ADVERTISEMENT

You are the AD...get rid of one sport and add a new one (Men)

Wrestling would be more fun if it was more like real wrestling like the WWF. Because it is not, I can do without it.

Cut track and field and cross country. 2-for-1 for your money and add hockey and lax. 2 sports that have decent visibility.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I hope this is sarcasm. Wrestling is hands down the most entertaining Olympic sport
Maybe if you actually understand wrestling. I watched those 2 NCAAT matches and I had no idea about the rules or strategy or whatever. Plus, wrestling always seemed a bit....I dont know....2 guys in skin-tight onesies rubbing up against each other, getting themselves in awkward positions. Just saying. Makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I mean those dudes are tough as hell and all that, it just isn't a great thing to watch if you dont understand the sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celtsfan
I hope this is sarcasm. Wrestling is hands down the most entertaining Olympic sport
To each his own. But I would personally rank at least 15 sports over wrestling. Actually, I would rank every sport over wrestling, but that’s just me. No disrespect to those who wrestle at a high level because they are amazing athletes, but it’s just not for me.

Plus, wrestling always seemed a bit....I dont know....2 guys in skin-tight onesies rubbing up against each other, getting themselves in awkward positions. Just saying. Makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

There is nothing sexual about it, but if watching the sport causes you to doubt your sexuality you should get counseling to deal with that. It is 2021 and high time that should be able to love who you want.

Cut wrestling (no revs) tennis (no revs)softball (no revs) soccer (no revs). Strengthen T&F, where we've actually had success over the years.

Actually had success? Men’s soccer is ranked #1 in the country. Wrestling has been a top 25 program for a while. Didn’t softball almost win the ACC a few years back?

Pitt track has had a handful of individual performers succeed but I think they are middle of the pack ACC.

Actually had success? Men’s soccer is ranked #1 in the country. Wrestling has been a top 25 program for a while. Didn’t softball almost win the ACC a few years back?

Pitt track has had a handful of individual performers succeed but I think they are middle of the pack ACC.
T&F has been totally unfunded. No track. Alonzo Webb has done well w/o support. (I included soccer to troll the futbol fans.)

Reactions: bayardstreet
For all those who want to cut wrestling, what the hell are you thinking?

So you would get rid of the 1 and only and I mean the 1 and only sport Pitt could literally be top 5 year in year out, with a bad year being top 15? Yeah soccer is number 1 right now which is great even for a non soccer fan like myself. But can they continue that if this coach (who someone on here called the Saban of College Soccer) left to go elsewhere?

The talent in Pitt's backyard allows for a consistent top 5 team year in year out. Gavin is finally able to get them to stay home. To put it in football terms all Pitt wrestling needs to be a top program is a Wanny, Chryst, or Duzz type to lead the program. They don't need a Saban or Dabo type like those other sports would require for year in year out success.

yeah drop CC and add men's lax. perfect answer considering growth of the sport in PA and the historical success of ACC programs.

Since Pitt doesn’t even have an outdoor court, I’d cut tennis. Add ice hockey or lacrosse.

So they don't have an outdoor court but they are going to build or rent an ice rink for hockey? An outdoor court would be cheaper up front and long term. Now lacrosse is doable, they have or are building a soccer field.

So they don't have an outdoor court but they are going to build or rent an ice rink for hockey? An outdoor court would be cheaper up front and long term. Now lacrosse is doable they have or are building a soccer field.

Agreed, I guess I was assuming that hockey would share PPG or something like football with Heinz. No idea if that is plausible, but it would be better to go watch than tennis in Cost Center or wherever they play. Plus, it is at least a remote possibility given the area, to build Pitt hockey into a decent program.

I agree lacrosse would be the more realistic choice and would also fit better within the ACC.

It is pretty amazing that they have been able to keep the program without any facilities.
Not really costly in terms of equipment, travel, etc. Back in the 50's, Villanova won the NCAA's with a team of 6 athletes. But w/o a track and jumping pits, recruiting is really hard. We had some imported lady stars a few years ago.
My first spring in Pgh I decided to attend the Pitt Relays. I had been a regular at the Penn Relays (now a wonderful Jamaican holiday!). Walked into Pitt Stadium and found a seat with 24 other fans. 1968.

Alonzo worked for me from 1995-2000. He supported my orthopedic business. Then he went to Kent State for track position and then was hired back to Pitt. Prior to all of this he owned River City Elite track club. He mentored and coaches a lot of young people. You couldn’t ask for a better person to coach your kids. Keep track and build a facility.

Cut track and field and cross country. 2-for-1 for your money and add hockey and lax. 2 sports that have decent visibility.
I think this would be my answer as well.

Edit: It’d be bittersweet to pull the trigger on track and field, though, considering the history of the program.

Last edited:
Just goes to show how informed some of these opinions are.
Or it shows how little people care about tennis. We'll never win that award for excellence overall, that usually goes to Stanford. Cut down to 10 sports that appeal for an exception to T9. Plead terminal ennui.

Some of us have lives beyond sports. Like macremae and bonsai.

I did some digging and thought it was interesting that track and field is actually the sixth-highest revenue generating sports amongst FBS schools. Link

It’s a few years old, but I’m assuming the majority of that revenue comes from hosting meets? If that’s the case, would it be worth it to invest more in T&F? Not sure what the exact ROI would be (no idea what a track facility would cost).

I did some digging and thought it was interesting that track and field is actually the sixth-highest revenue generating sports amongst FBS schools. Link

It’s a few years old, but I’m assuming the majority of that revenue comes from hosting meets? If that’s the case, would it be worth it to invest more in T&F? Not sure what the exact ROI would be (no idea what a track facility would cost).
They’re already planning on building an indoor track.

I’m sure invitations are part of it, but I imagine a lot of it, too, is because T&F/XC teams typically have very large rosters and relatively small scholarship allotments, so the teams actually bring in a decent amount of “revenue” in terms of the tuition dollars that the athletes pay. They also have relatively little expenses, since you share coaches between men’s and women’s (you basically have one coaching staff for four teams). Track and cross-country are honestly among the biggest “bang for your buck” sports you can have behind football and men’s basketball. Swimming and diving is similar.

Not really costly in terms of equipment, travel, etc. Back in the 50's, Villanova won the NCAA's with a team of 6 athletes. But w/o a track and jumping pits, recruiting is really hard. We had some imported lady stars a few years ago.
My first spring in Pgh I decided to attend the Pitt Relays. I had been a regular at the Penn Relays (now a wonderful Jamaican holiday!). Walked into Pitt Stadium and found a seat with 24 other fans. 1968.
Expand on Penn Relays. I went in 2000 and saw Michael Johnson run. Amazing.

They’re already planning on building an indoor track.

I’m sure invitations are part of it, but I imagine a lot of it, too, is because T&F/XC teams typically have very large rosters and relatively small scholarship allotments, so the teams actually bring in a decent amount of “revenue” in terms of the tuition dollars that the athletes pay. They also have relatively little expenses, since you share coaches between men’s and women’s (you basically have one coaching staff for four teams). Track and cross-country are honestly among the biggest “bang for your buck” sports you can have behind football and men’s basketball. Swimming and diving is similar.
Thanks, that makes sense. It reminds of an article I ready about how UM-Kansas City and other mid majors should sponsor a football team with no scholarships for the purpose of generating revenue for their departments.

There is nothing sexual about it, but if watching the sport causes you to doubt your sexuality you should get counseling to deal with that. It is 2021 and high time that should be able to love who you want.
It is just a little odd to see 2 guys in the positions they get themselves in. I remember in one of those championship matches, one of the guys had the other in some type of hold where he had to have his arm up the other's butt crack. Its just awkward to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT