ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts this evening ...

DThGKBjW0AECS23.jpg

I'd like to here the story of just exactly how it was that that happened.

Reactions: pitt-girl
"And if Pitt decides Stallings must go, it would seem that becomes the most unattractive P-5 head coaching job in the country."

Sadly, I am of the opinion that this happened before Stallings ever got here. Pitt became one of the least attractive hoops coaching jobs in the country when much of the fan base and Pitt administration decided that Dixon deserved the bum's rush treatment.

The whole "Dream job at TCU" farce would never have happened except that it was made plain to JD that all of his hard work had earned him little but disdain. With a fan base so unappreciative of a quality coach like JD, what coach in his right mind would want the Pitt job?

That is how it is. The damage is done. We might see Pitt hoops rise to mediocrity at some point in the future. Then again, maybe not. Get used to it.

Signing off,
'Cuse

That's the point. If there is a reason the Pitt job isn't attractive, it's because the Pitt boosters and administration pushed Dixon, one of the best coaches in the country, out the door to hire a lump. Why would any coach worth anything want to work at a place that pushes out successful coaches for no good reason other than some boosters wanted someone else?

That's the point. If there is a reason the Pitt job isn't attractive, it's because the Pitt boosters and administration pushed Dixon, one of the best coaches in the country, out the door to hire a lump. Why would any coach worth anything want to work at a place that pushes out successful coaches for no good reason other than some boosters wanted someone else?
Stop it already with your stupid lies!!!

Perhaps you could enlighten us with some of those names of coaches who reached out to Pitt and were interested in the job. Since you know it all, I would love to hear some of the names. You are blowing smoke as usual. No one, and I reapeat, no one wanted to follow Dixon, our most successful coach ever for two reasons.

1) Everyone knew they would be replacing a Pitt legend.

2) the most important reason, is that Dixon had the program set up for failure, by recruiting at just such an awful level for a coach who had such a recent run of unprecedented success at Pitt.

This is why I said Stallings would be a scapegoat. Anyone who signed on the dotted line was going to be the scapegoat for Dixon's program imploding recruiting. It could have been anyone, just so happened that we wound up with KS.

In another post, I mentioned this will be a long and painful rebuild. Coaches around the country know what happened here. They may be discussing candidates to replace KS, but I am telling you now, You are going to be crying again, when you see who he is replaced by.
Wrong.

0 inside info.

Nice names. When KS is let go, don't hold your breath waiting for one of them to come here.
And that is all they were nice names.

Painter is still at Purdue - he never was leaving

Wade is at LSU - he would be there if he took the Pitt job for a year

Keatts is at NC St - he would be there is he took the Pitt job for a year

See also Archie Miller, Underwood and Holtman.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
And that is all they were nice names.

Painter is still at Purdue - he never was leaving

Wade is at LSU - he would be there if he took the Pitt job for a year

Keatts is at NC St - he would be there is he took the Pitt job for a year

See also Archie Miller, Underwood and Holtman.
This is all false.

Reactions: rockypanther
We missed them all because the decision to hire Stallings was already made. Your insistence no one was interested is compete bullsh!t.
We missed them all because none of them are stupid and into career suicide, but our administration at that time was stupid and into killing the program that was half dead already thanks to Dixon!

Reactions: gary2
We missed them all because none of them are stupid and into career suicide, but our administration at that time was stupid and into killing the program that was half dead already thanks to Dixon!
Wrong. The admin didn't want those better options. The admin made a terrible mistake because they let morons make the choice and line their friends' pockets.

Reactions: Pitt MD
You are a liar and know nothing! You've been spewing lies on this board for 15 months and you should be blacklisted for it!

Please quit addressing me on this board. I don't respond to idiots and morons who know nothing about Pitt basketball or what really happened and is happening while insulting those who do. You are now on Ignore.

Pitt was a dumpster fire after Willard, and we managed to hire Howland. Pitt football was in the toilet bowl in the early 70’s, but went out and hired JM1. The admin. has to want to win. That is the one common denominator when we turned things around.

We (meaning the Pitt administration and some boosters) made our bed, now we have to fix it. This job is a desirable job if the administration wants to win, as you said, and knows where to look to get a coach. That's the ultimate question. Do any of them know where to look for the right coach at this time to fix this?

** No sense pilling on the performance we watched today. It was as bad as we all thought it was.

** I'm no longer worried about just how bad things are (because that it is pretty evident), but the much more important question is where do we go from here?

** It's completely evident, at least to me, that the issue isn't that just that this team is young, but instead that we just aren't nearly talented enough. Or in other words, it's pretty clear in my mind that this group (even with the additions of Luther, Ellison, Kingsby and Golden) is not even an NIT team next year.

** Of course, they will get better as they grow, but to think they leap far from the very bottom of the ACC is a mistake.

** So, even if you don't agree with me that the talent we have is quite substandard, then aren't you at least somewhat concerned with the attitude and effort our team brought to the court today?

** In the off-season, most of us agreed that we wanted to see a team who played hard, with a chip on their shoulder, regardless of wins and losses. That wasn't what we watched today.

** Today, I watched a team more or less going through the motions. We were never really in this game. 39-20 on the boards? surrendering 47.3 FG?

** Still, I've never been one in the "coach must go" camp. In fact, most often I fight against this notion.

** Also, I don't think Stallings is incompetent, or at least not nearly to the extent that many of his detractors think that he is.

** Nonetheless, I have to think that if Stallings can't recruit at an NCAA tournament level, nor can he get the players he does have to play at their best, it's certainly worth questioning whether or not he should continue past this year.

** And regardless of what one thinks of Stallings, it's impossible to not make note of the fact the bottom has completely fallen out of the program in regards to fan interest. It's a fact that interest was greater in the days of the Eastern 8. This matters.

** Regardless of what I think, I'm now of the belief that it's far from a given that Stallings will be here past this season. If this comes to pass, I just don't know if it a good thing.

** I believe every program is much better off with coaching continuity. With as bad as things are, are we better off with a new coach if it means someone like Marcus or Shamiel leaves with a coaching change? I just don't know. Do we have to get even worse to get better. And if we get worse, is it even possible to get better?

** And if Pitt decides Stallings must go, it would seem that becomes the most unattractive P-5 head coaching job in the country.

** So ... obviously, I just don't know what to think at this point in regards to where we must go. But we are as bad off as I feared we might be at this point.

** Knowing that I'll be at every game the rest of this year and beyond, I'd surely like to know what I should look forward to.

Pretty honest analysis. Normally, I agree that coaching continuity is a good thing, but having continuity when things are rapid deteriorating is not a good thing. I can't really tell much about Stallings coaching because the players he trots out are so damned bad. I do know that if there was any hope of Stallings turning Pitt around he would have to bring in a couple of classes of top flight recruits. He's not even close, worse yet, there is absolutely no indication that recruiting will improve anytime soon. We are in a death spiral. Better to cut our losses and at least attempt to get things moving in a new direction. All that said, I predict that Pitt will sit on their hands for at least another year before making a move.

Cruzer

Reactions: Haydman
I hear more and more Pitt fans expressing their total hopelessness with the current coach and state of the program. It wasn't like that 6 months ago, even though many realized it back then. This isn't going to get better. It will, in all likelihood, get a lot worse until he's gone.

I hear more and more Pitt fans expressing their total hopelessness with the current coach and state of the program. It wasn't like that 6 months ago, even though many realized it back then. This isn't going to get better. It will, in all likelihood, get a lot worse until he's gone.
Look what happened the last time the fanbase became involved. Let the new AD do her job. I think she's more than capable.

I believe you are unfortunately correct. A buyout may be expensive, but continuing this path with the base becoming more and more apathetic, may be even more costly.

Look what happened the last time the fanbase became involved. Let the new AD do her job. I think she's more than capable.

I agree. I definitely don't want some big mouth, big money boosters getting involved again in any way. Lyke has to make this search count. My question is...is she capable of doing it?

Reactions: jctrack
I believe you are unfortunately correct. A buyout may be expensive, but continuing this path with the base becoming more and more apathetic, may be even more costly.

It really discouraging when you're leaving the game and you hear so many Pitt fans being so apathetic or just bad-mouthing the program right now. And can you blame them?

It really discouraging when you're leaving the game and you hear so many Pitt fans being so apathetic or just bad-mouthing the program right now. And can you blame them?

Can’t really say I blame them. It is a shame so many feel that way. Many may disagree on the right way to make the program great, but we all want the program to be great. There is just no positive outlook right now.

we just aren't nearly talented enough. Or in other words, it's pretty clear in my mind that this group (even with the additions of Luther, Ellison, Kingsby and Golden) is not even an NIT team next year.

You must know more about basketball than I do because I have a hard time ascertaining how talented they actually are since watching them is like watching a pick-up game and just a bunch of one-on-one play. As far as that goes... true... you have to be talented to pull that off in any league.... even the 40+ league. Hell... this team would probably be .500 in a local 40+ league.

The bottomline is this guy doesn't do any coaching. Did he at Vanderbilt? I dunno... he seemed to just let them play. Which is fine... if you have some talent. But for him to get up there and preach about commitment and effort is about as disingenuous a coach of his ilk can possibly be. Who the f' does he think he is fooling?

Reactions: TheDeanofPgh
Pitt was a dumpster fire after Willard, and we managed to hire Howland. Pitt football was in the toilet bowl in the early 70’s, but went out and hired JM1. The admin. has to want to win. That is the one common denominator when we turned things around.

I know, I love how some of these fanboys take it upon themselves to say "this is the worst job in P5 conferences" because some boosters wanted Jamie out and Jamie saw what he had and saw a great opportunity at his alma mater and cut and run. This program, the Williard years, the off the courts antics, the old facilities and we still managed to hire an up and comer in Ben Howland because we decided we wanted to be good in basketball and we used some of the "right" connections to gage interest.

I know, I love how some of these fanboys take it upon themselves to say "this is the worst job in P5 conferences" because some boosters wanted Jamie out and Jamie saw what he had and saw a great opportunity at his alma mater and cut and run. This program, the Williard years, the off the courts antics, the old facilities and we still managed to hire an up and comer in Ben Howland because we decided we wanted to be good in basketball and we used some of the "right" connections to gage interest.
Dixon created a great opportunity-
Tcu was a doormat until last season.

In fairness.

There is no certainty that the next coach will be Ben Howland 2.0, but at best, we can hope for a young up and comer who is winning, and who has a staff that can recruit. A couple players can make a difference.

For sanity sake, I still hope KS can show me something, but I do grow less and less encouraged. I know coach K praised KS's offensive mind. But he did not say anything about KS's defense and general coaching. Which seems to be lacking. You can tell some of the freshman on our team have talent, but KS does not seem to be able to put them into a position to succeed.

If Pitt is going to make a change, they should do it soon. We don't want to lose any more recruiting cycles.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Dixon created a great opportunity-
Tcu was a doormat until last season.

In fairness.

Yeah I am fine with giving him credit, obviously he has done well so far there and that is all on him. That wasn't my point. I am not saying that Jamie walked into a plug and play situation, just a program that had a very low bar on expectations with now renewed money and focus on basketball, where any type of success will be met with appreciation. Not that unlike what he had when he was part of Ben's staff when he came here.

Sir DT - I've enjoyed reading your wisdom filled scrolls for many moons.

Regarding your third bullet point on the talent on the team - out of curiosity what makes you convinced that the current level is so unacceptable after only four conference games?

I can rattle off a dozen or so knights of the Panthers who looked on the level of this current group of freshmen. Maybe a handful were a bit better and you could argue a handful were worse. Did you see anything in the players listed below that you don't see currently?

Sir Patterson (handful of duels before redshirt)
Sir Woodall (handful of duels before redshirt)
Sir Biggs
Sir Graves
Sir Mcghee
Sir Robinson
Sir Wanamaker
Sir Luther
Sir Cam Wright (redshirt year)
Sir Kendall
I'll throw Sir Zanna and Sir Gil Brown in as well based on that they needed a redshirt year and logic dictates they wouldn't have performed well as true frosh.

Patterson, Woodall and Wanamaker became excellent knights who slayed many foes in glorious battle. You could arguably put Zanna in that category as well. The rest were/are complimentary squires whose performance varied between serviceable to admirable in supporting roles. All became plus players who would contribute in battle on most good high major teams.

Does Pitt need more knights? Absolutely. Has the goalpost moved? Absolutely. Would I bet any gold pieces or put a second mortgage on my castle keep betting on the success of King Stallings? No.

I remain cautiously optimistic that Davis, Stewart, Carr and Stevenson can become knights. At worse they've done nothing to show they won't develop as admirable squires. I'm less optimistic on the bigs unfortunately.

I do feel that our new king deserves that chance to see these current soldiers become upperclassmen. Assuming the bottom doesn't completely fall out with transfers etc.

Reactions: gary2

For the Howland hire, I believe Howland was recommended to Pitt by Sonny Vacarro-not by some expensive search firm.

Pitt's track record with search firm recommended hires (football and most recently basketball) has been an unmitigated disaster.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
For the Howland hire, I believe Howland was recommended to Pitt by Sonny Vacarro-not by some expensive search firm.

Pitt's track record with search firm recommended hires (football and most recently basketball) has been an unmitigated disaster.
Lyke Hired 2 excellent soccer coaches. She should implement the same hiring process with the basketball search.

Lyke Hired 2 excellent soccer coaches. She should implement the same hiring process with the basketball search.
Hopefully she started this process already. Not saying KS wont get 1 more year, but she should get her short and long lists ready.

Sir DT - I've enjoyed reading your wisdom filled scrolls for many moons.

Regarding your third bullet point on the talent on the team - out of curiosity what makes you convinced that the current level is so unacceptable after only four conference games?

I can rattle off a dozen or so knights of the Panthers who looked on the level of this current group of freshmen. Maybe a handful were a bit better and you could argue a handful were worse. Did you see anything in the players listed below that you don't see currently?

Sir Patterson (handful of duels before redshirt)
Sir Woodall (handful of duels before redshirt)
Sir Biggs
Sir Graves
Sir Mcghee
Sir Robinson
Sir Wanamaker
Sir Luther
Sir Cam Wright (redshirt year)
Sir Kendall
I'll throw Sir Zanna and Sir Gil Brown in as well based on that they needed a redshirt year and logic dictates they wouldn't have performed well as true frosh.

Patterson, Woodall and Wanamaker became excellent knights who slayed many foes in glorious battle. You could arguably put Zanna in that category as well. The rest were/are complimentary squires whose performance varied between serviceable to admirable in supporting roles. All became plus players who would contribute in battle on most good high major teams.

Does Pitt need more knights? Absolutely. Has the goalpost moved? Absolutely. Would I bet any gold pieces or put a second mortgage on my castle keep betting on the success of King Stallings? No.

I remain cautiously optimistic that Davis, Stewart, Carr and Stevenson can become knights. At worse they've done nothing to show they won't develop as admirable squires. I'm less optimistic on the bigs unfortunately.

I do feel that our new king deserves that chance to see these current soldiers become upperclassmen. Assuming the bottom doesn't completely fall out with transfers etc.
As weird as the construct of this post is, it compares the freshman to some of there best case scenarios. However, the bigger problem is those guys had Bair, Young, Fields, etc. as lead guys around them. We have nothing like that coming or developing. So, even if we get 4 best cases (without transfers) out of our current guys we still are missing the guys that actually make the big difference.

Reactions: Sir Salad Face
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT