ADVERTISEMENT

A few QUALATATIVE observations that might be tough going to quantify but I will try.

mdpitt

All American
Sep 9, 2002
Last year was by far the most I have stood up and cheered out loud in 25 plus years. Larry Fitzgerald years were close but the defense was a lot better in those years. Nathan Peterman was a Maestro and we scored enough points to allow our horrible defense as part of the entertainment.

This year was by far, not even close, the least I have moved to cheer for the entirety of the season. The last few minutes of Virginia Tech started to change my feelings, but the end was a kick to the mid-section. I have been warning my friends and family all season long that this was the last of my very long string of years as a season ticket holder. I walked into the Stadium with a 1% chance Pitt could win.

Everyone is raving about Pickett and rightfully so but yesterday was the first time I really saw the Michigan State Defense that I thought would change Pitt’s trajectory in College Football. The Pitt secondary was disruptive. The Pitt Linebackers were disruptive and the D line was a bit of a black hole that also pushed people.

I’m renewing my tickets without a doubt for next year. Call me excited to see what Pitt is capable of next year. I would love to see some Jucos come in for that offensive line.

On to some observations on game day that some may label as superficial but here it goes. The Field Conditions have been incredible this year. I really appreciate that logo and would love to see them in the end zones too although that’s being greedy. Pitt should pay extra to have new turf with an obnoxious PITT script between the hash marks. It can be done every single game for a small price. I really like what they have done with the cheerleaders making them look similar to the traditional USC type look. People may roll their eyes but I like it. Whoever was in charge of the music going up to the last possible millisecond of Miami’s snaps, it makes a difference. It’s legal and needs to be exploited every single game. The placement of Sweet Caroline was perfect. I can live with that. In my opinion the song should not be allowed with a losing scoreboard. It’s the end of the song that’s genius that carries into the opponents next snap for momentum and good feelings. The “ Just a Friend” song was funny by Biz Markie. If my ears were correct it mocked the U by the abnoxious “ Oh baby Uuuuuuuuuuu, you got what I need “ really got under the skin of the Hurricane fans around me. It shut them up with their tails between their legs. I might be off on my interpretation but that’s what I thought the intent was.

So here is my proposal for next year in Tarps and an idea for Students. I say Pitt basically offers the entire upper deck facing the City in the endzone for any game at a reasonable price to the opposing team. If they don’t buy that large block of tickets, so be it. It’s on them. Give them the very best view of Pittsburgh and a chance to “take over the Stadium” with their presence. I frankly don’t care that Penn State will make that section a sea of White. Let them spell out PSU, I don’t care. If anything it will remove their fans from the lower bowl and they will likely have a better time as guests. Secondly, I would move all the students to the Club Seats under the scoreboard. Give them the best student amenities for refreshments at a discounted subsidized price. Have the spillover of students in the other endzone. It would improve the atmosphere. The upper decks from the endzone to the 30 yard lines need to be tarped with a big Pitt Logo. As an alternivie and maybe a better one is to completely tarp the HOME upper deck and force people onto the Visitor upper deck for a more TV friendly appearance. If you were watching on TV, you would never know the Home Upper deck is tarped.

Yesterday was a pivotal game for Pitt’s trajectory. I don’t want a Bowl Game as yesterday can’t be beat for an ending to a season. I am left with wanting more and that will come with game number 1 next season.

Please extend Narduzzi today. I don’t care what people say but I believe he is uniquely qualified for what Pitt is and what it is not. I believe he can work with that to get us to an ACC Championship game. Getting to Charlotte is my realistic 3 year goal. Once we get there, who really knows. Just get there.

Yesterday filled my cup of optimism................enough. It’s not overflowing but it is much more full.

The key is the defense.

That is what I EXPECTED with the Narduzzi hire. You have that and A QB, and we compete with anyone.

We aren't going to have the depth of talent in every position as Alabama. However, if THAT is the defense you see, along with a very good QB, then this program can be nationally relevant.

If we are nationally relevant, then a lot of the fan and stadium debates are solved. People will love this program

I'm sure some of it was missed shots by Miami.....but the difference between that D and the Ok st game defense was the most I've ever seen.

So moral of the story -- keep playing great defense and build a new tradition around it.

Disagree as we shouldn't be letting PSU fans buy season tickets because it will lead to embarrassing empties. You remember Scott Barnes bragging about our season ticket record two years ago. That was a fraudulent statement. PSU should be sold separately as a one off at a much higher price except for the loyal current ticket holders who should be allowed to buy as many extra tickets they want or within reason at a discounted price. Pitt is certainly entitled to make as much money on that game as possible to make up for the other games where the demand isn't there.

Tarping is for minor leagues and leads to more negative recruiting. The bottom line is we need to build on yesterday's win and announce the stadium proposal and how much it will cost to fund it. Put it in the fans hands. If we don't get it done by raising the money, shame on us.

Otherwise, the rest of the games should be sold at a ridiculously cheap price which is something Pitt has been lost on. I think it should be general admission and a total of $25 for the season tix package (not including PSU). Make it attractive because those are the games we are having an issue selling out. Whatever isn't bought through the ticket office should be on stub hub starting at $5. If it's 30,000 tickets, then so be it. The NY Jets do it and today's customers buy on stub hub and not through the tix office. Another option is for your worst game on the schedule which is usually your first game, have a buck night. $1 ticket, food specials and beer specials. That's what fans like the best. Pitt needs to think outside the box and we have failed at this. Same with Hoops.

Otherwise, the rest of the games should be sold at a ridiculously cheap price which is something Pitt has been lost on. I think it should be general admission and a total of $25 for the season tix package (not including PSU). Make it attractive because those are the games we are having an issue selling out.

That is, quite simply, the dumbest ticket selling idea ever. If we complain about empty seats now, just how many empty seats do you think there are going to be when people only have to pay $25 for a season ticket package? Anyone who just wants to go to one game could buy a season ticket on the off chance that maybe they'll go to a second. And if they don't, who cares, all they spent was $25 anyway so it's not like they are losing any real money. And since we only charged $25 for them, your plan has the added "benefit" of making sure that Pitt doesn't make any money either.

Tickets were available basically for free for the last couple of games. How much of an attendance bump did that give us? Tickets have been available dirt cheap on Stub Hub all year, How much of an attendance bump did that give us?

Thinking outside the box is fine. Dumb ideas that are "outside the box" are still dumb ideas.

Reactions: UPitt '89
Good post.

It was tough to go from a team with so much talent and a record-setting offense (albeit a terrible defense) to a team in transition this year. However, looking back, this team left some wins on the table and their young talent developed nicely. The win on Friday was huge in building enthusiasm moving forward.

Pickett is a guy who can energize the program, but you're right, a year in the strength and conditioning program and the defense can finally develop into one of the top in the ACC. The defensive backs were making plays on the ball, the defensive line began to generate a rush as the season progressed. This unit definitely continues to move in the right direction.

Game Day Atmosphere:
*The field has been in great shape since they changed how they managed it years ago. Replace between the hashes midseason and then a brand new field after the WPIAL games. A larger logo and Pittsburgh in both endzones would be great, but whatever.
*Pick a color scheme and go with it. The signage has the current colors, the old colors. Merchandise has about 20 different color combinations. There's no identity other than the script. Pick one.
*The pregame outside the stadium, the band, etc. is great. The tailgate scene and boats during the warmer months really adds to it. Also loved more band music and less on the PA system this year. I'd also like to see less ADD from the PA music guy. Way too many song switches during breaks and too often kills the organic nature of fans cheering and actually can quiet the crowd.
*Loved Sweet Caroline after the win. After having it moved around this year, it felt forced and I prefer it between the third and fourth (when comparing the two). It'd be like the Steelers playing Renegade in the first quarter, just doesn't make sense.
*The music guy cranked the volume and pushed the envelope with the music right to the brink of the snap.
*Close off the upper deck endzone and the away upper deck. Create a packed crowd in the lower bowl and upper deck on the home side for the band and it keeps the locker room access for the home team. The TV cameras rarely pan up to the upper deck anyway, not worried about that. They can get the crowd shots from the otherside if needed.
*Put the students in the entire end zone so the sound projects out to the entire stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT