ADVERTISEMENT

A very real Opportunity to finish the season strong (recruits too)

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
Pitt has 13 ACC games left.

-Torvik has Pitt favored by at least 9 points in 6 of those games as of today.

-According to the current ratings, Pitt has 8 games left against teams outside the National Top 100.

-Only 4 games against Top national 50 teams left on the schedule (5 if you count Wake Forest using the rpi)

10-3 should be the goal for this team which puts us at 22-9 to finish the regular season. That should be enough I think to get in the tournament. Our remaining schedule is seriously not that hard, acc teams or not. We have proven we can win on the road with this team.

Pitt sits tied for 2nd place in the conference right now.

On top of that,

Brandin Cummings was just named the mvp of the Burger King Classic and was 4th all time in scoring in the event at over 30 points per game.

Jaland Lowe just recently dropped 40 points and destroyed Kordelius Jefferson, a 4 star top 100 guard headed to Houston. He is seriously in the running for Texas state player of the year.

And Carlton Carrington, after being arguably the best player at the Jordan Classic, just broke the scoring record at the MLK Classic going for 42 points (7-12 from 3) and 7 assists tonight. He is also surging.

It wasn't long ago Judah Mintz decommitted and this team was in shambles a year ago with quite a few people wanting change for the head coach. Capel has a chance to turn non believers into believers in the next couple months. Lets see if this team can get the job done before passing the torch to the talented newcomers. The opportunity is there for the taking. Capel and this team need to get the job done.

-According to the current ratings, Pitt has 8 games left against teams outside the National Top 100.

-Only 4 games against Top national 50 teams left on the schedule (5 if you count Wake Forest using the rpi)

10-3 should be the goal for this team which puts us at 22-9 to finish the regular season. That should be enough I think to get in the tournament. Our remaining schedule is seriously not that hard, acc teams or not. We have proven we can win on the road with this team.

On top of that,

Brandin Cummings was just named the mvp of the Burger King Classic and was 4th all time in scoring in the event at over 30 points per game.

Jaland Lowe just recently dropped 40 points and destroyed Kordelius Jefferson, a 4 star top 100 guard headed to Houston. He is seriously in the running for Texas state player of the year.

And Carlton Carrington, after being arguably the best player at the Jordan Classic, just broke the scoring record at the MLK Classic going for 42 points (7-12 from 3) and 7 assists tonight. He is also surging.

It wasn't long ago Judah Mintz decommitted and this team was in shambles a year ago with quite a few people wanting change for the head coach. Capel has a chance to turn non believers into believers in the next couple months. Lets see if this team can get the job done before passing the torch to the talented newcomers. The opportunity is there for the taking. Capel and this team need to get the job done.
What's amazing is even you were saying you had seen enough at the beginning of the season. ;-)

What's amazing is even you were saying you had seen enough at the beginning of the season. ;-)

I was and Ill admit it 100%. It wasnt until the game against Alabama State, one of the 10 or so worst teams in all of college basketball. We were on the verge of going down 10 points on our home floor at halftime in one of the worst halves of Pitt basketball I had ever watched, if not the worst I had ever watched. It was at that point I was finally ready to throw the towel in on Capel.

And its like the switch got flipped right at that point. Lets hope it continues.

On top of that,

I sure hope we don't actually need to go 10-3 the rest of the way to get into the tournament, although 15-5 would make it a slam dunk. I hope 8-5 is good enough, but less than that probably won't do it. But for the reasons you stated 10-3 is a very good goal and it's not impossible. Maybe 9-4 is little bit better goal. 14-6 in the ACC and 21-10 overall gets us in.

I sure hope we don't actually need to go 10-3 the rest of the way to get into the tournament, although 15-5 would make it a slam dunk. I hope 8-5 is good enough, but less than that probably won't do it. But for the reasons you stated 10-3 is a very good goal and it's not impossible. Maybe 9-4 is little bit better goal. 14-6 in the ACC and 21-10 overall gets us in.

I dont think we necessarily need 10-3 to get in, although 8-5 things may get dicey if we lose early in the ACC Tournament. The Quad 1 wins will help a lot.

But I think 10-3 is doable. And, why not go for it, things are set up right now to hit that mark.

I dont think we necessarily need 10-3 to get in, although 8-5 things may get dicey if we lose early in the ACC Tournament. The Quad 1 wins will help a lot.

But I think 10-3 is doable. And, why not go for it, things are set up right now to hit that mark.
I agree that 8-5 could be dicey.

Reactions: jctrack
10-3 should be the goal for this team which puts us at 22-9 to finish the regular season. That should be enough I think to get in the tournament.

?????

22-9/15-5 and this team is a 6-8 seed. That would be way more than required. 13-7 + not getting bounced early in Greensboro like Wake does it.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I don't think 8-5 will be enough. Because that means we either

A) lost every game remaining against Quad 1 and 2 teams.

Or

B) lost some games to Quad 3 and 4 teams.

Our schedule strength is weak. Our NET is weak.

If we go just 8-5, we will need at least 1 and probably 2 wins in the ACCT.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I don't think 8-5 will be enough. Because that means we either

A) lost every game remaining against Quad 1 and 2 teams.

Or

B) lost some games to Quad 3 and 4 teams.

Our schedule strength is weak. Our NET is weak.

If we go just 8-5, we will need at least 1 and probably 2 wins in the ACCT.

I agree. I'm kinda thinking 8-5 + an ACC tournament win.

Reactions: jctrack and cabe23
I agree. I'm kinda thinking 8-5 + an ACC tournament win.
Bottom line... 9 more wins of any kind, we're probably in, but not 100%.

10 more wins of any kind, we're a lock. So let's just get 10 in the regular season so the ACCT is for seeding purposes only.

Reactions: Elsalvador

10 more wins of any kind, we're a lock. So let's just get 10 in the regular season so the ACCT is for seeding purposes only.
I agree with this also.

I agree with this also.

You guys thinking 15-5 is our only hope is crazy to me. I have been dogging the ACC for years, but if we go 14-6, we are a 1 million percent lock even if we lose by 30 in ACCT Game 1. 13-7 and we MAY need to win a game in Greensboro but not necessarily. A lot depends on what our Quad 1s look like. UNC slipped to Quad 2 which really hurts us. Will they finish in the Top 30? Northwestern is a Q1 win right now but its hard to believe they'll finish in the Top 70.

Need/gotta beat those lesser teams. You just know there’ll be a couple duds, but hopefully bear a Miami and UNC again.
It can’ttttt hurt either, but other teams Pitt beat and/or loss to, hopefully they keep winning too. So the losses don’t look bad and the wind look better. Quadrant wins/losses.
Vandy
NW
WVU
Michigan.
VCU
All of the ACC ones.

Every little bit counts. Maybe it’s the NET that’s used.

All this sounds great, but one game at a time please. It seems every time I get optimistic, I get punched in the gut. I am nervous about every game. This team has senior leadership, but we don't have depth inside right now. have to fix the defensive rebounding problem. If we play D, like we did in the second half yesterday, we will be tough to beat.

All this sounds great, but one game at a time please. It seems every time I get optimistic, I get punched in the gut. I am nervous about every game. This team has senior leadership, but we don't have depth inside right now. have to fix the defensive rebounding problem. If we play D, like we did in the second half yesterday, we will be tough to beat.
I thought our first shot defense yesterday looked very good. It was just cleaning up the rebounds that was the problem.

Schedule will come into focus with the weary legs thing. If games are spaced properly given the opponent that will matter. We can already see some fatigue with the short bench. And no, I haven’t looked at the schedule past ‘ville.

Reactions: jctrack
I was and Ill admit it 100%. It wasnt until the game against Alabama State, one of the 10 or so worst teams in all of college basketball. We were on the verge of going down 10 points on our home floor at halftime in one of the worst halves of Pitt basketball I had ever watched, if not the worst I had ever watched. It was at that point I was finally ready to throw the towel in on Capel.

And its like the switch got flipped right at that point. Lets hope it continues.
Do you know if we're in on any big men I feel we're in desperate need for some talented big men

On top of that,

As I just posted this morning--Sagarin's computer's "recent" ratings also predict that 10-3 the rest of the way is a possibility.

Reactions: cabe23
Do you know if we're in on any big men I feel we're in desperate need for some talented big men

In 2024, 2 names to watch are Thomas Sorber and Royce Parham. Ive been hyping Sorber since last summer and his national ranking is going to continue to go way up. Sorber visited Pitt unofficially. We have been recruiting him hard and have visited him and watched his games including recently. We are also recruiting Sorber's AAU teammate hard, Jalil Bethea, an ace 3 point shooter in 2024. on the wing Bethea also just visited Pitt unofficially. These 2 are big time talents. Parham has been to Pitt multiple times as a 2024 big. Pitt is in his Top 5 or so and Parham is a Top 75ish talent in 2024.

Pitt has spent some time on Braden Pierce. Im not sure we are going to get a visit yet, but he says he is still fairly open. Maryland is getting a visit from him upcoming. He is a top 150 3 star right now. I have not watched Pierce much.

Most bigs take time to develop. I would expect Pitt to look in the transfer portal which is where we have had recent luck with getting quality players.

With all that said above, I really want Sorber and Bethea, but they are 2024 players.

Reactions: Elsalvador
In 2024, 2 names to watch are Thomas Sorber and Royce Parham. Ive been hyping Sorber since last summer and his national ranking is going to continue to go way up. Sorber visited Pitt unofficially. We have been recruiting him hard and have visited him and watched his games including recently. We are also recruiting Sorber's AAU teammate hard, Jalil Bethea, an ace 3 point shooter in 2024. on the wing Bethea also just visited Pitt unofficially. These 2 are big time talents. Parham has been to Pitt multiple times as a 2024 big. Pitt is in his Top 5 or so and Parham is a Top 75ish talent in 2024.

Pitt has spent some time on Braden Pierce. Im not sure we are going to get a visit yet, but he says he is still fairly open. Maryland is getting a visit from him upcoming. He is a top 150 3 star right now. I have not watched Pierce much.

Most bigs take time to develop. I would expect Pitt to look in the transfer portal which is where we have had recent luck with getting quality players.

With all that said above, I really want Sorber and Bethea, but they are 2024 players.
I like Parham but not as an ACC big

I keep hearing he's a PSU lean anyways
A10 is where he should go if he’s gonna be a big. I thought he was more of a wing.

He was the only western PA prospect who didn’t look out of place at WVU open gym late last summer. Rest of them were outclassed and out physicaled. No Meleek that day though.

Reactions: Drew1208
At 8-5 and 13-7, it will be too close to call. We need at least 14.

The NET rankings in the Q1/Q2 range can shift a lot with still 13+ games to go. For example, VCU is now a Q2 loss, UNC dropped from a Q1 to Q2 win, and Cuse is now a Q2 instead of Q3 win.

The two guys I really want us to push hard for in 2024 now that we have Cummings are Malachi Palmer and Moses Hipps. I know we’re kicking tires on Matar Diop for 2023, but I really don’t think we’re in a bad spot for frontcourt depth right now. Hugley and/or Hinson leaving might change that.

Reactions: Drew1208 and cabe23
The two guys I really want us to push hard for in 2024 now that we have Cummings are Malachi Palmer and Moses Hipps. I know we’re kicking tires on Matar Diop for 2023, but I really don’t think we’re in a bad spot for frontcourt depth right now. Hugley and/or Hinson leaving might change that.
I don’t think they have the slightest shot at Malachi Palmer.

Hipps needs to develop his offense. He's a good shooter but is a stand still shooter and looks a lot like Marlon Barnes right now in that department. Hipps tried to play up last year in the EYBL and was over his head playing for a really good team in the NJ Scholars. He doesn't have near the ability right now of Carrington in the pullup game or driving the ball to the rim or with playmaking. He could develop his offense going into the summer but right now I think he is pretty accurately ranked around 150-200 and is a 3 star talent right now. We need a shooter I agree, but he would not be near my first choice right now unless he improves quite a bit or we miss out on other targets.

How big is he and what position do you think he plays in college?
About 6’7, 6’8. He has a good handle and is a pretty decent athlete so I see him more of a 4 than a 5. Obviously plays 5 out of need on North Hills but not sure his body could handle the additional weight needed to bang in a major conference. I could see him even getting some time at the 3.

Considering we have the
twins and Fede I would
think a Big out of the
portal is very important.
We need someoe who can
immediately come in and
play. The three we have
are still developing. The
frosh Bigs you mention
would be great get but
and experienced Big is
even better. I'm assuming
our three will return.

Hopefully the twins play a big role next season. Pitt needs to hit the portal for a guy or two. The roster is a poster child for transfer success.

I don’t think they have the slightest shot at Malachi Palmer.

Inside information or guess? Or are you thinking even bigger schools will get involved here with him which is what I am hoping doesn't happen with Sorber.

Palmer had an early top 5 schools he was talking to and we were mentioned in there with Oklahoma State, Villanova, Maryland, and ASU. That was in December. He's also been to Pitt once already.

This was a recent quote in the last month from Jamie Shaw on Palmer on Pitt:

Pittsburgh: “I love the coaching staff. Me and the coaches are super close, one of the assistant coaches, Gilbert Brown, is from Harrisburg, so there is a connection there.”

Its also been mentioned that he can reclass.

Hopefully the twins play a big role next season. Pitt needs to hit the portal for a guy or two. The roster is a poster child for transfer success.

You usually dont see kids stay and improve anymore but the twins, Jeffress, and Fede are the type of players who can make massive improvements over a year or 2. Those guys + Hinson, a healed Hugley, plus the recruiting class and Dior and its a very very attractive team for a transfer or 2.

PG - Dior
SG - transfer
SF - Hinson (in the Sam Young "playing down" role)
PF - Hugley
C - Fede or transfer

Jeffress, the twins, and the freshmen off the bench. That can be a good team if everyone buys in.

You usually dont see kids stay and improve anymore but the twins, Jeffress, and Fede are the type of players who can make massive improvements over a year or 2. Those guys + Hinson, a healed Hugley, plus the recruiting class and Dior and its a very very attractive team for a transfer or 2.

PG - Dior
SG - transfer
PF - Hugley
C - Fede or transfer

Jeffress, the twins, and the freshmen off the bench. That can be a good team if everyone buys in.
There’s no way Hugley would be an effective 4 in the ACC. We’ve got a bunch of 4’s on the roster right now, and Hugley’s not one of them.

Inside information or guess? Or are you thinking even bigger schools will get involved here with him which is what I am hoping doesn't happen with Sorber.

Palmer had an early top 5 schools he was talking to and we were mentioned in there with Oklahoma State, Villanova, Maryland, and ASU. That was in December. He's also been to Pitt once already.

This was a recent quote in the last month from Jamie Shaw on Palmer on Pitt:

Pittsburgh: “I love the coaching staff. Me and the coaches are super close, one of the assistant coaches, Gilbert Brown, is from Harrisburg, so there is a connection there.”

Its also been mentioned that he can reclass.
I know Palmer but I’m not gonna Text him and ask him if he’s going to Pitt. Just doesn’t feel like a kid they’ll get.

Reactions: Ski11585

PG - Dior
SG - transfer
PF - Hugley
C - Fede or transfer

1. Dior 99 percent won’t be here
2. Hugley is probably about 75 percent out.
3. You wanna take the guy who can’t guard any 5’s competently and put him on 4’s?

1. Dior 99 percent won’t be here
2. Hugley is probably about 75 percent out.
3. You wanna take the guy who can’t guard any 5’s competently and put him on 4’s?

Is Dior still going to Western Kentucky?

Also, yes, I'd try Hugley as the 4 so Fede can guard the 5 and I would try to take advantage of matchup problems with a 4 trying to guard Hugley. Lets not pretend like the ACC has super-skilled 4's. I'd also throw some zone in there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT