ADVERTISEMENT

A few post game thoughts

President Stache

Heisman Candidate
Dec 4, 2010
Overall this game was certainly an exhibition, and was run that way by the coaches. So difficult to really learn a lot from the game and most question marks are still there. But in general:

- Our dline, without blitzing hot little pressure consistently. We had the ball 41 minutes though, so the D was only on the field 19 minutes. We didn’t se a lot of bench guys making plays due to this

-Oline was “ok”, think we will miss Jacoby a lot, glad we had this game to get the backup game playing. We mauled and milked the clock all second half to run clock, and we’re successful doing that so that is a plus

- Jurkovec looks good overall, certainly didn’t see any big throws. He is much better when he stands up in the pocket and can make an overhand throw. He did this several times, I think he will do well, missed a few big throws, had a couple mistakes but it’s game one

- C’bo seems like this years V. Davis, he seems to be the guy that will get far more carries than he should. Hammond is the #1, Carter should be 2 and we need a home run hitter for 3 (Lloyd? Davis?) but C’bo is again, a good overall back, blocks well, I’m not going to complain.

-defense obviously played great, Kamara was all over the place, Dbs were not tested. Bland game, who knows where we will be but it’s clear we didn’t suck yesterday. Guessing the competition was the biggest reason why.

- Bub Means looked legit better. I think he will be good. None of the “great” 4 freshman really played much. We need them

-TE room looks stacked. 4 legit good TEs. This is tremendous for future success. I think lots of 3rd and 5’s will be converted by these guys

- we didn’t see anything opened up. Seeing Che take the end around was fantastic, kid is a burner. Will be the occasional weapon although need him in more to not tip off the play. I can see him in to run fly patterns to wear cbs out

Look forward to next week. I’m slightly less optimistic we can win a high-scoring game like UNC will be (Maye is really good, and 2 of their top receivers didn’t even play). Cincy QB is much better than Woffords, he was at Florida and Arizona St before Cincy, 6 year guy, isn’t going to make many mistakes: if we can stand up next week I’ll be a lot more optimistic about this years version of our panthers

A couple of my own thoughts:

*Pitt has now won 6 in a row. The longest streak in the Narduzzi era. Let's see how far they can go...

*After watching Veilleux, I’m not convinced that he’s better than Yarnell.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Well, the plane vanilla offense plus even throttling that down to burn 2nd half clock doesn't tell us much of anything about him, IMHO.

I think the first quarter game planning made it seem more bland and worse than it really was. Like the let us run on 3 and longer than 5 and even running on 4th and 3. I get it’s an FBS team and you should be able to impose your will on them, but would think they would want more practice throwing as they won’t be able to run it on everyone.

Nonetheless, solid win when in years past it might not be so. They are now favored by FPI in 9/11 remaining games. Take care of business and they are 10-2, etc.

Pitt executed 2 clean punts yesterday too. That’s a big deal if we flashback to last year.

Reactions: joeydavid
A couple of my own thoughts:

*Pitt has now won 6 in a row. The longest streak in the Narduzzi era. Let's see how far they can go...

*After watching Veilleux, I’m not convinced that he’s better than Yarnell.

Veilleux I thought looked very good. He first long ball was perfectly thrown, just the defender was playing 20 yards deep and was right there.

My take: yes, an exhibition for sure - but a well-needed one going into the next four games. Better to work through the minor flaws against a Wofford than to expose them against UC, WVU or NC/VT.

As for Jurk, his best quality (IMO) was being able to read through the progressions calmly. Slovis couldn't do that at all. I also think Phil's ability to run the read/option is an improvement/needed change for our QB. Kenny was certainly a better-than-average runner; Phil does it with deception. I was faked out at least twice by his option runs, as was the defense and the ACCN cameras

Glad to see so many second and third stringers get PT in the fourth quarter. Unlike @pittmeister I thought Christian looked the part of a competent backup

And finally, is it me or have the Panthers continued to gradually get faster with each new season under HCPN?

Overall this game was certainly an exhibition, and was run that way by the coaches. So difficult to really learn a lot from the game and most question marks are still there. But in general:

- Our dline, without blitzing hot little pressure consistently. We had the ball 41 minutes though, so the D was only on the field 19 minutes. We didn’t se a lot of bench guys making plays due to this

-Oline was “ok”, think we will miss Jacoby a lot, glad we had this game to get the backup game playing. We mauled and milked the clock all second half to run clock, and we’re successful doing that so that is a plus

- Jurkovec looks good overall, certainly didn’t see any big throws. He is much better when he stands up in the pocket and can make an overhand throw. He did this several times, I think he will do well, missed a few big throws, had a couple mistakes but it’s game one

- C’bo seems like this years V. Davis, he seems to be the guy that will get far more carries than he should. Hammond is the #1, Carter should be 2 and we need a home run hitter for 3 (Lloyd? Davis?) but C’bo is again, a good overall back, blocks well, I’m not going to complain.

-defense obviously played great, Kamara was all over the place, Dbs were not tested. Bland game, who knows where we will be but it’s clear we didn’t suck yesterday. Guessing the competition was the biggest reason why.

- Bub Means looked legit better. I think he will be good. None of the “great” 4 freshman really played much. We need them

-TE room looks stacked. 4 legit good TEs. This is tremendous for future success. I think lots of 3rd and 5’s will be converted by these guys

- we didn’t see anything opened up. Seeing Che take the end around was fantastic, kid is a burner. Will be the occasional weapon although need him in more to not tip off the play. I can see him in to run fly patterns to wear cbs out

Look forward to next week. I’m slightly less optimistic we can win a high-scoring game like UNC will be (Maye is really good, and 2 of their top receivers didn’t even play). Cincy QB is much better than Woffords, he was at Florida and Arizona St before Cincy, 6 year guy, isn’t going to make many mistakes: if we can stand up next week I’ll be a lot more optimistic about this years version of our panthers

The thing I liked more than anything else is when Jurk looked off 2 different receivers before hitting the third progression. That’s something even Pickett had trouble with. It’s not the same as running out of the pocket and finding someone, he actually went through progressions.

Reactions: Steeltheone
—Phil J’s arm did not impress on the 10 to 20 yard throws. Could be a problem against better defenses…

—We finally woke up on the value of RB Daniel Carter.

—MJ seemed a bit reckless as the punt returner. Hoping he tones it down.

Go Pitt.

Reactions: ChooChoo Panther
My only thought is that it is beyond ridiculous that Pitt played a game against Wofford. Same with Ole Miss playing Mercer and Georgia playing UT Martin.

My take: yes, an exhibition for sure - but a well-needed one going into the next four games. Better to work through the minor flaws against a Wofford than to expose them against UC, WVU or NC/VT.

As for Jurk, his best quality (IMO) was being able to read through the progressions calmly. Slovis couldn't do that at all. I also think Phil's ability to run the read/option is an improvement/needed change for our QB. Kenny was certainly a better-than-average runner; Phil does it with deception. I was faked out at least twice by his option runs, as was the defense and the ACCN cameras

Glad to see so many second and third stringers get PT in the fourth quarter. Unlike @pittmeister I thought Christian looked the part of a competent backup

And finally, is it me or have the Panthers continued to gradually get faster with each new season under HCPN?
Not saying Christian played “bad”. It’s more of a compliment to Yarnell. I really liked what he showed in limited action last season. I think next year there should be a legit competition between the two for the starting job.

Not saying Christian played “bad”. It’s more of a compliment to Yarnell. I really liked what he showed in limited action last season. I think next year there should be a legit competition between the two for the starting job.
I'm sure there'll be a competition for the starting job next year. This year's was Jurk's job barring any total f-ups.

As for which QB would take over if Phil gets injured, I'm pretty sure Christian would get it based on what he did in the spring game as well as summer camp. And of course there are the recruits @ QB as well as portal transfers.

Yarnell showed us his talents and leadership in last year's WMU game. But we're not at practices nor in the locker room. I'd like to hope that PN and FC, Jr are analyzing them accurately

Reactions: FireballZ
My only thought is that it is beyond ridiculous that Pitt played a game against Wofford. Same with Ole Miss playing Mercer and Georgia playing UT Martin.

I have no problems with it. We play 3 other P5 teams OOC. No one else does that and I think Pitt was ranked somewhere as having one of the most difficult schedules in the country. Compare with Michigan's schedule of zero P5 OOC (although they play one more conference game than the ACC).

I always enjoy opening with a jobber on Labor day weekend

I have no problems with it. We play 3 other P5 teams OOC. No one else does that and I think Pitt was ranked somewhere as having one of the most difficult schedules in the country. Compare with Michigan's schedule of zero P5 OOC (although they play one more conference game than the ACC).

I always enjoy opening with a jobber on Labor day weekend
I would like to see college football shift the scheduling model. If you want an FCS jobber, you have the option Week 0. Get some consistency with conference games. If it's a 9 conference game model, 1 optional FCS Week 0, 1 G5, 2 P5 (I guess P4 now) non-conference, 9 conference games.

I did too honestly.

I think we have three good QBs

It is not even a little ridiculous.

We have one the toughest OCC schedules in the NCAA, Ridiculous would be playing 4 wofford type teams as Georgia is doing this year and what Paterno did for years to try to pass up Eddie Robinson.

Honestly I think you SHOULD start the year with a team like this, it’s safer for the players, you can work in fundamentals and you are more ready for the season.

Cincy was only supposed to win 6 games per vegas line, but they look good from game one

They have a really good nose tackle and DE. Good QB, a burner WR and a RB from LSU that looked good as well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT