ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Commissioner on the Packer Durham

TFBaum

Junior
Jan 22, 2020
As you know I love the ACC however the commissioner should have something more than UNC paraphernalia.

When Pitt was invited and accepted into the ACC, Pitt was immediately granted s full share of conference revenues, same as all the other incumbents.

The B1G and BigXII paid out only partial shares to their most recent members. Not sure if RU and UMD are getting a full share yet? I know WVU was also paid less than the full amount for a number of years by the BigXII.

Tell me one action that the ACC has done to screw Pitt?
How about instead of 2 bye weeks like all other teams they gave Pitt one at the end of the season. Surprised they didn’t give Pitt the first and last week off. Maybe then you admit the ACC screwed Pitt.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
ACC is about to have a commissioner who will NOT be a Tobacco Road proponent. Jim Clements and the rest of the presidents/universities will be in good hands.
Tell how the best interest of UNC and Duke somehow have harmed Pitt or UVA or BC? Where has any school in the ACC been screwed by “Tobacco Road”.

Reactions: jtbuba
When Pitt was invited and accepted into the ACC, Pitt was immediately granted s full share of conference revenues, same as all the other incumbents.

The B1G and BigXII paid out only partial shares to their most recent members. Not sure if RU and UMD are getting a full share yet? I know WVU was also paid less than the full amount for a number of years by the BigXII.

I believe it Nebraska took 6 years for Nebraska to get their first full year. That's how slow the ramp up is.

Maryland got a loan up front to avoid cutting sports that will come out of future shares.

Rutgers isn't getting a full share until 2027.

Then this year, what will their shares be worth?

Pitt and SU got full shares beginning year 1.

Last edited:
How about instead of 2 bye weeks like all other teams they gave Pitt one at the end of the season. Surprised they didn’t give Pitt the first and last week off. Maybe then you admit the ACC screwed Pitt.

I look at it like this: Finish in the top 2; then the bye week at the end gives Pitt an extra week to prepare for the ACCCG vs Clemson (or whoever).

Last edited:
I believe it Nebraska took 6 years for Nebraska to get their first full year. That's how slow the ramp up is.

Maryland got a loan up front to avoid cutting sports that will come out of future shares.

Rutgers isn't getting a full share until 2027.

Then this year, what will their shares be worth?

Pitt and SU got full shares beginning year 1.

The ACC treated Pitt and SU as EQUALS in terms of revenue sharing immediately. That's the way new conference members who are welcomed as valued members should be treated, IMO.

Reactions: Dan1911 and TFBaum

We also don't have a road game until Oct 10

How about instead of 2 bye weeks like all other teams they gave Pitt one at the end of the season.

You understand that in a league with 15 teams (this season) that there had to be one team that was off the last week of the season, right? So was that team screwed, no matter who it was or how they picked it? What if they just drew a team at random? Would that mean that the ACC screwed them, or would it have been god's fault?

Reactions: ThePanthers
You understand that in a league with 15 teams (this season) that there had to be one team that was off the last week of the season, right? So was that team screwed, no matter who it was or how they picked it? What if they just drew a team at random? Would that mean that the ACC screwed them, or would it have been god's fault?

The team with the last week off should have been ND!

They are only playing a full conference schedule because of Covid-19. ND should have RIGHTFULLY gotten the short end of the stick!

Reactions: Amigo3
The team with the last week off should have been ND!

They are only playing a full conference schedule because of Covid-19. ND should have RIGHTFULLY gotten the short end of the stick!

A team that thinks that it is a legitimate ACC championship game contender would most likely welcome an off week in the last week of the season. If Notre Dame got the last week off and then ended up playing Clemson for the conference championship everyone would be saying that Notre Dame had an unfair advantage by getting a week off before the championship game, while Clemson would be playing without a week off to rest and prepare.

And remember nerdy did NOT get us in . BC blackballed uconn the first choice repeat after me nerdy did not do shi&

Yep because bc weilds that much power. If the acc wanted uconn they would have invited them.

No, no, BC's 1 vote out of 12 was the difference. You know, Boston Jesuits are the real power brokers in Tobacco Road.

UConn's gotta believe in something in this era of football-driven athletics.

Yes, Pitt going to the ACC is AWESOME and they HAD to do it however many years ago now. Whether it hurt our basketball team/recruiting per Dixon or whatever with football, it was a no brainer to do it. But the ACC does favor UNC and Duke. The scheduling of games this year shows it.

Yes, Pitt going to the ACC is AWESOME and they HAD to do it however many years ago now. Whether it hurt our basketball team/recruiting per Dixon or whatever with football, it was a no brainer to do it. But the ACC does favor UNC and Duke. The scheduling of games this year shows it.
Absolutely, those tobacco roaders hate the north. They are absolutely still fighting the civil war!!!!! They will screw Pitt every chance they get.

Reactions: Elsalvador
Absolutely, those tobacco roaders hate the north. They are absolutely still fighting the civil war!!!!! They will screw Pitt every chance they get.
Please tell me how. Please tell me the “schedule” you want? Why would a conference screw a member? Why would a conference hurt part of its product? The ACC had the conference wrestling championship at Pitt. I get they are not playing the ACC basketball tournament at Sto Rox but what conference do you want to be in?

It’s known by everyone outside of the ACC that Pitt and Syracuse are that conference’s version of WVU to XII. Just doesn’t make much sense BUT all 3 had to do it. Boston College also doesn’t make sense in ACC. WVU makes more sense in southern-based ACC than BC, Syracuse and Pitt. These schools make more sense in a northern conference like Big East....metro schools (Syracuse is still city school given ties to NYC). Cincinnati also makes sense in such a league. Louisville makes more sense in ACC. Culture means a lot. Pitt is more B1G than ACC.

I think Backyard Brawl is one of the most unique rivalries in college sports. Two schools that hate each other AND aren’t culturally aligned in any way.

I would make the case that WVU is “more XII” than Pitt is “more ACC”. Culturally, we fit VERY well with many schools in XII. The geographical distance often overshadows this fact.

We also would be a “fit” in the SEC. Wayyyy more than Missouri...which should be a B1G team.

Last edited:
It’s known by everyone outside of the ACC that Pitt and Syracuse are that conference’s version of WVU to XII. Just doesn’t make much sense BUT all 3 had to do it. Boston College also doesn’t make sense in ACC. WVU makes more sense in southern-based ACC than BC, Syracuse and Pitt. These schools make more sense in a northern conference like Big East....metro schools (Syracuse is still city school given ties to NYC). Cincinnati also makes sense in such a league. Louisville makes more sense in ACC. Culture means a lot. Pitt is more B1G than ACC.

I think Backyard Brawl is one of the most unique rivalries in college sports. Two schools that hate each other AND aren’t culturally aligned in any way.

I would make the case that WVU is “more XII” than Pitt is “more ACC”. Culturally, we fit VERY well with many schools in XII. The geographical distance often overshadows this fact.

We also would be a “fit” in the SEC. Wayyyy more than Missouri...which should be a B1G team.

LOL, no.

7 of 15 ACC schools are former members of the Big East. 6 members are in major cities. Pitt is sixth in size by enrollment. 6 schools are private, 8 are public, with Pitt being a hybrid. The conference covers the best areas in the east to recruit from. Pitt historically has played schools in the east. The ACC has the highest academically ranked collection of schools of any power conference. Pitt is right where it should be.

Last edited:

Regardless of your over valued perception of WVU, for them to get into a better conference, the ACC or the SEC would have to have a similar opinion of their value, and neither did.

WVU is extremely lucky to not be in the AAC.

They don't fit at all in the Big Xll, but should be grateful to have a home.

No doubt that you are correct about them not having much value to SEC/ACC at time of last round of realignment. Not one city in the entire state. Cable subscriptions were entirety of the decision making at that time, thus, why a Pitt, Syracuse (gets NYC views) were more attractive than WVU. I know for a fact that academics played next to zero role....further enhanced with the subsequent addition of Louisville. In hindsight, the ACC would’ve been better served to approach WVU and Louisville and allow the metro schools to play in Big East.

We have a ton of alumni in DC, Charlotte, Atlanta and Columbus. Our viewership typically tops Pitt even when we have down seasons. Pitt isn’t watched by most of its residents (Pittsburgh)...and that’s entirely ok.

It’s a metro campus without many fans. Fine for college hoops....just not football.

No doubt that you are correct about them not having much value to SEC/ACC at time of last round of realignment. Not one city in the entire state. Cable subscriptions were entirety of the decision making at that time, thus, why a Pitt, Syracuse (gets NYC views) were more attractive than WVU. I know for a fact that academics played next to zero role....further enhanced with the subsequent addition of Louisville. In hindsight, the ACC would’ve been better served to approach WVU and Louisville and allow the metro schools to play in Big East.

We have a ton of alumni in DC, Charlotte, Atlanta and Columbus. Our viewership typically tops Pitt even when we have down seasons. Pitt isn’t watched by most of its residents (Pittsburgh)...and that’s entirely ok.

It’s a metro campus without many fans. Fine for college hoops....just not football.

Pitt living alumni: 336,795
Syracuse living alumni: 258,483
WVU living alumni: >200,000

2019 college football season average viewers per Nielsen rated broadcast
Pitt 1,712,000
Syracuse: 1,425,200
WVU 1,325,800

If Louisville had gotten the open B12 slot in 2012, then WVU may have been Maryland's replacement. The ACC could not pick and choose based on non-athletic criteria at that time. But there's unfavorable history between WVU and the ACC old guard going back to the Southern Conference, so even that wouldn't have been a sure thing.

BTW, Pitt lobbied for WVU's inclusion in 2011, first for the B12 when Pitt was a target, and then for the ACC.

Last edited:
Tell me one action that the ACC has done to screw Pitt?

See the revised schedule for football this year and all NC teams dodging Clemson?

How about sweeping UNCs athlete fake classes scandal under the rug so they can continue to cheat with impunity?

Yes, you are a better fit in the ACC than pitt...except for that academics thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT