Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
3 different bids

Spain/Portugal/Ukraine

Greece/Egypt/Saudi Arabia

Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay/Chile

The Greece/Egypt/SA bid is interesting. 3 different continents

Morocco is also bidding again.

And last year there was an announcement that Israel, Bahrain and the UAE were considering a joint bid. That would be interesting, but I don't think there's enough bribe money in the whole world to make that happen.

But if there is, FIFA will find it.

Reactions: mike412
Morocco is also bidding again.

And last year there was an announcement that Israel, Bahrain and the UAE were considering a joint bid. That would be interesting, but I don't think there's enough bribe money in the whole world to make that happen.

But if there is, FIFA will find it.
Some of these bids are out there. What's next? China/Fiji/Ghana? Or England/Moldova/Malaysia?

Ukraine? Seriously, that would be a consideration?
Ukraine hosted the final of the Champions League in 2018 (I think). Assuming that by 2030, they have all of their land back and are far enough along on the rebuilding, there would be a lot of sentimental/political reasons for awarding them a part of it. I suspect that is why Spain and Portugal added them to their joint bid.

The Olympic Stadium in Kyiv is beautiful, and before the Russian invasion, the stadium in Donetsk was almost as nice. Lviv has been almost untouched by the war, as have the cities near the Slovakian, Hungarian and Romanian borders.

If they do get the bid, I don’t think it would be wise to schedule any Russian, Belarusian, Hungarian or Iranian matches there.

Ukraine hosted the final of the Champions League in 2018 (I think). Assuming that by 2030, they have all of their land back and are far enough along on the rebuilding, there would be a lot of sentimental/political reasons for awarding them a part of it. I suspect that is why Spain and Portugal added them to their joint bid.

The Olympic Stadium in Kyiv is beautiful, and before the Russian invasion, the stadium in Donetsk was almost as nice. Lviv has been almost untouched by the war, as have the cities near the Slovakian, Hungarian and Romanian borders.

If they do get the bid, I don’t think it would be wise to schedule any Russian, Belarusian, Hungarian or Iranian matches there.
They also co-hosted Euro 2008 with Poland.

Not just Lviv, Eastern Ukraine has been largely untouched. If the war is over by then, I am sure Russia would be placed in Spain or Portugal if they qualify. If the war isnt over, Russia would be banned from qualifying, I'd guess. If it becomes a decade-long smaller scale conflict in the East, I think Ukraine would still host with Kyiv and Lviv being the host cities similar to Canada with Toronto and Vancouver.

I’ve been to Kyiv and played in several stadiums before it became Ukraine, yes beautiful, but in the current state of Ukraine, nuclear PP issues and instability, there is absolutely zero assurance Ukraine is even Ukraine in the future. Infrastructure rebuilding could take along time or even at all depending on what Russia decides to do. Seems to be a nice gesture but what can we even guess cost to make suitable for hosting will be. I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but the level of uncertainty rests on the hands of Russia and when they decide to scale up or back off. I don’t see Russia backing off anytime soon, not to mention Putin neighbors that support him and their willingness to do something.

I’ve been to Kyiv and played in several stadiums before it became Ukraine, yes beautiful, but in the current state of Ukraine, nuclear PP issues and instability, there is absolutely zero assurance Ukraine is even Ukraine in the future. Infrastructure rebuilding could take along time or even at all depending on what Russia decides to do. Seems to be a nice gesture but what can we even guess cost to make suitable for hosting will be. I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but the level of uncertainty rests on the hands of Russia and when they decide to scale up or back off. I don’t see Russia backing off anytime soon, not to mention Putin neighbors that support him and their willingness to do something.
Its going to be a 10 year or more long "occupation" I think, probably not a hot war anymore after a few more years. But who knows.

It would be easy for FIFA to move games out of Kyiv and Lviv and into Spain/Portugal if Putin's war is still going on in 2030

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT