to learn to hit long and tool the block better. Tends to hit down which takes away her advantage. He was very complimentary of VVG. Glue gal kind of description

The return of serve was better this match.

Boy, Fisher was pretty pissed of at his team a couple of times and the refs too. Clearly told the ref "Thats bullshit". I think he is ready to get out of Florida.

This was an interesting game to watch and listen to. The guy doing the color was a former VB coach. He seemed to really know his stuff. Seems to think Babcock has all of the measurables with size and atheleticism to play on the national team but needs to learn to hit long and tool the block better. Tends to hit down which takes away her advantage. He was very complimentary of VVG. Glue gal kind of description

Boy, Fisher was pretty pissed of at his team a couple of times and the refs too. Clearly told the ref "Thats bullshit". I think he is ready to get out of Florida.
Appreciate the comment on the announcers. I could listen to these 2 guys all day long. Their comments were also unbiased and very succinct. You could tell how much they enjoyed watching the future of the ACC....namely Babcock, Lopez, and Stafford. I can't wait to see the rematch at the Fitzgerald in a couple of weeks. Regarding Fisher....wow...he was beyond incensed at times....I recall @mike412 in the past remarking that Pitt seems to go on a 'walkabout' during some of their matches and loses focus. Fisher was probably still pissed from the FS loss on Friday. They better get these 'walkabouts' out of their system...upcoming games with Georgia Tech, Louisville, and Miami again leaves no room for mistakes.

Reactions: mike412 and phijo

He was great to listen to- really knowledgeable. Also talked a bit about the PR national team- noting the number of PR players on the floor.

Reactions: jctrack
Yeah - the unbalanced schedules hurt PItt , Lville and Ga Tech … FSU plays the top 3 1x each where as the top 3 play each other 2x each .
And it will be even more complicated....meaning a mess...next year with the ACC adding Stanford, SMU, and Cal.

Appreciate the comment on the announcers. I could listen to these 2 guys all day long. Their comments were also unbiased and very succinct. You could tell how much they enjoyed watching the future of the ACC....namely Babcock, Lopez, and Stafford. I can't wait to see the rematch at the Fitzgerald in a couple of weeks. Regarding Fisher....wow...he was beyond incensed at times....I recall @mike412 in the past remarking that Pitt seems to go on a 'walkabout' during some of their matches and loses focus. Fisher was probably still pissed from the FS loss on Friday. They better get these 'walkabouts' out of their system...upcoming games with Georgia Tech, Louisville, and Miami again leaves no room for mistakes.
Yeah, the problem with lack of focus has been a problem all year. I think it is tied to the absence of a clear team leader, like was said earlier.

They did that on purpose, because they wanted to get Pitt, Louisville and Georgia Tech more matches that would help their RPI. They probably never even considered Florida State for the same "honor".

Reactions: pittdan77
And it will be even more complicated....meaning a mess...next year with the ACC adding Stanford, SMU, and Cal.

In a way, it probably won't be more complicated. If they don't change the number of conference matches, you will have an 18 team league that plays 18 conference matches. So you are going to play everyone one time and then one team twice. The only potential complication would be in deciding how to determine which one team you play twice. I'll bet it will end up being a combination of predicted place in the standings and geography. So, for instance, Stanford will play Cal twice, Florida State will play Miami twice, and so on. Which might lead us to getting Louisville twice.

Which I'll bet Dan Fisher would be in favor of.

Reactions: levance2
In a way, it probably won't be more complicated. If they don't change the number of conference matches, you will have an 18 team league that plays 18 conference matches. So you are going to play everyone one time and then one team twice. The only potential complication would be in deciding how to determine which one team you play twice. I'll bet it will end up being a combination of predicted place in the standings and geography. So, for instance, Stanford will play Cal twice, Florida State will play Miami twice, and so on. Which might lead us to getting Louisville twice.

Which I'll bet Dan Fisher would be in favor of.
If the conference doesn't split into divisions why not just keep it at 17 conference games....you play each school once. Wouldn't that be more fair? I would worry about Stanford getting Cal twice versus say Pitt vs Louisville. Cal is historically not of the same caliber as the others.

If the conference doesn't split into divisions why not just keep it at 17 conference games....you play each school once. Wouldn't that be more fair? I would worry about Stanford getting Cal twice versus say Pitt vs Louisville. Cal is historically not of the same caliber as the others.

They could go to 17. They could stick with 18. They could decide to go to 20. Who knows?

But as we are seeing this year, and saw the past couple of years if we paid attention, they are likely to try to give the best teams more games against the other best teams. Because the bottom of the ACC isn't that good, and can pull down a team's RPI if they have to play too many games against the bottom. And that has the potential to hurt a team's NCAA seed.

Like I said, if they stick with 18 games and decide that everyone plays one other team twice, I guarantee that Dan Fisher would be happy if Pitt's double was Louisville. Because the goal isn't to win the ACC, the goal is to win the national championship.

And I don't think that there is any way that they are going to split into divisions, because they have shown no interest in a post season ACC tournament, and if they split into divisions they are going to have to have one of some sort.

They could go to 17. They could stick with 18. They could decide to go to 20. Who knows?

But as we are seeing this year, and saw the past couple of years if we paid attention, they are likely to try to give the best teams more games against the other best teams. Because the bottom of the ACC isn't that good, and can pull down a team's RPI if they have to play too many games against the bottom. And that has the potential to hurt a team's NCAA seed.

Like I said, if they stick with 18 games and decide that everyone plays one other team twice, I guarantee that Dan Fisher would be happy if Pitt's double was Louisville. Because the goal isn't to win the ACC, the goal is to win the national championship.

And I don't think that there is any way that they are going to split into divisions, because they have shown no interest in a post season ACC tournament, and if they split into divisions they are going to have to have one of some sort.
Well....I do agree with you about the Pitt - Louisville pairing. It has become a rivalry and a good one at that including an RPI boost....both have become elite. Not sure about the 'win the ACC title' as not a goal. These schools love hanging their conference championship banners from the ceiling. In any event....I see some hand wringing in the near future if FS wins the ACC outright.....and especially if FS remains unranked. One positive is that the ACC is getting much more competitive and with that comes greater respect for the conference as a whole.

Well....I do agree with you about the Pitt - Louisville pairing. It has become a rivalry and a good one at that including an RPI boost....both have become elite. Not sure about the 'win the ACC title' as not a goal. These schools love hanging their conference championship banners from the ceiling. In any event....I see some hand wringing in the near future if FS wins the ACC outright.....and especially if FS remains unranked. One positive is that the ACC is getting much more competitive and with that comes greater respect for the conference as a whole.
Would also love to see us continue to play Louisville twice. And playing this tough schedule down the stretch should put in the best form possible for the tournament. It would just be nice to have that and a fair chance to win the conference.

I like the idea of a 'unbalanced' schedule since the ACC is certainly top heavy. I just wish the actual schedule was 'fluid' in some way.

For example, play eveyone in the league once ( 14 games). But leave the final 4 games of the conference open where the top 5 play each other (4 games). You can also schedule accordingly for the bottom 10 teams for a more competitive finish to the season.

I think that would be great. Allow strong competition leading into the NCAA tournament and crown a true champion to the conference (not one that can be decided by an easier schedule).

Was a bit cringeworthy to hear the announcers refer to a few of the players as "studs" but beyond that, it was really nice to hear someone speaking with some volleyball knowledge.

Didn't see it mentioned but passing was bad all weekend. Especially on serve receive. Servers are targeting our outsides enough that Fisher is subbing them later in games with a DS. Takes away some of the offense but necessary.

Miami is a rising program. Definitely on their way up. I mentioned at the beginning of the season that the ACC wasn't gong to be a cake walk and that is playing out. These secondary schools just lack consistency and are weak at one or two positions. That won't stay that way.

I like the idea of a 'unbalanced' schedule since the ACC is certainly top heavy. I just wish the actual schedule was 'fluid' in some way.

For example, play eveyone in the league once ( 14 games). But leave the final 4 games of the conference open where the top 5 play each other (4 games). You can also schedule accordingly for the bottom 10 teams for a more competitive finish to the season.

I think that would be great. Allow strong competition leading into the NCAA tournament and crown a true champion to the conference (not one that can be decided by an easier schedule).
I think volleyball should make room in the season for an 8-team conference tournament at the end of the season. You can run the tournament over a three day period at one location. I'm certain it would be good for TV and draw pretty well.

I think volleyball should make room in the season for an 8-team conference tournament at the end of the season. You can run the tournament over a three day period at one location. I'm certain it would be good for TV and draw pretty well.
Even a four-team tournament would make sense. Especially with 18 teams, you could play a 17-game conference schedule with a four-team weekend tournament at the end. Maintains competitive balance and gives your Top 4 a chance for 1-2 more quality matches going into the tournament. Win-win.

Was a bit cringeworthy to hear the announcers refer to a few of the players as "studs" but beyond that, it was really nice to hear someone speaking with some volleyball knowledge.

Didn't see it mentioned but passing was bad all weekend. Especially on serve receive. Servers are targeting our outsides enough that Fisher is subbing them later in games with a DS. Takes away some of the offense but necessary.

Miami is a rising program. Definitely on their way up. I mentioned at the beginning of the season that the ACC wasn't gong to be a cake walk and that is playing out. These secondary schools just lack consistency and are weak at one or two positions. That won't stay that way.
Spot on.....the passing was erratic to just plain bad. Klika entered the weekend with 12 receiving errors for the season. She is now at 22! It is also an area of improvement needed by Stafford....but as a freshman she should be able to remedy that with experience. You have underscored the worry that Fisher must have going into these next 2 games against GT and Louisville....better passing and no receiving errors.

A potential problem with an ACC tournament is that you are (potentially) really going to increase travel the week leading up to the NCAA tournament.

Imagine a four team tournament, Pitt, Louisville, Georgia Tech and Stanford. And Stanford is the number one seed, so they get to host. That's a long trip and a long weekend right before the NCAA tournament starts. And even if say Pitt were to host, that's a long way to go for Stanford in that situation.

Reactions: vantheman1976
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT