ADVERTISEMENT

3rd tier?

I honestly can't argue the rank much considering much more of our recent history has been a joke vs. impressive. Think of our coaching chaos alone since 2010. We're lucky we weren't buried in a FIFTH tier.

But I'd hardly get too upset. Yes somehow this rambling collection of rantings and his "non-scientific" (ya think?) list found a media company willing to publish it (it was Fox, so take that into consideration). But it wasn't much more legit (if at all) than time-waster threads I've seen in the off season on our boards. Many of our posters actually go far and above this.

At least it wasn't as bad as that "Notre Dame football commits to the ACC" tripe from last week that was really a whine about UConn being snubbed.

Which reminds me, wonder what are the biases of THIS writer? I sniffed Big Ten whore in his prejudices...leaving PSU in despite 1 good year in 15, while not raising Washington for the same...the snide "OSU could go 0-12 and still be king" ... and raising Northwestern, despite it's best win in memory being over US (which we lost it more than they won it).

So let ME throw a list together and you'll see some REAL juicy prejudices. Why not? It'll be as scientific. Which is to say, not at all. Which to his credit he admitted about his, even though it crushed his own legitimacy.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Which reminds me, wonder what are the biases of THIS writer? I sniffed Big Ten whore in his prejudices...leaving PSU in despite 1 good year in 15, while not raising Washington for the same...the snide "OSU could go 0-12 and still be king" ... and raising Northwestern, despite it's best win in memory being over US (which we lost it more than they won it).

He is a Northwestern grad. He does exhibit a Big 10 leaning. But I fail to see the Fox references. He was a long time SI writer, and most of those guys write for a lot of publications in their career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_Mandel

He is a Northwestern grad. He does exhibit a Big 10 leaning. But I fail to see the Fox references. He was a long time SI writer, and most of those guys write for a lot of publications in their career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_Mandel
I'm not hip to many sports writers. The Northwestern connection says it all though. Verifies my disregard for his content.

He actually has talked up Pitt in the past. And frankly surprising Pitt didn't drop with changing conf, AD's,chancellors and self imposed coaching fiasco sanctions.

Last edited:
I can't really disagree with putting Pitt in the third Tier based on that grouping. If Pitt can get some stability, no reason why they couldn't be considered in the 2nd Tier. 1st Tier would require a lot more $$$$$, Success, and Fan Base.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Good thing Mandel relegated Nebraska to "Barons". That's an elite "Kings" group and Nebraska deserves not to be included with the empires.
What exactly is it going by? Recently? Doesn't sound like it's all time.

Truthfully, does anyone think Pitt belongs higher on that list? Honestly? Speak up. We are where we should be.

I don't know if I could consider Miami a "King" however. I know alot of you trash Penn State, but think of it this way, how many programs could survive all that went on up there, and less than 5 years after it all went down, win a Big 10 title. That is a King, a "too big to fail" program.

WVU definitely deserves its drop. It is amazing to think just how high they were, I mean they were winning 10-11 games with ease. Now they are back to reality a bit.

Not sure I would put Illinois and Syracuse on the 3rd tier. They seem more like peasants to me.

I would agree to that. If Penn State belongs where it is, then so does Nebraska. Their last championship is more recent than PSU's and they have been at about the same level, excluding last year.

Plus if you are going to downgrade Nebraska, wouldn't you downgrade Michigan as well?

In an all time list you really wouldn't put Nebraska among the elites?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pittx9
I would agree to that. If Penn State belongs where it is, then so does Nebraska. Their last championship is more recent than PSU's and they have been at about the same level, excluding last year.

Plus if you are going to downgrade Nebraska, wouldn't you downgrade Michigan as well?

No. Nebraska ain't what they used to be. But neither is Miami. Again, in regards to Penn State, to go through what they have and in 5 years they win the Big 10.......again, they are a King.

Truthfully, does anyone think Pitt belongs higher on that list? Honestly? Speak up. We are where we should be.

I don't know if I could consider Miami a "King" however. I know alot of you trash Penn State, but think of it this way, how many programs could survive all that went on up there, and less than 5 years after it all went down, win a Big 10 title. That is a King, a "too big to fail" program.

WVU definitely deserves its drop. It is amazing to think just how high they were, I mean they were winning 10-11 games with ease. Now they are back to reality a bit.

Not sure I would put Illinois and Syracuse on the 3rd tier. They seem more like peasants to me.
I already said above that Pitt could well be at the bottom and probably would be, without the last couple decent regular seasons.

As far as the Pitt admin giving a sh*t about it... if they gave even half a sh*t, we'd be higher. It's frustrating to realize how much potential benefit they squander, knowing how sports crazy WPA is and the bonanza Pitt would reap if it was in the 'top tier' of this list. As it is Pitt is likely actually higher on this list than the investment they put into it warrants.

But we all know this.

Regarding the rest, as mentioned it was exposed that it was Big Ten centric. PSU certainly had a good season but it was really it's first relevant in nearly 20 seasons. For the moral and financial sacrifice they make they woefully have underachieved. They should also be penalized, aka ostracized, for The Scandal. If baseball leaves Ty Cobb, Rose, Bonds et al out of HOF as a symbol that bad behavior like racism, gambling , etc. doesn't negate productivity but shouldn't be rewarded either... it more than applies for child rape too. They should be snubbed and shunned at every opportunity... If not by the gutless NCAA and sleazy networks and sponsors, then at least by media that claim to be 'high minded'.

That irrefutable aspect of it stated, if you somehow lack complete morality to overlook above, I suppose i don't dispute the inclusion, but if one good season can matter so much for them, how can you not bump up Washington for an even better one?

revenge is correct.

if this list came out just 3 short years ago....when Pitt was a 6-6 program with no clue...we would likely have been ranked in the bottom group.

we are labeled correctly at this time, whether you like the writer or not.

Reactions: Ol_Roy
Come on the guy is not that far off. It is a recent past (last 30 years)for Pitt without any historical consideration. A school like Baylor is also a knight and has had some recent success but does not have any historical significance.
It is all about the interplay of perception and reality - and asking yourself when does one become the other?

Lol. Do you know the meaning of that word??

You make a idiotic post about the list.. what's wrong with the list? I already know what you will complain about, it's your obsession..

Whoa! An idiotic statement? He gave his opinion just as you did. Nothing idiotic about it.

I believe the list is accurate, but that's just MY opinion.

YOUR statement is the one that's moronic....

I already said above that Pitt could well be at the bottom and probably would be, without the last couple decent regular seasons.

As far as the Pitt admin giving a sh*t about it... if they gave even half a sh*t, we'd be higher. It's frustrating to realize how much potential benefit they squander, knowing how sports crazy WPA is and the bonanza Pitt would reap if it was in the 'top tier' of this list. As it is Pitt is likely actually higher on this list than the investment they put into it warrants.

But we all know this.

Regarding the rest, as mentioned it was exposed that it was Big Ten centric. PSU certainly had a good season but it was really it's first relevant in nearly 20 seasons. For the moral and financial sacrifice they make they woefully have underachieved. They should also be penalized, aka ostracized, for The Scandal. If baseball leaves Ty Cobb, Rose, Bonds et al out of HOF as a symbol that bad behavior like racism, gambling , etc. doesn't negate productivity but shouldn't be rewarded either... it more than applies for child rape too. They should be snubbed and shunned at every opportunity... If not by the gutless NCAA and sleazy networks and sponsors, then at least by media that claim to be 'high minded'.

That irrefutable aspect of it stated, if you somehow lack complete morality to overlook above, I suppose i don't dispute the inclusion, but if one good season can matter so much for them, how can you not bump up Washington for an even better one?
Pete Rose and Ty Cobb should be in the Hall of Fame and Hitler built good roads.

PissU shouldn't be on any list of any kind, unless there's a list of the most perverted, delusional fanbases. And if some numbnuts has the balls to include them, maybe they're on tier 3. They haven't won anything for a long, long time and last year they weren't even the best team in a weak B1G. I know, the perverts will say they won the B1G championship. But they still weren't the best team in a very mediocre league.

But I stand by my original statement. PissU is not on any list of football powers, since they shouldn't even be playing football for a long, long time and should be severely penalized beyond the weak penalties they supposedly already had.

I like the comparison listings but they are not separating the Program from Current Teams with a few, still a good listings but just pure opinions on rankings.

Wisconsin is a King now in the B1G and has been for over a Decade. Miami is still recovering and rebuilding its own program just like Pitt. They have Coach Richt and Recruits abound just within City Limits of Miami and has put up good teams but still has problems as a Program.

Penn State has a Powerful Program and always has had since 1970s. WVU Program is also a Baron in my view. Pitt is rebuilding and just in PN 3rd Year and ACC 5th year and that is fair at this time.

...the perverts will say they won the B1G championship. But they still weren't the best team in a very mediocre league.

I just like to make this clear, people just don't get it? Champion has nothing to do with being best team. In all honesty, I'd rather WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP and be a lesser team subjectively. BEST TEAM is a subjective, opinion based thing. CHAMPION is an objective thing, based on winning certain games that the rules define as determining champion.

If Pitt goes 7-5 but wins the division, then beats a 12-0 Clemson or FSU in the ACCCG, they are the CHAMPION. I'd prefer that to being the "best team".

Ped St's results on the field is hardly a top program. Their results off of the field should be an embarrassment to anyone who has their full complement of 23 pairs of chromosomes. I'm guessing you're missing a few.

What wrong with the list?

They are elite since all of Pennsyltucky shows up to tailgate in the Yoder pasture.

Ped St's results on the field is hardly a top program. Their results off of the field should be an embarrassment to anyone who has their full complement of 23 pairs of chromosomes. I'm guessing you're missing a few.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT