ADVERTISEMENT

1st try at a Pitt YouTube channel

Over the years, I've collected about 560 TV broadcasts of Pitt basketball and football games solely as a hobby. I'm taking my first crack at a Pitt YouTube channel just for fun - no interest at all in ads, making money, etc. I have a day job!

I just uploaded my first broadcast - Florida at Pitt at the Fieldhouse from January 1988 on CBS with Charles Smith dominating Dwayne Schintzius - one of my all-time favorite games and ironic that both of my daughters ended up at UF.

If anybody has any requests for future uploads, let me know.

" " if you're curious.

H2P

Is there a link?

Thank you for this, this is amazing.

I would love to see the following:
Oklahoma at Pitt January 15, 1989
UConn vs Pitt March 15, 2003

Pitt finally breaks through after making the BET finals 3 years in a row and wins the championship. This was a few weeks after Howland didn't take too kindly to Calhoun's attempt to praise the Panthers as being the best team even though they weren't the most talented.
""

Pitt finally breaks through after making the BET finals 3 years in a row and wins the championship. This was a few weeks after Howland didn't take too kindly to Calhoun's attempt to praise the Panthers as being the best team even though they weren't the most talented.
" "

Yeah, that comment by Calhoun was kinda the equivalent of poking a mean dog, that was chained up in somebody's yard with a stick; then finding out the chain was broken. o_O

Do you have the full game against Providence when Lane broke the backboard?

" "

Jeff … this is so wonderful! I could request games all night long!

Do you have the wins over ND and Syracuse in the 2000-2001 Big East Tournament?

Over the years, I've collected about 560 TV broadcasts of Pitt basketball and football games solely as a hobby. I'm taking my first crack at a Pitt YouTube channel just for fun - no interest at all in ads, making money, etc. I have a day job!

I just uploaded my first broadcast - Florida at Pitt at the Fieldhouse from January 1988 on CBS with Charles Smith dominating Dwayne Schintzius - one of my all-time favorite games and ironic that both of my daughters ended up at UF.

If anybody has any requests for future uploads, let me know.

" " if you're curious.

H2P

Any chance you have the 1992 win over Kentucky in the preseason NIT?

And of course, the whole 2008 BET.

Was at most of the games that Jeff has linked here so far, so never saw them on TV. Great stuff and great memories.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOF Coach
FYI to those interested in keeping copies of these in case Pitt/CBS/etc report it. I have used this tool in the past, 4K Video Downloader, on Mac (it also has Windows version that I haven't tried myself) and it allows you to copy the files that YouTube is otherwise streaming to your browser. You can select different quality options.

https://www.4kdownload.com/downloads

FYI to those interested in keeping copies of these in case Pitt/CBS/etc report it. I have used this tool in the past, 4K Video Downloader, on Mac (it also has Windows version that I haven't tried myself) and it allows you to copy the files that YouTube is otherwise streaming to your browser. You can select different quality options.

https://www.4kdownload.com/downloads

Great tool. I have not seen individual games pulled - only those Pitt highlight/coaching show videos from the 70s/80s where they had music playing during the plays. It was so bad, Tim had to pull his initial channel and re-up them under a new channel where thankfully they have stayed for a while now.

I've watched 3 Pitt games from Jeff's channel so far. Hopefully... this doesn't turn out like football where our only fix for Pitt greatness is YT.

Great tool. I have not seen individual games pulled - only those Pitt highlight/coaching show videos from the 70s/80s where they had music playing during the plays. It was so bad, Tim had to pull his initial channel and re-up them under a new channel where thankfully they have stayed for a while now.

I've watched 3 Pitt games from Jeff's channel so far. Hopefully... this doesn't turn out like football where our only fix for Pitt greatness is YT.

The only copyright claims I have seen just suggest that the uploader can't monetize off them. I have the monetization options turned off so I don't know why it would be an issue.

No specific requests, but thanks for doing this. Beyond the obvious nostalgic factor of seeing big wins and former Pitt greats in action, I always get a kick out of seeing the old games and how things have changed with broadcasts over the years.

I seriously am so happy that 09 UConn game is up. I usually ask if anyone has it once every 18 months or so. I’m so stoked.

The only downside of the UCONN ‘09 game is listening to Lundqvist and Raftery talk about what a national title threat Pitt is.

Here you go @HailToPitt725 - #3 Pitt beats #1 UConn for the second time that season led by Sam Young who scored 31.

" "
Man what a treat to rewatch that as I just did. Was in the zoo for this one. Here’s some thoughts as I reflect back on that.
*game started at noon. Believe it was the first Saturday of spring break. Hence people were trying to get in the Pete literally Friday so they would know they could be down low in the zoo and not get stuck up top. I remember they let us sleep in the lobby.
*I would have lost a bet that the 3 point line had been backed up the first time by then. What was the first year they started that?
*it was almost laughable how tall Thabeet was. I don’t ever remember seeing a guy even close to his stature. Even with his hands on his knees and hunched over he was taller than Blair. After a very well played and dominant first half he did absolutely nothing the final 20.
*Flyin Sam young was the best player on the court for the entire duration of that game. It’s almost funny to watch how on every UConn turnover or missed shot with a quick Pitt board he is flying up the court hoping for a fields lob. Myself along with several others will always claim his alley oop stuff with about 5 minutes left was the loudest the Pete has ever been. But his next jam that was an and 1 on another great feed from fields was just as awesome and basically clinched the game.
*funny to see how the uniform styles have changed over the years. Those shorts Sam had on could have fit Thabeet!
*I still badly ache for that teams ending. I truly think they were clearly one of the 4 best teams in basketball that year and they earned a spot in Detroit. Just wasn’t meant to be. I also think the “never got us to a final 4” mantra surrounding Jamie is unfair and a large amount of the perception around him and his career was altered by that Reynolds floater

The only copyright claims I have seen just suggest that the uploader can't monetize off them. I have the monetization options turned off so I don't know why it would be an issue.
Am I ignored? I asked about the full game Lane breaking the backboard against Providence. Are you able to post that Jeff?

Mr.Hauser, I thank you sir. I'm watching the Pitt vs Forida game you shared first. Even the commercials are great! It's like a time capsule taking me back to the days that seem so different now. Well done sir, well done!

Thank you for this awesome! The old CBS theme music brings back good feels.

How about the Pitt/Marist NCAA game from ‘87? That would be a fun one to see.

OK @JD1976 , this one's for you. Rik Smits was the big attraction for Marist although he wasn't a big factor in this one due to foul trouble.

""

Thanks Jeff. Chromecasting these will get me through these times with no sports. Much appreciated.

Am I ignored? I asked about the full game Lane breaking the backboard against Providence. Are you able to post that Jeff?
OK @PittPoker , you weren't ignored. For the rest of you - everyone has seen the dunk a million times. But there was a game before and after the dunk along with the fun of watching ESPN try and kill the time while the backboard was being replaced.

""

What about if someone simply enjoys it.

yeah...i know there are those that do.

i guess when i think about...in sports i like to see the histroy being made live. like being in the moment. it loses its luster for me when its like 20 years old and i know the outcome

I was in the student section although I had graduated in 88. My wife (then girlfriend) was in graduate school as the time and I would use her student ticket.

Rod was a lot of fun.

This was the loudest game I ever experienced at the Pete.
Sec FF, Row 15, seats 1 & 2. The Mrs. still talks about that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT