ADVERTISEMENT

A USFL Revival?

Its amazing to me that nobody can get a Spring football league to work.

Its not difficult. Put teams in the following markets and people will go to games and watch on tv

Birmingham
Orlando
Memphis
Columbus
St. Louis
San Diego
Mexico City (why not?)
New York City (Columbia's stadium to actually be in the city)
Omaha (nobody loves sports like Nebraskans)
Portland
Sacramento
Raleigh
Norfolk
Louisville
etc

50 teams with one named after each state. Players from state play on their team. Put the teams in the state capitols

If you had even the slightest interest in the old USFL, go read Football For A Buck.

I was 8 years old and was in love with the USFL. In fact, a Maulers game was the first professional sporting event I attended in my life. In true Maulers fashion, they blew a 21-0 halftime lead.

Why? Is there truly a need for this?? It is funny how less and less kids are playing the sport, and the sport is linked to CTE issues among others, the answers are to continue to give us more football. More football. One reason I believe football is so popular, is compared to 162 game, 82 game seasons, the endless golf and racing, even soccer seems to have no end, football has a nice defined season that seems short in comparison but why I think it helps in its popularity.

50 teams with one named after each state. Players from state play on their team. Put the teams in the state capitols
One of my ideas was a league of state or regional teams. To qualify for a team, you would have had either went to HS or college there (academy "national" HS's dont count).

These would be the teams:
New England
NY/NJ
PA
MD/VA/DC/Delaware
WV/KY
Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Wisconsin/Minnesota
Iowa/Nebraska
Dakotas/Montana/Wyoming/Idaho
Oklahoma
Kansas/Missouri
Tennessee
Arkansas
Louisiana
Texas
Mississippi
Alabama
Florida
SC
NC
California
Washington
Oregon
Colorado
Utah
Arizona/NM/Hawaii/Alaska

28 teams
- each team has at least 3 D1 teams to pull from plus guys who left home to go to college elsewhere

I'd also do this like soccer promotion/relegation so that Cal, TX, FL, OH, Louisana, Alabama, etc are in the top division while a state like PA would probably bounce between the 1st and 2nd divisions.

- home games split between several cities in the state

This would be an enormous spring success.

One of my ideas was a league of state or regional teams. To qualify for a team, you would have had either went to HS or college there (academy "national" HS's dont count).

These would be the teams:
New England
NY/NJ
PA
MD/VA/DC/Delaware
WV/KY
Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Wisconsin/Minnesota
Iowa/Nebraska
Dakotas/Montana/Wyoming/Idaho
Oklahoma
Kansas/Missouri
Tennessee
Arkansas
Louisiana
Texas
Mississippi
Alabama
Florida
SC
NC
California
Washington
Oregon
Colorado
Utah
Arizona/NM/Hawaii/Alaska

28 teams
- each team has at least 3 D1 teams to pull from plus guys who left home to go to college elsewhere

I'd also do this like soccer promotion/relegation so that Cal, TX, FL, OH, Louisana, Alabama, etc are in the top division while a state like PA would probably bounce between the 1st and 2nd divisions.

- home games split between several cities in the state

This would be an enormous spring success.
I like how you tied soccer and some bonehead football scheme that completely ignores sanity in with the USFL. Beautifully seamless flow of stupidity.

I like how you tied soccer and some bonehead football scheme that completely ignores sanity in with the USFL. Beautifully seamless flow of stupidity.

And then declared that it would be an enormous success. Unlike every other spring football league. Just because SMF said so.

Reactions: pittdan77
I don't know how they keep finding investors for these spring football leagues when years and years worth of evidence shows they aren't a viable concept.

It’ll be fun for nostalgic reasons but I’m not sure how viable this league, or any spring football league, will be. Perhaps they can take advantage of their USFL identity and try to maneuver their way into that XFL/CFL partnership?

On a side note, since we’re talking about start-up sports leagues, I say this at the risk of being laughed at: I’d love to see a legitimate professional ultimate frisbee league work. I honestly think it’s a made-for-TV sport with the type of athletic plays on display. Strike a deal with the ESPN family networks, get a few ex-major sports league athletes in on it, rent out some MLS/USL stadiums and they’d be good to go.

It’ll be fun for nostalgic reasons but I’m not sure how viable this league, or any spring football league, will be. Perhaps they can take advantage of their USFL identity and try to maneuver their way into that XFL/CFL partnership?

On a side note, since we’re talking about start-up sports leagues, I say this at the risk of being laughed at: I’d love to see a legitimate professional ultimate frisbee league work. I honestly think it’s a made-for-TV sport with the type of athletic plays on display. Strike a deal with the ESPN family networks, get a few ex-major sports league athletes in on it, rent out some MLS/USL stadiums and they’d be good to go.
I don’t know how visible it is, but I think there is a pro league for ultimate. I follow the one broadcaster who does a lot of our ACC basketball games (Evan Lepler) and he is always posting about it.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
And then declared that it would be an enormous success. Unlike every other spring football league. Just because SMF said so.
Not sure about an enormous success but it would be the best way to do a Spring League, no question.

Lets be honest here. How many of you are going to watch a USFL game between the Orlando Seagulls and St. Louis Snipers? What's the point?

Now, what if Pennsylvania was playing Ohio and PA has, 8 former Pitt players starting? What my league does is give just about everyone a rooting interest and it steals from the college footballish "state pride" thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT