ADVERTISEMENT

1st try at a Pitt YouTube channel

Jeff_Hauser

Scholarship
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Over the years, I've collected about 560 TV broadcasts of Pitt basketball and football games solely as a hobby. I'm taking my first crack at a Pitt YouTube channel just for fun - no interest at all in ads, making money, etc. I have a day job!

I just uploaded my first broadcast - Florida at Pitt at the Fieldhouse from January 1988 on CBS with Charles Smith dominating Dwayne Schintzius - one of my all-time favorite games and ironic that both of my daughters ended up at UF.

If anybody has any requests for future uploads, let me know.

"" if you're curious.

H2P

Fantastic! Was that UF at Pitt hoops game the one where Rod Brookin was unable to play for academic reasons? Or am I mis-remembering?

Should be some great memories for those interested. How far back will you go? Would be great for some who never had the chance to see some full Pitt games from the Dorsett era. The 1975 ND at Pitt game is maybe my all-time favorite.

Or basketball from the Billy Knight days? Not sure any of that stuff is even available to be uploaded?

Over the years, I've collected about 560 TV broadcasts of Pitt basketball and football games solely as a hobby. I'm taking my first crack at a Pitt YouTube channel just for fun - no interest at all in ads, making money, etc. I have a day job!

I just uploaded my first broadcast - Florida at Pitt at the Fieldhouse from January 1988 on CBS with Charles Smith dominating Dwayne Schintzius - one of my all-time favorite games and ironic that both of my daughters ended up at UF.

" " if you're curious.

H2P
Pitt vs UConn - All the big games

" " if you're curious.

H2P

Thank you for this, this is amazing.

I would love to see the following:
Oklahoma at Pitt January 15, 1989
UConn vs Pitt March 15, 2003

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Fantastic! Was that UF at Pitt hoops game the one where Rod Brookin was unable to play for academic reasons? Or am I mis-remembering?

Should be some great memories for those interested. How far back will you go? Would be great for some who never had the chance to see some full Pitt games from the Dorsett era. The 1975 ND at Pitt game is maybe my all-time favorite.

Or basketball from the Billy Knight days? Not sure any of that stuff is even available to be uploaded?
You are correct about Brookin.

Thank you for this, this is amazing.

I would love to see the following:
Oklahoma at Pitt January 15, 1989
UConn vs Pitt March 15, 2003
The Oklahoma v Pitt game was my favorite game to attend except of course the BET ships

Reactions: Pitt MD
The Oklahoma v Pitt game was my favorite game to attend except of course the BET ships

I agree with you. These two are my favorites of all time. I was at both as well. The Oklahoma game was the first game I ever went to and winning the Big East Tournament for the first time. Both moments for me won't be surpassed.

You are correct about Brookin.

Yeah. Was watching and just heard Packer mention it. So the old recollection still works (at times)!

Had season tickets back then too so was in attendance at that one. The FFH was rockin’ pretty good that Saturday afternoon.

Thank you for this awesome! The old CBS theme music brings back good feels.

How about the Pitt/Marist NCAA game from ‘87? That would be a fun one to see.

" " if you're curious.

H2P

This is great Jeff -- thank you!

My request would be anything and everything you can find form the 2001-2002 season -- especially the NCAA games.

Oh … and if possible, can you block @caleco's from watching the channel?

" " if you're curious.

H2P
Excellent time to do this. I’d rather watch these games than most of the stuff that would have been on now anyway.

" " if you're curious.

H2P
This is really cool. Appreciate your efforts. I was too young to really see Clyde Vaughan. The year we beat G’Town with Patrick Ewing would be nice. The game Page dunked on Boumje at G’Town is another one.

I started the collection hobby around when I graduated in 1987. I was able to get 2 games from 1981 which included Clyde Vaughan, and I have a B&W silent video from 1956 with Don Hennon. On the football side, there are videos out there which I've copied which include Dorsett. I believe he ran for 300 yards in the 1975 game and yes I'll try and upload it at some point.

2008 Big East title win vs Georgetown please.
Any of the previous tournament games then if possible also.

This is amazing and much needed. Thanks for doing it

Reactions: Ski11585
Brian Shorter and Rod Brookin got the better of the matchup which included Mookie Blaylock and Stacey King on the other side. Billy Tubbs wanted no part of the Fieldhouse.

" "

Oh, yeah! Remember this one well. Brookin had a deadly corner jumper. Shorter - "the Ox" - was a great player. Just a devastating inside scoring force for a guy his size.

My seats were about halfway up in the upper level on the Pitt bench side (across from the students at that time) in the FFH. You could actually feel the stands move and sway a little up there when it was jam packed for a game like the OU game and everybody was jumping around.

Reactions: Nibblio
Oh, yeah! Remember this one well. Brookin had a deadly corner jumper. Shorter - "the Ox" - was a great player. Just a devastating inside scoring force for a guy his size.

My seats were about halfway up in the upper level on the Pitt bench side (across from the students at that time) in the FFH. You could actually feel the stands move and sway a little up there when it was jam packed for a game like the OU game and everybody was jumping around.

I was in the student section although I had graduated in 88. My wife (then girlfriend) was in graduate school as the time and I would use her student ticket.

Rod was a lot of fun.

This was the loudest game I ever experienced at the Pete.

Reactions: PittMan 72
I was in the student section although I had graduated in 88. My wife (then girlfriend) was in graduate school as the time and I would use her student ticket.

Rod was a lot of fun.

This was the loudest game I ever experienced at the Pete.

Rod passed way too young. Some VERY fun games back in the FFH during that time period, though. Outstanding talent at Pitt. Some excellent players on the opposing teams too.

Can remember some real raucous crowds and deafening noise even back before the seating expansion. Like in the great 1973-'74 season. The FH held 5,308 then (I think I recall that as the listed capacity). But it would get hot in there and noisy as hell when the place was packed.

Reactions: HOF Coach

" " if you're curious.

H2P

Check out Tim McCartney’s channel and upload anything he doesn’t have. Watch out though, YT pulled videos that had copyrighted music like what is used in highlight shows.

Thanks... you’re effort is appreciated!!!

Reactions: W1np1tt
Check out Tim McCartney’s channel and upload anything he doesn’t have. Watch out though, YT pulled videos that had copyrighted music like what is used in highlight shows.

Thanks... you’re effort is appreciated!!!

If YT pulls it, they pull it. We'll see what happens! Thanks for the heads up.

This is great Jeff -- thank you!

My request would be anything and everything you can find form the 2001-2002 season -- especially the NCAA games.

Oh … and if possible, can you block @caleco's from watching the channel?

pitt games i would watch. not the 1988 non pitt team vs non pitt team
dont see how any of that is entertaining. the pitt stuff is more nostalgic and makes a little more sense

pitt games i would watch. not the 1988 non pitt team vs non pitt team
dont see how any of that is entertaining. the pitt stuff is more nostalgic and makes a little more sense
Grouch!

:p

DT:
This is the second round of the 2012 tournament which was a South Regional game played at the Mellon Arena. Pitt's D was just suffocating - Cal shot 31% but only because of some meaningless layups late.
" "
Awesome!

I was there at the Arena and my recording didn’t work correctly so I’ve never seen the broadcast of this game.

Do you have Kent St game?

if its not a pitt game its like watching a televised civil war reenactment. nothing is learned or gained. its like lost time
I dunno. I enjoyed watching that game last night ... up to and including the 6th OT!

DT:
This is the second round of the 2012 tournament which was a South Regional game played at the Mellon Arena. Pitt's D was just suffocating - Cal shot 31% but only because of some meaningless layups late.
" "
Awesome!

I was there at the Arena and my recording didn’t work correctly so I’ve never seen the broadcast of this game.

Do you have Kent St game?
DT, with most of us trapped at home can you share a few fight stories from those 2000-11 Pitt teams?

I've always been mystified that Pitt shows so few clips of anything before Howland. I was not alive during Billy Knight's career and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a single clip of him.

DT, with most of us trapped at home can you share a few fight stories from those 2000-11 Pitt teams?

All I know is that Dick Groat used to get in and watch those teams practice. According to him they were pretty brutal.

I can remember Hillgrove quipping on the radio about what Groat had to say about what took place during those practices: "No autopsy; no foul".

I've always been mystified that Pitt shows so few clips of anything before Howland. I was not alive during Billy Knight's career and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a single clip of him.

Agree. Very hard to find what you're looking for. The linked clip with a few brief game moments is the best I could come up with of Mooney at Pitt. Some excellent testimonials on Billy from Bill Hillgrove, Kirk Bruce and Sam Clancy, too.

I saw Billy Knight play a LOT of games at Pitt in person. So fortunately I have recollections of many of them etched in my memory. He was just a fabulous player.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT