ADVERTISEMENT

20 minutes to game time and probably less than 10k here

H2P 2003

Sophomore
Sep 9, 2018
Guessing that real attendance number might not hit 20k. Hope I am wrong, but this is the worst I’ve seen it.

Herbstreit was on GameDay ripping Texas and how far they have fallen, he said to the level of Pitt------Pitt.
just sad .
Not good to get crushed at home on Primetime.

Holy heck, if what I’ve seen online is true, it’s not looking good. Might be the emptiest I’ve ever seen it for a game.

Reactions: kramerica415
I mean, until they show that they can field a competitive team, I’m sure not going. Don’t blame anyone who didn’t show up.

Reactions: kramerica415
Guessing that real attendance number might not hit 20k. Hope I am wrong, but this is the worst I’ve seen it.
Start cheating, pay players, fake grades, cover up crimes, beat Penn State 51-6 and the place will be full. And we'll all be happy! Who here will admit that if we where top 10 and 10-0 but you knew we where dirty as dog crap, you'd be on here complaining about it trying to end it? Anyone?

It’s exactly what it is.

Both were once perennial powers and now both have notoriously settled for mediocrity.

Herbstreit was on GameDay ripping Texas and how far they have fallen, he said to the level of Pitt------Pitt.
just sad .

It’s what I expected for GaTech. I had fun when the sun wasn’t crushing my face.

I’d say about 35k were there for the game.

Start cheating, pay players, fake grades, cover up crimes, beat Penn State 51-6 and the place will be full. And we'll all be happy! Who here will admit that if we where top 10 and 10-0 but you knew we where dirty as dog crap, you'd be on here complaining about it trying to end it? Anyone?
Still wouldn’t fill the stadium. It’s about culture not a game here or there. Pitt needs a coach to come in and build a football culture.

Reactions: rmf05
It's all true. But we spent all week patiently telling you why Pitt won't do it.

It’s what I expected for GaTech. I had fun when the sun wasn’t crushing my face.

I’d say about 35k were there for the game.

30K. They announced 15K for the Dortmund/Benfica game and if that was accurate, there was easily double that today.

just sad .

They aren't even close to falling to our level.

I used to go to all the games in the early 2000s in my late 20s ....... Heinz Field is just not a college stadium.
Pitt Stadum to me in the 80s was weird cause I was 8 and I have hazy memories.
Pitt needs fixed, they need people to care.

Reactions: rockypanther
Pitt has to pretty much start over. Despite the history it doesn’t work. Is it because they play off campus? No local pride and everyone is a Penn State fan now? It is sad. Times have changed and there is a lot more competition for people’s time and money. it’s too bad PSU didn’t get the death penalty. I used to live in Pitt but live in the south now. We love college football. The NE is all NFL

Yeah, 34K seems about right. It also makes sense given recent trends. Only 6k students was mildly disappointing. GaTech also probably brought fewer fans then Albany.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The crowd was better than I expected, all things considered after last week.

I burned my hide, but otherwise had a very nice time.

Oh, and the espn ahole from the school that gleefully condones beating spouses, Pitt exceeds, and i'd go as far to say far, far exceeds, Texas in accomplishment this past decade, considering the relative budgets.

These scumbags from schools that assault boys and women as common practice should not throw stones.

Pitt does need to start over , in fact every year they get another chance to start over . The Fb program is a problem they can't fix in a single yr unless the Tide start wearing the blue and gold . It probably would take 10 yrs of playing excellant Fb to build any fan momentum for a program so long mired in ineptness .
I know the PSU game is only one game , but that one game cost them any kid wavering between the two schools in the state of Pa for another yr . Honestly ask yourself if you were a 4 or 5* kid and it came down to Pitt or PSU where are you going ? Would you rather play before 109,000 or 25,000 ? Would you rather play conference games against OSU and Michagin or Ga Tech and Wake Forest ? Do you want to go to a meaningful bowl game or the I Don' t Care Bowl every now and then ? The recruits have gotten over PSUs issues and their are larger more revired institutions who have covered up far more .
Until Pitt can compete with PSU , OSU or ND in recruiting how can they ever field a team that the fans will support ?Great coaching is their only chance , but not when they have zero chance of holding on to any assitants who excels (Canada ) and will only hire unproven coordinators w/o any HC exp .
For Pitt to change it's culture they need to empty the vault and go out and hire a great coach . They need to double someone's salary with a 10 yr contract and bring in the best assitants in the country ......it's not going to happen , winning Fb games isn't that important to them .

Pitt does need to start over , in fact every year they get another chance to start over . The Fb program is a problem they can't fix in a single yr unless the Tide start wearing the blue and gold . It probably would take 10 yrs of playing excellant Fb to build any fan momentum for a program so long mired in ineptness .
I know the PSU game is only one game , but that one game cost them any kid wavering between the two schools in the state of Pa for another yr . Honestly ask yourself if you were a 4 or 5* kid and it came down to Pitt or PSU where are you going ? Would you rather play before 109,000 or 25,000 ? Would you rather play conference games against OSU and Michagin or Ga Tech and Wake Forest ? Do you want to go to a meaningful bowl game or the I Don' t Care Bowl every now and then ? The recruits have gotten over PSUs issues and their are larger more revired institutions who have covered up far more .
Until Pitt can compete with PSU , OSU or ND in recruiting how can they ever field a team that the fans will support ?Great coaching is their only chance , but not when they have zero chance of holding on to any assitants who excels (Canada ) and will only hire unproven coordinators w/o any HC exp .
For Pitt to change it's culture they need to empty the vault and go out and hire a great coach . They need to double someone's salary with a 10 yr contract and bring in the best assitants in the country ......it's not going to happen , winning Fb games isn't that important to them .

It's a problem the dipshit admin created over decades, and it will take decades to fix. And it won't be fixed playing at the Steelers' stadium. More than likely, it can't be fixed.

Right, even the students had other things to do. Probably all going to the steeler game

1.) no school has covered up anything worse than what psu covered up

2.) playing in front of 30k vs 109k is FAR down the list when recruits pick schools

The rest, I agree. The ACC sucks balls for football compared to the B10. I don’t care if Clemson wins the national title every year for the next 50 years, the B10 will always have a better perception for fooltball than the ACC and the tv contract confirms that.

I think your born a Pitt fan or born a peder.
We need more good guys.........

I agree. The game day atmosphere absolutely blows at Heinz Field. I can’t help but think that there has to be a bit of a left down when the team comes charging out of the tunnel and sees at least 55,000 empty seats EVERY week. Outside of the Penn State game, there are never more than 15,000 people in their seats with the team hits the field. It’s disgusting how apathetic the fan base is. And there are so many factors that contribute to it, it doesn’t matter. I’m to the point where I just say F it, I’m going, and I’m done worrying about attendance, perception, whatever. Start winning games, and see what happens. And a spoiler; they aren’t ever going to average more than 50,000 or so. It is what it is. Pitt will always be the fourth team in this town, possibly even the fifth behind Penn State. It sucks, but it’s reality. If the scandal didn’t change it what the hell else would?
Now that Pitt will be offering a journalism major, maybe we can have some pro-Pitt media in this town in the next several years.

No, it isn't.

How many high school kids or college coaches have you interacted with over the past 10 years?

I can tell you flat out that coaches on the DW staff knew it wasn’t as high as fans thought it was and were able to recruit around it with things that matter like PT, NFL pipeline, Oakland experience, player to coach relationship etc. I can tell you that i’ve had that conversation with Junko and Gattusso.

I agree. The game day atmosphere absolutely blows at Heinz Field. I can’t help but think that there has to be a bit of a left down when the team comes charging out of the tunnel and sees at least 55,000 empty seats EVERY week. Outside of the Penn State game, there are never more than 15,000 people in their seats with the team hits the field. It’s disgusting how apathetic the fan base is. And there are so many factors that contribute to it, it doesn’t matter. I’m to the point where I just say F it, I’m going, and I’m done worrying about attendance, perception, whatever. Start winning games, and see what happens. And a spoiler; they aren’t ever going to average more than 50,000 or so. It is what it is. Pitt will always be the fourth team in this town, possibly even the fifth behind Penn State. It sucks, but it’s reality. If the scandal didn’t change it what the hell else would?
Now that Pitt will be offering a journalism major, maybe we can have some pro-Pitt media in this town in the next several years.
You are a pitt fan , congrats.

No, it isn't.
Then the recruits and their handlers are fools, because the trend is lower attendance. Money is driven by the tv contracts, and that's because more and more the viewers are watching on Tv or streaming video.

It's clear the majority of great prospects don't give a squat of academics (other than guarantees of having the inconvenience of academics taken care of, like at UNC) so i won't insult anyone suggesting they should care about ours. But if they still rate attendance higher than the coach, conference, playing opportunity, NFL prep, amenities, etc. ... things players DO normally worry about...maybe it really can't be fixed for us then.

I always say, “if you want to play in Heinz Field on Sundays, you should probably play there on Saturdays“. I would assume, especially for the four and five star players, that would be an important thing. But, apparently it’s not.

How many high school kids or college coaches have you interacted with over the past 10 years?

I can tell you flat out that coaches on the DW staff knew it wasn’t as high as fans thought it was and were able to recruit around it with things that matter like PT, NFL pipeline, Oakland experience, player to coach relationship etc. I can tell you that i’ve had that conversation with Junko and Gattusso.

I didn't t need to talk to one student to know that visiting a game when there are 100k fans there is a huge advantage compared to visiting a game when there are 35k there.

Then the recruits and their handlers are fools, because the trend is lower attendance. Money is driven by the tv contracts, and that's because more and more the viewers are watching on Tv or streaming video.

It's clear the majority of great prospects don't give a squat of academics (other than guarantees of having the inconvenience of academics taken care of, like at UNC) so i won't insult anyone suggesting they should care about ours. But if they still rate attendance higher than the coach, conference, playing opportunity, NFL prep, amenities, etc. ... things players DO normally worry about...maybe it really can't be fixed for us then.

They aren't fools. Seeing a team play in a half empty stadium that clearly is designed for another team is an indicator of the type of overall support they will receive as a player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT