ADVERTISEMENT

who is the most overrated Pittsburgh athlete ever?

what did you want him to do, run the option? Sometimes a forward pass is needed in the NFL..

He surprised everyone with that first year as a starter. But after that, he was immediately figured out. Remember his second season at the start? Excitement for him was sky high, I think he was on the cover of the Madden game and was a popular fantasy football #1 pick, everyone assuming he was a star of the future? Thinking he'd throw for 20 TDs and run for 10 every year.

IMO, Liz was very much overrated.
sure you are not thinking of old fat Flintstones Liz (Pearl Slaghoople, Fred's bitchy mother-in-law) and not the hot Liz in her prime? I mean not fair to compare Kiner pictured here with drunk old Kiner from Kiner's corner.

He had
He surprised everyone with that first year as a starter. But after that, he was immediately figured out. Remember his second season at the start? Excitement for him was sky high, I think he was on the cover of the Madden game and was a popular fantasy football #1 pick, everyone assuming he was a star of the future? Thinking he'd throw for 20 TDs and run for 10 every year.
He had fat old white coaches who wanted him to be a fat old white QB. To be fair some of it was his own complaining he didn't want to be a "slash". That was balderdash. That's what he was effective doing. I doubt the coaches gave a crap about what he wanted though, so i blame them.

As far as his interest, I understand he (or his agent) realized that fat old white starting QB made more money (plus perhaps fewer injuries). But he actually could have been far more marketable (in fact, he originally was) continuing as a kick ass Slash than the mediocre drop back QB they turned him into.

I recall the broken play (against the Ravens i believe?) when he took it to the house from like 80 yards out on an amazing run, and the coaches were ticked at him. Head shake...

No wonder college football was more fun to watch then. The NFL is a bit more enlightened now, but even now we still hear old white pundits wheezing, "don't let Newton/RG3/Wilson run!!!". I guess that's cuz the owners spend so much money on em. But i don't care about them, i only care about M.E. ... My Enjoyment. :D

Reactions: imsteviemac
He had

He had fat old white coaches who wanted him to be a fat old white QB. To be fair some of it was his own complaining he didn't want to be a "slash". That was balderdash. That's what he was effective doing. I doubt the coaches gave a crap about what he wanted though, so i blame them.

As far as his interest, I understand he (or his agent) realized that fat old white starting QB made more money (plus perhaps fewer injuries). But he actually could have been far more marketable (in fact, he originally was) continuing as a kick ass Slash than the mediocre drop back QB they turned him into.

I recall the broken play (against the Ravens i believe?) when he took it to the house from like 80 yards out on an amazing run, and the coaches were ticked at him. Head shake...

No wonder college football was more fun to watch then. The NFL is a bit more enlightened now, but even now we still hear old white pundits wheezing, "don't let Newton/RG3/Wilson run!!!". I guess that's cuz the owners spend so much money on em. But i don't care about them, i only care about M.E. ... My Enjoyment. :D
fat old white QB....aka the old fat guys that win super bowls..

. :D

I was at that game, at old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, where the Colts played. Ravens went up 21-0 first half, Slash clinched it with that run. I think the final was Steelers 42-34. It was in '97 when he had that great 1st year as a starter, the 11-5 Steelers lost to Denver and Elway in the AFCCG. But in the regular season, they beat Denver with Kordell passing for 3 TDs and running for 2, so at the time it was reasonable to believe he'd be a star QB.

I was at that game, at old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, where the Colts played. Ravens went up 21-0 first half, Slash clinched it with that run. I think the final was Steelers 42-34. It was in '97 when he had that great 1st year as a starter, the 11-5 Steelers lost to Denver and Elway in the AFCCG. But in the regular season, they beat Denver with Kordell passing for 3 TDs and running for 2, so at the time it was reasonable to believe he'd be a star QB.
Hey we can debate our personal style preferences of what we like to watch all day... some like Slash, some like Kent Graham. But the point is Kordell Stewart was only "overrated" as a drop back passer... because nobody should have rated him highly for that role in the first place! He had far more talent that was woefully wasted.

Reactions: Pitt79
i said marc andre fleury in the pens thread, which caused one poster to go into full meltdown mode

if not him, who?

i think an argument can be made for jerome bettis, who else?
If your mother was an athlete, I'd go with her. Not as an athlete, but as a mother.

Back to Kendall for a moment......

It was Bonifay that decided to back up the brinks truck and pay the guy.

I think a lot of Pirates fans soured on Kendall...perhaps many believed he should have been a superstar...because he was paid like one......

He had

Well in the case of Kordell, he was part his own enemy. He was fine as a "slash". WR/RB/Situational QB. What is wrong with that? Why couldn't he have made a great career out of this? In this case, the same thing with Tim Tebow.

On a Pitt note, I always thought Walt did Rod Rutherford a great disservice by forcing him to be a pocket passer and Rod got fat, stayed home, and lost that explosiveness as an athlete that made him a 5 star recruit.

Ralph Kiner?....Ralph Kiner?.... Why? Was it his average of 42 hrs a year in Pittsburgh or was it that he only averaged around 110 rbis during that span?
It was because he batted 280 and because for part of that time he had left field fence brought in.
Maybe I'm wrong. But a 280 BA is not a HOF BA.

It was because he batted 280 and because for part of that time he had left field fence brought in.
uh, since he is in fact in the hall of fame, it is. Stargell batted 282. ....335 down the line (shortened length) is longer than pretty much every ballpark today. The dude could play. Definitely not overrated.

"I'll take Baseball Royalty for $1000"

Q: These Hall of Fame sluggers had a Batting Average lower than .280

A; Who are,

Ernie Banks?
Johnny Bench?
Carlton Fisk?
Reggie Jackson?
Eddie Matthews?
Willie McCovey?
Mike Schmidt?

Well in the case of Kordell, he was part his own enemy. He was fine as a "slash". WR/RB/Situational QB. What is wrong with that? Why couldn't he have made a great career out of this? In this case, the same thing with Tim Tebow.

On a Pitt note, I always thought Walt did Rod Rutherford a great disservice by forcing him to be a pocket passer and Rod got fat, stayed home, and lost that explosiveness as an athlete that made him a 5 star recruit.
Well, that's what I say as well (about Kordell). I guess others will say he made to to the afc championship game as a drop back QB. But I'll counter that he lost.
With Rod I'm not sure he was elusive enough to have been continuously effective as an "athlete" QB ... in fact he used to regularly frustrate by getting sacked when he looked like he could / should have eluded the rush. Perhaps that was Walt drilling it into him so hard to go thru his progressions and not take off. But as an example, thank goodness he did take off and run during the final possession of the VT game in 03 ... recall his gigantic scramble in a critical situation that set up the eventual winning td. Made you wish he had the freedom or the instinct (whichever) to have done it more.

A somewhat overrated Steeler was Alan Faneca. He was a road grader and reliable for sure, but was very mediocre at pass protection. He moaned about his contract heading into the 2007 campaign, then the Jets paid him handsomely in 2008 and the Steelers went on to win a Super Bowl without him.

Faneca was an OG on the All-Decade team. He was First Team All Pro 6 times and Second Team All Pro twice. So he was considered as one of the top 4 OGs on football every year from 2001-2008. To say he was overrated is silly.

I will go with Isaiah Epps.
Here was his bio on Pitt's site
A lefthanded combination point guard, Isaiah Epps is a quick, agile player with elite level speed. One of the nation's most prolific passers, Epps is a pass-first player who makes his teammates better. He has been compared to former Pitt point guard Levance Fields for his unique passing ability, shifty ball-handling skills and spot-up shooting in clutch situations. Epps can shoot the three, get to the hoop or knock down pull-up jumpers. On the defensive end, he is creative and his long arms enable him to get steals. He is an intense, hard working player with good speed, athleticism and court vision.

Extremely highly rated. Instead he made 1 shot at Pitt. 1-16 from the field and 0-12 from 3, 0-3 from the line. Absolutely terrible.

Just because people liked the way the guy played doesn't mean PGH thought he deserved to be in the HOF.

Somehow apparently Kendall was simultaneously the guy who was a superstar and yet so overpaid that his contract kept the Pirates from being able to be competitive. It's an odd conundrum, and yet somehow it is so.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
uh, since he is in fact in the hall of fame, it is. Stargell batted 282. ....335 down the line (shortened length) is longer than pretty much every ballpark today. The dude could play. Definitely not overrated.
I don't think he would get in today. But sure..uh...yeah it is a HOF BA.
But he was still over rated.
He hit home runs. 369 of them.
Stargell had 475 HRs and 500 more RBIs than Kiner.
No comparison.
Hell..Dave Kingman hit almost 100 More HRs than kiner.
Kiner in the HOF is a gift. He was voted in by a margin of 1 vote in his last year of eligibility. No other player was voted in that year. He lobbied NY writers for it.
Santa came early to the Kiner house.

Last edited:
He hit home runs.
So did Dave Kingman.

I think it's quite likely that Kiner wouldn't get in today too, but that's because his career wasn't long enough, not because what he did while he was playing wasn't good enough. His career OPS is 24th all time, which puts him ahead of guys like Cobb, Mays and Aaron. His OPS+ is 37th all time. That's pretty darn good. The problem is that he only played 10 seasons and only had 6200 plate appearances.

However the comparison to Kingman is silly. Kiner's on base percentage in his worst year was better than Kingman's in his best. Kiner's career slash line is .279/.398/.548. Kingman's is .236/.302/.478. One of those is much, much better than the other.

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
I literally have heard no Steeler fan anywhere at any time make that claim (Bubby-wise)...
You never heard Bubby Brister being called our next Terry Bradshaw lol.......ok!

Acually, i partied with him many times at confeddi's back in the day. Nice guy, however a VERY over rated QB. Same with Worley

5 Star recruit and first round bust, Jonathan Baldwin or McDonalds All American Khem Birch. It's a toss up to me. Huge promise, undelivered
Baldwin pulled some dumb stuff here but I wouldn't call him a bust ... at Pitt anyway. In NFL, oh yeah. But i'll recall his leaping catch against ND fondly.

Birch, he actually was getting decent PT before ... whatever happened that led him to bolt town. In retrospect, I think the meddling administration thwarted that situation before it could ever get anywhere. He obviously never went on to greatness after leaving here either but I dunno if it's fair to think he couldn't have developed into a productive player.

You never heard Bubby Brister being called our next Terry Bradshaw lol.......ok!

Acually, i partied with him many times at confeddi's back in the day. Nice guy, however a VERY over rated QB. Same with Worley
Bubby's story was similar to Bradshaw, so yinzers desperately wanted him to be as great and let them relive the glory days. But other than being from the same general area there wasn't much else to justify that faith.

Baldwin pulled some dumb stuff here but I wouldn't call him a bust ... at Pitt anyway. In NFL, oh yeah. But i'll recall his leaping catch against ND fondly.

Birch, he actually was getting decent PT before ... whatever happened that led him to bolt town. In retrospect, I think the meddling administration thwarted that situation before it could ever get anywhere. He obviously never went on to greatness after leaving here either but I dunno if it's fair to think he couldn't have developed into a productive player.

Both Baldwin and Birch were very good college players who for different reasons couldn't quite cut it at the next level.

Bubby's story was similar to Bradshaw, so yinzers desperately wanted him to be as great and let them relive the glory days. But other than being from the same general area there wasn't much else to justify that faith.

They both were from small schools in Louisiana. I think the comparison can stop there. Bradshaw was a consensus #1 overall pick in which teams offered their whole draft to the Steelers in exchange for the opportunity to pick him, Brister was a mid round pick whom people saw some potential.

Here are some names and thoughts.
Kordell Stewart.
Leonard Timmons
Jason Gildon
Alex Kovalev
Gary Roberts
Jason Bay
Johnny Ray
Garrit Cole
Mark Melancon
Gary Roberts might actually take the cake. I said this while he was still a penguin. He was somewhat of a cult hero in Pittsburgh. So well he was on the 07-08 team that made the cup finals and lost to Detroit, he dressed in all of 11 playoff games that year and had 4 points. He was hardly the contributor people made him out to be. No offense to Gary, he was a damn good hockey player. But his time in Pittsburgh was pretty ho-hum.

He hit home runs. 369 of them.
Stargell had 475 HRs and 500 more RBIs than Kiner.
No comparison.
Hell..Dave Kingman hit almost 100 More HRs than kiner.
Kiner in the HOF is a gift. He was voted in by a margin of 1 vote in his last year of eligibility. No other player was voted in that year. He lobbied NY writers for it.
Santa came early to the Kiner house.
uh, yeah playing 9 or 10 more years than Kiner will do that.. Kiner had a bad back from banging hot chicks like liz taylor and did not put in the pad the overall stats years..Pretty much averaged 10 more homer runs a year than Stargell . Averaged more rbis also. Like I said, not sure how a guy that averages 33 hrs a year for his career (even shortened career) is overrated.. And since the category was "Pittsburgh" athlete, the numbers for his time just there were off the charts great.

Reactions: imsteviemac
Both Baldwin and Birch were very good college players who for different reasons couldn't quite cut it at the next level.
The thing about Baldwin that was kind of maddening here was that he never developed his footwork on the sidelines.
Seemed sloppy in that regard. Multiple times he made fine catches but couldn't even get one foot down. Imo, that should have raised a flag about his ultimate pro prospects.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT